Gala Night - sample outfit

PhDUnderTheSea

If schedule allows we may book a trip on Nieuw Amsterdam on short notice to the Caribbean. I was reading that Holland America has replaced Formal Nights with Gala Night in the MDR. To get away from the cold and in to warm weather I was thinking of outfits something along these lines. Is this sample permissible? Also, for anyone that has recently been, please share with me some of the Gala events we should be prepared for.

Best-

Steve

tommy_bahama_swordfish.jpg

If schedule allows we may book a trip on Nieuw Amsterdam on short notice to the Caribbean. I was reading that Holland America has replaced Formal Nights with Gala Night in the MDR. To get away from the cold and in to warm weather I was thinking of outfits something along these lines. Is this sample permissible? Also, for anyone that has recently been, please share with me some of the Gala events we should be prepared for.

Best-

Steve

You're fully within the guidelines. I personally would probably save the big super casual patterns like that for the non-gala nights and maybe do a more standard polo shirt on gala nights. But that's my personal opinion. Nothing that you are planning based on this picture is "wrong"

You're fully within the guidelines. I personally would probably save the big super casual patterns like that for the non-gala nights and maybe do a more standard polo shirt on gala nights. But that's my personal opinion. Nothing that you are planning based on this picture is "wrong"

Yes, mine aren't quite so "loud" as that one, but the quickest sample I could find. But that's the general style I like for the Caribbean. An untucked, button up Tommy Bahama shirt and a pair of nice slacks.

So what *IS* Gala Night exactly? Do they have special entertainment or a deck party? Is it a special menu or throwback menu like Princess has going on?

Best-

Steve

Yes, mine aren't quite so "loud" as that one, but the quickest sample I could find. But that's the general style I like for the Caribbean. An untucked, button up Tommy Bahama shirt and a pair of nice slacks.

So what *IS* Gala Night exactly? Do they have special entertainment or a deck party? Is it a special menu or throwback menu like Princess has going on?

Best-

Steve

Haven't been on since they switched it, but believe it's really just a rephrasing of the term "formal night" and nothing more. Little fancier menus, those might be the nights that more fellow guests are a little more "gussied up" than usual... but they changed terminology so that people don't feel they HAVE to have a suit/tux or HAVE to have a gown

What you have pictured is perfect for smart casual nights. For Gala nights it meets the letter of the code.

Ruth, Gala Nights are smart casual nights now. We no longer need to differentiate.

Last week on the Westerdam's 7 day cruise, more than half of the men still had jackets on. That was high especially considering there were many younger and first time cruisers.

On our 11 night Caribbean cruise in Dec most of the guys had on jackets and ties. I think it will take a bit of time to get the word out about the new dress code that only requires a collar shirt and slacks.

Ruth, Gala Nights are smart casual nights now. We no longer need to differentiate.

HAL continues to differentiate in what it calls the nights. For Gala nights they have set the smart casual as minimal acceptable level of dress, but also give a description as the time to "dress to impress".

A "need" to differentiate? No. But HAL does offer it.

The formal crowd will continue to claim that your outfit in minimum for Gala nights and you could be a much better participant if you came over to the formal camp.

The informal crowd will continue to tell you they don't care what others think or feel about the clothes they wear, as long as it meets the venue's requirements.

This thread will continue, as others have in the past few months, unabated until they tire or lose interest.

Eventually the host will make this topic a sticky like the smoking vs non-smoking thread is.

Most people, from the reports I have read since this came into effect, continue to dress as if for formal night, perhaps a few less tuxedos and gowns. If Gala night was "smart casual" there would be no need to differentiate the dress code on the daily programme. However, I am somewhat puzzled as to what makes a Gala Night "gala". Formal night used to be somewhat more special, but Gala seems to have nothing noteworthy about it.

Most people, from the reports I have read since this came into effect, continue to dress as if for formal night, perhaps a few less tuxedos and gowns. If Gala night was "smart casual" there would be no need to differentiate the dress code on the daily programme. However, I am somewhat puzzled as to what makes a Gala Night "gala". Formal night used to be somewhat more special, but Gala seems to have nothing noteworthy about it.

Formal nights only ever had a little more elevated menu and most folks dressed nicer. They still have a little better menus and the dress code now suggests rather than states that you should be dressed nicer.

I'm confused as to what else was there... :confused:

Gala Nights seem similar to regular Formal Nights to me.

"Somewhat more special" to me was the DR fancied up with chair covers, the waiters in the "formal" jacket, the DR officers in their formal white jackets, a Formal Night menu on parchment or whatever it was, a "candle" on each table and the pax got dressed up: tux and suits, fancy dresses, just making an effort as they are dining in formal surroundings. More pax in the lounges, more circulation around the ship, a nice elevated atmosphere.

Much of this is the same, the waiters don't change, the menu is that little square abbreviated one. Ship to ship, I guess there would be some differences.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Call me old school, DH will be wearing a jacket, sometimes with a tie and sometimes with a nice collared shirt on gala nights. I will put on a nice pair of pants, dressier than I would wear to church and top. Times they are a changin' and I will go with the flow. But if they post 4 gala nights on my doc's I think special...JMO

Smart casual he will be dressed like the OP, to each their own.

The formal crowd will continue to claim that your outfit in minimum for Gala nights and you could be a much better participant if you came over to the formal camp.

The informal crowd will continue to tell you they don't care what others think or feel about the clothes they wear, as long as it meets the venue's requirements.

This thread will continue, as others have in the past few months, unabated until they tire or lose interest.

Eventually the host will make this topic a sticky like the smoking vs non-smoking thread is.

According to the Hal website it is the minimum so I really don't understand your comment.

On our 11 night Caribbean cruise in Dec most of the guys had on jackets and ties. I think it will take a bit of time to get the word out about the new dress code that only requires a collar shirt and slacks.

This is maybe true in regards to the new dress code, however some of us still enjoy dressing more formally. Both versions of course are acceptable :)

Edited by freestyling

Best-

Steve

The $64,000 question.

And yes, by the reading of dress requirements you are fine to go.

Best-

Steve

I think you look fantastic!

The outfit you have pictured will, indeed, meet the minimum requirements for Gala Night. Based on our two weeks on the Eurodam last month, you will be comfortable but in the minority. 90% of the men were wearing jackets in the dining room. The casual look you displayed was worn by many men on the non-Gala Nights.

Thank you everyone for the positive comments. Glad to know I will be alright with this type of outfit. I have enough professional obligations that require professional wear and just am no longer interested in it when it comes to vacation time. I will be sure to bring some warmer clothes just in case but doubt I will need them. Being in the minority is of no bother to me, just don't want any issues onboard with being served in comfort.

Best-

Steve

Not on the ones I've been to. Many men skipped either the jacket or tie, some skipped both, and there were some tuxes still - but it was definitely not the same as casual nights.