Drinks Package price increase

Do people think that prices are going to stay the same forever and ever?

As a matter of fact I do! My cruise is 30 days away not really expecting any price changes but got them. Lots of items are higher then my RCL cruise a year ago. Specialty Reasturants, drink packages and drinks, - also excursion prices are up - many items are up a lot. Now if we had a lot of inflation then yes, but there is no inflation and given some of the economic indicators lately we may be in for some deflation again. So - as a matter of fact I do!;)

Getting ready to take my first cruise with Royal and these drink prices like this have me wondering if this will be my only one :(

We've taken many cruises with Royal, and all of their prices (not just drink prices) are making us book fewer cruises.

We've taken many cruises with Royal, and all of their prices (not just drink prices) are making us book fewer cruises.

With you on this one, experimenting with NCL and trying Carnival again this year before returning to RCI for Thanksgiving.

Wanted to do RCI for SB '17 but between prices and the onboard booking fiasco it looks like that reservation is going to Carnival.

I would like to do RCI again for Thanksgiving '17 but obviously the schedule doesn't go that far yet :( and since it will be a large family trip again it is going to be very dependent on the competitiveness of RCI pricing.

I'm so disappointed to read this thread. I was just looking at pricing a couple of days ago. To know that, had I booked then, I would have saved @$30 for each of my three kids to have the soda card kills me. $100 just went poof! Uggh. They love those freestyle machines, too. Rats.

I'm so disappointed to read this thread. I was just looking at pricing a couple of days ago. To know that, had I booked then, I would have saved @$30 for each of my three kids to have the soda card kills me. $100 just went poof! Uggh. They love those freestyle machines, too. Rats.

Didn't go poof, it went into Royal's pockets.

Crazy! They should be ashamed for charging these prices. The actual price of the cruise for the Anthem is elevated enough! Nickel and diming is the way of RCI! I kind of wish my husband would have booked our 12 day cruise on a different line! I'm getting aggravated and we didn't even get on the ship yet. I don't care who likes it or not I'm bring a case of water and a case of diet coke with me. If they take it, they take it but I'm going to try! I'm sure if we tip the porter enough he'll make sure it gets on the ship :-)

Edited by tbill

As a matter of fact I do! My cruise is 30 days away not really expecting any price changes but got them. Lots of items are higher then my RCL cruise a year ago. Specialty Reasturants, drink packages and drinks, - also excursion prices are up - many items are up a lot. Now if we had a lot of inflation then yes, but there is no inflation and given some of the economic indicators lately we may be in for some deflation again. So - as a matter of fact I do!;)

Then I guess on a personal side you also don't expect any pay raises in the past or future

Well of course not, it would be ridiculous to think so, and I don't think anyone on this thread is that delusional.:confused:

That being said, If the info on this thread pans out, and they do eventually eliminate the kids discount on the soda package, then thanks to this thread, I just saved $49 CAD bucks by purchasing the packages for the kids today. If there are any changes that would be more in my favor, I can simply cancel them before we leave and they will credit back my CC.

As far as I am concerned, the entire purpose of this site is to pass along information and finding ways to get a better deal.

dp

I would tend to agree with you that this site is to pass along information.

However, the original poster started this thread with a big ole red thumbs down emoji. That tells me that the original poster is upset and had a different expectation which, in my opinion, is unrealistic

Up Up and away......

If RCI was to bring in a BOGO or a drink card or a daily drink package I wouldn't mind a slight increase..

$1000 now for a cpl to drink on a week long cruise...

that's the only WOW I get from RCI these days...

2 premium pkgs for a 7 day cruise is a bit over $800.

You are living in a larger world than you think. Royals cost are not only incurred in the US. A lot of their expenses including new ships comes from foreign countries that are experiencing inflation.

Getting ready to take my first cruise with Royal and these drink prices like this have me wondering if this will be my only one :(

Don't let this thread intimidate you. The Premium Drink Pkg has NOT gone up in awhile. They are still $49/day plus 18% gratuity. The percent of gratuity went up less than a year ago. The daily rate remained the same at $49/day.

Enjoy your cruise!

Posts like this make me chuckle. I wish I could have bought my new truck for what I paid in 2005, but I don't see that as realistic.

As long as ships are full, prices will rise. Prices will only plateau or decline when there is a negative impact to their KPI numbers.

I would tend to agree with you that this site is to pass along information.

However, the original poster started this thread with a big ole red thumbs down emoji. That tells me that the original poster is upset and had a different expectation which, in my opinion, is unrealistic

I am not upset about the increase it is only $10 between the 2 of us, not even the price of a frozen Mojito.

I just wanted to inform everyone that the prices had changed. luckily, we have no Children with us, I would have been upset then with the increase in the Soda Package.

Pretty interesting read. I was on the December 31st majesty sailing - I purchased the Premium package on board and it was 55 a day plus gratuities - the final charge for the 4 day sailing was 259.60 per person. Is it possible that rates go up for holiday sailings?

Found this on the RCL website under Premium Pkg, Overview, then learn More. This is one of many FAQ listed;

Q: Are gratuities included in the all-inclusive beverage packages purchase price?

image: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/s.gif

A: A service charge of 18% is already included in the purchase price when you purchase your beverage package pre cruise.

Interesting note.... it states pre-cruise.

Found this on the RCL website under Premium Pkg, Overview, then learn More. This is one of many FAQ listed;

Q: Are gratuities included in the all-inclusive beverage packages purchase price?

image: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/s.gif

A: A service charge of 18% is already included in the purchase price when you purchase your beverage package pre cruise.

Interesting note.... it states pre-cruise.

I wonder if it's so or hasn't been updated in a while. Although, I received an e-mail from my TA advising that if I prepay the grats., they will remain at the old rate. This I did for my upcoming Anthem & Navigator cruises.

Not sure what all the comments about price increases are all about. The increase from 15% to 18% for automatic gratuities happened some time ago. A 3% raise for the bar servers seems appropriate. It had been at 15% for years. Don't most people get a raise once in a while? 3% is hardly a shock to the pocketbook.

The drink packages haven't gone up. We purchased our 7 day premium package a few weeks ago and we were charged $399 per person. $798 all in for two adults, hardly a shock to the pocketbook if you are a consumer of alcohol. You aren't forced to purchase it you know.

The price of the cruises hasn't really gone up. In 2003 and 2004 we paid the same for Royal Ships cruising out of Galveston for 7 nights over spring break. The last three years we have sailed spring break out of Galveston and in 20014 and 2015 we paid less for a JS than we did for a balcony cabin back in '03 and '04. This year we are paying about $100 less than we did 12 -13 years ago. Hardly a price increase at all.

I think maybe people who sailed very inexpensively when the economy tanked in 2008 and the immediate years after think prices have gone up because the economy is so much stronger now and can tolerate current pricing. But todays prices looked at historically over 10 - 15 years are not really higher for the cabins. Sure some things aren't included anymore but new things are available that are included.

Cruising is still a great value.

Not sure what all the comments about price increases are all about. The increase from 15% to 18% for automatic gratuities happened some time ago. A 3% raise for the bar servers seems appropriate. It had been at 15% for years. Don't most people get a raise once in a while? 3% is hardly a shock to the pocketbook.

The drink packages haven't gone up. We purchased our 7 day premium package a few weeks ago and we were charged $399 per person. $798 all in for two adults, hardly a shock to the pocketbook if you are a consumer of alcohol. You aren't forced to purchase it you know.

The price of the cruises hasn't really gone up. In 2003 and 2004 we paid the same for Royal Ships cruising out of Galveston for 7 nights over spring break. The last three years we have sailed spring break out of Galveston and in 20014 and 2015 we paid less for a JS than we did for a balcony cabin back in '03 and '04. This year we are paying about $100 less than we did 12 -13 years ago. Hardly a price increase at all.

I think maybe people who sailed very inexpensively when the economy tanked in 2008 and the immediate years after think prices have gone up because the economy is so much stronger now and can tolerate current pricing. But todays prices looked at historically over 10 - 15 years are not really higher for the cabins. Sure some things aren't included anymore but new things are available that are included.

You are missing the point. No one is complaining about the grats increase, but the price of the overall drink packages that have increased. At this point we don't know if the drink packages price, as shown in the cruise planner, include the grats which makes the new prices a bit palatable. However, to make the price of some of the packages the same for adults and kids is a bit unnerving.

Don't know if this is the right place to post this...but, besides 2 bottles of wine, what other beverages can you carry on to the ship (Anthem)? Soda, water, other alcohol? Thanks!

Royal's rule says nothing other than the two bottles of wine, however they rarely enforce that rule in the case of water and soda.

Edited by clarea

IMO, the gratuity % increase was totally unnecessary since the drink prices (paying out of pocket, not the drink packages) skyrocketed this past spring. Even if the gratuity had stayed at 15%, their gratuity per drink went way up.

Dan

IMO, the gratuity % increase was totally unnecessary since the drink prices (paying out of pocket, not the drink packages) skyrocketed this past spring. Even if the gratuity had stayed at 15%, their gratuity per drink went way up.

Dan

Not all drink prices skyrocketed. Yes, specialty cocktail pricing was an eyeopener when $14 prices were seen. But a basic drink like a vodka tonic is still reasonably priced. Basic American beers are still reasonably priced. I think Royal wants people to buy the packages and they raised the specialty drink prices to get people to see the value in buying a package. Like it or not, it is what it is. The prices will go to what the market will bear. That's capitalism for ya! :D

As far as the gratuities, I know people that got upset at the 15% and I also know people who tip extra for every drink. There is a wide opinion about gratuities.