Passport Issues - Beware

saroede97

I know that some states are "poo-pooing" the smile for driver's license photos because - and truthfully so - when you are pulled over and asked for your license, you're not likely going to be smiling.

However...if I'm on vacation and asked to show my passport, I will absolutely be smiling. I'm on vacation!! I smiled for my recent passport renewal photo and will do so 10 years from now (God willing) when I renew it again! :D

Good post!

Renewed ours about 2 weeks ago, also getting the card since NY does not comply with the Federal ID laws and we are flying in March after the strict ID rules go into effect. We were told 2-3 weeks for the renewal.

As long as our government doesn't do anything boneheaded like shut down for budget furloughs, applications for new and renewed passports will continue to come in on a daily basis and they will continue to be processed and mailed out on a daily basis.

... (and because I was getting my minor son's passport, I needed to have both parents present for the application process)....

Even when there is a furlough, they don't send EVERYONE home. They keep many many people on because their jobs are vital, and passport processing tends to be one of those. Some people in some offices might be furloughed (though during the last time it was pretty obvious that it was just the "takers" of applications, in some places, that were furloughed, not the people actually processing them) but furloughs by NO means mean that everyone is at home.

You really do NOT need both parents to be present. The parent with the more difficult schedule can have a form notarized easy peasy, and then you just bring that. A difficult schedule can make the notarization process tight, but at least you don't have to coordinate both adults and child to do it.

Not permitted to mail anymore

I'm glad for that. Your mention that "they bulk mail them out" made me really nervous!

I was just coming back to update that I had infact found my answer on that website as well. I always assume (I know I shouldn't) that because she is still a minor I would need both parents. Not that it couldn't be done as we get along, but just geographically not possible. lol

Even if she had been 15 you still didn't *have to* both be there. It's all spelled out on the state dept website, the options you have if you can't both be there.

Good post!

Renewed ours about 2 weeks ago, also getting the card since NY does not comply with the Federal ID laws and we are flying in March after the strict ID rules go into effect. We were told 2-3 weeks for the renewal.

You can just use the passport book for domestic travel ID. You don't have to have the passport card for that.

Editing to add: for those under 16, it's all here: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/under-16.html

"4. Parental Consent

Children under age 16 cannot apply for a passport by themselves.

Both parents/guardians must appear in person with the child and provide consent, authorizing passport issuance to the child. If one parent/guardian is unable to appear in person, then the DS-11 application must be accompanied by a signed, notarized Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent from the non-applying parent/guardian."

For those who can't get that, immediately after the above paragraph it gives even more options. They truly could not give us more useful info in regards to minors and their passports. :)

Edited by mollyeilis

Good post!

Wait, what card?? I'm from NY. Do I need to get something different besides a passport and drivers license for ID???

Wait, what card?? I'm from NY. Do I need to get something different besides a passport and drivers license for ID???

If you are from NY or several other states with drivers licenses that are not compliant with federal id regulations, you will need a passport to fly DOMESTICALLY as well as internationally.

If you already have a passport, you are fine. You just need to bring it with you wherever you fly, not just for international trips.

I believe the PP was referring to a passport card, which would be easier to carry and use for domestic flights. Of course New Yorkers have the option of obtaining an Enhanced Drivers License which is REAL ID compliant and may be used the same way that a passport card may be used.

I believe the PP was referring to a passport card, which would be easier to carry and use for domestic flights. Of course New Yorkers have the option of obtaining an Enhanced Drivers License which is REAL ID compliant and may be used the same way that a passport card may be used.

thank you!!

Your Passport is fine for travel.

According to NYS DMV, the deadline to obtain an Enhanced Drivers License

has been moved to Oct 2016 for NYS residents. It costs $30 and

must be applied for at the DMV.

Apparently, current NYS Drivers licenses

already meet partial criteria that Homeland Security is looking for.

So I suppose this warrants the extension.

After Oct 2016, you will need your passport to board a plane for

domestic travel unless you have the Enhanced Drivers license.

Probably best to get it at some point.

I renewed mine end of November and received the new one in less than 2 weeks. This was using regular service not expedited. I received an email from them saying they were processing it and would take 4 to 6 weeks but it arrived the next day.

Donna

We did the same. Mailed the evening of Nov 30th and got it back Dec 11, regular processing. :)

That crisis lasted about six months. The "Spring Break" crisis led to the "Summer Vacation" crisis because no one took into account lead times (at all), and although there was an increase in employee levels, it still wasn't perceived as "quick enough". Sure enough, by August, I believe, all backlogs were relieved.

A travel agent friend posted this on FB. It makes sense, all the people who got passports when the travel rules changed are up for renewal.

The passport “crisis” of 2007 is about to return in 2016, according to a senior government official, speaking at the recent ASTA Global Convention in Washington D.C.

Nearly a decade ago, new requirements mandating Americans to have passports for travel to Mexico and Canada led to a surge in applications and a backlog in processing the documents.

With many of those documents set to expire over the next 24 months, coupled with an increase in Americans traveling abroad (today 125 million U.S. citizens have passports), Brenda Sprague, deputy assistant secretary of Passport Services at the U.S. State Department, said, “If I haven’t scared you to death, I haven’t accomplished my mission.”

Sprague spoke during the ASTA’s first Global Travel Exchange, an event aimed at connecting international ASTA members with U.S. members.

She warned travel advisors to make sure the first thing they ask clients about the status of their current passports.

Renew—or apply—ASAP

Agents should advise clients to take care of passport renewals as soon as possible or, for those seeking a passport for the first time, to apply for one right away, Sprague said.

In addition to saving expedited processing fees, getting clients ahead of the curve will ensure they are not disappointed by not receiving their passports in time for their trips, she added.

Sprague also noted that it’s not true that there’s a specific waiting period before a passport expires before people can seek a renewal.

Another issue is that next January citizens who run out of visa pages will have to obtain a new passport instead of having additional pages inserted. Two options will be available: either 28 or 52 pages with no difference in cost.

Sprague noted that more than 90% of passports that are returned have less than two pages used.

Many countries require passports be valid for six months on arrival, so agents should check on this. Agents should also be aware that passports for children under 16 are valid only for five years.

Passport season

In the past “passport [application and renewal] season” began in mid-January, peaked in March and then ran steadily through August before trailing off, said Sprague.

Since last year, the trend has been for it to continue rising throughout the year. “This summer, it never slowed down,” Sprague noted.

While passports aren’t required for cruises that begin and end in U.S. ports, Sprague said agents should encourage clients to obtain passports anyway, noting that people may get sick or injured when visiting ports and have to fly back.

And when clients lose their passports, agents should have them check thoroughly before reporting it because once the passport is reported missing, it can’t be reinstated even if it’s found, Sprague said.

I know that some states are "poo-pooing" the smile for driver's license photos because - and truthfully so - when you are pulled over and asked for your license, you're not likely going to be smiling.

However...if I'm on vacation and asked to show my passport, I will absolutely be smiling. I'm on vacation!! I smiled for my recent passport renewal photo and will do so 10 years from now (God willing) when I renew it again! :D

I thought the no smile rule was because facial recognition software works better without smiling. I live in Virginia and we used to not be able to smile but now can smile with no teeth showing. The facial recognition reason was what a dmv employee told me.

Has everyone heard about the proposal to not allow boarding an aircraft with just the driver's license for identification? They are proposing that a passport be required.

Wrong -- the rule is for "proper" identification.

Read more here: If You’re From One of These Four States, You’ll Likely Need a Passport for a Domestic Flight

DH's passport expires July 2017. We are sailing around the horn, Chile to Argentina Jan 2017. I don't want to get caught with the 6-month expiration issue, I'm thinking send it for renewal by Oct/Nov 2016?

I would check first to see if it's really required by any of the countries you'll be visiting. The "six month rule" is typically for people who are flying into a country, not for people stopping through for a single day while on a cruise.

For example, the rules for people flying to Jamaica are different than the rules for people cruising with a stop in Jamaica.

No sense in losing out on almost a year of your passport's eligibility if it's not necessary.

DH's passport expires July 2017. We are sailing around the horn, Chile to Argentina Jan 2017. I don't want to get caught with the 6-month expiration issue, I'm thinking send it for renewal by Oct/Nov 2016?

Personally I would just renew it and not worry. If you are paying for that trip paying for 10% extra of losing a year on an adult passport would be a total peace of mind issue for me.

And that sounds like an incredible trip. Have fun!

Edited by cindivan

If you are from NY or several other states with drivers licenses that are not compliant with federal id regulations, you will need a passport to fly DOMESTICALLY as well as internationally.

If you already have a passport, you are fine. You just need to bring it with you wherever you fly, not just for international trips.

We ordered a passport card with our passport renewal, we do not want to carry our passport for domestic travel when the card will fit nicely in our wallets.

What we did was download the passport renewal forms from the Internet, fill them in, and send those in with our passports for renewal, via regular mail, in early November 2015 and got the new ones back exactly 3 weeks later.

I was (pleasantly) astounded, since they said it would take approx. 6 weeks.

Wrong -- the rule is for "proper" identification.

Read more here: If You’re From One of These Four States, You’ll Likely Need a Passport for a Domestic Flight

And this issue is, as I understand it, still very much up in the air. It is quite likely that DHS will grant further extensions, depending of course on the reasons for the states not being ready.