I purchased the premium drink package, and...

I purchased the Premium Drink Package, and...  

144 members have voted

1. 1. I purchased the Premium Drink Package, and...

• Loved it! Can't imagine ever cruising with RCI again without it!
    • Not sure. We'll "play it by ear" for future cruises.
    • Nah, didn't work for us.
    • Other. There's always an other.

We've never purchased a drink package other than the soda package for my wife/kids.

We're unsure if it's worth it and are looking for some feedback from those who were hesitant to purchase the premium drink package, but decided to give it a try.

Thanks!

Dan

If you drink at least 5 cocktails per day, every day of the cruise, including port days, then the package will break even.

If you drink at least 5 cocktails per day, every day of the cruise, including port days, then the package will break even.

If You board early on Day 1 count that as a sea day, it is quite easy to drink the 5 drinks on the 1st day just to get you into the Vacation Mood:)

I may not break even on the 4 port days on my upcoming Jewel Cruise, but I will probably have more than 5 on the 2 Sea days and the 1st day.

Even if I don't break even, who cares, I'm on vacation and if I don't spend the money on the Drinks package my DW will sure spend it in the Spa:D

Very much depends on the cruise - ports vs sea days, who we are with, etc.

Purchased it for our Freedom of the Seas Thanksgiving cruise with family and it was a great deal for me.

Wont purchase it for the Adventure of the seas cruise next Thankgiving due to high number of port days and making Diamond so I should have a few "free" drinks every night so it wont be worth it.

There is no absolute answer that fits everyone, as Bob said at the start of the thread if you think you will consistently average 5+ per day then it makes sense if you cant see that happening then it wont.

I always get the Ultimate. By Noon each day I have 2 Double Kahlua Coffee Liqueurs in my coffee. One Squeezed OJ. One bottle water. Two BBC.

So that is like $70 by noon each day. No problem getting my money's worth on any day even port days.

But on the other hand we are starting to book other Cruise lines who include the drink package. I have several Celebrity dates booked and a couple NCL's. On NCL they did just change it to you have to pay for the gratuities on any of your free perks. But still a good deal.

Edited by jimkathyd1

I always get the Ultimate. By Noon each day I have 2 Double Kahlua Coffee Liqueurs in my coffee. One Squeezed OJ. One bottle water. Two BBC.

So that is like $70 by noon each day. No problem getting my money's worth on any day even port days.

I'm with you on the U-P. (Same city, different map :D) I'm more of a morning Mimosa and a few Bloody Caesars before lunch, but usually, by 2 or 3 PM, I've already broken even on the package.

dp

On an average day , my wife has a couple of cocktails, I have 2 to 3 beers and we get a bottle of wine for dinner. Some days we might have more or less depending if it's a sea day or port day. Our average bar tab is $600. The premium package is $800 for 7 days for both of us. Straight math would say it's not worth it for us. However, we plan to get the package for our next cruise in April. Here is why....On past cruises we tended to keep track of what we drank worrying about our final bar tab. We are willing to spend an extra $200 for the package so we don't have to worry about our tab (we are on vacation after all). We also feel it will allow us to try different drinks/ beers.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

The first time I bought it, it was about the same as what my last cruise bar bill was, so it looked like break even. Several cruise later, I don't know if I break even or not, but I strongly suspect I do. This includes bottled water, and soda. This helps the break even part also. I like knowing on the ship, once I step on it, that I will owe nothing when I step off. My next cruise I have $100.00 OBC. I will struggle spending it. (My wife won't have any struggles).

I don't count how many drinks I have, or look at prices. That is why the package is so good. I have no worries. :D

Does the premium package include bottled water?

When I look at the lists on RCCL webpage, I am not sure:

Does Premium include what is listed PLUS what is listed in all the cheaper packages? Or just what is listed under each package?

The Premium package includes bottled still water.

However, it does not include specialty coffees, fresh squeezed juices, or bottled sparking water.

We usually do get the package and feel it has been worth it for us, however there are things to consider including itinerary (how many port days vs sea days and what you will be doing in port), who else you are traveling with, and what C&A status you are (and if you will take advantage of the lounges if you can). I am sure there is more but those are the big items.

For us unless it is a really port intensive cruise with places to get inexpensive drinks we will do the package. We are diamond but the hours of the lounges are when we finishing up at the pool and getting ready for dinner so don't take advantage of that. We don't usually go to repeaters party so skip that. We do sometimes go to the higher level repeaters party, but depends where and what that is which you won't know before hand.

Count in the fact that bottled waters are included (which we drink a lot of on the cruise), sodas and the fact that we can try new drinks along with our old standbys it pays for us, but we do make that conscious decision on each and every cruise, not just get it because.

I always get the Premium. A good glass of wine is $12. Two with lunch and two with dinner, plus tip, gets you close to breaking even. So any drinks before, in between or after those each day is where I enjoy the benefit of the package.

We did the drink package on our 12-day Anthem cruise in November. I got the premium, my BF got the ultimate because he likes specialty coffee, whereas I do not drink coffee very often. We felt we got our money's worth. In the late morning, I would have 1-2 bloody mary's by the pool followed by several seltzers and/or diet cokes in my fancy insulated soda cup they give you with the drink package. By afternoon we moved on to cocktails like Tom Collins or margaritas. Had a few of those. We always went for pre-dinner cocktails at one of the lounges and typically had two cocktails each there. Moving on to dinner, we had 1-2 glasses of wine and/or cocktails (main dining rooms have featured drinks on their menu which is fun). Then round things off with a nightcap at the Bionic Bar or another lounge, 1-2 drinks each, it was worth it. Don't forget the bottled water you get and soda. I ordered an after dinner cappuccino or espresso a few times and even though I had the premium, they did not bill us. I assume they put the coffees on my BF's ultimate package (even if he had coffee too) so that was nice. We did go on excursions at almost every port but got back early enough to enjoy the drink package throughout the day and night. I never encountered ordering a cocktail or glass of wine that was not included. Mind you it sounds like a lot of drinking but we paced it out and were never really drunk and had no hangovers. That being said the drinks are not weak by any means and the wine pours were quite generous.

Just noticed the premium package has now gone up to $57.82 per day. an increase of $0.82 per day.

New prices:

Select $46.02

Premium $57.82

Ultimate $69.62

I always thought the Premium package was 57.82. It use to be listed as 49.00 per day before they included the gratuity in the price. Tack on the 18% gratuity and thats the 8.82 making it 57.82

I got it on the FOS last year because it was not a port intensive itinerary, with a 1/2 day in St. Thomas, a full day in St. Marteen, and Coco Cay (where the package works). I still didn't get my monies worth (though i tried :)) By the the 4th day I think I only had a blood mary twice (I love the station where they let you choice the condiments for it in the promenade) and then was drinking shirley temples, diet cokes and virgin mud slides. I think for others it works great, but it was too much pressure for me. Since my next cruise is on the Adventure, and we have 5 stops with 1 sea day, I will definitely not be getting it, but will get a soda package, since I have a raging DC addition.

Great replies so far! I enjoy reading about your experiences. Thank you!

One question: With the premium package you still get the souvenir soda cup right?

Dan

Yes, you get the soda cup with all unlimited packages.

I responded that I loved the Premium package but I actually purchased the Ultimate over our Indy NYE cruise and my dh purchased the Premium. I would most certainly do it again.

I'm 48 and my dh is 51 and we were never drunk, maybe a little buzzed one-two nights.

Even if we broke even (I think it was in our favor) I would purchase again. It was nice trying new drinks and not having to worry about a bill at the end of our cruise.

I also loved that we did not have to sign a slip of paper for every single drink we purchased, which we have to do on NCL.

Yes, you get the soda cup with all unlimited packages.

I did on the FOS, you needed it to use the freestyle coke machines.

Thanks! I'm thinking about getting the premium package for my wife. She has purchased the soda package every past cruise anyway, which is now $8 pp per night, so adding on the premium package for her is like adding $49 a night. I also like the bottle water. Huge plus.

This would be for our upcoming 8 night eastern cruise with the sail away, 3 sea days and 4 port days.

We could both easily come out ahead on the cost of the package if we wanted to, but we've been more reserved with drinking on our past cruises due to the high (especially since this spring! dang!:mad:) drink prices on the ships. Our bar tab on past cruises has been pretty far below what the package cost is, but like I said, we held back many times when we didn't necessarily want to.:(

Seems as though it's about a 3 to 1 ratio for those that would absolutely do it again, versus those that wouldn't so the odds are in our favor of being glad we bought it. :)

Dan

Great replies so far! I enjoy reading about your experiences. Thank you!

One question: With the premium package you still get the souvenir soda cup right?

Dan

Yes you will get the cup. Ours were not placed in our room for whatever reason but a quick trip to guest services and we got our cups.