I purchased the premium drink package, and...

I purchased the Premium Drink Package, and...  

144 members have voted

1. 1. I purchased the Premium Drink Package, and...

• Loved it! Can't imagine ever cruising with RCI again without it!
    • Not sure. We'll "play it by ear" for future cruises.
    • Nah, didn't work for us.
    • Other. There's always an other.

Here's my experience.

When we did the Mediterranean I got the non-alcohol package for my son's and I and the ultimate package for my dh. It worked perfectly for us. The water bottles alone made it worth it. With the trip being per intensive and since you can get great wine at every port I didn't drink much on the ship.

When dh and I did the Grandeur out of Baltimore we both had the drink package. I'm not much of a drinker but I felt it was worth it. Now they have all those different flavors of vodka and rum, it was kind of fun to try them and not worry about it if I didn't like it. I joked with the bartender that I wanted to work my way across the shelf. :) since this was the Port Canaveral, Nassau run, we didn't get off the ship much either.

I will be purchasing the package when we go to Bermuda this fall on Anthem

We are on Harmony in the Med in August. I'm still debating, but leaning toward NOT getting the beverage package. We can definitely put away the booze, but give the port intensive nature of the cruise, I'm not sure even I will be able to justify the cost. Plus, at dinner I'd rather not have to try to flag the drinks waiter down in the middle of my dinner for a second (or third!!) glass of wine. Particularly as I've read that getting a drinks waiter lately has been tough on some ships. I'd rather order a bottle. Now, if they do the 10 punch card, or one day package, we may do that! I was very disappointed to see that the kids soda package has been raised to the same price as the adult. Soooo many changes RCI! And not good ones either!

Edited by KiwiGal117

People will say you have to drink 5-6 cocktails per day to make it worthwhile, but I don't think that is entirely true. One big benefit for me was being able to order anything on the menu I thought I would like to try. If I didn't like it, I could just not drink it and get something else without feeling guilty. I also enjoyed the fresh squeezed orange juice at breakfast every day, sodas from the soda machine, and had a couple of frozen fruit drinks without alcohol. I would have purchased the coke plan if I hadn't purchased the premium plan, so for me it was really just the approximately $30 difference between the two. Since Royal raised their drink prices, that comes to just three drinks.

At the end of the cruise, I figured out I'd have spent just a little over the drink plan price if I'd paid for everything. I still had to say I'll have to decide on a per cruise basis. My next cruise has a higher ratio of shore time to sea time and I don't think it would be worth it in that case.

Edited by TravelinGert
Left a bit out, sorry.

.... I would have purchased the coke plan if I hadn't purchased the premium plan, so for me it was really just the approximately $30 difference between the two.....

Coke package = $9 per day, Premium package = $57 per day.:confused:

I'll speak to the relaxation part of the drink package. We had it on our last 7 day on Freedom. Part of vacation for us is not having to drive anywhere or be 'responsible' in other ways. We disconnect. As soon as the cell phones go in the safe we have a mimosa or bloody mary with breakfast without feeling the slightest guilty. There are no clocks for us on vacation. We sleep when we're tired, wake when we want, eat when we are hungry and have a drink whenever the mood strikes.

In the past, that's been super fun until the statement review when we leave. $$$$$ :eek:

By doing the drink package, it's a set budget. Set it and forget it. And...well, pretty sure RCL lost money on us last year.

I'll speak to the relaxation part of the drink package. We had it on our last 7 day on Freedom. Part of vacation for us is not having to drive anywhere or be 'responsible' in other ways. We disconnect. As soon as the cell phones go in the safe we have a mimosa or bloody mary with breakfast without feeling the slightest guilty. There are no clocks for us on vacation. We sleep when we're tired, wake when we want, eat when we are hungry and have a drink whenever the mood strikes.

In the past, that's been super fun until the statement review when we leave. $$$$$ :eek:

By doing the drink package, it's a set budget. Set it and forget it. And...well, pretty sure RCL lost money on us last year.

Well said!! You sound exactly like us

Just noticed the premium package has now gone up to $57.82 per day. an increase of $0.82 per day.

New prices:

Select $46.02

Premium $57.82

Ultimate $69.62

the "Select" package is only beer, wine & soda?? just curious because if I remember from last year on the Quantum and bucket of 7 beers(w/tip) was about $35.

Edited by toad455

Well said!! You sound exactly like us

Us too. Bar bill would be crazy (and has been in the past) without the drinks package. Gives peace of mind.

Will be Diamond the cruise after next and will still pay for the package. We really don't want to be forced into a lounge for a few free drinks at a time when we would rather be elsewhere, getting ready, dinner etc. Really off topic, but for some this benefit is amazing, for us it's just not at all.

I'd really like to be able to choose benefits that would fit actually fit what you would like at each level rather than something that is no use at all.

Edited by NathUK

I'm going back and forth with the drink package on my upcoming cruise. It's a 10 night sailing with 3 sea days and 6 ports, but it's also my first cruise as Diamond, so I'll have the happy hour period that I can enjoy drinks at as well.

I can hold my liquor extremely well, so breaking even wouldn't be an issue, but on my last two cruises, I haven't drunk as much as I normally do and I figure this may be the same. I will most likely wait to see if they offer any specials on board, like the 10 drink card someone was mentioning. This is something that would more suit my needs.

Edited by Virtopia

I'm going back and forth with the drink package on my upcoming cruise. It's a 10 night sailing with 3 sea days and 6 ports, but it's also my first cruise as Diamond, so I'll have the happy hour period that I can enjoy drinks at as well.

I can hold my liquor extremely well, so breaking even wouldn't be an issue, but on my last two cruises, I haven't drunk as much as I normally do and I figure this may be the same. I will most likely wait to see if they offer any specials on board, like the 10 drink card someone was mentioning. This is something that would more suit my needs.

On the Grandeur sailing I just returned from (10 nights, 4 ports), they were selling the 10-drink card for $89.95 (I'm assuming plus the usual 18% gratuity). You can use it for any beverage (including soda/pop) but it'd be silly to use the card for anything cheaper than $9 per drink.

I didn't even buy the "Refreshment" package this time for unlimited pop (which I always had in the past) -- $8.50/day and I honestly don't need to drink that much pop...the free drinks (water, lemonade, iced tea, etc.) were good enough for me.

• 2 weeks later...
If You board early on Day 1 count that as a sea day, it is quite easy to drink the 5 drinks on the 1st day just to get you into the Vacation Mood:)

I may not break even on the 4 port days on my upcoming Jewel Cruise, but I will probably have more than 5 on the 2 Sea days and the 1st day.

Even if I don't break even, who cares, I'm on vacation and if I don't spend the money on the Drinks package my DW will sure spend it in the Spa:D

I'm with you on this one. I got one the last cruise and plan on my cruise in 22 days as well. I maybe broke even on the last one between the drinks, the after dinner dessert shots, bottled water, and a diet coke a day but I was ok with that. It also allowed me to try new drinks that I may not have if I had to buy them.