bman3122

From Celebrity's website defining Evening Chic:

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

A cocktail dress

Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater

Optional sport coat or blazer

A LBD from Ann Taylor is not formal wear! LOL And so what if it's from Goodwill or second hand? That does not NOT make it formal wear. I've found a wonderful beaded evening dress at a second hand store. Buying second hand and saving money all year let's some of us cruise.

Formal for ladies is a floor length gown. A shorter dress is cocktail attire. And a LBD from AT would not match a man in a tux, that's for sure.

Edited by whataboutport

There are hundreds of posts on this topic on the Celebrity board - just browse the thread topics, I think several different ones have been merged into one. Opinion on whether the change is good or bad is very mixed - some love it, some hate it, most have mixed feelings and will continue to wear what they've always worn. There's also a separate thread (at least there was yesterday) that discusses what people are really wearing now that it's in effect.

In this case, I think "chic" may mean " not previously worn by someone else and/or purchased from Goodwill"

Seriously, "formal" wear for men is a tuxedo (and preferably not a $150 one from Men's Wearhouse) and fir women is an Ann Taylor "little black dress."

No, a "little black dress" is never formal wear. Formal wear for women is floor length - anything cocktail length or shorter doesn't qualify. There aren't that many truly formal attire evenings anymore outside of charity galas and the like.

No, a "little black dress" is never formal wear. Formal wear for women is floor length - anything cocktail length or shorter doesn't qualify. There aren't that many truly formal attire evenings anymore outside of charity galas and the like.

Maybe in 1950. Unless you're headed to the Oscars, opening night at the opera, or a prom, the right LBD with appropriate jewelry works for many events requesting "black tie."

http://stylecaster.com/dress-code/#slide-1

I go to at least two and currently up to six "charity galas" per year for the last 30 years... and I have never worn a floor-length dress to any of them.

And believe me, I fit right in and get compliments.

The only (one) thing I've worn a floor length gown for, as an adult, was to be a wedding attendant... and I'm too old for that now!

Does their "policy" really make that much difference? Dress codes are hardly enforced and a lot of folks feel "it's my vacation, I'll wear whatever I want", anyway. As far as "designer" jeans....a $100 plus price and someone's name on the back pocket make them OK, but a pair of $30 Levis is unacceptable?

Dressing so that after a professionally prepared and served dinner you can rush out to the shed and go back to work on your truck to me is disrespectful to those that made an effort to look great. Dressing appropriately for a MDR dinner really doesn't take much longer than putting on coveralls, a logo t-shirt, a Budweiser cap and cruddy work boots. The over used line, "I'm on vacation and I'll dress any way I want" is frankly a little arrogant [to me]. Yes, I know you're on vacation so why not raise your bar a click or two so that you look and feel just a little more special while having dinner with you partner or table mates? Come on folks a nice pair of pants and sport jacket for the guys and that LBD or equivalent for the ladies should be your vacation minimum standard in the MDR.

The cruise lines are partly/very much to blame for today's disrespected dress codes, even simple ones. If you are told in advance that less than appropriate attire (Hey Cruise Lines, being specific would be a huge help) will not be allowed in the MDR - enforce it. No means no. Seems that today's kids have a bit of trouble with the no word too ;). That rule should apply to sports stars and celebrities as well. They should not be afforded any special privilege to do as they please. Money or being a celebrity does not equal class. So while you're on your 'vacation' enjoy the luxury of stepping out of the fast food restaurant ordering line, dress like your vacation is special and be seated for what should be a wonderful dinner.

Does their "policy" really make that much difference? Dress codes are hardly enforced and a lot of folks feel "it's my vacation, I'll wear whatever I want", anyway. As far as "designer" jeans....a $100 plus price and someone's name on the back pocket make them OK, but a pair of $30 Levis is unacceptable?

On most cruise lines they are barely enforced (but on some they still are). I definitely feel that "it's my vacation and I'll wear what I want", but if what I want is unacceptable to the dress code of the location or event, I don't go to that location or event. Still my vacation and still my choice ;)

Come on folks a nice pair of pants and sport jacket for the guys and that LBD or equivalent for the ladies should be your vacation minimum standard in the MDR.........So while you're on your 'vacation' enjoy the luxury of stepping out of the fast food restaurant ordering line, dress like your vacation is special and be seated for what should be a wonderful dinner.

But it's a dinner in a banquet hall, not a fine dining restaurant -- regardless of the quality of the food or the cruise line. You're not at a plush enclave surrounded by lovely music and intimate dining companions, you're in a large, open room surrounded by many hundreds of strangers, surrounded by the clatter of piles of cutlery and the echos of hundreds of conversations, some of which are just 3 feet away. There's nothing "fine" or "special" about any MDR that I've seen.

As I said, I adhere to the dress code of the ship if I choose to sail on it, but I don't do it because I think the occasion calls for it, I do it because I agreed to adhere to the ship's rules when I bought a ticket.

And why can't the women wear a nice pair of pants and a sweater, LOL ;)

But it's a dinner in a banquet hall, not a fine dining restaurant -- regardless of the quality of the food or the cruise line. You're not at a plush enclave surrounded by lovely music and intimate dining companions, you're in a large, open room surrounded by many hundreds of strangers, surrounded by the clatter of piles of cutlery and the echos of hundreds of conversations, some of which are just 3 feet away. There's nothing "fine" or "special" about any MDR that I've seen. ;)

The size of the venue has nothing to do with it. Many formal receptions or galas are held in large banquet halls. Even the quality of the food has nothing to do with it. If an evening has been designated formal, then its formal.

Dressing so that after a professionally prepared and served dinner you can rush out to the shed and go back to work on your truck to me is disrespectful to those that made an effort to look great. Dressing appropriately for a MDR dinner really doesn't take much longer than putting on coveralls, a logo t-shirt, a Budweiser cap and cruddy work boots. The over used line, "I'm on vacation and I'll dress any way I want" is frankly a little arrogant [to me]. Yes, I know you're on vacation so why not raise your bar a click or two so that you look and feel just a little more special while having dinner with you partner or table mates? Come on folks a nice pair of pants and sport jacket for the guys and that LBD or equivalent for the ladies should be your vacation minimum standard in the MDR.

The cruise lines are partly/very much to blame for today's disrespected dress codes, even simple ones. If you are told in advance that less than appropriate attire (Hey Cruise Lines, being specific would be a huge help) will not be allowed in the MDR - enforce it. No means no. Seems that today's kids have a bit of trouble with the no word too ;). That rule should apply to sports stars and celebrities as well. They should not be afforded any special privilege to do as they please. Money or being a celebrity does not equal class. So while you're on your 'vacation' enjoy the luxury of stepping out of the fast food restaurant ordering line, dress like your vacation is special and be seated for what should be a wonderful dinner.

I wear what I want. I like packing less. I don't care what others wear. I don't care what others think of what I'm wearing. The food tastes just as good, or bad. I enjoy the company of my family/friends while on vacation. It's all good.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The size of the venue has nothing to do with it. Many formal receptions or galas are held in large banquet halls. Even the quality of the food has nothing to do with it. If an evening has been designated formal, then its formal.

Yes, but it's formal by designation, not by desire (like a legal judgement that is decided by law to be correct, even if you don't agree with it). That means that people will (and should) dress formally because they've been told to, even though they don't think the dinner or party is worthy of it - it's the (non-literal) price of admission. Mine was a comment in response to Magnum60's comment that people should dress up on vacation by choice because it will make the evening feel special. I maintain you can't make a crowded, noisy banquet hall feel "special" simply by changing your outfit.

I maintain you can't make a crowded, noisy banquet hall feel "special" simply by changing your outfit.

Actually, I can.

Breakfast in the MDR I'm wearing shorts. Evening I'm wearing a dress, husband is looking good. Same room but feels entirely different to me. I guess I'm easily pleased.

I wear what I want. I like packing less. I don't care what others wear. I don't care what others think of what I'm wearing. The food tastes just as good, or bad. I enjoy the company of my family/friends while on vacation. It's all good.

You hit the nail on the head.. people like you just don't care if they dress appropriately and have no respect for others..

dressing so that after a professionally prepared and served dinner you can rush out to the shed and go back to work on your truck to me is disrespectful to those that made an effort to look great. Dressing appropriately for a mdr dinner really doesn't take much longer than putting on coveralls, a logo t-shirt, a budweiser cap and cruddy work boots. The over used line, "i'm on vacation and i'll dress any way i want" is frankly a little arrogant [to me]. Yes, i know you're on vacation so why not raise your bar a click or two so that you look and feel just a little more special while having dinner with you partner or table mates? Come on folks a nice pair of pants and sport jacket for the guys and that lbd or equivalent for the ladies should be your vacation minimum standard in the mdr.

The cruise lines are partly/very much to blame for today's disrespected dress codes, even simple ones. If you are told in advance that less than appropriate attire (hey cruise lines, being specific would be a huge help) will not be allowed in the mdr - enforce it. No means no. Seems that today's kids have a bit of trouble with the no word too ;). That rule should apply to sports stars and celebrities as well. They should not be afforded any special privilege to do as they please. Money or being a celebrity does not equal class. So while you're on your 'vacation' enjoy the luxury of stepping out of the fast food restaurant ordering line, dress like your vacation is special and be seated for what should be a wonderful dinner.

+ 1

You hit the nail on the head.. people like you just don't care if they dress appropriately and have no respect for others..

I've replied to this accusation before :

It's not black and white. I wouldn't show up at a wedding or event to which I am invited and/or where I will know people dressed in anything less than what would be considered appropriate.

There was a time when people wore suits to the movies or a baseball game. There's a reason why, today, no one would consider it disrespectful to show up at these places in jeans or shorts. Times have changed.

Like it or not, some cruises have gone in the same direction. People want to be comfortable, don't want to pack dress clothes, whatever, and some cruise lines have become less concerned with what some would consider an antiquated custom.

I respect family, friends, co-workers, etc. and do care how they think of me, and my attire in their presence on certain occasions or events would reflect that. Some dude or lady I don't know in the MDR on a cruise ship that I've paid my hard-earned money to be on and enjoy? I respect them too unless given a reason not to, but I couldn't care less what they think of how I'm dressed.

Why should I choose my clothing based on what some other stranger in the room will think? It's not about respecting or disrespecting you, it's about you not having the right to expect me to make my personal choices based on your preferences. Why do you have so little respect for others that you don't allow them the choice of what they should wear?

Again, I'm not saying I disregard the dress code (which I don't), but I do it because that's the dress code set by the establishment or those running the event (my hosts), not because some other unknown stranger will or won't like what I'm wearing.