Do you think X is headed in the right direction?

russg140

I wonder if passengers from back in the Grand Era of cruising were to transport to present day they would be shocked, shocked to discover how far the cruise industry has gone downhill because of their adding new features and trying to expand its customer base.

You know, vile things like balconies, air conditioning, stabilizers, hair dryers, showers &/or bathtubs in every cabin, phones, pizza, buffets, ADA access, workout facilities, spas, televisions, smoke-free areas, specialty restaurants...

How ghastly!

I thought you were going to say lifeboats for everyone! lol

Seriously, many have given great comments here on this thread.

Way back in the olden days of 2011 when I began with Celebrity on cruise critic I read so many negative comments about the food going downhill and no longer getting the price protection after final payment that used to exist.

Having never had some of those experiences I don't miss it, how could I?

I feel some cruisers and cruise companies are okay with the homogenization across the lines. If one ship is the same as another, why leave or why not leave?

If any of you had experienced the new 'we do not want to say no to you' when it was poorly executed you would surely miss the intuitive service. I do think letting this slip is an issue and I hope it is once again across the fleet.

I think my concern is where X gives up its hard earned position in the cruise community by loosing sight of the value of not smelling like smoke, as in our recent trip. Or the clean cuisine and Aq unique position. I think a spa class and excellent clean cuisine can still be a winner if it isn't killed off by lesser quality.

I feel this is happening to Bistro. They try this or that but the execution is lame so much I expect they are letting it die.

I just hope before they retire some of what many of us loved they well consider it. They have made some brave choices before that turned out well. We will see.

I would love to see an analysis of the price protection vs the wild variations people now pay on board.

The above quote makes no sense to me, with all due respect. How can reducing the food quality and service NOT hinder the overall quality of the cruise? If you have bad food and service, how can anyone say it's a quality product? I'm not saying that X has bad quality food/service, but you really cannot say that reducing the quality of food/service doesn't hinder the quality of the cruise.

We have more than 35 cruises on Celebrity, nearly all of them in either RS or PH, and for the first time in many years, we are abandoning Celebrity and taking our cruise dollars elsewhere. While newbies will definitely not notice all the problems with Celebrity and their product because they won't know any better, we veterans know that the quality of the product has been watered down to the point that faithful, veteran cruisers are leaving for other cruise lines. We're taking our dollars to Oceania and Crystal, and will have no regrets. It makes me sad that Ms Lutoff-Perlo is dismantling a cruise line that we loved for so many years, but in their quest for profit, which isn't a bad thing, and their obvious dislike for cruisers over a certain age, makes this choice to leave Celebrity a very easy one. Like ghstudio says, it's not just one thing, but all the little things that are being taken away or totally changed that greatly impact the quality of Celebrity's product, and that product is no longer a good quality in our opinion. Celebrity is becoming just another Royal Caribbean or Carnival.

ghstudio, I'm loving all your posts. You make so much sense and Celebrity would be smart to take a look at the things you're saying.

I have two words for you: Viking Oceans.

We are regular balcony people, and in pricing out a milestone trip, looked at a suite on Celebrity or a standard balcony on a nicer line (same size as Sky Suite)- and they priced out basically the same. There aren't any tiers, or suite perks- the entire ship is accessed by everyone (and the bottom line price point is much higher, of course). Tips, alcohol, airfare are included- so not much nickel/dime-ing at all.

I think we hit the jackpot on Viking Oceans but I'll come back and let you know!

Edited by micmacmissy

Greetings Chemmo from a very cold North of the border :D

You are right, of course. Our needs and expectations change and until such times as Celebrity fail to meet ours we will continue to enjoy the overall wonderful experience they provide.

Edited by Little Nell

We have no desire to spend the money for a suite ..... if we were willing to part with that kind of money, I don't think Celebrity would be my choice - probably one of the new Oceania ships (Azamara cabins are small for the price you pay, but the rest of the ship and food is good). We did Oceania and Azamara in the past, but again, their prices are usually way above the X experience that suits us fine. We have sailed X quite a few times over the years in verandahs and find that for the most part, the value remains. Food quality is quite good - I do think the specialty restaurants are priced way too high at this point (unless you have OBC) but again, we are happy in the MDR.

What has really begun to totally tick me off is the pricing game and the prices in general. Some cruises are still pretty reasonable but it is a bit baffling why some of the same length can be sooo much higher per person. And I do not want to be monitoring all the time the ever changing perks + prices. i know many complain about the call center but can you imagine trying to keep track of all those ever-changing promotions!

The above quote makes no sense to me, with all due respect. How can reducing the food quality and service NOT hinder the overall quality of the cruise? If you have bad food and service, how can anyone say it's a quality product? I'm not saying that X has bad quality food/service, but you really cannot say that reducing the quality of food/service doesn't hinder the quality of the cruise.

We have more than 35 cruises on Celebrity, nearly all of them in either RS or PH, and for the first time in many years, we are abandoning Celebrity and taking our cruise dollars elsewhere. While newbies will definitely not notice all the problems with Celebrity and their product because they won't know any better, we veterans know that the quality of the product has been watered down to the point that faithful, veteran cruisers are leaving for other cruise lines. We're taking our dollars to Oceania and Crystal, and will have no regrets. It makes me sad that Ms Lutoff-Perlo is dismantling a cruise line that we loved for so many years, but in their quest for profit, which isn't a bad thing, and their obvious dislike for cruisers over a certain age, makes this choice to leave Celebrity a very easy one. Like ghstudio says, it's not just one thing, but all the little things that are being taken away or totally changed that greatly impact the quality of Celebrity's product, and that product is no longer a good quality in our opinion. Celebrity is becoming just another Royal Caribbean or Carnival.

ghstudio, I'm loving all your posts. You make so much sense and Celebrity would be smart to take a look at the things you're saying.

Interesting did I ever mention bad? Just like paint from Sears, good paint that was lowered in quality until people caught on and quite buying it, Same for cruise lines they will, more than likely, lower the quality until people quit cruising with them, and that will take years.

Yes, I think Celebrity are headed in the right direction. I cruise for itinerary in the main, and I also like to try new ships.

The food and service received on my Celebrity cruises has been very good to excellent, and is better than the other lines I have tried. I love the drink packages, elite perks, the ships, the speciality restaurants, the cafe, the trivia. My husband loves to wear a tux and was one of the few wearing a tux on our NYE cruise, he didn't care that it was no longer formal night. However on our upcoming Mediterranean cruises it will be a blessing not to have to pack a lot of formal gear given we are travelling and touring extensively in Europe.

I like the general 'vibe' on Celebrity. The staff, from the cleaners to the officers, all smile and seem happy to be there.

Cheers

Rosie

You are right, of course. Our needs and expectations change and until such times as Celebrity fail to meet ours we will continue to enjoy the overall wonderful experience they provide.

Well at least the British know what we want and expect from X!!

Enjoy your next cruise and thanks again for your words of wisdom!

Well at least the British know what we want and expect from X!!

Enjoy your next cruise and thanks again for your words of wisdom!

Reading the thread, there are a few of us on this side of the pond that are in the same row boat as ya'll!

EW

DW and I have been cruising Celebrity since 2001. Have things changed, yes. I look at it this way, many of us "loyal Celebrity Cruisers" are of a certain demographic. Our numbers are only decreasing. Celebrity must change to grab the next generation. My parents disliked my music and I dislike my childrens' music. Each generation has their own tastes and I think Celebrity is just trying to cater to the tastes of the generation(s) after mine. Even my twenty something marketing daughter says that Celebrity is certainly trying to interest younger people and families. I also don't think they want to compete with lines that are the next step up. Bottom line, we should all make our choices based on what we enjoy. We still enjoy our Celebrity experience very much. Even with the changes I find the on board staff to be incredible. They get it. Our experiences may change in the future and if they change in a negative direction we will move on. In the mean time I am counting the days until our next cruise in April. Good luck to all you power ball players! I hate to tell you all but I have the winning numbers :)

We have been on celebrity and are booked again on celebrity. It is not Seabourn, Regent, or even Oceania, but we know what to expect and base our travel on dates and itineraries.

The change in dress code made no difference. those of us who dress up will still do so. the people in jeans and t shirts wore them anyway.

They play games with the wine and even water selections, saying it's not available in one area when I just had it in another. They changed Tuscan Grill, and I won't be going back. Took the veal chop and fruit fondue off the menu, made the antipasto something you have to order, and raised the price. We prefer the food and service in Blu for no additional charge.

The staff in non confrontational and does not enforce rules. Saved lounge chairs, smoking areas on deck, equipment use in the gym, was not handled well,but, after insisting on talking to hotel and restaurant manager and guest relations, things improved.

There are those of use with respect, decorum, a sense of fun, and appropriateness on every cruise. there are those with no respect, a sense of entitlement, and rudeness on every cruise.

It all depends on where and when you want to go

People have also changed.

Those of us who have been sailing Celebrity (and others) for more than ten years are no longer in the same demographic group we once were.

I think Celebrity may still be looking for those in their late 40's - 50's with disposable income. That's what some of us were 10-20 years ago (and in my case a bit longer, but that's another story :D). The difference is that group now has different tastes. Celebrity is trying to walk a fine line to keep attracting a new audience while minimizing the loss of their older one.

Much of the commentary lately shows that they are doing a poor job, but it will take time and detailed analysis to see if the overall impact is positive or negative for the bottom line. And let's get real, that's the driving factor. Quality, service, loyalty are all buzz words that talk about the overall perception. Smart companies balance their focus on perception vs. reality vs. profits. There will always be some folks who like the results and some who don't.

Passengers also have a bottom line and should spend their money in the way that does the most for them. Just like companies make their decision for what is in their best interest (profits).

I think they are beginning to lose loyal Elite Plus cruisers like us because they seem to be more focused on the Millennial crowd.... We have recently been cruising with Viking and love that line!! They do not engage with too much hype!!! They truly focus on the cruise experience. No bombarding you with heavy sales pitches for specialty dining venues/beverage packages. Just my personal opinion...

I have two words for you: Viking Oceans.

...There aren't any tiers, or suite perks...

Not quite what I see on Viking Oceans website: {but still wishing you a great cruise!}

Explorer Suite

• 11:00 a.m. priority stateroom access
  • Priority shore excursion reservations: 97 days prior
  • 3 guaranteed priority reservations at each specialty restaurant (90 days prior to departure)

Penthouse Junior Suite

• Priority shore excursion reservations: 87 days prior
  • 3 guaranteed priority reservations at each specialty restaurant (80 days prior to departure)

Penthouse Veranda

• 1:00 p.m. stateroom access
  • Priority shore excursion reservations: 77 days prior
  • 2 guaranteed priority reservations at each specialty restaurant (70 days prior to departure)

Deluxe Veranda

• 2:00 p.m. stateroom access
  • Priority shore excursion reservations: 67 days prior
  • 1 guaranteed priority reservations at each specialty restaurant (60 days prior to departure)

Veranda

• 3:00 p.m. stateroom access
  • Priority shore excursion reservations: 60 days prior

As I am just back from a 7 night Silhouette Cruise I saw that post catching my eye and thought- well someone as already written what I was thinking! I agree with the OP in general- interessting to read the follow up´s though!

Evening Chic- well not a bad idea- but i seemed to me on that latest cruise that " casual " evenings became a bit too casual- I saw Flip Flops- Shorts

( both on men en women) THAT IMO is to Casual- thats fine on a camp ground or in all inclusive Hotel somewhere- but for a ship?? There are Cruise Lines that cater to those wishes.

It takes " the something special" out of a cruise!

The Main Dining Room is soon to be gone- I am sure- it was sheer chaos this time- in the classic seatings both on main and second were many many emphty tables on Deck 3, while Deck 4 reserved for Select Dining was overcrowded. One night we hat to wait 45 minutes for our pervious reserved table! They have to work out this!

I am sure they have to change to keep in business- and I prepared to go along- I just will switch to Cunard and Holland from time to time...! Even with Elite Plus status- I sometime like " the old styl" of Cunard and Holland! ( As long as they keep it. LOL)

Not quite what I see on Viking Oceans website: {but still wishing you a great cruise!}

Explorer Suite

• Priority shore excursion reservations: 97 days prior
  • 3 guaranteed priority reservations at each specialty restaurant (90 days prior to departure)

Penthouse Junior Suite

• Priority shore excursion reservations: 87 days prior
  • 3 guaranteed priority reservations at each specialty restaurant (80 days prior to departure)

Penthouse Veranda

• 1:00 p.m. stateroom access
  • Priority shore excursion reservations: 77 days prior
  • 2 guaranteed priority reservations at each specialty restaurant (70 days prior to departure)

Deluxe Veranda

• 2:00 p.m. stateroom access
  • Priority shore excursion reservations: 67 days prior
  • 1 guaranteed priority reservations at each specialty restaurant (60 days prior to departure)

Veranda

• 3:00 p.m. stateroom access
  • Priority shore excursion reservations: 60 days prior

Some cruise lines are switching to "Progressive" boarding. This is just old-fashioned Conservative boarding -- the rich go first! But compared to Celebrity: no special restaurant, no special Michael's Club. Once you are seated in the MDR or the specialty restaurant -- everybody is equal.

For us, it is not as much about dress codes, perks and some other factors that some would describe as "nice" or desired. Our priorities are first and foremost about the destinations. We have done two cruises with Celebrity on the Solstice. Things worked well and the "value" fit our needs and interests. First was in the Med from Barcelona for Italy, Croatian Coast, etc. Second was Australia-New Zealand as detailed below in my live/blog. Our next cruise in three weeks goes along the South African coast and a year ago we did a cruise a thousand miles up the Amazon River, etc. BUT, Celebrity does not go to either of these more "specialized" locations. Part of it is understandable given that the larger Celebrity ships and how the required travel distances to get there might not be as handy/efficient with their fleet/market interests.

I believe that Celebrity is working to widen its offerings and locations. BUT, they understandably must "balance" their business situations and reach out to future audiences. Bob Dylan wrote and sang "The Times They Are a Changin' " in 1964. If Celebrity does not adjust and adapt to the future audience/market changes/needs, then they will not have a successful future.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 132,228 views for this posting.

We have more than 35 cruises on Celebrity, nearly all of them in either RS or PH, and for the first time in many years,

we are abandoning Celebrity and taking our cruise dollars elsewhere.

While newbies will definitely not notice all the problems with Celebrity and their product because they won't know any better,

we know that the quality of the product has been watered down to the point that faithful cruisers are leaving for other cruise lines.

We're taking our dollars to Oceania and Crystal, and will have no regrets.

It makes me sad that Ms Lutoff-Perlo is dismantling a cruise line that we loved for so many years, but in their quest for profit, and their obvious dislike for cruisers over a certain age, makes this choice to leave Celebrity a very easy one. Like ghstudio says, it's not just one thing, but all the little things that are being taken away or totally changed that greatly impact the quality of Celebrity's product,

and that product is no longer a good quality in our opinion.

WOW! After Celebrity invested so much time, effort and money into upgrading their "Suite Class Experience" with an exclusive Michael's Club,

Luminae, butlers, and booze... and wooing the people who spend a LOT of extra money for that experience...

...based on your comments they have totally, completely, and utterly failed. :eek:

I am curious if you think your opinion is in the minority, or if most people booking the "suite class experience" feel the same way. :confused:

Perhaps the "corporate suits" and marketing types at Clebrity need to read your comments.

final answer is: yes and no, depending on what class you book.

I think the focus on improving suites and justifying the extra cost is good...both for those that book suites and Celebrity's bottom line. My sense is that much of the positive comments on CC in recent weeks/months have been from suite cruisers or pertaining to suite benefits. I don't mind the increases in price for drinks, specialty restaurants...if they work..

...if demand is inelastic and profit increases, great for Celebrity.

But the no is the complete lack of focus on the non suite passengers and the captain's club/loyal passengers...where I think they are on a slippery slope.

...too many cutbacks, apparent lack of focus on differentiating concierge/aqua.... essentially no focus on these folks....just treat them like a number and if they don't like it, we'll find others. That only works for so long...

We are not suite guests...we are either aqua or 1A guests....so for us, they are going in the wrong direction....enough so that we now are booked on other cruise lines, something we probably wouldn't have done had they not reduced so much.

If you take the leaves off a tree, one at a time...each one is a small thing...but when you take off too many, the tree gets sick or dies.

I think Celebrity is on that path...the slippery slope....and I think that management is so focused on the bottom line today that they have lost site of the tree that needs to live beyond their tenure.

Your comments here are incredibly insightful and exceptionally well written, Celebrity needs YOU as a consultant. :cool:

"kitty9" booking PH and RS, represents the upper end of Celebrity's customer spending.

"ghstudio" booking Aqua and A1 cabins represents the middle ground...

...and I will throw in my two cents (about what Celebrity makes off of me) as the inside cabin-booking bottom end.

After cruising multiple times with NCL around ten years ago, changing to Celebrity was a significant step up in all but onboard entertainment.

But even as a newbie with only ten cruises on X, I have seen definite cutbacks in quality while prices have crept upwards. The food in Tuscan is nowhere NEAR what it was just five years ago.

I am almost EXCLUSIVELY value driven, and I have STILL been able to find 14+ night cruises on Celebrity for under $50pp per night.

I don't think Celebrity would shed a tear if I took MY business elsewhere,

but if people like "kitty" and "gh" bail, the company will slide into SERIOUS trouble...one leaf at a time.

Edited by teecee60

We absolutely loved that upmarket celebrity feel so yes we hope this does not diminish . The Chic night is fine by us as Jul and Aug in the med are consistently pleasantly hot. Last time we saw very few tuxedos anyway. I wore a jacket into dinner every night but promptly removed it anyway. Connie Eastern Med and hoping Reflection will be same/better this year. In holiday times the Celebrity demographic seems great for families with a couple of teens or young teens as they can meet up at the designated time join in with the pre arranged basket ball or whatever or just hang out with others of similar ages. Our Connie trip from Venice was a peak holiday time cruise but the kids and teens were never obtrusive whereas eg on the Norwegian Epic in July you cannot move for feral children (but then ours were young then and loved all the Kids clubs too) Teens are of the age where if you want waterparks, climbing walls, bowling alleys etc etc them they can go at home with friends to a local centre or theme park for a day. The Med itineraries are also very teen friendly. You can cram in some obligatory culture eg Ephesus, Chania, Athens but also the water park covering an entire hillside in kusadasi looks amazing and the beach stops like Mykonos, Corfu, Rhodes, Bodrum etc are also great and a quick taxi ride away. In Mykonos if docked you can just walk to lovely local beach. Plenty of teen style shopping in Kusadasi too for hoodies, trainers, harem trousers or whatever the latest thing is etc. We encountered quite a few families with grandparents of age 70 ish, kids 10 to 16 and parents in their 40s. Anyone wanting this Med experience but a more adults only feel simply needs to book a September or June cruise when I can imagine the ships would feel even more sophisticated and peaceful still. By having the indoor pool area, adults only Celebrity seems to have got it right too. It felt very spa like there and the teens were only allowed in one night at 9 pm with the teen leaders for an evening pool party. You also feel your children are safe whereas when we have travelled to the huge AI beach resorts I have felt very anxious .They wanted the freedom to meet up with others, go to breakfast later than us on their own or go down to the beach to swim but I was very uneasy about this and never let them swim without one of us watching. I didn't even like them staying in the room ,whereas on the ship it felt safe to let them sleep in in the cabin while we went up to watch the sunrise. I have been very fortunate to have had holidays in The Balearic, Corsica, Crete Corfu, Croatia and several times to Turkey but the beauty and serenity of the Eastern Med seascape surpassed it all. Oh and The Lavazza on board far exceeded expectations. Far better than any AI hotels and looking forward to trying out Al Bacio this time.

Re those posters who are Suite or A1 cruisers and feel things have gone downmarket think sadly it comes down to the ££££. We cannot believe how 'cheap' cruising out of Miami is so maybe your We just can't afford the flights to get there! plus hotels before and after the cruise . out of interest I am going to price up a suite for us on a favoured Med summer itinerary and I suspect it will be equivalent to nearly two months senior doctor salary! For comparison One week in our favoured European hotel is £6,500 and thst is only full board with wine but not AI.

but if people like "kitty" and "gh" bail, the company will slide into SERIOUS trouble...one leaf at a time.

Maybe/ Maybe not. If the cost of keeping a demographic of customers it is better to let them go particularly if that demographic is small and getting smaller. IMHO Celebrity is going for a younger clientele who will be customers for the next 20 years.

Maybe/ Maybe not. If the cost of keeping a demographic of customers it is better to let them go particularly if that demographic is small and getting smaller. IMHO Celebrity is going for a younger clientele who will be customers for the next 20 years.

The problem with going for a younger clientele and letting the older demographic slide is that there are other lines already catering to them. RCCL offers so many more activities including bumper cars and amusements like North Star. N.C.L. has Freestyle for those who want to avoid the misconceived image of traditional cruising. Carnival has many cruises for the younger party types.

From all my Celebrity cruises I have noticed a well balanced mix as far as age. Maybe not that many in the 21-35 group but from 35 up it has always seemed that most age groups were well represented.

If they continue to slide they are doing nothing but getting closer and closer in all aspects of cruising to other lines and thus they enter into a larger pool of competitive products.

Maybe stick with what they have and understand that the younger demographic is constantly growing into the more mature cruisers who are looking for the cruise line that as the old Celebrity claimed Exceeded Expectations.

Only an opinion

bosco

teecee your value sailing is fantastic. If all of us sails for fifty a day the line would likely fold. But agreed nothing to complain about there value wise.

I think SS is a a value more so than upper suites now. The price difference is substantial and the service may or may not be better. Some people get amazing service and others sometimes get so so. When that is the case it's only about the square footage, which is substantial. But not enough for us to pay three times the cost on most sailings.

I think X is a consistent value for those with fifty buck a day cabins. Less so for 1000 a day. But value is relative to ones budget, choices and experiences.

I read all over these boards X wants younger people but I never see the proof of that. I do see amazing efforts made for people who enjoy drinking. I am not discounting people's experiences, but we didn't see it.

Our last cruises didn't have loud music and when I hear a band play "stand by your man" there is just no way that sounds like an effort to court anyone under sixty. The music choices were geared toward my father's generation.

The three new shows? Nothing geared towards younger adults that I saw.

Edited by hulamoon

You are correct, any company has to entice new customers, because their loyalty base will become smaller just by attrition; some will not be healthy enough to cruise, some will die off, etc.

I was just on the Eclipse and had a great cruise, with a few missteps, like the buffet not as good as previous cruises, particularly on the Summit, and the fact that now I remember why I don't particularly like the S Class ships (too many people/too crowded) and prefer the M Class ships.

If they stay the same, they will not attract new cruisers (not necessarily those way younger) who like a different experience, so I don't think Celebrity is going in the wrong direction, it just might not be the right direction for some who liked the cruising of yesteryear.

Edited by NLH Arizona