Savor the Journey TV Ad

Crazy For Cats

I can't believe I watched Ch 5 news tonight and didn't see the ad.

It must not have caught my attention and I went ahead with cooking dinner and ignored it.

Thanks for mentioning it. I know where to look for it tomorrow or other nights.

I put on that station in the off chance the HAL ad would run for the 11 P.M. news and it just did.

I think it very tasteful, beautiful images but it didn't have a real hook. I can't put it into words but if I didn't love HAL the way I do, I might not consider it. Nothing at all wrong with the ad but I didn't find it a 'stand out'.

I put on that station in the off chance the HAL ad would run for the 11 P.M. news and it just did.

I think it very tasteful, beautiful images but it didn't have a real hook. I can't put it into words but if I didn't love HAL the way I do, I might not consider it. Nothing at all wrong with the ad but I didn't find it a 'stand out'.

I know what you mean. I saw the ad for the first time yesterday, possibly one of the evening news programs. (NY metro area)

It got my attention because I've been waiting to see what kind of ad campaign they'd have to support the new "savor the journey" idea.

I find it interesting that those of us who have seen the ad caught it during a news program. DH and I joke that only older people watch the news. Just look at the commercials they run--sooo many medical ads for constipation, ED, heart problems. Plus stair lifts, emergency call "buttons," etc. Is HAL reaching out to its supposed demographic???????

I couldn't help but think, if they are going to spend the big bucks for prime time TV ads, why not use it to introduce the Koningsdam? Upbeat ads of the new venues and new ship might just capture a new group.

2, maybe 3, years ago in January they also did a blitz of prime time TV ads. I remember them, and remember thinking "finally some TV ads from HAL". Last year - nothing. They seem to think Facebook will do it all.

I couldn't help but think, if they are going to spend the big bucks for prime time TV ads, why not use it to introduce the Koningsdam? Upbeat ads of the new venues and new ship might just capture a new group.

2, maybe 3, years ago in January they also did a blitz of prime time TV ads. I remember them, and remember thinking "finally some TV ads from HAL". Last year - nothing. They seem to think Facebook will do it all.

Cruise lines overall typically don't focus on one ship... and as Koningsdam has a lot of totally unique to it venues, it wouldn't accomplish the overall goal of bring people to THE BRAND... just bring people to THAT SHIP.

However, could mention of the ship had been made? Probably...

I think HAL is smart to run the ad during the news shows. IF I were responsible for advertising I would run ads during the news and during football games. Most people watch them in real time....l record everything else so I can skip the ads.

Edited by oaktreerb

Just look at the commercials they run--sooo many medical ads for constipation, ED, heart problems. Plus stair lifts, emergency call "buttons," etc. Is HAL reaching out to its supposed demographic???????

Exactly... too bad there isn't "Denture TV"... I'm sure they would be the exclusive sponsor... :rolleyes:

From a story on Travel Weekly:

Full article - http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Cruise-lines-unveil-new-ads-to-coincide-with-Wave-season

Here's the HAL portion:

Holland America Line, meanwhile, is retiring “Signature of Excellence” in favor of “Savor the Journey.”

The line will appear on television “for the first time in a long while,” said spokesman Erik Elvejord, in a dozen select markets from Boston to San Diego and occasionally nationwide on the NBC network.

Shows on which the ads will be aired include “60 Minutes,” “The Voice,” “The CBS Evening News,” “The Tonight Show” and “Saturday Night Live.”

Trade advertising that features HAL’s updated logo minus its traditional three- masted tall ship has already begun.

Exactly... too bad there isn't "Denture TV"... I'm sure they would be the exclusive sponsor... :rolleyes:

From a story on Travel Weekly:

<snip>

Quote:

Holland America Line, meanwhile, is retiring “Signature of Excellence” in favor of “Savor the Journey.”

The line will appear on television “for the first time in a long while,” said spokesman Erik Elvejord, in a dozen select markets from Boston to San Diego and occasionally nationwide on the NBC network.

Shows on which the ads will be aired include “60 Minutes,” “The Voice,” “The CBS Evening News,” “The Tonight Show” and “Saturday Night Live.”

Trade advertising that features HAL’s updated logo minus its traditional three- masted tall ship has already begun.

I didn't see it on CBS News.

I watched it aired on ABC News/Boston.

Edited by sail7seas

I saw the ad twice last night in the SoCalif. area. It was very well done. It was nice to see he Eurodam after sailing on her a few months ago.

I've seen it several times in the L.A. area since December 29. I don't pay much attention to commercials, but this catches my attention when the T.V. is on in the background, and I watch. Possibly because I like the audio, visuals, and travel. I think it is a well done commercial that will appeal to a wide range of travelers. JMO, Cherie

I saw it on ABC evening news, the national broadcast, not local. I wouldn't expect to see it on our local news (NYC-metro market) because HAL has no ship based in my area. I suspect the "selected markets" will be areas near their home ports. Sail and other have said it aired on Boston's local news.

Oaktreerb makes a good point about placement in the news. I do skip over commercials in anything I've recorded, but I watch the news in real time.

I saw the ad again last night. What strikes me is that it speaks to a more intellectual audience. That isn't quite the word I want, but as close as I can come up with. It's about experiences. They don't show a flashy production show, they show hands on a piano keyboard. You see just enough piano to know it's a grand, not an electronic keyboard. You see a beautifully presented plate of food. You see ports that are more than just "let's hang out on a beach." It goes with the idea of savoring experiences--thinking about what you're doing, taking it in and making memories.

Meanwhile, we also get ads for Anthem of the Seas. I don't know if these are on local or national programming. But if anything is the opposite of the HAL ad, it's this. It begins with "THIS IS NOT A CRUISE." And it goes on to show the flashy stuff they have, like the sky diving, the pod, etc. It's selling mindless excitement, very "in the moment."

I saw it on ABC evening news, the national broadcast, not local. I wouldn't expect to see it on our local news (NYC-metro market) because HAL has no ship based in my area. I suspect the "selected markets" will be areas near their home ports. Sail and other have said it aired on Boston's local news.

Oaktreerb makes a good point about placement in the news. I do skip over commercials in anything I've recorded, but I watch the news in real time.

I saw the ad again last night. What strikes me is that it speaks to a more intellectual audience. That isn't quite the word I want, but as close as I can come up with. It's about experiences. They don't show a flashy production show, they show hands on a piano keyboard. You see just enough piano to know it's a grand, not an electronic keyboard. You see a beautifully presented plate of food. You see ports that are more than just "let's hang out on a beach." It goes with the idea of savoring experiences--thinking about what you're doing, taking it in and making memories.

Meanwhile, we also get ads for Anthem of the Seas. I don't know if these are on local or national programming. But if anything is the opposite of the HAL ad, it's this. It begins with "THIS IS NOT A CRUISE." And it goes on to show the flashy stuff they have, like the sky diving, the pod, etc. It's selling mindless excitement, very "in the moment."

Local ads can still be inserted into national programs.

I highly doubt this is a national ad buy, but rather a way to drum up bookings for Boston-based trips.

Was this it: https://youtu.be/lJu7oFtAeZs

No, that's Norwegian Cruise Line's new commercial, which premiered two days ago. :p I thought for sure HAL's new commercial would be on YouTube and I would post a link so we could all see it, but no.

NCL's "Feel free" ad campaign makes me laugh. MANY years ago, our department secretary went to a workshop about improving business writing--letters, memos, etc. The teacher advised them to avoid using the phrase "feel free," as in "Feel free to contact me..." because he said there is no such thing as a "Free feel"!!! :eek: :D

I thought for sure HAL's new commercial would be on YouTube and I would post a link so we could all see it, but no.

Try this link... not sure if there's a way to view without the browser forcing it to download, but this was the embedded link in an industry email sent by HAL sales.

http://media.hollandamerica.com/pdf/Holland%20America%20Line%20TV%20spot%20V1_2016.wmv

Someone also mentioned print ads... they have those as well:

http://media.hollandamerica.com/pdf/Bold%20New%20Story%20Print%20Ads.pdf

Edited by InTheWASide

NCL's "Feel free" ad campaign makes me laugh. MANY years ago, our department secretary went to a workshop about improving business writing--letters, memos, etc. The teacher advised them to avoid using the phrase "feel free," as in "Feel free to contact me..." because he said there is no such thing as a "Free feel"!!! :eek: :D

That's funny, and consistent with the tone of the Feel Free campaign, I think. :cool: I just had to post the link because the contrast in tone is so severe. NCL's new campaign has Pitbull, shirtless men, flirty women and S E X. HAL's commercial has flowers, wine and violins. I guess that's what we call brand differentiation! The strange thing is that I sail BOTH lines; what does that say about me?

Try this link... not sure if there's a way to view without the browser forcing it to download, but this was the embedded link in an industry email sent by HAL sales.

http://media.hollandamerica.com/pdf/Holland%20America%20Line%20TV%20spot%20V1_2016.wmv

Someone also mentioned print ads... they have those as well:

http://media.hollandamerica.com/pdf/Bold%20New%20Story%20Print%20Ads.pdf

The link to the download worked! Thanks for sharing. :)

That's funny, and consistent with the tone of the Feel Free campaign, I think. :cool: I just had to post the link because the contrast in tone is so severe. NCL's new campaign has Pitbull, shirtless men, flirty women and S E X. HAL's commercial has flowers, wine and violins. I guess that's what we call brand differentiation! The strange thing is that I sail BOTH lines; what does that say about me?

The link to the download worked! Thanks for sharing. :)

Yeah, slight differences in the brands :D . I'm amused by "Feel FREE" given how much they are charging for these days... room services, venues announced and introduced as free, majority of the restaurants went to a la carte pricing, they upped the HSC amount twice in less than 6 months... Yes... "FREE"... I guess I would have to "FEEL" that way because it sure as hell won't be... And I understand revenue on board and all of that but JEEZ! I love NCL and have had some great cruises on them, but they would have been better off making some of these changes spread out over time and not just rapid fire over a few months.

And glad to hear those links worked. I had a feeling they would but wasn't sure

Edited by InTheWASide