Any benefits to a Handicap Suite?

kevingastreich

Are there any benefits of a handicap suite over a "regular" suite? Of course I am talking about benefits to a passenger who does not require a handicap suite. Our PCC booked us into one once and we had them change it but now I'm wondering if we gave up something we should have kept? Thanks.

Are there any benefits of a handicap suite over a "regular" suite? Of course I am talking about benefits to a passenger who does not require a handicap suite. Our PCC booked us into one once and we had them change it but now I'm wondering if we gave up something we should have kept? Thanks.

There is less storage space, a smaller couch (if you have one at all) and other detriments for passenger who does not require a handicap cabin but advantages for someone confined to a wheelchair. I am actually surprised that your PCC booked you into one if you don't need it.

Just got off of the NA in a handicap suite. There are only 6 handicap (assessable}suites on HAL ships. I had booked a Neptune Suite Guarantee (Saved $800} and a week before the cruise HAL upgraded me to a Neptune Suite SA room 7058. Unfortunate the room is a handicap room. The problem for me was I was traveling with my son-in-law and we are both over 6'3". The shower in the bathroom is a rollin shower and the toilet is in the shower. If someone had just taken a shower and you went to use the toilet your feet would get wet. That configuration forced us to use the tub shower which was not convenient.

That being said the room was near the elevator and Neptune Lounge which was a major plus.

However for some reason I think the OP was not talking about a suite but talking about a cabin.

There comes a point when if no one has booked the HC cabins, they are released to the general public....if it's given to you (and you want it), there is NO NEED to feel guilty. I would prefer NOT to have the higher toilet, and grab bars!

On my trip... the disabled cabins cost extra.

The doorway is likely wider for a wheelchair to be pushed into a cabin. In a regular cabin, the wheelchair rider needs to walk from the doorway to the bed (past the closet and bathroom). The wheelchair needs to be folded/collapsed to be brought into the cabin.

I need the wheelchair accessible room and having trouble finding one I have been looking at Holland because I couldn't find one on the cruise line I wanted for the first part of 2016. Guess there does come a time when someone cancels and one opens up.

A handicap accessible cabin does not mean only someone with a handicap can stay in it, just like a handicap accessible toilet stall does not mean only those with a handicap may use it.

Yes, HA cabins should be available for those that need it but at some point it may be determined that nobody needs it and it becomes available for anyone rather than sail empty.

Edited by Boytjie

I will never/ever book another cruise with HA on-board again!!! Don't use them! I wanted an immediate room assignment. She said she could not do it. I naively thought that would be OK, since she would guarantee us an equivalent suite (we booked a Signature Suite, SY).

We ended up with this disabled suite: 1/3 of the space in the cabin was a huge shower and a toilet. So sad to think that someone really disablesdcould have used it.

Just got off of the NA in a handicap suite. There are only 6 handicap (assessable}suites on HAL ships. I had booked a Neptune Suite Guarantee (Saved $800} and a week before the cruise HAL upgraded me to a Neptune Suite SA room 7058. Unfortunate the room is a handicap room. The problem for me was I was traveling with my son-in-law and we are both over 6'3". The shower in the bathroom is a rollin shower and the toilet is in the shower. If someone had just taken a shower and you went to use the toilet your feet would get wet. That configuration forced us to use the tub shower which was not convenient.

That being said the room was near the elevator and Neptune Lounge which was a major plus.

However for some reason I think the OP was not talking about a suite but talking about a cabin.

We were in that same room once. That it was very inconvenient. The bathroom is very difficult and then only has one low sink.

We were very unhappy in that room. We also were given that room as a guarantee.

Never again!

Terri

Trust me when I say no one who "has" to book a HA room wants to be in the position of needing one. Of course anyone can use the HA but I have to fill out a medical form when I request a HA stateroom. I guess when someone just books one for the heck of it they don't have to do that?

Plus HA bathrooms are only there because of the ADA law, but yes anyone can go in one if they want. I know I have waited ten minutes waiting for the only stall I can use to come empty while ten other stalls are not in use.

Handicap parking is another whole issue lol. Was not trying to be smart just pointing out that yes there are some of us that cannot go on a cruise, or have a bathroom available if people use these when it is not necessary.

No cruise line in its right mind would leave a stateroom empty just waiting for someone with a disability to book it I do realize at some point it has to be open to the general public.

A WA room should be kept for wheelchair access only. For HAL to foist those on anyone at anytime, or at the last minute because they are available, is wrong.

The SY 5002/1 are total crap for anyone paying an SY fare (unless one actually needs it).

They have no whirlpool bath, a tiny couch, windy verandah, and the location is quite poor.

nuff said......

Edited by jpelleti007

A WA room should be kept for wheelchair access only. For HAL to foist those on anyone at anytime, or at the last minute because they are available, is wrong.

The SY 5002/1 are total crap for anyone paying an SY fare (unless one actually needs it).

They have no whirlpool bath, a tiny couch, windy verandah, and the location is quite poor.

nuff said......

You would rather HAL sail with empty cabins?

That's no way to run a business.

If no one who needs the cabin reserves it, the cabin will be given to someone as an "upgrade" and that person's cabin sold again, rather than sail with empty cabins if they can possibly prevent it.

You would rather HAL sail with empty cabins?

That's no way to run a business.

If no one who needs the cabin reserves it, the cabin will be given to someone as an "upgrade" and that person's cabin sold again, rather than sail with empty cabins if they can possibly prevent it.

Well if they assign those as an upsell from a lesser cabin, then fine, I guess.

My complaint was about my situation when I booked an SY guarantee, and was assigned this 5002 cabin.

There are not so many WA cabins, and its not like HAL is going to go bankrupt on not foisting those on unwilling pax.

Edited by jpelleti007

Well if they assign those as an upsell from a lesser cabin, then fine, I guess.

My complaint was about my situation when I booked an SY guarantee, and was assigned this 5002 cabin.

There are not so many WA cabins, and its not like HAL is going to go bankrupt on not foisting those on unwilling pax.

You booked an SY Guarantee, yes? That means you agreed to being assigned any cabin of the category SY or better -- in HAL's eyes, not necessarily yours.

You were assigned an SY cabin, yes? It was an accessible cabin, but it was an SY category nonetheless. I fail to see the problem. HAL fulfilled its contractual obligation. When you agree to a guarantee cabin, you agree to take the cabin you are assigned. If you do not want particular cabins, it's better to book specific cabins when you make the cruise reservation.

Edited by ellieanne

"... but it was an SY category nonetheless".

Yes. Lesson learned, at least for me. I no longer book unless I have reviewed deck plans/suite layout and get a specific suite assignment. YMMV.

Booking 1 year ahead for a lousy $100 OBC was a mistake. Never again.

I will never/ever book another cruise with HA on-board again!!! Don't use them! I wanted an immediate room assignment. She said she could not do it. I naively thought that would be OK, since she would guarantee us an equivalent suite (we booked a Signature Suite, SY).

We ended up with this disabled suite: 1/3 of the space in the cabin was a huge shower and a toilet. So sad to think that someone really disablesdcould have used it.

When we used to book cruises while on a cruise, we were always able to select the cabin that we wanted. And sometimes we just bought the FCD and booked a cruise through our TA -- still getting to select the cabin of our choice.

Now with health issues and not knowing when and if we can cruise, we don't bother booking future cruises while on the ship.

Guess the rules have changed since we last bought them.

I think the big issue here is not the fact that OP was assigned the handicapped cabin but that their TA actually booked it for them and when they found out about it, did get it changed.

OP was just wondering if they had made a mistake of changing from the handicapped cabin -- wondering what perks they had missed.

I got the impression that OP was now thinking of booking a handicapped cabin because there might be perks.

Getting assigned a handicapped cabin close to sailing date is a different story as HAL (and possibly other cruise lines) want to fill their cabins. That is just the luck of the draw when you book guarantee cabins.

"... but it was an SY category nonetheless".

Yes. Lesson learned, at least for me. I no longer book unless I have reviewed deck plans/suite layout and get a specific suite assignment. YMMV.

Booking 1 year ahead for a lousy $100 OBC was a mistake. Never again.

Just purchase a Future Cruise Deposit while onboard. You get the same OBC as booking while onboard but you are able to book whenever you want while back onland (using HAL or your TA). Further, you likely will get an email from HAL offering to double your OBC if you book within 60 days.

I think the big issue here is not the fact that OP was assigned the handicapped cabin but that their TA actually booked it for them and when they found out about it, did get it changed.

OP was just wondering if they had made a mistake of changing from the handicapped cabin -- wondering what perks they had missed.

I got the impression that OP was now thinking of booking a handicapped cabin because there might be perks.

Getting assigned a handicapped cabin close to sailing date is a different story as HAL (and possibly other cruise lines) want to fill their cabins. That is just the luck of the draw when you book guarantee cabins.

This is exactly what I thought. My concern is that a PCC would book that cabin for someone who didn't need it - UNLESS it was right before sail date and would otherwise sail empty.

There are lots of benefits to a handicap cabin---for those who need the amenities that cabin offers. For those who don't need the amenities? I doubt it very much.

I don't need the amenities a handicap cabin offers, other than the space to store my scooter. There are cabins on all the ships (except perhaps Prinsendam) that are not accessible, but have enough space, so that is what I have always booked. But whether or not there are such cabins on the Koningsdam is a great unknown, as of now, since no one has sailed on that ship and brought back first-hand reports. Hence, I have had to book a HA cabin.

I am concerned that I won't be as happy there as I have been in the non-HA which just have the extra floor space.

I wonder if I will have the toilet inside the shower curtain. I am reasonably sure I won't have that lovely shelf under the sink; I use every bit of that space, and will miss it. Will I have a couch? The love seat size is fine with me, but none at all means no place to sit and relax.

How about sufficient shelf, drawer, and closet space?

I think anyone who specifically books a HA cabin when they don't need it is not only being selfish, but is making a big mistake in terms of their own comfort.

Just off the Veendam a few weeks now and had an L inside in the bow. Across the hall, a gentleman who used a scooter had an OV. The cabin doors all along the hall were way too narrow to fit his scooter. Actually, I highly doubt that any scooter could get through the doorways. He ended up parking in the hall and his scooter took up 2/3 to 3/4 of the hall. We always knew when he was "home".

I don't know if HA includes info on door width or scooter accommodation for those who need it, but maybe that could be beneficial, and allow those who need those specific features ( bundled with a low lip shower and grab bars) can choose such a cabin, instead of the "full WCA" cabin.