Concerns about Greece and Turkey ports

Tamara101

Hi everyone! Put a deposit down on a Mediterranean cruise that stops in Mykenos, Santorini, Ephaseus,Turkey (sp) and Athens. I just read an article that Disney has cancelled all their cruises to that area. I am now very uneasy about cruising there.

Does anyone else have the same fears? Thinking about cancelling now and seeing how things are next year. :(

Celebrity is extremely diligent with their itineraries. If needed, the ports will be changed.

We too have a cruise planned for Oct. 2016 with the same ports, followed by a Transatlantic cruise.

I know some posters will be concerned about last minute port changes. The world is changing so rapidly, that you have to have the mindset, that you'll be able to change your plans too.

I'm not fearful...just aware.

Celebrity cancelled overnight stops in Istanbul. The other ports in Turkey have have no problems whatsoever with demonstrations etc. Greece has had no problems anyplace except a couple of small islands (not where cruises port) being overwhelmed with refugees from Syria. Would return to Turkey in a blink.

Hi everyone! Put a deposit down on a Mediterranean cruise that stops in Mykenos, Santorini, Ephaseus,Turkey (sp) and Athens. I just read an article that Disney has cancelled all their cruises to that area. I am now very uneasy about cruising there.

Does anyone else have the same fears? Thinking about cancelling now and seeing how things are next year. :(

Disney markets to families with young children and their target passenger also tends to be less experienced travelers. Not really surprising they're moving their only European ship somewhere else.

I've been to both Greece and Turkey including many days totally on our own before or after the guided portion. I've been following current events and would be comfortable doing a cruise in the region.

If you're worried, then cancel. No one will be able to fully convince you that it's safe no matter what they say.

Good luck finding a 100% "safe" place to visit. Even if you think it's safe, you might just be blissfully misinformed.

Life is an adventure - go about it with awareness but not fear. ;)

We were on the same cruise as Northern Aurora (hello Gerri and Charles) which stopped in all those ports. Never for one moment did we feel uneasy. We toured in small groups with a guide and loved every minute.

With the world as it is today, things could change at any time and travelers need to recognize that and be willing to accommodate the change. That would never stop me from booking and planning a cruise though.

We were on the same cruise as Northern Aurora (hello Gerri and Charles) which stopped in all those ports. Never for one moment did we feel uneasy. We toured in small groups with a guide and loved every minute.

Hello Claire: Actually, I am guessing this post was from Claire and not John.

Claire organized a private excursion in Athens which we joined. Reading this post reminds me that I need to send out some of our Athens photos from that day to the other excursion members. Enjoyed receiving the ones from Claire.

Take care,

Gerry

I am not sure why Disney cancelled. However, I would do that itinerary. You just have to monitor the situation, especially in Turkey. Celebrity has made responsible decisions in the past in other parts of the world and I have faith in management.

Lots of cruise lines are canceling Istanbul -- but only because the port is under construction so it is very inconvenient (but not unsafe). Ephesus is remote and highly unlikely to be a danger zone from domestic or international issues. The Greek islands you mention are very scenic and very safe. And the best news is that none of these stops will be overrun with little kids wearing mouse ears! :D

Most Greeks love Americans. Most of them have relatives who live in the United States. You should have no problems at any Greek ports. Being of Greek decent most Greeks do not like other Greeks. I've seen it all my life.

Did all your ports 2 months ago on Reflection and had a great time at every port.

Aside from terrorism, a concern I had was the refugee situation, as this was when the media was showing Greek islands like Lesbos overrun with refugees. We saw no hint of that situation, or anything out of the ordinary at any port.

Last October we spent 4 wonderful days in Istanbul before a 10 night Aegean cruise on the Azamara Journey. One port, Lesbos, was cancelled and it was replaced with another location. Every day was a different port and another fascinating tour (or tours) in Turkey or in Greece. We completed the cruise with a couple days in Athens before returning to the states.

We would return to that area in a heartbeat! However, we are scheduled for Holland, Belgium, and the British Isles for this coming year.

We spent five wonderful weeks in Greece and the Greek Islands last Sept/Oct.

We fully expect to go back next Sept/Oct and will probably include Turkey.

Throwing caution to the wind? NO! We feel no more at risk in Istanbul, Athens, Naxos, or Santorini than we do in any US city.

We actually feel safer in these countries than we do when travelling in US cities-safer from a physical safety perspective. Much higher chance of being pick pocketed but much less chance of being mugged, murdered, or otherwise hurt. The US is an extremely violent society. Almost as many deaths from guns (30K) per year than there are from automobile accidents. Sad but true.

I think when we travel these days we all need to be concerned. When terrorists strike, they look for BIG Targets.....Think World Trade Center......Cruiseships are floating targets. That is why insurance is high for cruise companies and often the senior security officers are Israeli with Army intelligence backrounds.

This said, when your time is up, your time is up. We are at risk throughout the USA and I think even at More risk in Europe where the migration of Terrorists has not been followed as closely as it should have been. Europe has had the same problems that plagued America's intelligence operations which is the information not always being shared cross border. My US Embassy friends all say the same thing "We are waiting" because it is not IF, but WHEN.

This said, it could be a hotel, a bus a train or yes, a cruiseship. If you are nervous about taking these risks then I would cancel your cruise....for you will be miserable and anxious about what could come. Keep in mind that most accidents happen close to home.....A simple trip and fall can break a hip and thats the end.....and chances of being in a terrorist attack in a world which has 7.125 billion people in it.....well you probably have more chance of winning the lottery.....but alas....odds are a tricky thing.

My advice...IF uncomfortable make other plans. We cancelled our Abu Dhabi cruise because we felt there was just too much land along side the sailing points where someone could just shoot a portable rocket launch......That scared us so we are not going. Next year we may change our minds. For now Caribbean and Europe and Australia.....Here we come!

Cheers to all! Safe sails.

We are at risk throughout the USA and I think even at More risk in Europe where the migration of Terrorists has not been followed as closely as it should have been.

<snip>

.....A simple trip and fall can break a hip and thats the end.....and chances of being in a terrorist attack in a world which has 7.125 billion people in it.....well you probably have more chance of winning the lottery.....but alas....odds are a tricky thing.

Statistically, of course, US residents are at far greater risk from non-terrorist homicide by firearms.

Indeed, statistically, you're more likely to be killed by a family member at home than by a terrorist while cruising in Europe.

Odds are, indeed, a tricky thing!

Stuart