BAD Trip Insurance Experience

Gondo Girl

In October we booked a Princess cruise from NYC to Ft. Lauderdale. We were coming from Los Angeles for our 10 day cruise and a 7 day land stay on St. Thomas.

In late October we took the Royal Princess from NYC to the Caribbean ending in a week's land stay. We left LAX anticipating a super cruise and snorkel; however, our red eye flight was cancelled as we were in line to board. That was one of the weekends where computer glitches kept planes and crews grounded. Our crew never got in from Dallas so the flight was rescheduled for 9:00AM the next morning. Really, there must be 5000 AA crew living 10 minutes from LAX. Anyway, we had to dash off to rebooking because flying the next morning would make us miss our plane. They were able to put us on an American to Chicago (an airport we always try to avoid) then connect to a flight getting us into an alternate airport LaGuardia. We would only be 2 hours later than planned. Although the agent promised our luggage would be removed from the original plane and be with us because "luggage could never fly unaccompanied, it was not on the luggage carousel when we went to claim it. We "met" every flight coming in that afternoon, and still no luggage. We filed a lost luggage claim, but discovered United was supposed to handle it because we had been put on a United flight out of Chicago. No new tickets were issued so it was complicated to file with AA luggage tags and a United boarding pass. Anyway we were one of the last to board with NO clothes to speak of and certainly too heavy for the Caribbean. I kept telling John not to worry as we had full insurance. We did get our luggage 5 days into the cruise and at our first port. The gift shop clothing isn't my usual style but I got one outfit which was too sporty for formal night and John got a couple of T-shirts with names of ports that were thousands of miles from the Caribbean. Turned out Princess gave us a "courtesy" $200 room credit because they felt sorry for us (even though we did not insure with them). That "courtesy" negated the claim we made to our HTH insurance.

I tried fighting (with the date the credit was issued and that it was simply a "room credit") but got nowhere. We paid $351 for a policy that paid us around $26.00 on a $126 claim.

We travel 4-6 times a year for 40-60 days a year. We will NEVER book with this company again.

I hope my review of the company will cost them business.

In October we booked a Princess cruise from NYC to Ft. Lauderdale. We were coming from Los Angeles for our 10 day cruise and a 7 day land stay on St. Thomas.

In late October we took the Royal Princess from NYC to the Caribbean ending in a week's land stay. We left LAX anticipating a super cruise and snorkel; however, our red eye flight was cancelled as we were in line to board. That was one of the weekends where computer glitches kept planes and crews grounded. Our crew never got in from Dallas so the flight was rescheduled for 9:00AM the next morning. Really, there must be 5000 AA crew living 10 minutes from LAX. Anyway, we had to dash off to rebooking because flying the next morning would make us miss our plane. They were able to put us on an American to Chicago (an airport we always try to avoid) then connect to a flight getting us into an alternate airport LaGuardia. We would only be 2 hours later than planned. Although the agent promised our luggage would be removed from the original plane and be with us because "luggage could never fly unaccompanied, it was not on the luggage carousel when we went to claim it. We "met" every flight coming in that afternoon, and still no luggage. We filed a lost luggage claim, but discovered United was supposed to handle it because we had been put on a United flight out of Chicago. No new tickets were issued so it was complicated to file with AA luggage tags and a United boarding pass. Anyway we were one of the last to board with NO clothes to speak of and certainly too heavy for the Caribbean. I kept telling John not to worry as we had full insurance. We did get our luggage 5 days into the cruise and at our first port. The gift shop clothing isn't my usual style but I got one outfit which was too sporty for formal night and John got a couple of T-shirts with names of ports that were thousands of miles from the Caribbean. Turned out Princess gave us a "courtesy" $200 room credit because they felt sorry for us (even though we did not insure with them). That "courtesy" negated the claim we made to our HTH insurance.

I tried fighting (with the date the credit was issued and that it was simply a "room credit") but got nowhere. We paid $351 for a policy that paid us around $26.00 on a $126 claim.

We travel 4-6 times a year for 40-60 days a year. We will NEVER book with this company again.

I hope my review of the company will cost them business.

What company did you use...sorry if I'm not understanding :confused:

Luggage flies "unaccompanied" all the time. Your story is a good example of how risky it is to not fly to your port at least a day in advance.

I am really unclear as to what you filed a claim for. You purchased some clothing from the ship gift shop, and used the OBC to pay for some of that? So, your insurance is not reimbursing for that; is that what you are saying?

What else did you file a claim for? I am not sure what other additional expenses you had.

I'm not seeing your loss either; perhaps you could explain further? I agree if your onboard costs for clothing were just $126, you do not have a valid claim. If you spent $326 then you might have a valid claim for $126. You purchased secondary payee insurance, and you received primary reimbursement from Princess. It wasn't a general 'room credit', it was issued because your luggage was delayed.

This is not directed at the OP, but for anyone else who happens to read this thread; please Read Your Policy. It is too late for the OP, who has discovered after the fact what trip insurance is and is not. It is not coverage for anything that could go wrong...it is defined, specific losses only, with specific loss limits.

I'm not seeing your loss either; perhaps you could explain further? I agree if your onboard costs for clothing were just $126, you do not have a valid claim. If you spent $326 then you might have a valid claim for $126. You purchased secondary payee insurance, and you received primary reimbursement from Princess. It wasn't a general 'room credit', it was issued because your luggage was delayed.

This is not directed at the OP, but for anyone else who happens to read this thread; please Read Your Policy. It is too late for the OP, who has discovered after the fact what trip insurance is and is not. It is not coverage for anything that could go wrong...it is defined, specific losses only, with specific loss limits.

You know, it's quite a bit like what Judge Marilyn Milian says "it only gets you back to where you were before the bad thing happened. It can't give you an bonanza (more than you lost)"

Yes, we know the dangers of flying in without spending at least one night in the port before leaving. We have taken over 30 cruises. Yet, when you can't get a better flight on a last minute cruise . . . you take that risk, but expect your insurance company to come through.

As for our claim, we made one for the clothes purchased out of necessity FIVE DAYS before our luggage was to arrive, that is IF it made it to the first port. We did not know Princess was going to give us a "courtesy" credit. We did not have insurance through them. We kindly accepted the credit, but expected it would be applied to the portfolio bill as it was, knowing that we had "lost luggage" insurance.

Yes, we read the full terms of the insurance policy. What I was emphasizing was that the Princess courtesy, labeled as it was, nullified the policy we paid for. Perhaps we should have overspent in the onboard clothing shop. We were being frugal and lost the opportunity to have the courtesy credit applied to something we would have enjoyed -- like some specialty dinners.

I wrote my experience to let others know that if a ship wants to "give" you an OBC, be aware that it may negate your primary insurance.

I'm sorry you don't see the difference of spending money in the way you wish, rather than being forced to buy a bunch of stuff that you will really never wear again.

Thank you very much. I'm done describing a situation that the rest of you would accept passively. I hope you never feel cheated by any entity. And, thank you to Princess for extending that courtesy OBC, buy we're still out $26.

It would be more helpful for you to post the "exact wording" from the claim denial. That is what would better educate us!

So if you could black out you personal info and possible post the letter maybe we can understand why and how a $200 credit from the cruise line even enters this situation.

On your final bill for instance how was the Credit Labeled? Possibly as a Gift Shop/Boutique credit? So that the Net difference of charges was $126????

Edited by JVilleGal

Yes, we know the dangers of flying in without spending at least one night in the port before leaving. We have taken over 30 cruises. Yet, when you can't get a better flight on a last minute cruise . . . you take that risk, but expect your insurance company to come through.

As for our claim, we made one for the clothes purchased out of necessity FIVE DAYS before our luggage was to arrive, that is IF it made it to the first port. We did not know Princess was going to give us a "courtesy" credit. We did not have insurance through them. We kindly accepted the credit, but expected it would be applied to the portfolio bill as it was, knowing that we had "lost luggage" insurance.

Yes, we read the full terms of the insurance policy. What I was emphasizing was that the Princess courtesy, labeled as it was, nullified the policy we paid for. Perhaps we should have overspent in the onboard clothing shop. We were being frugal and lost the opportunity to have the courtesy credit applied to something we would have enjoyed -- like some specialty dinners.

I wrote my experience to let others know that if a ship wants to "give" you an OBC, be aware that it may negate your primary insurance.

I'm sorry you don't see the difference of spending money in the way you wish, rather than being forced to buy a bunch of stuff that you will really never wear again.

Thank you very much. I'm done describing a situation that the rest of you would accept passively. I hope you never feel cheated by any entity. And, thank you to Princess for extending that courtesy OBC, buy we're still out $26.

So what you're saying is, if you hadn't received $200 from Princess you would have finished up better off?

Thanks for posting. It sounds like the insurance company treated the Princess payment the way they treat medical - they are the secondary insurer.

Fortunately you made your cruise and it sounds like you had some stuff in your carry ons (less for the "holier than thou" crowd to comment on).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

We kindly accepted the credit, but expected it would be applied to the portfolio bill as it was, knowing that we had "lost luggage" insurance.

This post is a bit confusing. People have just posted trying to understand what happened.

Not sure why you decided posters here have never been "cheated by any entity". Where were you cheated?

I personally have had an enormous insurance claim for a house, and understand trying to be "frugal", but insurance is to make you whole. If your policy allowed you to purchase the clothing you needed, you could have done that, up to the limit of your policy.

Your luggage arrived five days late. You state Princess gave you a $200 OBC because "they felt sorry for you". But, the credit was used for the purchase of some clothing from the ship's shop ($126 of things you disliked and will never wear again). I am guessing your insurance company found out about this credit, as I am sure you had to provide proof of your onboard spending to show the clothing receipts? And, the credit showed up in your account. Not clear why the insurance company would assume this credit was for clothing only, unless it was labeled in some way?

You would rather have had your insurance company reimburse you this entire amount and used the Princess credit for specialty dinners. But, your insurance company saw the $200 credit (assume you had to provide the receipt of your shipboard spending, and they saw it on there), and used this to offset their reimbursement to you, as they don't allow "double dipping".

So, at the end of the story, you are out $26.

You can always try filing an appeal with your insurance company. You don't have to accept this payment as correct. Why not contact your broker and have them help you with this?

EGG - no idea where you are coming from (holier than thou crowd?)

Edited by 6rugrats

OP has never bothered to answer a single question and their issue makes no sense at all.

I'm glad it's not just me. I'm really trying to understand the issue, but there's just too much information missing. Still suggest OP appeal with her insurance company if she feels claim wasn't processed correctly.

Thank you all for the responses.

I think dsrdsrdsrdsr got it right. "So what you're saying is, if you hadn't received $200 from Princess you would have finished up better off?" Actually, if they hadn't labeled the credit "lost luggage." That appears to be the problem.

I did appeal.

Thank you very much for helping me understand I was wrong.

Add me to the "confused" list. Perhaps the OP does have a grievance with HTH (we would have to read the details of the policy to know for sure) but this issue does not involve the cruise line (Priincess) in any way, shape or form. Princess had nothing to do with the luggage delay and no obligation to provide any kind of financial support. Taking a "shot" at Princess is really unfair as the cruise line gave you some consideration....which you could have simply refused! Having read the tale of woe we salute Princess for trying to help.

Hank----------

I'm glad it's not just me. I'm really trying to understand the issue, but there's just too much information missing. Still suggest OP appeal with her insurance company if she feels claim wasn't processed correctly.

I, too, am confused.

I think it would help if OP spoke in specific numbers.

How much did they spend in the ship's shop for clothing? Was the $200 Princess OBC applied specifically to just the clothing? Was the credit from Princess more than they spent? Did OP have a balance they had to pay on their bill at the end of the cruise?

OP, please don't be angry with us. We really are trying to understand.

I'm very sorry for the anxiety and discomfort you experienced. None of us would welcome that.

Edited by sail7seas

How exactly is the Princess credit labeled on your final billing/invoice AND what is the specific wording of the denial.

Even if this does not help the OP the information will educate others when this type of situation arises!

Please respond..

...Actually, if they hadn't labeled the credit "lost luggage." That appears to be the problem...
Your expectation was that you would be able to use this credit in addition to your insurance claim. You did not expect that this credit would offset your claimable amount. But since Princess gave you the credit specifically for lost luggage, your insurance company partially denied your claim, as it would be duplicate reimbursement.

You'll find every travel insurance company will have the same approach. If you receive something 'free' for a covered loss event, whether it is is meal vouchers, a hotel room overnight, onboard credit, etc., you cannot then claim those same expenses against an insurance policy.

You're an experienced traveler; yet you still had incorrect expectations. Thank you for posting your experience as now others may better understand how insurance works.

Thank you very much to cherylandtk. You explained my issue very clearly and politely. And thank you to sail7seas for understanding my anxiety and discomfort. In answer to jvillegirl Princess labeled the credit "lost luggage" and the insurance claim quoted that line item in their denial.

Thank you all.

At this point Gondo, your best bet is to get insuremytrip.com involved. Given the amount, this is likely a nuisance claim for the insurer. Often the company's aggravation will exceed the claim and they will pay.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

RB

Am I misreading? Isn't this all about $26?

Where is that "like" button! Yes they are mad because Princess gave them a cutesy credit, just to be nice and labeled the credit lost luggage. The insurance company saw that and sees they have been given that credit and now they are mad at the Insurance Co???? Really?

They want the Credit and the full Insurance benefit!

Edited by JVilleGal

Your expectation was that you would be able to use this credit in addition to your insurance claim. You did not expect that this credit would offset your claimable amount. But since Princess gave you the credit specifically for lost luggage, your insurance company partially denied your claim, as it would be duplicate reimbursement.

You'll find every travel insurance company will have the same approach. If you receive something 'free' for a covered loss event, whether it is is meal vouchers, a hotel room overnight, onboard credit, etc., you cannot then claim those same expenses against an insurance policy.

You're an experienced traveler; yet you still had incorrect expectations. Thank you for posting your experience as now others may better understand how insurance works.

Thank you for stating the situation so clearly.

You make it easily understood.