Seward to Fairbanks is this possible?

chaswelf

Thinking of taking a cruise that will end in seward early on a Friday morning. Would this be possible?

Friday get off ship, train to anc and then rent a car and drive to denali, arrive early evening.

Saturday, tour denali with either a tour or shuttle

Sunday, drive on to Fairbanks for a late afternoon flight.

I've done some research that would say this could be possible but looking for expert advice.

Thanks, Charlie

Are you looking at the cruise contracted train? (the regularly scheduled train from Seward to Anchorage is 6pm - 10).

Yes, it's definitely do-able. Depends on your travel style and how much you like driving. I've driven Seward to Denali in a day ! But I enjoy scenic driving and I make lots of stops .... the stops make it a longer day but it's more interesting than a straight 5 hr shot.

The drive from Anchorage to Denali is usually 5 hrs, but you can easily get held up for an hour due to road construction. Plus there are a few interesting places to stop along the way. Check this web site for slowdowns/construction updates:

http://511.alaska.gov/alaska511/mappingcomponent/index

p.s. it takes about 3 hrs for the denali to Fairbanks leg, but I usually stop in Nenana for pie and a look around :>)

http://www.alaska.org/advice/mileage-chart

Edited by mapleleaves

Thinking of taking a cruise that will end in seward early on a Friday morning. Would this be possible?

Friday get off ship, train to anc and then rent a car and drive to denali, arrive early evening.

I've done some research that would say this could be possible but looking for expert advice.

Thanks, Charlie

I would rent the car in Seward . Have a short visit in Seward then drive to Girdwood near Anchorage . Denali is about 5 hrs but add a couple of extra hrs for road construction. Denali to Fairbanks about the same .

You'll find that road construction is all do in the summer in Alaska and most parts of Canada.

p.s. it takes about 3 hrs for the denali to Fairbanks leg, but I usually stop in Nenana for pie and a look around :>)

http://www.alaska.org/advice/mileage-chart

I would rent the car in Seward . Have a short visit in Seward then drive to Girdwood near Anchorage . Denali is about 5 hrs but add a couple of extra hrs for road construction. Denali to Fairbanks about the same .

You'll find that road construction is all do in the summer in Alaska and most parts of Canada.

The drive from the entrance of Denali National Park to Fairbanks takes about two hours assuming no construction delays. The Fairbanks Daily News-Miner, our local newspaper, has already written some stories about the 2016 construction projects on the Parks Highway, and it appears that the major areas of construction in 2016 will be just south of the entrance to Denali National Park.

Thanks, Charlie

Yes, you can do this, but your arrival in Denali may be later than you think. Other than that, and potential traffic delays you should have no trouble with this, but Friday is going to be a long day.

Thanks, Charlie

Nope- something I would never recommend. You are on a marathon road trip, with underestimating time and distances. Biggest "problem" no time for doing anything as you drive by. Alaska = looking at it from the road, is grossly lacking and minimal opportunity.

With you current plan, you can only do this with taking the cruise contracted train that leaves at 7am. Which means, missing Seward.

Since you must be ok with the high one way car rental possibility, then as suggested above, rent from Avis, right out of Seward. You are looking at allowing at least 9 hours of driving. I always recommend allowing 6 hours, Anchorage/Denali.

Years ago when the cruise we were on ended in Seward we rented a limo to come pick us up and take us to Anchorage. There were 6 of us, we got to see the sights and I think we even stopped for some photo ops along the way. We drove to Wasilla from Anchorage to visit friends and spent the night. The next day we drove to Denali, spent the night and the following day did our tour of the park. I'm pretty sure we had another day in the area after that. We then drove to Fairbanks and toured there for a day or two. I think you're trying to fit way too much in such a short time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since you must be ok with the high one way car rental possibility, then as suggested above, rent from Avis, right out of Seward. You are looking at allowing at least 9 hours of driving. I always recommend allowing 6 hours, Anchorage/Denali.

If you drive from Seward, it is HERTZ you must rent from. No other rental company in Seward :)

Thanks all, I think we will give this a shot, We are not worried about the drive we drive a lot normally. We know we will leave a number of potentially good stops along the way but we are traveling with our adult children and they have work schedules that limit our time away. Thanks again!

Thanks all, I think we will give this a shot, We are not worried about the drive we drive a lot normally. We know we will leave a number of potentially good stops along the way but we are traveling with our adult children and they have work schedules that limit our time away. Thanks again!

Considering how many people get off the ship in Seward or Whittier and fly directly home - I commend you for trying to see more in your limited time! In my opinion, a "marathon road trip" still beats NO trip!

Edited by NancyIL

Please ignore teh naysayers. They have their own agendas and don't realize that people have destinations in mind not the stuff along the way. You are going to really enjoy your trip.

Too much sitting and not enough doing. 9 or 10 hours on Friday, another 6-8 hours on the shuttle bus into the park on Saturday and then a couple hours to Fairbanks. Also, your chances are better that you won’t even see the mountain due to weather/clouds than you will see it. Wildlife is usually a given though.

Most the posters aren’t naysayers with agendas, they’re just trying to help maximize your time since you posted.

One option for Denali you might think about. We took the bus in and while we were having lunch at the restaurant, a guy came through offering plane rides out of the park for a price. We took him up on the offer and saw some amazing scenery including the mountain and got out much faster than if we had taken the bus back out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk