Koningsdam out of drydock

Alphen

I am curious, with some of the new big ships the balconies are

so small it looks like you can hit your knees of the rails, is the

new ship the same? Hope not.

Good question. We were docked next to the Regal Princess in Tallin 2 summers ago. All of the chairs on what appeared to be the standard balconies-and there were a lot- could not be faced outward due to the narrow depth of the balcony. I was shocked. :eek:

I am curious, with some of the new big ships the balconies are

so small it looks like you can hit your knees of the rails, is the

new ship the same? Hope not.

No one knows definitely yet, but it appears they are normal sized balcony ahd not the tiny new ones Princess has.

The good stuff:

Il passaggio sotto la bandiera della Holland America Line (attualmente la nave batte bandiera della Fincantieri) è previsto alla fine di marzo.

Fino ad allora, dopo i numerosi test che si svolgeranno in Adriatico per diversi giorni, è previsto il ritorno allo stabilimento di Marghera per la messa a punto finale degli aspetti tecnici e l’ultimazione dell’allestimento interno (che di solito prosegue anche durante le prove in mare, per non perdere tempo prezioso).

Edited by OlsSalt

Thanks for posting article and pic:)

Here's Google translation for quick English read

With its 296 meters of length and a gross tonnage of 99,500 tons it is certainly not gone unnoticed to thousands of Trieste passing on the highway. For several days the dry dock of the Arsenal San Marco it hosts the "Koningsdam", released last jewel from Fincantieri's Marghera shipyard and next flagship of the Holland Ameriaca Line, historic Dutch company (was founded over 140 years ago), which decades is part of Carnival, the cruise giant world and the main "customer" of Fincantieri. "Koningsdam" came into the basin a few days ago, from Marghera, to carry out all those operations - beginning with the cleaning and repainting of the hull - that precede the contract proofs offshore towards the restitution to the owner.

The passage under the banner of the Holland America Line (now the ship is flying the flag of Fincantieri) is expected in late March. Until then, after extensive testing that will take place in the Adriatic Sea for several days, is expected to return to Marghera shipyard for the finalization of the technical aspects and the completion of the interior (which usually continues during the sea ​​trials, not to lose precious time).

"Koningsdam" - whose name was chosen in homage to Willem Alexander, King of Holland - is the first unit of a new class of Holland America Line (Pinnacle Class) and is also the largest ship ever built by the company Dutch (2,650 passengers, a thousand crew members, 12 bridges), with a line of completely innovative. "Koningsdam" is also the first unit of the Hal with this name, interrupting something of a tradition that has seen the cruise ships of Holland America Line carry the names of the company's previous passenger ships engaged in scheduled services before the boom air transport.

The work programs of the new flagship Hal are obviously already defined. The inaugural cruise will depart from Civitavecchia on May 9,

and with different stages in the Mediterranean and in the Atlantic it will reach Rotterdam (where there will be the "baptism" Journal) and then Amsterdam. The summer cruises will range across North Europe, while in the winter 2016-spring 2017, the "Koningsdam" will operate in the Caribbean.

Google Translate for Business:Translator ToolkitWebsite TranslatorGlobal Market Finder

Has anyone thought about the funnel? I think it a bit 'fussy'.... simple funnels usually look sweeter. How about this one? I think would be better turned around! It wouldn't function any better or worse.... but more pleasing.

Good question. We were docked next to the Regal Princess in Tallin 2 summers ago. All of the chairs on what appeared to be the standard balconies-and there were a lot- could not be faced outward due to the narrow depth of the balcony. I was shocked. :eek:

We have sailed both Regal and Royal Princess and the balconies are small. But it is a myth that you can't sit in the chairs facing outward. You can, and no, your knees won't touch the glass. We are both tall (DH is 6'6") and had no issue. A larger balcony would be nice, but the ones on the Royal/Regal are acceptable. And both ships are beautiful and have lots to offer. I would happily sail on either again.

We have sailed both Regal and Royal Princess and the balconies are small. But it is a myth that you can't sit in the chairs facing outward. You can, and no, your knees won't touch the glass. We are both tall (DH is 6'6") and had no issue. A larger balcony would be nice, but the ones on the Royal/Regal are acceptable. And both ships are beautiful and have lots to offer. I would happily sail on either again.

I've heard similar as well. That Royal/Regal balconies are definitely smaller than previous PCL ships but they are larger than the Nieuw Amsterdam deck 11 "VQ" rooms which most people in here are familiar with and which literally have chairs facing sideways

We were on the top floor of the Prinsendam where the balconies are quite shallow even though the suites are quite large. We loved it however, because we felt we were perched over the ocean but protected at the same time.

Koningsdam is currently conducting trials again, earlier today she tested high speed turns. Contract specifications are tested if they are met correctly, probably making sure that she is able to turn within specifications, with a specified maximum tilt angle at maximum turning speeds (over 23 knots!).

Kdam%20turns_zps2ia55mjj.jpg

I wish they would have built another Signature Class Ship!

Everything that has ever been added/modified/changed on the Vista class ships has been done to P&O Arcadia... I wish they would just paint the hull blue and transfer it to HAL already... Then you would get your wish (it even has the "Tamarind area" already.

Never been even an inkling of a clue that would happen but you never know :)

Koningsdam is currently conducting trials again, earlier today she tested high speed turns. Contract specifications are tested if they are met correctly, probably making sure that she is able to turn within specifications, with a specified maximum tilt angle at maximum turning speeds (over 23 knots!).

Kdam%20turns_zps2ia55mjj.jpg

thanks for sharing

Koningsdam, Trieste, Italy, 2015-01-04

Thanks for posting the images. Her sides are surprisingly choppy and she seems a bit front heavy. I'm surprised, as I thought she had very elegant lines in the rendering.

Not a very pretty ship IMO.

Perhaps she'll look better in person? She reminds me a bit of Norwegian Epic, and most folks would say that's not a very nice comparison.

Oh well, perhaps she'll look better in person.