Join Pete and Judy on their FIRST World Cruise on the Amsterdam

The-Inside-Cabin

It's all working fine for me. I like what you've done with the website.

At the bottom of that page is a calendar that links to each day's post...so if you want to read about Puerto Limon, find the date from the table and click on the date in the calendar.

You can scroll around the map,and see progress that way as well. The red marker is always the current post. Proposed course line in black

New format is great.

Love reading the menus, the low calorie way to enjoy all that food!

What I want to know is: do you actually sleep? I can't imagine how you attend so many activities, walk the deck, dine and do all your computer work!!

Amazing, so with thanks I say, keep up the super work!!

New format is great.

What I want to know is: do you actually sleep? I can't imagine how you attend so many activities, walk the deck, dine and do all your computer work!!

Thanks for the comments....an afternoon nap is essential....we have late dining...so you need to catch up in the late pm when little is scheduled

Early rising has become a necessity to get a speedy internet connection. Once most of the ship wakes up, the internet speed can slow to the point it is unusable. The best way to check the speed without running up your bill is to pull up the free New York Times website. If this site pops up quickly, then you are good to go. If the site is slow or never loads, time to try again later.

We continue south today toward Rarotonga, one of the Cook Islands. The Cook Islands are a Self-Governing Free Associated State – which means that New Zealand helps out with about ½ their budget and Cook Islanders are full citizens of New Zealand and they use the New Zealand Dollar. Rarotonga is as far south of the equator as Hawaii is north, so the temperatures are cooling as we continue southward.

The promenade deck was quick pleasant and I briskly walked my 7 laps, 2 miles, while listening to my current Audible book on my Ipod, using a Bluetooth ear piece. This is my third time walking the decks and I am beginning to recognize a few of the regulars, but everyone walking at this time – 7am – is looking to exercise and there is little chit chat as people move around the promenade.

While walking to Good Moring Amsterdam I stopped to observe the aqua aerobics class in progress in the main pool. About 10 ladies were moving to the direction of the show host, Jodie who was standing by the side of the pool.

Since Good Morning Amsterdam is getting more and more crowded, I decided to get there 20 minutes early to see how many people were already waiting. The Wajang Theater was already 80% full. I am not sure I want to find out what time the first people arrive. I had no idea that this show would prove to be so popular, especially since it is on TV later.

Two new guest speakers started their lecture series today. I attended the early afternoon session, it was an interesting talk about the history of French Polynesia by Joseph Kess. I heard good reviews about the morning session by Alan Wright who discussed the ever expanding universe.

I skipped crafts today and observed the Texas Hold’em tournament. The game has a $60 buy in with the winner earning about $350 with second place getting about $150. The games takes about 1 hour and is usually completely full on sea days. For the first time today, there was some action on the Roulette wheel. I will have to check on the bingo game at 4pm to see if they are actually getting to play very much. They need at least 20 people to hold a Bingo game.

One of my favorite paintings on the ship is called “Ships in front of 17th Century Amsterdam” by Peter Sterkenburg. The oil painting on honeycomb aluminum is located on deck 5, across from the Explorer’s Lounge.

Painting.gif

I discovered a couple of sports memorabilia items in the sports bar – a baseball signed by Joe DiMaggio and a hockey puck signed by Wayne Gretsky. Sea days are great for exploring some of the nooks and crannies around the ship.

The basketball court was empty and gave me the opportunity to practice my mid court shot for a future Grand Dollar event. I still failed to make a single half-court shot, but did improve my free throw shooting significantly.

Despite the pleasant temperature, the Sea View pool was empty and the Lido pool was covered by a net indicating the pool was closed due to the ships motion.

The ships acupuncturist was our guest for dinner today. She was born in Iran, schooled in France and now lives in LA. Many of her relatives still live in Iran and listening to her stories about her visits to Iran was very interesting.

Tonight’s entertainment was an Australian duo called “Strings Alive”. This husband and wife team sang some songs, played piano, violin and guitar. The late show is only about 1/3 full and a few of their songs would have been better with a larger audience. They were very good and everyone enjoyed their performance.

Strings-Alive.gif

Earlier in the day, the Captain let us know that the wind and wave conditions in Rarotonga may make tendering impossible. He mentioned he has a secondary spot to check out that may have better conditions, if the primary anchorage proves unsuitable. If we can’t get into Rarotonga, we will continue to New Zealand and tomorrow will be another sea day

More pictures, menus and more at http://www.theinsidecabin.com

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

New format is great.

I had wondered about the sleep myself. I do appreciate all your efforts of bringing us along on your cruise. Fascinating. I hope to do a world cruise myself some day.

The ships acupuncturist was our guest for dinner today. She was born in Iran, schooled in France and now lives in LA. Many of her relatives still live in Iran and listening to her stories about her visits to Iran was very interesting.

Azita is a lovely person. AND an excellent acupuncturist! If you see her again please tell her that Sally Fowler says hello:)

DW and I are wondering if you have run into any fellow travelers who actually have an inside cabin on Dolphin or Main decks, or are those insides only being used to hold empty luggage from other passengers? DW gets seasick quite easily, but, like me, loves to cruise. So, our cabin solution is inside, low and amidships. P.S. Like others have written, your postings are so informative, enthusiastic and positive--a joy to read!

David

Earlier in the day, the Captain let us know that the wind and wave conditions in Rarotonga may make tendering impossible. He mentioned he has a secondary spot to check out that may have better conditions, if the primary anchorage proves unsuitable. If we can’t get into Rarotonga, we will continue to New Zealand and tomorrow will be another sea day

I so hope you make it into Rarotonga! With your balance of sea and port days, you really don't need another sea day, and this is such a charming island. The people have all the warmth and friendliness of the Polynesians, while also having that Proper British way about them. It's a lovely combination.

I remember my day in Rarotonga fondly.

DW and I are wondering if you have run into any fellow travelers who actually have an inside cabin on Dolphin or Main decks, or are those insides only being used to hold empty luggage from other passengers? DW gets seasick quite easily, but, like me, loves to cruise. So, our cabin solution is inside, low and amidships. P.S. Like others have written, your postings are so informative, enthusiastic and positive--a joy to read!

David

I don't have perfect knowledge but most of the insides are full. This cruise has over 200 singles with a total of 1090 passengers...we have 400 or so people leave in Sydney being replaced by more, but not 400. Some passengers were told that no room was avail for extra luggage while our cabin attendant volunteered to take our luggage. He said It is being stored somewhere in Club HAL..

I will report as I learn more on this.

We have had noticeable ship motion for last 24 hours....first time

Would like to know about your internet package, particularly the price and whether you negotiated for that price, or it's fixed?

Thanks

David

The best deal is $250 for 1000 minutes.....we got a 10pct bump at the start of the cruise.....may get another at each segment....no one has a special deal except entertainers who get the crew rate. (Unknown to me)

So enjoying your blog! You do many things in port that you set up on your own (vs. HAL excursions) - any chance you could add another section to your blog with links and other information re: your sources/connections, especially when it turns out especially good?

So enjoying your blog! You do many things in port that you set up on your own (vs. HAL excursions) - any chance you could add another section to your blog with links and other information re: your sources/connections, especially when it turns out especially good?

Thanks....I will plan to do that!

At our anchorage.....although too deep to anchor, we will actually hover in place using our engines all day....

Tendering will start soon.....Captain said conditions not too bad......hopefully they will stay good for the day...

Here is the tender bringing the immigration folks onboard to clear the ship.

Perfect weather 09fbc7319864ed4b89101b8725af2156.jpg

Gene just announced that everyone should get out of the hallways and Chill Out....the tender platform is still being rigged ....but he said it much nicer....

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

Pete, here's an enthusiastic SECOND to Barbara's (BCD2010) suggestion about adding info to your blog re: some of the activities you pre-arranged on your own (as if you didn't have enough to do creating the daily diary entries:)

David