Join Pete and Judy on their FIRST World Cruise on the Amsterdam

The-Inside-Cabin

What’s worse than a seat saver? A seat saver who saves a seat for someone but then that person never shows up. That was the unfortunate situation today in the Wajang Theater for Good Morning Amsterdam. One of the nice things about this Grand Voyage was the noticeable absence of seat saving in all venues – but to be fair – today was the first instance I have observed this behavior at Good Morning Amsterdam. Sarah Chandler was the guest today as she was the entertainer from the previous evening. We learned that she learned to play the Saxophone at an early age. Her mother plays the flute and her sister the clarinet and they get together back in England for informal jam sessions from time to time. She lamented that live musicians are being replaced more and more by backing tracks and she sometimes wishes she took up the drums since that instrument is harder to replace than others. She plays almost exclusively on cruise ships and is generally travelling one week a month.

The Inside Cabin learned that Art Auctions are run by a concessionaire called Park West. While their display remains near the Wajang Theater and the brochures are still in the cabins, Park West does not have any intention to run art auctions this cruise and there are not any Park West employees currently onboard. There is a possibility they may bring an auctioneer onboard for the last leg from Portugal to Fort Lauderdale, but that is not confirmed.

Public Forum – From time to time you will see something in the On Location guide about a Public Forum. These are events organized by passengers and approved by the Cruise Director for publication in the On location guide. Today they had a Public Forum event run by a passenger who has been organizing the chess meet ups and chess tournament. This was held in the Piano Bar and about 10 people attended the ½ hour discussion about chess and an overview of the chess activity on the ship.

The Polynesian craft event was learning how to tie a Sarong. Not nearly as crowded as the others since there were no giveaways.

Buying Pearls Presentation. The presentation about pearls taught us one thing. Pearls are expensive and now we know why. (Up to 50% of the oysters dye during the pearl planting process and another 20% don’t create a pearl at all)

Gene announced today that the big prizes for the Grand Dollars (Dam Dollars is no longer officially used) will be HAL Logo Kindle Fires for $5000 Grand Dollars. People complained that even aggressive collectors have been hard pressed to get more than $150 so far. I have $32. Apparently one person got $1000 dollars a few days ago by making some miracle putt. Well, today at 1pm, they had a pool side competition where they would give away THOUSANDS of Grand Dollars.

About 40 people arrived at the designated time including yours truly, The Inside Cabin. We were given rum drinks to loosen us up followed by an energetic line dancing session. The weather was great and everyone was in a great mood. The people were divided into two teams, men vs the women. We were almost equally divided but they had to put a few men on the women’s’ team to balance us out.

Pool-Side-games.gif

We played 4 games: A water balloon relay, moving an orange from one end of your team to the other by only using your chin and neck, moving giant fun noodles from one team mate to another without using your hands and finally the group water balloon toss. 4 people at a time placed a water balloon into a pool towel and by timing their swings they launched the balloon toward the event staff who were holding large basketball hoops. Extra points were awarded if the balloons burst on the event staffs heads. It took about an hour and was great fun! The men’s team earned $160 Grand Dollars and the women $100. I now have $192 Grand Dollars – still a ways to go to collect $5000 for a Kindle Fire. Keep in mind that the winning trivia team gets $3 Grand Dollars each. Gene promised that more big payout Grand Dollar events are forthcoming.

Earlier this morning we received a package containing all the immigration forms we will need thru Thailand. These are the small cards you typically fill out on the airplane prior to landing in a different country. HAL personnel have been busy as all the information they could fill out, was filled out – Your name, passport number etc. You had to sign each form, answer country specific personal questions and check off other blocks It took me about ½ hour to finish them all. When you return them to the front desk, they look them over on the spot to make sure you didn’t miss anything. The front desk was not interested in getting a copy of my Australian ETA email confirmation. I suspect they verify them all regardless of what paperwork you may have.

Afternoon Crafts was on the simple side: Decorating a post card that had the basic shape of a flower.

Tonight was the 3rd Gala night for the cruise. Everyone look fabulous. The menu is on the blog. I had the Alaskan King Crab Legs which tasted better than they looked. Many people tried the Frog Legs, which of course, tasted like chicken.

The show was called “Encore” and presented by the HAL singers and dancers. Many people liked it and others thought it was low energy and just so-so. About ½ the audience did give them a standing ovation. The show included a variety of Broadway songs, with the highlight being “I dreamed a dream” from Les Miserables

Back in the cabin we discovered thick books by Paul Theroux, “The Happy Isles of Oceania”. I guess it is the thought that counts, but it seemed more like a homework assignment. Smile:)

Book-Gifts.gif

When we were on the Volendam last year in Asia we got a huge packet of forms. Viet nan, Burma , Thailand , Singapore etc. looking them over there were so many mistakes. Wrong arrival dates. Other things. Had to redo many of them. It's such a big job. Australian eta is in the system when they scanned you on. In all my travels there I have never been asked for the receipt.

cdb8e22d51e8a0ff0e516ed5a37c7032.jpg

The deserts for each evening are displayed on a cart near the door.

More pictures and menus plus the daily on location guide are available at http://www.theinsidecabin.com

I remember when they used to do that years ago on every cruise. They used to bring them around the table so you could look at them. Thx for the memory.

Three and ½ laps around the Promenade on Deck 3 is one mile. It was humid, but not hot, so I walked 2 miles on the Promenade deck before 7 AM this morning. About a dozen other people were up early and joined me on our counter clock wise walk. I started listening to one of my audio books “Killing Reagan” I listen with a Bluetooth Earpiece (Plantronics M90) which fits in one ear, leaving the other ear open to hear other people or warnings. Listening to a book while exercising helps your exercise motivation because once you get into the book, you want to walk more to keep “reading”.

The Polynesian team showed us how to make a Kukui Nut Bracelet at 9AM next to the Lido pool. Always popular, the class was pretty much filled at 8:30 AM. During the class we were introduced to the Ms Amsterdam Florists Eddy and Callista. There are flowers all over the ship and they do a wonderful job keeping them looking good. The day after Nuki HIva will be the final Polynesian craft class when we will make flower head pieces using fresh flowers they plan to buy in Nuku Hiva.

HAL-Florists.gif

I have read reports before leaving that there may be some issues with newcomers to the world cruise breaking into the world of the regulars. We have experienced none of this – everyone we have encountered has been friendly and easy to get to know. This is one reason to join in with the craft classes. They are relatively brief and the craft project forms an immediate common experience to help conversation. If you want to meet people, crafts is a great way. Other classes tend to have the same people day after day and you will not meet as many new folks. For example, it is harder to join the Ukelele or Water Color class on day 10 than the craft class. The craft classes start fresh each session where the others require more continuity.

The Kukui Nut Bracelet was easy to make and looked very nice when complete. We wore them the rest of the day.

Good Morning Amsterdam was enjoyable as always, but there wasn’t a special guest since this previous evenings entertainers were the HAL regulars. Not sure why they don’t come on the show in smaller groups as I am sure they would be very interesting guests.

My quest for more Grand Dollars continued with the Million Dollar Golf Putt. This involves putting a golf ball down the curved atrium steps between deck 4 and deck 3. See the accompanying photo for a better idea of how the contest worked. The line to putt was about 30 minutes long as this event is very popular. The-Inside-Cabin was one of the few people to sink a put which earned me $10 Grand Dollars. This events are fun and even waiting in line is enjoyable as you get a chance to meet your neighbors and catch up on what others are up to around the ship.

There is a little known gem in the Ships Library – the IPOD Art Tour. I checked out one of the IPODs and spent the next 45 minutes exploring the ship and listening to a very interesting narration of the various paintings, vases, birdcages and other interesting pieces displayed around the ship.

The dining room staff set up a Mongolian BBQ on the LIDO deck near the pool for lunch. You get in one line to fill a plate with various vegetables, meats and seafood, then get in a second line to have your selections stir fried while you wait with the cook adding spices and sauces as you desire.

Ukulele Class and Crafts filled our afternoon and after relaxing in our cabin it was time for dinner. Judy spend some time in the sun on the aft deck

There was no special theme for dinner tonight. Late seating is a lot less busy than earlier times so our service ends up being much more speedy, another reason we enjoy late seating. The menu for dinner is on the blog under Daily Activities

Robbie Howard, from Las Vegas, provided the entertainment tonight. Robbie is a singer who imitates a wide variety of famous singers past and present. A very entertaining show that received an enthusiastic standing ovation.

Robbie-Howard.gif

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

You can download from ITunes Store or from the HAL website. The library has iPods for checkout

I could not find anything on iTunes for this (but swear they used to be there) and the link to the HAL site has a broken link for the download. Any thoughts?

Day 16, Taiohae, Nuku Hiva, French Polynesia

Nuku Hiva first appears in the distance as a blue gray shape rising above the horizon, its outline is sharp and angular and there is no detail or color. As we close, the hazy gray outline slowly transforms into a lush green as the mountains come into focus covered with coconut trees and foliage. Signs of civilization finally become visible as the ship slowly creeps into the bay near Taiohae, the islands major town, dropping anchor and settling in for the day. This was the scene as I walked 7 laps of the promenade deck while listening to more of my book “Killing Reagan”.

The local authorities arrived at 9:30 and the ship was cleared to disembark passengers an hour later. They started to hand out tender tickets in the Wajang Theater at 10:30. People were given blue, playing card size, tickets marked with numbers starting at 10 and going up. They changed the number every 15 people, so the first fifteen were assigned “blue 10”, the second 15 “blue 11” and so on. Our ticket was blue 17 meaning that there were about 100 people ahead of us. They called for tickets 10-14 almost immediately to proceed to deck A and board a tender. As we settled in to wait, I walked back to the Theater and discovered that they were now handing out Blue 24 – and the Theater was empty meaning the initial rush was about 200 people. Once they called your number, you proceeded to deck A via the forward stairs and were merged in with the priority tender folks. Each tender would leave with about ½ of the people with priority and the remainder with tickets.

Tender-sign.gif

The tender ride was about 10 minutes and we set foot on Nuku Hiva at 11:29. Usually the ships photographer sets up some props with a local model or a giant banana or something to encourage people to take arrival pictures. When we arrived, we had to search out the ships photographer who then took our photograph on our request. They sell very few pictures on these long cruises, but they seem to almost have given up trying to create any interest. We bought the package where we get a copy of every picture for a fixed price so we always seek out the photographers at every opportunity.

We had prearranged a private tour for 12 of us (spread across 2 vehicles) that would spend about 3 hours driving to various viewpoints. One driver spoke English and the other only French. We would stop together and the English guide would then give the entire group an overview of what we were seeing.

The weather was very hot and humid, and fortunately our vehicles were air-conditioned, so after each stop we had a chance to cool down before moving on the next.

Our first stop was at 1600 feet above sea level overlooking the town with a view of the Amsterdam anchored in the bay. Along the way we drove by wild horses – a mother and her pony was big hit – as well as roosters and chickens wandering along the road.

The road was about 1 and ½ lanes wide and ranged from a paved surface to a gravel road full of potholes. We drove to the north side of the island for more views and then retraced our path back toward the town where we started. We stopped in a small town called Taipivai where we saw some wooden kon-tiki style statues and a large drum we all had a chance to play.

Judy-pounding-drum.gif

On the way back we passed a 20 car caravan which was the ships tour. Each vehicle had number if the window and the passengers would get out at each view spot and gather together to listen to the single English speaking guide.

Our final stop was the Notre Dame Church where we had a chance to look inside the modest interior and then either walk the 10 minutes back to the tenders or have the drivers take us back. We were hot and tired and elected not to walk.

We spent about 20 minutes wandering thru the shops and then headed back to the ship about 4 pm. There was WIFI act a snack bar right on the pier, but it was so crowded, you couldn’t log on until someone left – and turnover was slow. There are other wifi hotspots around, so always check for signals and then ask for a password from where you think the hot spot is hosted. Sometimes they charge and sometimes they don’t.

We enjoyed the Sail-away party near the Seaview pool where they passed out a chicken and pineapple appetizer on a stick. Very tasty. The weather was much cooler in the bay and we watched the last tender approach, and get hoisted aboard. Promptly at 6pm we left our anchorage and headed out to sea.

Sarah Chandler, the saxophonist, http://www.officialsaxation.com, joined our table for dinner a second time and we had a lovely time with a wonderful meal – again. The food has been consistently outstanding the entire cruise.

Peter Neighbour, provided the entertainment this evening. He plays a clarinet and was simply marvelous receiving a standing ovation from the crowd. He specialized in Swing Era Jazz and was accompanied by 3 house musicians – Bass, Drums and Piano.

Peter-Neighbor.gif

Plenty more pictures, menus, on location guides and more on the blog at http://www.theinsidecabin.com