Adding second passenger to solo reservation

Geema

A friend of ours is thinking of booking with us as a solo passenger and wonders how it works if he would add another passenger to the reservation later on. Does the second passenger pay the price for the room when it is booked (plus taxes/fees) or what the price is on the day he is added to the reservation? Would the price for the original passenger go down to what it would be if two had booked when the reservation was made or what the price would be when the second passenger was added?

A friend of ours is thinking of booking with us as a solo passenger and wonders how it works if he would add another passenger to the reservation later on. Does the second passenger pay the price for the room when it is booked (plus taxes/fees) or what the price is on the day he is added to the reservation? Would the price for the original passenger go down to what it would be if two had booked when the reservation was made or what the price would be when the second passenger was added?

The second person pays the then going rate for the stateroom. So if the price of the stateroom has not gone up, and the solo passenger initially paid 200%, then the only additional cost would be the taxes.

She could book the room showing the two passengers names then if they cancel just call and cancel that passengers, the Taxes & Port fees will be removed. If she books the other passenger later on then she will go in at the current rate. Your friend who is the primary on the Reservation, will pay for the added passenger but her friend can give her the money for the added reservation. Say the booking is at $800 PP plus Taxes & Port Fees so say the total for the bookings comes to $1,000 PP her friend would pay your friend the $1,000 to cover her cost but who ever is the primary on the booking will pay the actual cruise fare.

I added a lady after I booked and she was paying me for her half, but she then changed her mind & I ended up paying the total cost anyway. Since I was going it didn't matter.

Thank you, clarea! I did a search but came up with multiple answers.

Ourusualbeach - Your suggestion was talked about but he didn't want to do that since he wasn't sure if/who he'd add. This is his first cruise and that seemed too complicated to him ;). He will be using our travel agent and I said they would be able to do what he wanted. It was the price thing we all wondered about.

Ourusualbeach - Your suggestion was talked about but he didn't want to do that since he wasn't sure if/who he'd add. This is his first cruise and that seemed too complicated to him ;). He will be using our travel agent and I said they would be able to do what he wanted. It was the price thing we all wondered about.

Know that adding a person at a later date regardless of the cabin being able to accommodate 2 people isn't always possible. Reason being that the life boat capacity for that area may be at max at the time the individual is wanting to add another person to the booking. This occurs more than people realize as while the person is currently booking as solo there are others in the same life boat area that are booking 3 to a cabin.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Know that adding a person at a later date regardless of the cabin being able to accommodate 2 people isn't always possible. Reason being that the life boat capacity for that area may be at max at the time the individual is wanting to add another person to the booking. This occurs more than people realize as while the person is currently booking as solo there are others in the same life boat area that are booking 3 to a cabin.

I've not heard this more than once, but I believe our resident Chief Engineer once said that you could always add the second person to a stateroom designated to hold 2 or more guests. However, there might be a problem adding the 3rd (or more) guest to a stateroom because of capacity limits.

The knowing who is travelling is not an issue. Name changes (as long as one guest from the initial reservation remains) can be made up until 24 hours before sailing. (Personally I wouldn't leave it that late, but a few days prior would be fine)

Geema, adding a second person to the booking, when your not sure who you may add or if the person is uncertain is probably best to hold off doing so. I was hesitant to add the additional person when I did it because I really didn't think she could afford the cruise with air & hotel added on. I knew the charges going in and would be paying for the cruise whether it was myself and an additional person. It ended up working out for the best when she changed her mind.

Our DD is booked as 1 passenger for a future cruise with a BOGO. No C&A discount.

IF she wanted to add someone how does that work?

That 2nd person IS the BOGO passenger, so she is paying for 2 already.

So does the 2nd person then only pay for the Taxes and port fees for #2 that was added?

Thanks!!

Our DD is booked as 1 passenger for a future cruise with a BOGO. No C&A discount.

IF she wanted to add someone how does that work?

That 2nd person IS the BOGO passenger, so she is paying for 2 already.

So does the 2nd person then only pay for the Taxes and port fees for #2 that was added?

Thanks!!

Yes, assuming the price of the cruise has not changed, and the single supplement was 200%, then the only change to add the second person should be the addition of taxes.

I have added a second person to a solo booking (paying double) and have only had to pay the taxes. Even though the price of the cruise went up it was locked in at the original rate.

That's the way it used to be (price locked in), but I think the policy has changed.

Edited by clarea

I have added a second person to a solo booking (paying double) and have only had to pay the taxes. Even though the price of the cruise went up it was locked in at the original rate.
How long ago did this last happen? RCI has gotten much stickier about repricing to new, higher prices recently.

repriced at current rates. and the possible loss of any other perks he got when he booked alone assuming it is even possible( once lifeboat capacity for that section has been reached, that's it, and with some cabins holding 3 or 4 passengers it is possible that other cabins will be locked out from adding anyone else. )

the price is per cabin.. so any division of cost would be up to the occupants

Yes, assuming the price of the cruise has not changed, and the single supplement was 200%, then the only change to add the second person should be the addition of taxes.

Thanks!

She is booked now as a BOGO, the 2nd person 1/2 off. See what happens at the time if she decides to add one. RCL is out to make money and sure try hard!! It is our job to try to get a deal.:D

Thanks!

She is booked now as a BOGO, the 2nd person 1/2 off. See what happens at the time if she decides to add one. RCL is out to make money and sure try hard!! It is our job to try to get a deal.:D

Let's see if my recent experience can be helpful.

I had never booked a cruise purely online before - I call the C&A number to book my cruises, unless I have booked them on board.

But I saw a tempting price, so I booked it.

I booked with two people, using my daughter as a "placeholder" knowing that I was going to call and get my 150% solo pricing.

I sort of let it slip by, and didn't call for 6 days. Prices went up a nice chunk in those six days.

When they re-priced it for my solo status, they DID use the original pricing. They did NOT use the higher price.

YMMV. And good luck!

That's the way it used to be (price locked in), but I think the policy has changed.

How long ago did this last happen? RCI has gotten much stickier about repricing to new, higher prices recently.

Yes this was a few years ago. Sad to see their policy has changed.

Let's see if my recent experience can be helpful.

I had never booked a cruise purely online before - I call the C&A number to book my cruises, unless I have booked them on board.

But I saw a tempting price, so I booked it.

I booked with two people, using my daughter as a "placeholder" knowing that I was going to call and get my 150% solo pricing.

I sort of let it slip by, and didn't call for 6 days. Prices went up a nice chunk in those six days.

When they re-priced it for my solo status, they DID use the original pricing. They did NOT use the higher price.

YMMV. And good luck!

Thanks!!

I guess we will find out if she has another passenger join her. I was just curious now as we are treating her to a Family cruise but not a maybe added passenger.:D Wondered how it worked if she wanted someone to join her. She has only had 1 cruise with RCL.

We booked onboard for 3 cabins. One kid in each room knowing they each be bringing a friend to be named later. The onboard future cruise agent didn't book it right but in the process of many calls with royal caribbean we learned how to do it next time.

Book the room for 2 people with the second person TBD. Then the second person will get the price it was booked at. Otherwise they will reprice the cabin to the current rates when you add the second person. We were able to get them to fix it (only after an e-mail to the top) because obviously we intended to add other people because the solo traveler in each room was a minor and is not allowed to travel solo.

Several months ago when I booked the Harmony (March 2017) for our family (great price then) I booked one of my adult sons and a TBD (to be determined) as a 2nd occupant in his cabin...at that point and now we have no idea who he will be bringing but they will get the same great rate when I booked all of our reservations for our 4 aft Boardwalk cabins.

I believe that if you book it for 2 people, then if one does not go, you will not get the double points, that solo travelers do. :eek:

That depends whether you cancel the second person before sailing (so that the first person will end up paying the whole thing in their name with the cancelled person changing to a solo supplement) or if the second person is a no-show at the pier (so that on paper the first person paid for half and the second person paid for half).

If there was any solo supplement involved, the extra "solo" points apply.

I've added people to my solo bookings three times over the years. Every time I've only had to pay taxes/fees. I did try to add someone on my recent cruise, and I was booked at 170%, so they wanted the different in rate (30%) + Taxes and fees.

I will tell my friend to try the TBD and when he knows if someone else is going to go with him, he can just remove it and pay what he has to pay as a solo. Right now I see it's 200% for solo minus the taxes and fees for the second passenger. That way the life boat question will be taken care of.

Thanks for the answers and suggestions.