UK resident booking with US Cruise Travel Agent

mellg2405

If I live in the UK and book a Celebrity cruise online with a US agent will I be denied boarding. The cruise is much cheaper doing it this way but I have heard that I might be denied embarkation. Has anyone booked this way recently???

We have booked many times in the US and have never had a problem because X allow you to book via the States. Unsure who told you that you would be denied boarding, but they probably have never booked themselves using a US TA ;)? Many of us on CC use US TAs :).

If I live in the UK and book a Celebrity cruise online with a US agent will I be denied boarding. The cruise is much cheaper doing it this way but I have heard that I might be denied embarkation. Has anyone booked this way recently???

Celebrity does not care who or where you book. He only issue with a US TA is you will need to pay thru them in USD. Also be sure and ask for a bit extra in OBC. Everything else is the same in needing ID, passport and credit card for the checkin process.

PS - Welcome to Cruise Critic. Be sure and take a look at the roll call for the cruise you choose. Lots of great information there.

Welcome to CC. We are Canadians and us a US agent all the time.

This is first time I have booked with US agent for upcoming cruise in 2 weeks, yippee!!! One slight hiccup, if you can call it that, was the printed luggage tag request. Because we booked via the US agent, when we requested luggage tags via our reservation online, the drop down menu for country only shows US or Canada. I contacted Captains Club and they said because we had booked through US agent they would have to request and send them to us. I contacted TA and they said there would be a mailing charge plus admin fee, so guess what, I will just use the ones given by Porters at the Cruise Terminal! I know I could have used the paper print off ones from the cruise booklet but I cannot be bothered with all that sellotape so opting for the Porters.

I have been looking for cruise deals on a web site I can't mention. If I look for a cruise on X, RCCL and Azamara I get this information:

"Please note: Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Azamara no longer allow agents based in the U.S. and Canada to quote customers outside that region. We do have some non-U.S.-based agencies who are able to offer quotes, but this may reduce the number of responses you receive. We apologize for any inconvenience."

It seems that it's only the RCCL owned companies that act like this...:mad:

This is first time I have booked with US agent for upcoming cruise in 2 weeks, yippee!!! One slight hiccup, if you can call it that, was the printed luggage tag request. Because we booked via the US agent, when we requested luggage tags via our reservation online, the drop down menu for country only shows US or Canada. I contacted Captains Club and they said because we had booked through US agent they would have to request and send them to us. I contacted TA and they said there would be a mailing charge plus admin fee, so guess what, I will just use the ones given by Porters at the Cruise Terminal! I know I could have used the paper print off ones from the cruise booklet but I cannot be bothered with all that sellotape so opting for the Porters.

We printed the one in the cruise booklet several times, laminated it, punched a hole in it and used cable ties when we had the same issue you have. Took all of 10 minutes.

• Like 1

I have been looking for cruise deals on a web site I can't mention. If I look for a cruise on X, RCCL and Azamara I get this information:

"Please note: Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Azamara no longer allow agents based in the U.S. and Canada to quote customers outside that region. We do have some non-U.S.-based agencies who are able to offer quotes, but this may reduce the number of responses you receive. We apologize for any inconvenience."

It seems that it's only the RCCL owned companies that act like this...:mad:

I can assure you that we have booked via a US TA for both Celebrity and RCL without any problems whatsoever, although the price variance has diminished to a point that it is now debatable which booking option is the best.

I think you will be fine. We live in Canada. We booked an Australian cruise last Feb. with RCI in Australia. No issue. The saving was substantial.

My sister booked a Celebrity Baltic cruise for this past summer with a UK travel agent. 15 percent savings. Again...no issue whatsoever.

One thing to keep in mind that is different. Keep watching the cruise prices for either price decreases or cabin category changes. IF you see that the price has decrease prior to final payment you can have your fare re-priced to the lower amount. You can also cancel prior to final payment and have your deposit refunded.

Edited by iancal

One thing to keep in mind that is different. Keep watching the cruise prices for either price decreases or cabin category changes. IF you see that the price has decrease prior to final payment you can have your fare re-priced to the lower amount. You can also cancel prior to final payment and have your deposit refunded.

Note: you can only do these things if booked with a US agent NOT a UK one.

• 2 months later...

The agent we use takes cc details and we are charged directly by the cruise line. If you cancel (we have) the refund of deposit is paid back directly by the cruise line. Right now we are sticking with our UK agent as the rate of exchange is most definately not in our favour.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Right now we are sticking with our UK agent as the rate of exchange is most definately not in our favour.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Agreed, unless the OBC offered by the US TA is far in excess of the exchange difference and includes further perks not offered in the UK ;). It's always best to check both sides of the pond and include all the applicable perks/promos when comparing pricing ;). Remember too, price drops and amendments are so much easier to obtain in the US, and don't incur penalties ;).

The agent we use takes cc details and we are charged directly by the cruise line. If you cancel (we have) the refund of deposit is paid back directly by the cruise line. Right now we are sticking with our UK agent as the rate of exchange is most definately not in our favour.

Appreciate that the £/$ is not great at the moment, despite this my cruise is still show as 30ish % cheaper via a US agent?

Appreciate that the £/$ is not great at the moment, despite this my cruise is still show as 30ish % cheaper via a US agent?

Exactly. As others have said you must compare everything that is included when looking at various options at booking. Losing on the exchange rate may be eclipsed by a better rate and OBC. It's the bottom line that counts. Occasional (albeit rarely) we benefit from a UK rate.

I don't know why the Brits have been taken advantage of when it comes to cruise rates. When I moved across the pond a few years ago I was stunned at the rates I was seeing and one of the first things I did was to ensure I could book cruises through a US TA which proved to be simple.

While the exchange rate may not be great you have to factor in the fact that on board or in the US they are offering 2 perks included which you are not getting in the UK. Suites get Premium beverage, free gratuities, Unlimited internet for 2 and $300 OBC. If booked onboard you also get obc for the booking either on the cruise you are on or on the future cruise.

Everything is paid through the USA TA. Some TAs require you provide a USA or Canada address. Also it is not just Celebrity that has a policy of "not allowing" bookings fro Brits through US TAs. The issue is your liability law that is much more consumer friendly. Here if you miss a port or something you get only a we are sorry.

I recently had quotes from 3 American agents and all 3 said they were allowed to book uk guess & all 3 said they didn't need a US/CN address, plus all 3 had a much better deal Vs what's on offer in the uk and that's with the current exchange rate, plus if (when) the rate gets better it'll only enhance the deals available through booking via America!

I am from Ireland and always use a US TA. As a previous poster said, on my upcoming trip I am getting two perks and OBC from the US TA. Got a quote here in Ireland and was quoted about 30% more and offered one perk and no OBC from agent. Also, it is so easy to get price drops with US agent. US cruisers expect it. European customers wouldn't even think to ask.... As with flights etc the price you book here at is the price you have to pay. Each payment taken appears on cc as 'celebrity cruises' which is re assuring also. I know the first time I booked in US I was a bit nervous, but once you've done it once, you won't look back.

It used to be a larger saving on actual cruise price when dollar was weaker but still makes sense given extra perks and price drop possibilities. On a past Caribbean trip we had two cabins and had at least a $600 drop in price up to final payment. I'd hate to have missed that!

It used to be a larger saving on actual cruise price when dollar was weaker but still makes sense given extra perks and price drop possibilities. On a past Caribbean trip we had two cabins and had at least a $600 drop in price up to final payment. I'd hate to have missed that!

Exactly the point I was making in a previous post. Take my current cruise, since the initial deployment price was released, at it's lowest point on the cabin I've booked, it's dropped by nearly $2000pp :eek:. Now this has been over a long period of time and after several price drops. If I'd booked in the UK, I would have had to forfeit my deposit (x 4 pax) to get the lower price and where would I have stopped: after the first price drop, second, third? Each time losing my deposit to gain the better price. Now times that by 4 people in the family (admittedly, not the same saving on my kids cabin, but you get the gist of what I'm saying) and it's worth booking in the US big time :eek:!

It doesn't always work out this way, but that's the chance you take ;). Obviously I can't wait until after final payment because I need more than 1 cabin and we also have to sail in high season; I personally like the flexibility booking in the US gives. So it's what governs your particular circumstances that can affect the decision whether to book here or in the US ;).

Hi

There is no problem booking through a TA in the good old USA,

They are usually more knowledgable and give great customer service.

We have used ours for over 5 years and have 2017 and 2018

cruises booked with him.

Next year he matched the $300 OBC We had for booking on board plus

Paid our Gratuities, for the 2018 cruise as we booked a suite he gave us $600

OBC.

FIND a TA in the UK that would or can do that,plus he tells me if there is a price reduction,

Exchange rates - Who cares