Driving holiday in New Zealand

How many places are you wanting to visit in the North Island and the South Island? Remember you need to allow time to explore those places, not just drive in late afternoon, eat, sleep, and move onto the next place.

I suggest using Google maps to find out the driving times between places, then you will be able to get a better idea of how much time you need to allow.

You may be able to omit some of the places that your cruise stops at as well.

Happy to help where possible. :)

How long is a piece of string?

We spent 2 1/2 weeks just doing the South Island and still didn't get to many places, like Picton and the Marlborough region or Invercargill and Stewart Island.

Make a list of all the places you want to go to and what things are to be done and then allow the time to see and do them with possibly a 2-4 hour drive (200-400kms) every other day.

Thank you for your reply, OzKiwi.

I actually counted 17 nights in New Zealand now, but instead of travelling each day I also came to the conclusion that it might be better to travel longer distances but remain in one spot for a few days. It looks like this at the moment and your input is greatly appreciated. :)

Auckland to Taupo (277 km) (3 nights)

25.2. Taupo to Wellington 375 km (1 night) (close to Ferry port)

Wellington to Picton with Ferry (3 hours)

26.2. Picton to Greymouth (350 km) (3 nights)

1.3. Greymouth to Arrowtown (510 km) 3 nights

4.3. Arrowtown to Hawarden (543 km) 1 night

5.3. Hawarden to Picton (293 km)

Take ferry to Wellington (3 hours)

Wellington 1 night

6.3. Wellington to Otorohanga (451 km) (1 night)

7.3. Otorohanga to Paihia (406 km) (4 nights)

11.3. Auckland

How long is a piece of string?

We spent 2 1/2 weeks just doing the South Island and still didn't get to many places, like Picton and the Marlborough region or Invercargill and Stewart Island.

Make a list of all the places you want to go to and what things are to be done and then allow the time to see and do them with possibly a 2-4 hour drive (200-400kms) every other day.

Hi MicCanberra

Thank you for your advice. I already made a few cuts on areas which I would have loved to see. Looking at the pictures, New Zealand is an amazing country. :)

http://www.krusenz.com/

We highly recommend renting one of these Kruse GPS guide units. We found, explored and learned about many places we would have otherwise missed when we did our fly/drive holiday there a few years ago. It's like having your own private tour guide in the car with you. Definitely worth the $10/day.

http://www.krusenz.com/

We highly recommend renting one of these Kruse GPS guide units. We found, explored and learned about many places we would have otherwise missed when we did our fly/drive holiday there a few years ago. It's like having your own private tour guide in the car with you. Definitely worth the $10/day.

Thank you very much Lyndarra!! I will definitely look into that one! :D

Thank you for your reply, OzKiwi.

I actually counted 17 nights in New Zealand now, but instead of travelling each day I also came to the conclusion that it might be better to travel longer distances but remain in one spot for a few days. It looks like this at the moment and your input is greatly appreciated. :)

Auckland to Taupo (277 km) (3 nights)

25.2. Taupo to Wellington 375 km (1 night) (close to Ferry port)

Wellington to Picton with Ferry (3 hours)

26.2. Picton to Greymouth (350 km) (3 nights)

1.3. Greymouth to Arrowtown (510 km) 3 nights

4.3. Arrowtown to Hawarden (543 km) 1 night

5.3. Hawarden to Picton (293 km)

Take ferry to Wellington (3 hours)

Wellington 1 night

6.3. Wellington to Otorohanga (451 km) (1 night)

7.3. Otorohanga to Paihia (406 km) (4 nights)

11.3. Auckland

Your choice of stopping places is a bit weird IMHO. I'm not sure what sightseeing you plan to do in places like Greymouth or Harwarden. I would recommend some one night stops but mostly two night stops except perhaps for the Arrowtown/Queenstown area where you might like to stop three nights.

Also don't just go by distances, check the driving times using Google maps. NZ roads are not fast freeways, and often have a number of small towns that you pass through that slow you down.

How many days maximum could you do?

Your choice of stopping places is a bit weird IMHO. I'm not sure what sightseeing you plan to do in places like Greymouth or Harwarden. I would recommend some one night stops but mostly two night stops except perhaps for the Arrowtown/Queenstown area where you might like to stop three nights.

Also don't just go by distances, check the driving times using Google maps. NZ roads are not fast freeways, and often have a number of small towns that you pass through that slow you down.

I apologise, I should have explained that the reason for stopping in some of the places for 3 nights are the scenic route drives which we will be doing a lot. Another reason for staying longer is laundry! :D

But I take on board your advice about 2 night stop overs.

I think I maxed out on the time spent in New Zealand (18 days) otherwise my other half will pull his grey hair out! :D

I apologise, I should have explained that the reason for stopping in some of the places for 3 nights are the scenic route drives which we will be doing a lot. Another reason for staying longer is laundry! :D

But I take on board your advice about 2 night stop overs.

I think I maxed out on the time spent in New Zealand (18 days) otherwise my other half will pull his grey hair out! :D

Try to build the scenic drives into your point-to-point driving, otherwise you'll lose too much time.

Understand about the laundry stops - a couple of years ago we did a seven week trip to Ireland and the UK. Planning the laundry stops was a vital part of our itinerary. ;)

Also I noticed a couple of omissions from your itinerary - Rotorua (which has a lot more tourist attractions than Taupo) and Mt Cook which I'd really recommend fitting in as a one night stop on your way back from Arrowtown/Queenstown.

BTW you may find it better to stay in Queenstown rather than Arrowtown as it's more central, especially if you want to do tours.

This is a very important point being made, travel times are longer than you think. Example travel from Wellington to Auckland area, would be approx 10 hours that is allowing a few stops for food and comfort and we are used to driving on these roads, your trip from Auckland to Paihia is more like a 5-6 hour drive. We have a speed limit of 100 kms on open roads but that doesn't mean you can always drive at that limit.

This is a very important point being made, travel times are longer than you think. Example travel from Wellington to Auckland area, would be approx 10 hours that is allowing a few stops for food and comfort and we are used to driving on these roads, your trip from Auckland to Paihia is more like a 5-6 hour drive. We have a speed limit of 100 kms on open roads but that doesn't mean you can always drive at that limit.

There are no autobahns in NZ, also lots of interesting stops that are not necessarily on the tourist map.

There are no autobahns in NZ, also lots of interesting stops that are not necessarily on the tourist map.

Most of our main roads are considered back roads overseas....just 2 lanes, one going each way through very hilly terrain. You can be travelling at the speed limit of 100 kms and suddenly come to a sharp bend where the speed is reduced to say 45 kms or less.

We are also having a lot of problems with Asian tourists who forget which side of the road they should be travelling on.

On our first driving holiday to NZ we made the rookie error of planning to travel too far each day - made for an exhausting week driving one way between CCH and AUK.

When we plan these days we double the time Google Maps suggests for a drive (or halve the distance).

Have you considered not looping back to AUK in your vehicle but drop the vehicle in CCH and fly out from the South Island?

On our first driving holiday to NZ we made the rookie error of planning to travel too far each day - made for an exhausting week driving one way between CCH and AUK.

When we plan these days we double the time Google Maps suggests for a drive (or halve the distance).

Have you considered not looping back to AUK in your vehicle but drop the vehicle in CCH and fly out from the South Island?

Two great pieces of advice.

Is there anything in particular you want to see? What type of tourist are you - e.g. scenic beauty / adventure / cultural???

Because your itinerary is a bit unusual - Otrohonga for example is close to Raglan (a famous surf beach) and the Waitomo (glow worm) caves, but not really a place I would expect to stay overnight. I would push on the extra half hour to get to Hamilton.

You also are crossing the country a bit, Otrohonga to Paiheia is one coast to another and through Auckland. Maybe overnight in Whangarei to break the trip up but on the top side of the journey.

Picton doesn't have much in it, but just 20 min down the road is Blenheim which is a much bigger town and has more than just ferry passengers.

If you are after areas of natural beauty then Nelson / Tasman certainly ranks up there and you could do a loop around the top of the South Island - catching the early ferry (or even the mid morning one) would get you to Kaiteriteri mid to late afternoon. You could spend two nights there and then head down to the west coast (Greymouth). You would be there early afternoon.

I would then head across to Kaikoura and back to Picton. Unless you want to deviate down to the glaciers / Milson Sound. Certainly the bottom of the South Island is very different to the rest!

If you want to hit the tourist hot spots that are stunning then I would go to

Bay of Islands (Paihia) - go to the treaty of Waitangi grounds to get a real flavour of the Maori culture and history of NZ.

Taupo - our big lake! and just an hour away from Rotorua - if you get past the smell it is an adventure hotspot and full of maori culture. Often much cheaper to stay here than Taupo and a really nice road between them.

Wellington - make sure you go to the weta cave, tour parliament and do the obligatory stop at Te Papa.

To be honest I live near hear and apart from the above and using it as a ferry transition point I wouldn't plan on spending much time here.

Nelson / Tasman - it is stunning here!

West Coast - lots of rain so very green, lush and beautiful. Worth the stop but not very populated. Your plan has you staying 6 nights here which is a lot really - I would halve it and go to Nelson instead!

You haven't included the Hawkes Bay which is also really lovely but you have to pick what will be best for you. This is a lovely country and the hubby and I have driven most of it. Just relax and go were the mood strikes you. Not sure if you how you will do this (driving / motels or campervan) but you will find that you won't need to book unless you are travelling at peak time (January or around a public holiday). Even the ferry can be booked on the day....

All the best for your trip, I know the planning is half the fun!

I cannot reply individually to everyone, but thank everyone for their fantastic advice!!

We are definitely into scenic beauty (and golf). To leave the car and fly down to the South Island (or reverse) is something I will consider also.

I also will look into all the tips regarding stop overs.

Lots to chew over now and thank you again.

We are off to the Far East on Thursday so all planning for New Zealand is coming to a hold for a few weeks. :D

I cannot reply individually to everyone, but thank everyone for their fantastic advice!!

We are definitely into scenic beauty (and golf). To leave the car and fly down to the South Island (or reverse) is something I will consider also.

I also will look into all the tips regarding stop overs.

Lots to chew over now and thank you again.

We are off to the Far East on Thursday so all planning for New Zealand is coming to a hold for a few weeks. :D

Enjoy your far east trip.:D

we did a one way cruise from Australia to new Zealand....hired a car from Auckland travelled to waitomo (glow worm caves....worth visiting) stayed overnight travelled to rotoura stayed 2 days traveled to lake taupo stayed overnight travelled to mt.tongario to see volcano (only disappointment weather was lously and foggy couldn't see the volcano) overnight stay then travelled to wellington for 2 days then caught flight home brisbane