Join Pete and Judy on their FIRST World Cruise on the Amsterdam

The-Inside-Cabin

Day 122, Sailing toward Puntarenas, Costa Rica

Smooth seas greeted us this morning. The temperature and humidity is still on the high side, but not unbearable. Despite this being a full ship, certain areas are less crowded than on the world cruise. For example, as I walked by the Explorer’s Lounge last night at 7pm, normally prime time for Adagio, there wasn’t a single person in the audience. We have yet to have a full table for the Poker Cash Game and there hasn’t been enough people for a Hold’em tournament 3 days running.

Not many children on this cruise, we have only seen one person of Club HAL age while we had up to 10 on the World Cruise and never less than 6.

Captain Fred was in the Queens Lounge at 10 am for a fascinating overview of the ship and how it works. His presentation was the best I have ever seen on any ship on this subject. He had some very interesting videos of the ship while in dry-dock that showed the Azipods rotating and explained in simple terms why there is the bulbous nose on the bow. He had a pleasant blend of humor and technical jargon and the time flew by. He then answered questions with brevity and precision so he was able to cover a lot of ground in a short period of time. He also announced we would be docking on the Pier in Puntarenas closest to town due to favorable tides. This will allow us to walk into town.

Bow-Slide.gif

The Queens Lounge was almost full and many people stayed for the shopping lecture immediately following. I am sure this wasn’t an accident to boost attendance for the shopping lecture. When you were leaving the Queens Lounge, helpful crew were passing out raffle tickets to try and entice you to do an about face and return to the Queens Lounge. No telling if this will be rebroadcast later. My experience is – don’t count on it – if there is something that you find interesting, best to see it in person to avoid disappointment later.

There weren’t enough people for a Hold’em game in the afternoon so I played 3 card poker for an hour and managed to leave with what I started and had some fun along the way.

Judy and I stopped by the Queens Lounge for our 3rd game of Bingo all cruise. BINGO is always a pleasant diversion and we had a fairly good crowd. Judy came close to winning on the final “cover all” game but no luck today.

Judy had a chance to see fellow passenger Laurie’s license plates she collected from many of the ports on the World Cruise. Each license plate has an interesting story and it was fun to look at them and hear the stories behind each one.

Tonight was another Gala Night. Not as many Tuxedos or dark suits as on the world cruise, but nothing really crazy either. Everyone seemed to step up their appearance to their definition of Gala. The Gala menu returned to the single large sheet with a separate desert menu. Not sure when they use the little square menu we had on the first Gala Night. We have one more Gala night than we can pack up our formal clothes.

Judy and I both selected the Lobster Cobb Salad which was just OK – too much salad, not enough lobster. Once you have been on a Grand Voyage, returning to the normal menu takes a little getting used to. I also had the 5 Cheese Ravioli which was very good.

The show tonight was an encore performance for Harmonica Virtuoso Bernie Fields and Comedian Buzz Sutherland. Bernie was outstanding as usual and Buzz was better than he was before. Buzz is best when he sticks to comedy and avoids the distracting card tricks, mid show veterans tribute, Prince tribute etc. These diversions from comedy confuse the audience and we never get settled into what is show is all about. He also seems to obsess over the small size of the late show. Get over it and work on improving your act.

Around midnight we sailed very close to a line of thunderstorms and were treated to an amazing light show. Lighting was flashing all around and we could hear the thunder rolling across the waves.

More pictures on the blog at http://www.theinsidecabin.com

I was happy to hear that you never get tired of going through the canal. We have only seen it from the Mira Flores lock and found it so interesting. I thought construction on the second side of the canal had been finished, it was well underway in 2013.

You keep putting the WC in the same category as other Grand Voyages. For some reason I thought that the WC was a step above the other Grand Voyages in perks and special considerations and events, really the "E" ticket ride on HAL. I've never been on either but this is just from my reading CC reviews. Still enjoying your reports and photos on the website. Thank you, Cherie

I was happy to hear that you never get tired of going through the canal. We have only seen it from the Mira Flores lock and found it so interesting. I thought construction on the second side of the canal had been finished, it was well underway in 2013.

You keep putting the WC in the same category as other Grand Voyages. For some reason I thought that the WC was a step above the other Grand Voyages in perks and special considerations and events, really the "E" ticket ride on HAL. I've never been on either but this is just from my reading CC reviews. Still enjoying your reports and photos on the website. Thank you, Cherie

I have never been on another Grand Voyage so I can't say for sure. But that is what we have been led to believe by those in the know on the Amsterdam.

Another item missing on the normal cruise. Fresh Sashimi is missing on the normal cruise.

We embark the Amsterdam in San Diego. Are any of the entertainers staying on after San Diego? or is there a complete turn around? I would love to see the Bernie Fields, Terry Davis and Abba Fab.

I know you will be glad to get home, but I will miss your blog terribly. I have so totally enjoyed it and thank you for taking the time and money to post for us.

We embark the Amsterdam in San Diego. Are any of the entertainers staying on after San Diego? or is there a complete turn around? I would love to see the Bernie Fields, Terry Davis and Abba Fab.

I know you will be glad to get home, but I will miss your blog terribly. I have so totally enjoyed it and thank you for taking the time and money to post for us.

They all left today. Suspect an all new bunch in San Diego. Abba fab schedule is on their web site. Link on my blog.

I have never been on another Grand Voyage so I can't say for sure. But that is what we have been led to believe by those in the know on the Amsterdam.

I was on a Grand Cruise once, and I clearly remember special truffles instead of pillow chocolates every once in a while, pillow gifts, big-name entertainers, and an all-around grand time made of it.

Now, this was a long time ago, and things may be different now, but it sure was something to remember---I do! :D When you post about the special touches on your Grand World Cruise, it all comes back to me.

They all left today. Suspect an all new bunch in San Diego. Abba fab schedule is on their web site. Link on my blog.

Thank you. I am sure the new entertainers will be great!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I saw your very thorough post about getting an India visa in another thread. Very good information, but I don't think you mentioned how far in advance you applied for it.

Also did you have to get one for China?

Thanks.

I saw your very thorough post about getting an India visa in another thread. Very good information, but I don't think you mentioned how far in advance you applied for it.

Also did you have to get one for China?

Thanks.

I applied for my Indian visa 2 months before departure ..we didn't need one for China. I will be posting more on getting visas when I get back to San Diego.

I was on a Grand Cruise once, and I clearly remember special truffles instead of pillow chocolates every once in a while, pillow gifts, big-name entertainers, and an all-around grand time made of it.

Now, this was a long time ago, and things may be different now, but it sure was something to remember---I do! :D When you post about the special touches on your Grand World Cruise, it all comes back to me.

Does HAL even offer those chocolate truffles anymore?

I last saw them in explorers lounge in Alaska in 2010. They were missing there for my Antarctica trip, but available in the PG. my last 2 cruises (Mexico) they weren't even in PG.

Does HAL even offer those chocolate truffles anymore?

I never saw them the few times I looked when coming out from dinner, but I think they may still have them earlier.

Since HAL changed the timing of the entertainment in there to so early, instead of after dinner, I think there may be truffles when the first sitting passengers are finished eating. I've caught them once or twice.

I applied for my Indian visa 2 months before departure ..we didn't need one for China. I will be posting more on getting visas when I get back to San Diego.

Did you not need a China visa or did the ship get the Visa for you?

Thanks

I never saw them the few times I looked when coming out from dinner, but I think they may still have them earlier.

Since HAL changed the timing of the entertainment in there to so early, instead of after dinner, I think there may be truffles when the first sitting passengers are finished eating. I've caught them once or twice.

Truffles were available in the Explorers Lounge nightly

Another item missing on the normal cruise. Fresh Sashimi is missing on the normal cruise.

We learned that the World Cruise is the Grandest of to Grand Voyages and probably gets more extras in the area of better parties and other items. For example - Not sure if the other Grand Voyages get pillow gifts.

Day 123, Puntarenas, Costa Rica

We arrived in Puntarenas before 7 AM, mooring at the end of a long pier that leads to the center of town. While it wasn’t too hot at 7AM, you could tell that it was going to get a lot hotter and more humid soon.

The pier here is long and narrow with no place for vehicles to turn around. The tour buses were forced to either back all the way down to pier to get to the ship or to back all the way off the pier. Most busses backed down the pier in the morning but backed off the pier in the afternoon.

Long-Pier-1.gif

None of the shore excursions in this port were particularly interesting to us so we decided to relax onboard for a while and then explore the town later in the day on our own.

A little after 11 am we headed down to Deck 1 and off the gangway which was positioned in the middle of the ship on the starboard side. By this time it was getting steamy so we took it slow and took our time walking down the pier. Along the way we spotted Nyron, the HAL Excursions manager, as he was supervising the departure of the latest wave of shore excursions.

Once we reached the end of the pier we headed off thru a narrow pathway that was surrounded by various vendors who set up temporary shops selling typical touristy stuff and a few local handicrafts. We bought some post cards and key chains and then bought a Coca-Cola at a nearby café to write our postcards and get them in the mail.

After we walked up and down the street along the waterfront, we turned inland for a few blocks to walk down the main street. There weren’t many other people, local or tourists, walking around and the town had a run down, grubby feel. Most every building with anything of value inside had razor wire covering the fences which doesn’t do much to help create a welcoming atmosphere. There was Historical Museum that was closed, without any sign as to when it was open, and many of the letters in the sign had fallen off so maybe the museum is permanently closed.

ship.gif

One of the tallest structures in town, the Cathedral, occupies the center square, but we didn’t go inside. After we finished walking our large loop we headed back to the ship arriving around 1pm and headed straight to the LIDO for some cold Ice Tea and a light lunch. We stayed in the LIDO for about 1 hour before returning to our cabin to relax before the SailAway at 4:30.

It was still very hot as we arrived at the SailAway on Deck 8 aft by the Seaview pool. There wasn’t anyone passing snacks and the waiters didn’t seem to venture too far from the bars and shaded areas. We headed to the bar and ordered some cool drinks. Judy’s new favorite is orange juice and grenadine. We watched as the town faded off into distance and the sun almost touched the horizon before we headed down to our cabin to relax.

We were invited to an “Exclusive Officers Cocktail Party” at 7pm in the Crow’s nest. All of the 33 people from the World Cruise appeared to be in attendance along with some other 5 star Mariners that we have come to know. Waiters were passing very nice appetizers and the bar was open for the drink of your choice. A group of us enjoyed spending most of the time with event manager Mark who was very interesting and provided us some insight to working and living on a cruise ship.

We had a full table for dinner tonight as we were joined by a nice couple from open seating at our request. Late seating is lightly attended so there isn’t any pressure to fill every seat which may be the case during early seating. Judy enjoyed her Santa Fe Salad and I found the Linguine with Smoked Salmon to be very tasty. We also shared the Chef’s Meatloaf which was OK, but we prefer meatloaf that has more tomato sauces than beef sauces.

The HAL singers and dancers presented the show “Dance” which was wonderful. The dancing was incredible and this show presented them with numerous opportunities to show off their amazing talent. Kara, Kate, Wesley and Greg were outstanding as always during the shows vocal numbers.

dancer.gif

More on the blog at http://www.theinsidecabin.com

Since HAL changed the timing of the entertainment in there to so early, instead :(of after dinner, I think there may be truffles when the first sitting passengers are finished eating. I've caught them once or twice.

On the Antarctica trip, I didn't see them for the first several days, and attributed it to being late to the Explorers Lounge. I suspected the same (actually told DH in an email that I suspected you might have gotten there first. ;) :D:D). Then the next couple of evenings I got there before Adagio, and staked out the candy dish. No truffles. Only the chocolate squares.:confused: But got them in the PG that trip.

Last 2 cruises, only chocolate squares in PG and SOME nights in Explorers. Actually didn't get any chocolate in PG last cruise. (That may have been d/t new dietary "issues" HAL has in my profile.:( )

We learned that the World Cruise is the Grandest of to Grand Voyages and probably gets more extras in the area of better parties and other items. For example - Not sure if the other Grand Voyages get pillow gifts.

Of course we can't predict the future HAL amenities, but we took the Grand Asia in 2010 and 2011 and half of the World in 2014. Received pillow gifts on every formal night.

Day 124, May 8th, Corinto, Nicaragua

Around 10 am we arrived in Corinto, Nicaragua, and moored alongside the wharf in the container port. None of the tours looked interesting so we chose to stay close and walk around Corinto.

Since the Amsterdam wouldn’t be leaving until 7pm, we weren’t in any rush to go ashore and left the ship around 2:30. There isn’t any terminal or any other type of structure on the wharf to handle cruise ship passengers. Once off the ship we headed toward the port gate, which was about ¼ mile away, but hidden behind some buildings and stacked containers.

Along the way we passed a small band playing some type of xylophones for tips. There weren’t any vendors or anyone selling anything on the wharf near the ship.

Band-near-port.gif

After we left the port area, there were a few pedicab style bicycles offering rides into town, which was only another ¼ mile away so we decided to walk. At first I thought these pedicabs were only for tourists, but as we continued our walk, we saw dozens of these pedicabs, and didn’t see any carry tourists – only locals. It was a little strange but we didn’t see any taxis, or for that matter, many cars of motorcycles period. Now it was a Sunday, so maybe most people were at home, but it seemed odd that the streets were almost completely empty of any motorized traffic.

There was a street market toward the center of town that was selling local crafts: woven and decorated textiles and other trinkets. We didn’t see anyone selling postcards or key chains and only one store selling T shirts. We didn’t buy anything and kept walking toward the other side of town and the public beach. All the structures in this part of town were single story and quite run down. Many of them used scraps of corrugated steel plates to patch holes or fashion makeshift walls.

It was about ¾ of a mile across the town to the beach on the other side. Much like the beach at Puntarenas, it was a dirty brown sand and not very inviting. There was a restaurant on the coast under some green tents but we didn’t go inside.

We decided to loop back to the ship along some different streets, but everything looked pretty much the same as the first street. There was a woman walking down the middle of the street with a basket on her head full of small items that you may find in a convenience store. As she approached houses she would announce her presence with a description of what she was selling. We didn’t see anyone buy anything she was selling and she turned around at the end of the street and headed back.

As we got closer to the port area, we spotted a father with 2 young boys playing a game of basketball using a portable hoop set up along the side of the street.

Basketball-Game.gif

We were only gone about 1 hour and if I were to return, I would take a tour or a taxi to Leon as there is nothing much to see in this town. If you don’t want to see Leon, then stay on the ship and make this port into a sea day.

Back on the ship, we grabbed some food from the Dive-In and headed back to our cabin where we relaxed in until dinner. We were tired and didn’t go to the SailAway which was just after sunset.

We were joined by two people from another table this evening so we are now full with 8 people. Our new tablemates are Sally and Iris from Scotland and England. We had a pleasant time discussing our days and enjoying another wonderful meal.

Virtuoso Pianist Juan Pablo Subirana provided the entertainment this evening. In addition to playing the piano he did a little soft shoe, danced with a full size female doll and sang a song. Quite a variety and more than we were expecting from a classical pianist. For one number, he ‘played’ a manual typewriter with his right hand to create an interesting sound along with his piano.

juan-paplo-subirana.gif

We will be in Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala tomorrow and plan to take the HAL bus to visit Antigua.

More on the blog at http://www.theinsidecabin.com

We have a half day and I will not miss the chance to see Leon. Said to one of the most beautiful colonial cities. I was hoping you would go there to give a review. Antigua is also stunning. We did the "shuttle" and hired a guide that was waiting for us as we got off the bus. Just walk up and down the lanes. It beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app