Do you think X is headed in the right direction?

russg140

Thought I would put this out there:

If you're a loyal Celebrity cruiser - do you think the cruise line is headed in the right direction? Are you seeing changes that make you more or less interested in cruising with Celebrity? Do you think Celebrity truly represents "Modern Luxury"?

Since Lisa Lutoff-Perlo was appointed CEO (coming from Royal Carribean) we feel that the Celebrity brand is being watered down and "Royal-ized". 10+ years ago RCCL did a very good job of rebranding the RC line as the family friendly mass market brand, Celebrity as the more upscale premium brand, and Azamara as the super premium brand. As such we switched from RC to X and were very happy.

Now it seems Celebrity is trying to appeal to more mass market cruisers. Formal nights have been replaced with "Evening Chic" (whatever that means). Perks formerly only available to the highest category of suites are now offered to all suites so that there is little justification for paying for a higher end suite with no additional benefits.

The 1-2-3-GO! program was so successful it was replaced with the BIG BETTER BEST promotion and now you book a cruise and start wheeling and dealing for perks. That type of marketing is going to appeal to a much more value driven cruiser that has typically sailed with Celebrity, which will change the atmosphere on a Celebrity ship.

Celebrity is in serious danger of driving loyal cruisers like us to other lines. It will be interesting to see how the new "Edge" ships are designed. If they include rock climbing walls and flowriders we will be "abandoning ship".

Our first X cruise was in a CS with only a butler as a suite perk! Our second was in an M class PH when the only perks were a butler and two bottles of spirits!

We think, in fact we know, the suite experience has seriously improved!

For a while we took several RC cruises as well as X because we did enjoy some of the suite perks they offered, especially the conceirge lounge.

I think people are used to expecting more for their money AI resorts, hotels with included 'club' cocktail hours....

I think X is trying to keep up with trends like this, offering a more inclusive option if you want one.

On our last couple of cruises we have seen the number of younger cruisers increasing, could be the itineraries we chose but I think the marketing of bars like the Martini Bar are appealing to the twenty/thirty something market who have outgrown the RC experience themselves. They are looking for a calm, relaxing and 'chic' environment in which to spend their hard earned salaries. In contrast we have not seen that many family groups...

The world is changing, we all expect improvement and change but then we don't like change if it is something we particularly like! For example, much as I know the X speciality menus very well and would like to see some new items I would hate them to remove my favourites!

I have no intentions of abandoning ship now or in the near future! No ship or cruise line is perfect but X seems to offer the experience we are seeking at present.

Edited by chemmo

Believe they are doing what all other major cruise lines are doing...trying to control costs and increase profitability. On our recent Reflection October European cruise we thought the food was very good in the MDR and did not notice any drop in quality from several years ago. We do think the constant increases in the specialty dining prices are out of hand and we found our visit to the Tuscan and The Porch were not worth half the price they charged.

We LOVE the inclusion of the drink package even though we are not big drinkers. That is one of the main reasons we have chosen X for our last 4 cruises. We don't do a lot of the "games" and trivia stuff so the cutbacks in activity staff were not noted by us. Thought entertainment was hit or miss but there did not seem to be a big cutback there. We are going on Holland America in February and will be interested to compare as it has been 6 years since we sailed HAL.

Edited by blueboro

Right now IMO Celebrity is trying to figure out where it and the cruise industry is heading.

The top end companies with small ships and $500+ a day is not really where any of the mass market companies can head. This niche is steady and lucrative, however.

Celebrity I think would like to be somewhere in between and differentiate itself from the other mass market companies. It simply does not appear to know how and is there a way to do that and make money? Nobody else has figured it out either.

The problem today vis a vis the ugly comments on Cruise Critic is the mass market companies cutting the little things. A chocolate here, a bowl of soup there in an effort to keep a lid on prices. While they enjoy lower oil prices now all the other expenses like food, staff and supplies have gone up in price about double in the 15 years I have been sailing. This despite the cost of a cabin has stayed virtually the same in most situations. Too many ships has made even the explosion in people cruising cause cabin prices to be stagnant.

Interesting that we all want the service and stuff to be exactly what it was 15 years ago, cabins to cost the same $$ amount, and do not realize that is impossible.

Thought I would put this out there:

If you're a loyal Celebrity cruiser - do you think the cruise line is headed in the right direction? Are you seeing changes that make you more or less interested in cruising with Celebrity? Do you think Celebrity truly represents "Modern Luxury"?

Yes

Since Lisa Lutoff-Perlo was appointed CEO (coming from Royal Carribean) we feel that the Celebrity brand is being watered down and "Royal-ized". 10+ years ago RCCL did a very good job of rebranding the RC line as the family friendly mass market brand, Celebrity as the more upscale premium brand, and Azamara as the super premium brand. As such we switched from RC to X and were very happy.

We did not find it watered down at all over Thanksgiving

Now it seems Celebrity is trying to appeal to more mass market cruisers. Formal nights have been replaced with "Evening Chic" (whatever that means). Perks formerly only available to the highest category of suites are now offered to all suites so that there is little justification for paying for a higher end suite with no additional benefits.

Our 1st with X was in 1994, and the wifester said this last one was the best yet! We feel they are still chaseing us.

The 1-2-3-GO! program was so successful it was replaced with the BIG BETTER BEST promotion and now you book a cruise and start wheeling and dealing for perks. That type of marketing is going to appeal to a much more value driven cruiser that has typically sailed with Celebrity, which will change the atmosphere on a Celebrity ship.

We have always been 'value driven' The atmosphere the last 3 cruises has been fantastic!

Celebrity is in serious danger of driving loyal cruisers like us to other lines. It will be interesting to see how the new "Edge" ships are designed. If they include rock climbing walls and flowriders we will be "abandoning ship".

There is no pre mention of anything like what is on a Royal ship being added to the Edge class. But I guess it makes nice fodder for a post.:rolleyes:

We sailed RCCL in 2011, then Princess in 2012, and 2013/14/15 on Celebrity, which is in no danger of 'driving' us back to another line with the on ship product we were given.

final answer is: yes and no, depending on what class you book.

I think the focus on improving suites and justifying the extra cost is good...both for those that book suites and Celebrity's bottom line. My sense is that much of the positive comments on CC in recent weeks/months have been from suite cruisers or pertaining to suite benefits. I don't mind the increases in price for drinks, specialty restaurants...if they work..if demand is inelastic and profit increases, great for Celebrity.

But the no is the complete lack of focus on the non suite passengers and the captain's club/loyal passengers...where I think they are on a slippery slope....too many cutbacks, too little communications, apparent lack of focus on differentiating concierge/aqua....essentially no focus on these folks....just treat them like a number and if they don't like it, we'll find others. That only works for so long...

Clearly there is an ongoing problem with IT that they may or may not have just addressed by hiring a consultant. I think their new advertising is bonkers..but I've only seen one ad.

We are not suite guests...we are either aqua or 1A guests....so for us, they are going in the wrong direction....enough so that we now are booked on other cruise lines, something we probably wouldn't have done had they not reduced so much...it's not the water, it's not the flower, it's not the fresh orange juice, it's not ..... but it's the sum total of all the little things. If you take the leaves off a tree, one at a time...each one is a small thing...but when you take off too many, the tree gets sick or dies. I think Celebrity is on that path...the slippery slope....and I think that management is so focused on the bottom line today that they have lost site of the tree that needs to live beyond their tenure.

Edited by ghstudio

While I am sure the suite experience is vastly improved, this does not impress me since I am very unlikely to ever enjoy a suite. The inclusion of drink packages is not appealing either - we are Elite + and find that the evening happy hour offerings are enough for us if we purchase wine with dinner when required. I would prefer a basic price and pay as I go for what is important to me.

However, I doubt if Celebrity is trying to impress me. What they need are new young cruisers who will spend money on board and begin a pattern of spending their vacation dollars on cruises. I suspect that they are becoming quite successful in this department, while pricing me, and cruisers like me, out of the market.

We are looking at all inclusive resorts for our winter trip this year, instead of a cruise and after the Celebrity cruise we have booked in September we will be looking closely at options before booking again.

Sheila

RC and X, cannot speak for Azamara, they are light years apart. RC depends, on activities/entreatment on newer and larger ships, people happy and cruising, cost a LOT of MONEY. X seems spend more on service.

Modern Luxury is a older term, but still applies well, with the Modern Chic dress codes rather than the older Formal Night which appeals to younger MODERN DRESSING ADULTS who X wants to reach out to, not all younger/non retired people want entertainment/activities, some just want a relaxing cruise.

YES, things have changes, in food and service and activities on both lines, and many LOYAL CRUISERS from X and RC can easily see the changes. I do not necessarily call the changes a negative thing.

The idea of a business to have a profit, running a ship, just the maintenance cost is staggering, so keeping the price that many are willing to pay is important, if reducing food quality and service helps and does not hinder the over all quality of the cruise, every one is happy.

If you want a better "true" cruise experience and can a afford UP SCALE line do it.

If I win Power Ball tomorrow I will try the up scale lines and let you know if they are better LOL

The idea of a business to have a profit, running a ship, just the maintenance cost is staggering, so keeping the price that many are willing to pay is important, if reducing food quality and service helps and does not hinder the over all quality of the cruise, every one is happy.

The above quote makes no sense to me, with all due respect. How can reducing the food quality and service NOT hinder the overall quality of the cruise? If you have bad food and service, how can anyone say it's a quality product? I'm not saying that X has bad quality food/service, but you really cannot say that reducing the quality of food/service doesn't hinder the quality of the cruise.

We have more than 35 cruises on Celebrity, nearly all of them in either RS or PH, and for the first time in many years, we are abandoning Celebrity and taking our cruise dollars elsewhere. While newbies will definitely not notice all the problems with Celebrity and their product because they won't know any better, we veterans know that the quality of the product has been watered down to the point that faithful, veteran cruisers are leaving for other cruise lines. We're taking our dollars to Oceania and Crystal, and will have no regrets. It makes me sad that Ms Lutoff-Perlo is dismantling a cruise line that we loved for so many years, but in their quest for profit, which isn't a bad thing, and their obvious dislike for cruisers over a certain age, makes this choice to leave Celebrity a very easy one. Like ghstudio says, it's not just one thing, but all the little things that are being taken away or totally changed that greatly impact the quality of Celebrity's product, and that product is no longer a good quality in our opinion. Celebrity is becoming just another Royal Caribbean or Carnival.

ghstudio, I'm loving all your posts. You make so much sense and Celebrity would be smart to take a look at the things you're saying.

I don't understand the concept of loyalty to a vacation brand or activity or cruise line.

We have cruised with Celebrity since 2006. Our first cruise was with Princess in 1997. We have also cruised with HAL, though not since 1984. In addition to cruise vacations we have taken a significant number of land vacations in the Caribbean, Mexico and Hawaii. We have enjoyed our cruise vacations with Celebrity, as we have enjoyed every vacation we have ever taken. There have been bumps, but experience has shown us that setting realistic expectations at the outset works for us. Celebrity today is not the Celebrity of 2006. Maui today is not the Maui of 1982 we first visited. That is reality.

The question we ask ourselves is, are we comfortable with our Celebrity vacation, and so far the answer is yes. That is not to say everything is perfect, far from it. After most cruises we have provided written feedback, and it has usually been acknowledged, albeit few of our suggestions have been implemented. Some of the changes are IMO just goofy, but it is the overall product we consider, the sum of the parts.

I don't think Celebrity has lost their way at all. Celebrity has shown by the changes they have made, and continue to make, they are focused on the future customer. This naturally upsets those who feel they are owed more than the Captains Club perks because of their perception of loyalty. This is not Celebrities problem, in my opinion, but rather the problem of those who have decided that Celebrity must only provide the product they want. Their product is simply more for less, a model no business can sustain. If Celebrity doesn't change, return to RCCL the ROI the shareholders want, grow their business, attract new customers and develop new markets, they will cease to exist. Competition isn't standing still, and Celebrity can't be the product it was 20 years ago. Many here seem to think Celebrity has to remain the cruise line they were 20 years ago, charge 20 year old prices and provide the latest in ships, amenities, and benefits. Their expectations are not even close to reality, and hence their angst. That 20 year old product is available on the luxury lines but not at 20 year old prices.

Regardless of what you or I as individuals want the product will continue to evolve. As with every vacation option we will either accept it or move on to the next adventure.

It was us looking for change that brought us to our first cruise, and if we tire of cruising, or Celebrity, there are so many other options, we just don't have the resources to explore them all.

We are have cruised for the past 15 years and are Elite with Celebrity. Cruising is much cheaper than when we started but there has been a definite decline in food, free activities, and the WOW factor. We miss the days of oohing and aahing over the midnight buffet displays and the fun Caribbean night on the top deck. We miss seeing everyone all decked out in their finest for an elegant evening. We are saddened to see the cutbacks in staff and the ever increasing workload imposed on the room stewards and waiters. Free activities are now mostly limited to various trivia games or never ending sales pitches. The website problems are definitely going further in the wrong direction!

Celebrity is moving in a direction that I like, for the most part. Although we will miss the dedicated formal nights, we will still dress in formal wear until the day we feel out of place. Most young people I know (the men anyways) are not interested in dressing up. The chic nights seem to be the best compromise - you can still dress up if you like, but it's not mandatory. Everyone should be happy with that, although I know many are not.

The 1-2-3, BBB and Pick your Perk promotions are appealing to me because I enjoy having a drink package but would never get my money's worth purchasing one outright. Although I realize I'm paying for it one way or another, I know I relax more about my onboard choices when I have a package.

Although I previously never considered booking suites, we booked a Royal Suite for our anniversary this year and were blown away by the experience. We loved Luminae and have booked another suite just so we can dine there again. Although we will probably stick with verandahs for most cruises, the new suite perks have made us much more likely to book a suite.

I keep expecting that, at some point, I will cease to be enchanted with my Celebrity cruises, but so far, it hasn't happened. A few times now we've tried something else, but we always come back to Celebrity where we're comfortable, our expectations our met, and we know the service will be outstanding. The only other line we've tried that we enjoyed was Azamara, and for their prices for a verandah (with the dreaded shower curtain) we can sail in a suite with Celebrity. Azamara's itineraries are good and I'd consider them if they had an itinerary I wanted that Celebrity didn't offer, but for the Caribbean, where I don't care about the ports and just want a week away from the snow, I'd rather enjoy Celebrity's larger ships and nicer cabins.

We've been sailing with Celebrity since 2001, and of course, there have been changes, not all positive. There are not as many activities, and there are certainly more revenue-generating options on board. However, I can avoid the sales pitches easily enough, and a good book and a few shows are enough entertainment for me. If they fixed the website, I wouldn't have much to complain about.

From a business standpoint, I think Celebrity is probably doing pretty well in attracting new cruisers, who are apt to spend more money than a "loyal" cruiser who books the cheapest cabin they can get at the cheapest time of year, and is not enticed by most onboard spending initiatives. New cruisers are much more lucrative, I'm sure. Judging by the current stock prices, I have to assume RCL is doing something right.

When I read the long list of complaints posted on this board, I can't help but think that people need to perhaps try something different to see if the grass really is greener elsewhere. For us so far, it hasn't been. We've got four Celebrity cruises booked, and I'm eagerly awaiting them. When the new Edge class is released for booking, I'm pretty sure we'll be adding another to our list.

Objection. Leading the witness.

Would you really have asked this question if you thought the answer was yes?

I say yes, Celebrity is heading in the right direction. They are definitely introducing things that make me more interested in the brand. I tried Aqua class after they introduced Blu. Loved it. I had a Sky Suite after they introduced Luminae. Loved it even more.

I look forward to sailing with Celebrity for many, many years.

I am thrilled to get rid of formal night. Frankly, I see no reason to haul formal clothes to the Caribbean. I don't understand how my choice of attire effects those around me as long as I'm clean, covered and reasonably dressed. We don't wear holey pants or shorts in the MDR, and feel a sun dress and slacks with nice shirt is just fine.

I chose Celebrity because they have THE MOST RESTRICTIVE SMOKING RULES of any cruise line. I don't want to be around smoke.

I am unlikely to pay for a suite. I usually pick a 2C just behind the hump or a C2 if there is a good deal (like the 123All-In). I'm less concerned with the organized activities than a quiet place without screeching kids to let me lay in the sun and read my book while being able to summon a drink.

I have two young adult children, both with serious SOs. We cruised the week of NYE and we all had a great time. We didn't worry about most of the entertainment on the ship - we made our own fun.

We like the beverage packages, as we tend to hit the bottled water hard and the tea in the buffet is poor quality. The tea in the Café is a much better fit. The young adults all drink the fancy coffee drinks. Add in a couple of glasses of wine and I've gotten my $$ worth. We booked OV for the next large family cruise to get the beverage packages for all. The difference in cost between an inside and OV was about $200 per person, which is under the cost of the beverage package. We don't spend a lot of time in the room.

If you are not happy, I wish you luck in finding a line that will provide what you desire. Celebrity is giving me what I want.

I wonder if passengers from back in the Grand Era of cruising were to transport to present day they would be shocked, shocked to discover how far the cruise industry has gone downhill because of their adding new features and trying to expand its customer base.

You know, vile things like balconies, air conditioning, stabilizers, hair dryers, showers &/or bathtubs in every cabin, phones, pizza, buffets, ADA access, workout facilities, spas, televisions, smoke-free areas, specialty restaurants...

How ghastly!

Objection. Leading the witness.

Would you really have asked this question if you thought the answer was yes?

I say yes, Celebrity is heading in the right direction. They are definitely introducing things that make me more interested in the brand. I tried Aqua class after they introduced Blu. Loved it. I had a Sky Suite after they introduced Luminae. Loved it even more.

I look forward to sailing with Celebrity for many, many years.

I agree to some point. I liked AQ when it was introduced and still like it but like it less when I have to pay more for getting less. I see paying more for getting more...

I guess they'd rather my wife and I head to Vegas than book a cruise?

CLAIM YOUR CAPTAIN'S

CLUB BENEFITS AT SELECT

MGM RESORTS DESTINATIONS.

TODAY'S EMAIL FROM CELEBRITY......" Enjoy your exclusive offer:

Up to 20% off regular room rates and up to $200 Resort Credit

at MGM Resorts' portfolio of M life destinations."

We like going on cruises, not spending our time and money in Vegas, do something to benefit us...

I am not sure if this is the direction for a cruise line to be headed. I may be wrong but it just doesn't seem right. What next CLAIM YOUR CAPTAIN'S CLUB BENEFITS AT SANDALS.????

OMO

bosco

Edited by boscobeans

I wonder if passengers from back in the Grand Era of cruising were to transport to present day they would be shocked, shocked to discover how far the cruise industry has gone downhill because of their adding new features and trying to expand its customer base.

You know, vile things like balconies, air conditioning, stabilizers, hair dryers, showers &/or bathtubs in every cabin, phones, pizza, buffets, ADA access, workout facilities, spas, televisions, smoke-free areas, specialty restaurants...

How ghastly!

This could be said about any industry, auto, electronics, etc. The complaints aren't what they added they are what they cheapened up on disregarded altogether.

Just because some people are ok with it doesn't mean everyone else is.

This could be said about any industry, auto, electronics, etc. The complaints aren't what they added they are what they cheapened up on disregarded altogether.

not fully true...I detest auto stop/start on my new car almost as much as I dislike the lane change warning vibration in my steering wheel.

Celebrity is our cruise line of choice now. We will be doing our 3rd X cruise this year and our 4th to Alaska next year.

The service is wonderful and the food mainly excellent. We book a balcony cabin and would never be able to afford a suite. We like the drinks package, the proper coffees, teas, bottled water, wine with dinner and some spirits in the evening. We enjoy the entertainment in the theatre but only go when we think it will be to our taste. Other than that we are happy to be left in peace to read, take in a talk or whatever. We love a dance to the dance band. We do spend a fair amount when on the ship. We always upgrade to the premium drinks package, use the speciality restaurants, book excursions, buy the wifi etc. We like the opportunity of purchasing extras if we want them. We are very happy about the evening chic change. We are in our 60's, not 20's or 30's. As far as I am concerned Celebrity are getting it right for us and seem to be getting it right for their high end customers too. I guess you would say we are the mass market cruisers that people are referring to. For us, Celebrity provide excellent value for money compared to other mass market lines who charge more and deliver less.

And the other side of the coin is that just because some people are not O.K. with it, doesn't mean no one is.

Given that Celebrity is able to increase pricing, sail with full ships and have a hefty book of pre sold cruises suggests that indeed many are just fine with the changes.

Edited by WpgCruise

Celebrity is our cruise line of choice now. We will be doing our 3rd X cruise this year and our 4th to Alaska next year.

The service is wonderful and the food mainly excellent. We book a balcony cabin and would never be able to afford a suite. We like the drinks package, the proper coffees, teas, bottled water, wine with dinner and some spirits in the evening. We enjoy the entertainment in the theatre but only go when we think it will be to our taste. Other than that we are happy to be left in peace to read, take in a talk or whatever. We love a dance to the dance band. We do spend a fair amount when on the ship. We always upgrade to the premium drinks package, use the speciality restaurants, book excursions, buy the wifi etc. We like the opportunity of purchasing extras if we want them. We are very happy about the evening chic change. We are in our 60's, not 20's or 30's. As far as I am concerned Celebrity are getting it right for us and seem to be getting it right for their high end customers too. I guess you would say we are the mass market cruisers that people are referring to. For us, Celebrity provide excellent value for money compared to other mass market lines who charge more and deliver less.

Greetings from below the border!

I think you really have the right attitude.....You know what is important for you, what is less important and you have found a match! We are a similar age to you and find if we want 'lively' on an X cruise we can find it but equally we can find peace and calm....Like you, at present Celebrity matches what we are looking for.

We used to love RC and then we outgrew it....it didn't change, we did. In years to come we may 'outgrow' X.

Perhaps many who are unhappy with X at the moment have simply cruised Celebrity enough and are simply ready to move on to their next cruise experience.....