Latest Koningsdam Pics

InTheWASide

Definitely her best view is a Side View, I guess those that picked on the Epic can know pick on the Konningsdam ;) :D

I'm glad someone else sees it, too. I mentioned the similarities in an earlier thread, at least to my eyes. I don't understand why there are such extreme changes in depth along the sides. Perhaps a marine architect can explain it.

I'm glad someone else sees it, too. I mentioned the similarities in an earlier thread, at least to my eyes. I don't understand why there are such extreme changes in depth along the sides. Perhaps a marine architect can explain it.

:) Yes I saw it early on as well but then since I tend to like NCL and HAL I see lots of similarities ;)

From the front, it definitely looks like an apartment block on a barge, not the classic lines of HAL's other ships.

But from the side, it is unmistakably the HAL I know and love. I guess I'll just have to make sure my viewing is from the side, not head-on.

I'm guessing she will be too tall to fit under both Confederation Bridge and the bridge outside of Quebec in Canada, so will have to do any Eastern Canada/New England itineraries from Quebec and take the long way around Prince Edward Island. (And yes, I know she is not scheduled to be in Canada/New England any time soon. I was just thinking aloud in case they decide to use the new ship for those itineraries.)

NO Way she will fit under the bridges outside Quebec City. The Vista ships can't fit.

When the river was high one year, Maasdam had to wait several cruises until she could fit under after the height of the St. Lawrence went down.

Edited by sail7seas

If it wasn't for the family ocean view cabins we would be giving her a miss as we prefer a smaller ship. But we will see for ourselves in July 2017 if she is one we look forward to sailing again.

The renowned French novelist Guy de Maupassant said he hated the Eiffel Tower, but ate at its restaurant every day for lunch. When he was asked why, Maupassant replied it was only place in Paris he couldn’t see it.

The same logic could apply to ships ... you don't like how it looks from the outside, book a cruise on it! You won't have to look at it when you're on board. :D

The renowned French novelist Guy de Maupassant said he hated the Eiffel Tower, but ate at its restaurant every day for lunch. When he was asked why, Maupassant replied it was only place in Paris he couldn’t see it.

The same logic could apply to ships ... you don't like how it looks from the outside, book a cruise on it! You won't have to look at it when you're on board. :D

Yes that's funny :D It reminds me, that the opposite statement is also true. In the British TV-show "An idiot abroad" (by Ricky Gervais), starring/presenter Karl Pilkington says this upon seeing the Treasury in Petra (the tourist sight in Jordan): "It was much better to look out of a hole at a palace, than live in a palace looking at a hole"

I love this. Funny.

I can't wait to sail on the koningsdam. For those that don't like her or want to sail on her I'd like to thank you. Hopefully it will drive prices down.

Like someone mentioned above (with an Eiffel Tower illustration), once you're on it, you don't see what it looks like from the outside so it's all good. ;)

Like someone mentioned above (with an Eiffel Tower illustration), once you're on it, you don't see what it looks like from the outside so it's all good. ;)

It looks fine to me from the outside. I like Hal's new ships. They have things that are important to me. I'd be happy to never sail on the older ships again.

She is selling extremely well - from what I was told surpassing expectations. I don't see price drops (unfortunately, we are booked for November).

That's fine. I'm just surprised by how critical some posters are of the look of the ship. No one has to sail her. Plenty of other ships to sail on.

That's fine. I'm just surprised by how critical some posters are of the look of the ship. No one has to sail her. Plenty of other ships to sail on.

It's different, people hate change. However HAL realizes the have to evolve or die.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Like that thread people criticizing the new Pinnacle China abd how it degrades an experience, it's silly.

It's different, people hate change. However HAL realizes the have to evolve or die.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Like that thread people criticizing the new Pinnacle China abd how it degrades an experience, it's silly.

Totally agree :). I couldn't tell you what kind of plates I ate off of last time I was there. They weren't paper, I know that :D.

Yes, totally agree and I will sometime sail on the Koningsdam. However that does not change the fact that for me it is not a pretty ship when looking "outside in".

I have the feeling that for a few it actually looks good, but for a lot of HAL addicts it looks good no matter what. I do not agree with that, even though I can be considered an addict as well, given my cruise history.

Evolve or die? What has it got that to be what exterior design to do with it?

Try look at a new design car. A bad looking car and people wouldn't even think about buying.

New china. Degrades? Who says that? If I feel the new china is ugly... in my opinion... why can't I say that? I don't have to like everything that HAL does. What a boring world to have everyone thinking exactly the same. We may as be in the old USSR!

The problem today is that ships are built by 'committee'.

Saga Cruises is building a new ship.... a pair. They came right out in the beginning saying that they wanted a good looking ship. They asked passengers to let their input. They wanted a nice funnel. All balconies. A lot of single cabins. A nice wrap around promenade deck.... etc. Well, the design is shaping up quite nicely. It has same features as most other modern ships... even a lot like of KONINGSDAM.... but the stying is a bit sweeter. Even QUEEN MARY 2.... the designer, Stephen Payne, went to great pains to try to give a good looking ship.

109119143_SAGANBShip-Exterior-High-Res-1024x384.jpg.abf6d4335e94038b95bfd00ca933b8e4.jpg