Tipping cabin stewards

lmillah

First time we visited America, over 20 yrs ago, we were surprised at the amount of tipping that was considered normal. The courier on our tour found it necessary to remind us on a daily basis of the amount of tips he would expect at the end of the tour. The English do not tip in the same way, if I went for coffee in the daytime I would not expect to tip, at night we would leave up to 10% . My husband working for the civil service was not allowed to accept tips or even gifts.

Yes we do tip guides etc when on a cruise as we are aware that it does make up for inadequate wages. There is a national minimum wage in England, there is also a movement to increase this to provide a better 'living' wage.

None of this applies to how the crew on a cruise ship gets paid.

First time we visited America, over 20 yrs ago, we were surprised at the amount of tipping that was considered normal. The courier on our tour found it necessary to remind us on a daily basis of the amount of tips he would expect at the end of the tour. The English do not tip in the same way, if I went for coffee in the daytime I would not expect to tip, at night we would leave up to 10% . My husband working for the civil service was not allowed to accept tips or even gifts.

Yes we do tip guides etc when on a cruise as we are aware that it does make up for inadequate wages. There is a national minimum wage in England, there is also a movement to increase this to provide a better 'living' wage.

I was equally surprised when I was in England 20 some years ago. One restaurant I was charged a "service charge" that would have been around the same amount as the tip would have been on a very expensive dinner. Another we were actually charged the tip (yes that is what it said on the receipt) written in on the check for us. Both were nice restaurants near our hotel. There was also a tip jar at the local bar where we stopped by for a beer. This is why it is so annoying when people from England continue to say "We don't tip. We pay a living wage." It is the same on the ship. Call it whatever you want but those restaurants in London got my money and I was not given a choice to decide how much.

Maybe these non tipping UK people just never go out to eat or anywhere half way decent. Maybe they aren't used to traveling so in their narrow mind think it is acceptable to not adjust to the current customs. Maybe the UK only charges foreigners the above charges. Maybe it is the biggest scam on record. Either way saying that it is not tipping or doesn't happen in England is total BS. Removing your tips under this guise is also total BS.

Edited by notentirelynormal

There is quite a lot of tipping in the UK. About 10% is the norm in most restaurants too. As said many have a service charge which covers mean tippers. We tip taxi drivers, hairdressers, deliveries etc. Whatever some may say.

This tipping thing has got out of hand. It has been 15 years since we were on our last cruise. We have only been on 5 cruises. Back then we all gave our tips in envelopes at the end of the cruise. There was usually a recommendation and that is what we gave. As far as service it was always very good. I just don't think anyone should tip for what is considered superior service as it all should be superior. I realize there may be exceptional circumstances when you may ask for something that would be out of the ordinary and perhaps that would be an appropriate time to give something extra.

But, it seems like people are going insane with this tipping. I recall that the waitstaff on the ships had very coveted jobs and were paid much better than where they came from. I just will not go on a cruise and worry about what the waitstaff are making. I selected the pre-paid gratuities so that these people do get what i would guess is an appropriate amount. Tip the bartender for a drink that already has a gratuity added? This is crazy. Tip upon tip upon tip.

I do realize that many get some kind of a warm and wonderful feeling when they give extra big tips. I have friends that do this and I know that they seem to get some kind of high doing it. Perhaps it's a sense of power or they need to feel as if they are so wonderful.

Like I said, I am on pre-gratuity for our next cruise next month, and will probably give out a few envelopes with $10.00 or maybe $15.00 extra. I should not have to do this and the whole idea of the pre-gratuity thing is to insure that the waitstaff get paid. But I will do it.

Others I have talked to feel the same way. It has gotten kind of crazy. Some now want to give the pre-gratuity another name. Soon we will have a surcharge upon a tip plus added tax. Maybe it is already here.

Leave the daily charge in place and I might tip others if I feel like it.

I don't tip in UK except at night for dinner. Have never tipped bar staff. If there is a jar on the counter I might put in loose change but there is no obligation. I've never tipped hairdressers, round up for taxi driver. In regards to service charges, you don't have to pay them it is allowable to remove them from the bill, not everyone one knows this, you can give the cash directly to your server, and if the service is rubbish you definitely don't have to pay it. I tip in those countries that expect i.e. USA.

I was equally surprised when I was in England 20 some years ago. One restaurant I was charged a "service charge" that would have been around the same amount as the tip would have been on a very expensive dinner. Another we were actually charged the tip (yes that is what it said on the receipt) written in on the check for us. Both were nice restaurants near our hotel. There was also a tip jar at the local bar where we stopped by for a beer. This is why it is so annoying when people from England continue to say "We don't tip. We pay a living wage." It is the same on the ship. Call it whatever you want but those restaurants in London got my money and I was not given a choice to decide how much.

Maybe these non tipping UK people just never go out to eat or anywhere half way decent. Maybe they aren't used to traveling so in their narrow mind think it is acceptable to not adjust to the current customs. Maybe the UK only charges foreigners the above charges. Maybe it is the biggest scam on record. Either way saying that it is not tipping or doesn't happen in England is total BS. Removing your tips under this guise is also total BS.

I agree with you. Read here for the true history of tipping which began in the UK:

http://www.foodwoolf.com/2010/08/history-of-tipping.html

TIP - is actually short for "to insure promptitude."

Oh but i do. The cruise line charge me $xx for the cruise. I expect the standards on the boat to be of a level commensurate with the marketing material published by the cruise line. Nowhere does it state that I need to tip/bribe staff in order to get good service.

I find that being friendly and polite with the staff to be just as effective as the little bribes I have seen given. Indeed some staff have told me that some 'tippers' seem to think it gives them a right to be rude and demanding.

<snip>

I don't know with which cruise lines you sail but I've only sailed Celebrity, NCL, Carnival, RCL, Princess and HAL. Never, not ever, on any one of those cruise lines did any steward, bartender, dining steward or anyone other Officers, crew or staff say a single thing about one guest (named or not named) to any other guest. We have had a great many interactions and lengthy meals and conversations with many on the ships and they simply do not talk about anything any other guest says or does.

Apparently, I've been fortunate to only encounter crew that act professionally. I'm sorry you had to listen to a steward complain about other guests. That should not happen and I would not tolerate discussing other guests and their tipping habits with a steward. When you say 'some staff' that implies more than one. :eek:

Edited by sail7seas

I am a newbie because I have only cruised one time. That said, if I ever cruised with a certain friend of mine(I wont) I would be tipping like crazy as an apology for her demanding ways. Otherwise I would be too embarrassed to face the steward or wait staff.

I wonder if that's why some tip as much as they say they do.

They are so demanding they have to make it up somehow.

The Capt and Hotel director on one cruise said that the crew love having lots of Aussies on board (probably about 40-50% on that cruise) because while the tips won't be as high it will be "less stressful, more laid back cruise".

I don't know with which cruise lines you sail but I've only sailed Celebrity, NCL, Carnival, RCL, Princess and HAL. Never, not ever, on any one of those cruise lines did any steward, bartender, dining steward or anyone other Officers, crew or staff say a single thing about one guest (named or not named) to any other guest. We have had a great many interactions and lengthy meals and conversations with many on the ships and they simply do not talk about anything any other guest says or does.

Apparently, I've been fortunate to only encounter crew that act professionally. I'm sorry you had to listen to a steward complain about other guests. That should not happen and I would not tolerate discussing other guests and their tipping habits with a steward. When you say 'some staff' that implies more than one. :eek:

please point where i said it was a steward ?

indeed [emoji41]more than one .

please point where i said it was a steward ?

You quoted me but seemed to have missed this part of my post:

<snip>

Never, not ever, on any one of those cruise lines did any steward, bartender, dining steward or anyone other Officers, crew or staff say a single thing about one guest (named or not named) to any other guest

But that still doesn't address the issue of any crew/officer/staff discussing any guest with a guest.

Whether it was a steward or a Hotel Director really isn't the issue. The issue is the statement some member of the crew discussed another guest with you.

Edited by sail7seas

why are the crews wages our concern ??

Well, truthfully, they aren't.

Until someone decides they don't want to pay them. Then, in a trickle-down scenario it can have an effect on me.

Folks who don't understand how the crew gets paid are prime examples of this--those would be folks who think their cruise fare pays the wages for vall of the crew. Which it doesn't.

why are the crews wages our concern ??

They shouldn't be. Those who have low positions on the ship are from 3rd world countries and even though there wages a small compared to our standards, they make a lot more money working on the ship than they would make at home. I don't think any of them have been forced to work on the ships. And, I do believe they should have decent working conditions. I would not use a cruise line if I believed the employees worked in bad conditions or were mistreated

Anyway, if it makes someone feel good, powerful or god-like to give big tips then I am happy for them. My only complaint is that the whole concept is out of control. Service charges, pre-paid gratuities, tips for extra service. It's getting like Vegas.

I guess we Americans, who are so blessed, don't mind tipping an additional $20-50 to the cabin attendants, you know what they say, if you can't afford it, don't cruise!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

So where's the cut off on "if you can't afford it don't cruise" $10, $100, $1000, or just where.

It is the dumbest statement that gets trotted out on these boards day after day after day.

If someone can afford their fare and any compulsory extras (not those that are optional) they can afford to cruise.

They shouldn't be. Those who have low positions on the ship are from 3rd world countries and even though there wages a small compared to our standards, they make a lot more money working on the ship than they would make at home. I don't think any of them have been forced to work on the ships. And, I do believe they should have decent working conditions. I would not use a cruise line if I believed the employees worked in bad conditions or were mistreated

Anyway, if it makes someone feel good, powerful or god-like to give big tips then I am happy for them. My only complaint is that the whole concept is out of control. Service charges, pre-paid gratuities, tips for extra service. It's getting like Vegas.

And the abuse thrown at anyone who dares question it (by some on CC) just confirms how out of control it all is.

My biggest fear is that if it is ever included in the cruise cost, we will be back to square ine with some being abusive and calling names if anyone doesn't tip (it is already happening to a degree).

Leave the daily charge in place and I might tip others if I feel like it.

I don't tip in UK except at night for dinner. Have never tipped bar staff. If there is a jar on the counter I might put in loose change but there is no obligation. I've never tipped hairdressers, round up for taxi driver. In regards to service charges, you don't have to pay them it is allowable to remove them from the bill, not everyone one knows this, you can give the cash directly to your server, and if the service is rubbish you definitely don't have to pay it. I tip in those countries that expect i.e. USA.

I agree, that is what we do. I didn't say we never tip, I just remarked that it is a different culture. Also when I do tip in a restaurant I never add it to the bill if I am paying on a card. Some of the restaurant chains do not always pass on the entire amount to the relevant staff so I always tip in cash to the waiter.

have always found staff to be efficient and friendly. They do the job the cruise line employs them to do - why would I feel any need to tip them ? I do my job and neither expect nor receive tips [emoji32]

I also do my job and neither expect nor receive tips. However, I don't work a service job and the stewards and others do.

I do sometimes get an end-of-year bonus, which I really appreciate.

There have also been several posts by cruise line workers who have outlined the reasons behind the way these workers are paid. It has to do with taxing wages and payment to employment agencies, among other things.

Edited by mammajamma2013
To complete a sentence.

I agree, that is what we do. I didn't say we never tip, I just remarked that it is a different culture. Also when I do tip in a restaurant I never add it to the bill if I am paying on a card. Some of the restaurant chains do not always pass on the entire amount to the relevant staff so I always tip in cash to the waiter.

Likewise, when using a Credit cards, I just add some cash to the folder.:D

You quoted me but seemed to have missed this part of my post:

But that still doesn't address the issue of any crew/officer/staff discussing any guest with a guest.

Whether it was a steward or a Hotel Director really isn't the issue. The issue is the statement some member of the crew discussed another guest with you.

"I'm sorry you had to listen to a steward complain about other guests. "

Think the poster didnt read his/her own post [emoji32]

Neither do i tip upfront as well. I ain't going to bribe my steward on the first day of the cruise to ensure I get over the top service. If my steward is willing to work hard and obliges to our request which are minimum to say the least(Ice) and cleans the room properly. I will give him the tip at the end of the cruise, because he deserves it.

However on our last cruise, i tip the steward on the first day, the moment we got into our cabins, because he had given us slippers, bottled soap/shampoo and clean our balcony windows with hot water.

For me, i understand where they come from and the work they do, since i do work in similar positions as them though on land(hotels, bars). Therefore i tend to give more. When others give me tips when i serve them, i return the favor when someone serves me.