Formal wear questions

Mattnvick

Hi just wondering if someone can give me some pointers on attire in the MDR. On formal nights i know my 16 year old will need a tie, will he need a jacket as well? Are ties expected for all males every evening and can females wear dress pants or does it have to be a dress/skirt. I'm really not into formal clothes but know to go in the dining room I'm going to have to suck it up. Thanks in advance

very few people dress for formal night. My husband has gone with just a shirt and tie, no jacket. I've worn a skirt and glittery top. On EN I even ate in the MTD area in a camisole tank top and shorts....with no MTD reservation too!

So don't stress it, if you don't feel like packing formal clothes, then don't, you won't feel out of place in the MDR on formal night.

. I'm really not into formal clothes but know to go in the dining room I'm going to have to suck it up. Thanks in advance

Then wear what you are comfortable wearing :) There is NO need to stress over formal wear. Your son will not "need" a tie nor will he "need" a jacket. No shorts, ball caps and tank tops. Thats really the only prohibited clothing and sometimes even that gets through :cool:

The Grande restaurant on the Quantum class ships is a "formal" dining space. Has anyone experienced dining here without wearing formal dress?

I don't want to take a dinner suit on a 7 nighter, but like the look of the restaurant which is one of the complimentary ones under Dynamic Dining

The Grande restaurant on the Quantum class ships is a "formal" dining space. Has anyone experienced dining here without wearing formal dress?

I don't want to take a dinner suit on a 7 nighter, but like the look of the restaurant which is one of the complimentary ones under Dynamic Dining

They will loan you a jacket at the door.

You can be as formal as you want or more casual. Jacket and tie are not required. On our recent Serenade cruise most men did wear a suit or jacket and tie for formal nights, and women ranged from long evening type dresses to fancy pants/tops. Less than 50% of the passengers were from the US (even though ship sailed from Florida) so that may have made a difference .

By the way, and only in my opinion, It seems there are more on an actual cruise that dress formally compared to those on CC who say they do not. Perhaps because only some very small number of ship passengers have even heard of cruise critic. They see a suggested dress code in cruise materials, and follow the suggestion.

enjoy whatever you decide.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Don't stress over clothes at all. My son has never worn a tie on a cruise ship. Both my husband and son usually just wear slacks(and sometimes even jeans) with a golf shirt in the main dining room. Formal night is a suggestion. We have stopped taking formal clothes with us, as many people don't dress up. I usually wear a nice top with capri's or a skirt to the dining room, with sandals.

Run out and buy clothes you do not need for NORMAL LIFE.

My suggestion, wear reasonable clothes on regular nights and on Formal Nights, just look a little bit better and you will feel better about the suggested dress code.

I you really want to and many do, dress in suit and tie. or what every makes you happy.

PS on short cruises were I do not fly, I do take dress pants, designer T shirt, and sports coat. It is kinda nice to dress up a little.

Thanks for your replies, but jspak124 and cruisegirl1 I think that you have slightly misunderstood the point. Under the new Dynamic Dining system on the Quantum class ships there are no formal nights. But RCI suggest that you try all the restaurants. There are 4 or 5 complimentary restaurants under this system (the other 12 or so have a supplementary charge). One of the complimentary restaurants, the Grande, is billed as "formal wear".

However, as ourusualbeach has said they loan out jackets at the door I'll go with that. It seems you can't get in without a jacket. Don't know how Phil Collins would cope!

. Perhaps because only some very small number of ship passengers have even heard of cruise critic. They see a suggested dress code in cruise materials, and follow the suggestion.

I think thats mostly just a case of seasoned cruisers who still like the tradition of dressing up and first time cruisers that just dont know any better :) I do agree in that most everyone at least makes an attempt. Less than 10% actually dress formal according to the true definition of formal though.

Edited by ryano

Thanks for your replies, but jspak124 and cruisegirl1 I think that you have slightly misunderstood the point. Under the new Dynamic Dining system on the Quantum class ships there are no formal nights. But RCI suggest that you try all the restaurants. There are 4 or 5 complimentary restaurants under this system (the other 12 or so have a supplementary charge). One of the complimentary restaurants, the Grande, is billed as "formal wear".

However, as ourusualbeach has said they loan out jackets at the door I'll go with that. It seems you can't get in without a jacket. Don't know how Phil Collins would cope!

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I didn't realize the question was about quantum. I thought the original question, which I was replying to, was just a general question about the main dining room.

very few people dress for formal night. My husband has gone with just a shirt and tie, no jacket. I've worn a skirt and glittery top. On EN I even ate in the MTD area in a camisole tank top and shorts....with no MTD reservation too!

So don't stress it, if you don't feel like packing formal clothes, then don't, you won't feel out of place in the MDR on formal night.

Totally agree with the above.

LuLu

They will loan you a jacket at the door.

Which to me begs the question that since The Grande is the only formal attire venue out of 18 on the ship and is intended as formal for those who wish to wear formal wear to dinner, why would one question what they would do if you do not wear formal wear there? Why would someone plan to go there without the suggested attire? :confused: Its not like formal night on the other ships.

But thanks Ken for your answer.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I didn't realize the question was about quantum. I thought the original question, which I was replying to, was just a general question about the main dining room.

Sorry, the misunderstanding is mine. I thought you were replying to my post. :(

Which to me begs the question that since The Grande is the only formal attire venue out of 18 on the ship and is intended as formal for those who wish to wear formal wear to dinner, why would one question what they would do if you do not wear formal wear there? Why would someone plan to go there without the suggested attire? :confused: Its not like formal night on the other ships.

But thanks Ken for your answer.

Quite simply because I am used to normal dining on cruise ships and the Grande restaurant seems to offer the same type of food you get on other lines in their MDR's. I have just returned from a 12 night P&O cruise where we had 4 formal nights, so I am not averse to formal. It's just that on a short cruise on the brand new Ovation in April I don't want to be packing formal wear but I would like to eat in Grande which it seems I can do with a "borrowed" jacket. I hope that explains it sufficiently.:D

Quite simply because I am used to normal dining on cruise ships and the Grande restaurant seems to offer the same type of food you get on other lines in their MDR's. I have just returned from a 12 night P&O cruise where we had 4 formal nights, so I am not averse to formal. It's just that on a short cruise on the brand new Ovation in April I don't want to be packing formal wear but I would like to eat in Grande which it seems I can do with a "borrowed" jacket. I hope that explains it sufficiently.:D

Now that you added the back story, yes, it does. :D

Edited by leaveitallbehind

very few people dress for formal night.

That is not true. It may vary from cruise to cruise, but I've never been on one where what I would describe as "very few" were dressed up for formal night. I find that the majority do dress up. That said, it's not a requirement, and there will be a fair number of people who are dressed casually.

From hostess stand to decorating the back of your chair in 30 seconds :D