Is MDR busier now after dress code change?

laslomas

Just wondering if more passengers are eating in the MDR after the change in dress code? Or has it made no difference? Now that jackets are no longer required for men and there has been a general reduction in 'rules' has there been a swing from eating in the buffet in the evening to eating in the MDR? Have wait times for Select increased?

The new dress code only applies to the formal nights which always seem more busy than the other nights. The dress code really only effects the men who no longer have to wear a jacket or tie. Women could get away with almost anything (black slacks and glitter top or a dress with nice jewelry) Since most women like to dress up they probably packed the appropriate formal outfit for the husband who was forced to comply. I don't think there will be much change in seating. Maybe the question should be are the specialty restaurants empty on formal night and have they had to discount on those nights?

the MDR had still seats Empty even with formal nights.

the lines were there even with formal nights.

Still there is a dress code.

Are you saying that the dress code (Jacket and Tie) was being enforced or passengers haven't realized that it has been changed to evening Chic?

Just throwing it out there but many cruisers ate in Specialty restaurants so as not to dress up for formal nights. Are those people now going back to the MDR since they don't have to dress up and in light of the exorbitant prices in the Specialties.

Are you saying that the dress code (Jacket and Tie) was being enforced or passengers haven't realized that it has been changed to evening Chic?

No, this is what I said

DSC00252.jpg

Sorry for the sideways pic

Edited by gopro63

Don't no where others are seeing dress code enforcement, but my last X cruise (Reflection) before the change had no dress code at all on formal nights.

Evening Chic isn't a dress code anyway, but a justification for those that never bothered to feel better about how they are dressing. 2017 - Smart Casual. 2018 - anything goes, bring the "dressy" shorts and T shirts.

Just throwing it out there but many cruisers ate in Specialty restaurants so as not to dress up for formal nights. Are those people now going back to the MDR since they don't have to dress up and in light of the exorbitant prices in the Specialties.

That's what the OP is asking?

Yes - THE OP asked if people were staying in the MDR on what used to be formal nights? In the past we would often have an empty table as people would go to either the buffet or specialty restaurants to avoid formal in the MDR.

Thus are people still going to specialty restaurants or staying in the MDR?

Just off the Reflection Jan. 2nd cruise. While we didn't particularly notice if the main dining room was busier on 'Chic' nights, on a few nights we did have a short wait for a table for 4, (Select dining) but that easily be have been that we had simply chosen a busy time. What we did notice is that previously on Elegant nights, the Oceanview Cafe used to serve very large, very thick portions of choice cuts of meats and fish (beef, pork, chicken, tuna and salmon, etc; some marinated, some not) and that the chefs were very eager to prepare your choice, freshly, perfectly grilled and encouraged you to pick more than one variety. On this cruise the OV Cafe on 'Chic' nights only offered some of same, much smaller and thinner cuts of meat and fish similar to what they serve for lunch, with no tuna offered at all. Sadly yet another noticeable cutback. :(

Dianne

Without giving away too much to Celebrity, this definitely effects my decision on whether or not I go to the MDR on what used to be the formal nights. I don't want them to ever change this back to require formal wear....which is why I mention it.

I will probably no longer go out of my way to book Aqua Class anymore, either. I love Blu but part of the reason for that is that we stopped bringing all the fancy clothes. I guess Celebrity thought this out and weighed out their bottom line when they made this change. The first words out of my mouth when I received this email is -- we don't have to book AQ or specialty restaurants on formal night anymore. Wooohooo!!

honestly don't think it will make a difference. prices or not, the ones that want to eat in a specialty will do so, whether its because they like the food better or have OBC to burn or any other reason.

All these conversations about the dress code are funny. The people who didn't care to dress up have their way now and they still seem to be trying to make sure that no one will dress up.

People who like to dress up still will.

Without giving away too much to Celebrity, this definitely effects my decision on whether or not I go to the MDR on what used to be the formal nights. I don't want them to ever change this back to require formal wear....which is why I mention it.

I will probably no longer go out of my way to book Aqua Class anymore, either. I love Blu but part of the reason for that is that we stopped bringing all the fancy clothes. I guess Celebrity thought this out and weighed out their bottom line when they made this change. The first words out of my mouth when I received this email is -- we don't have to book AQ or specialty restaurants on formal night anymore. Wooohooo!!

I am absolutely with you on your attitude.

Norwegian set the pace with for the rest of the industry when they started "Free Style". Once that caught on and the purpose built ships began filling to capacity the rest of the Mass Market lines had to follow along. It was inevitable that Celebrity and Princess (and soon enough HAL) would as well.

Frankly I wear dress clothes everyday for work. When I go on vacation the last thing I want to do is knot a tie simply to dine with strangers. I am always clean, neat and well dressed in slacks, shoes and a polo or sport shirt. On "formal" night or in a specialty restaurant I add a jacket.

So, for me, I will not have to book a specialty restaurant now on that one or two nights of my vacation. I doubt I'll be the only one.

All these conversations about the dress code are funny. The people who didn't care to dress up have their way now and they still seem to be trying to make sure that no one will dress up.

That's an odd statement. I have never seen anyone try to make someone NOT dress up if they want to. On the contrary, the dress code police are those who want to hold on to the old and outdated tradition.

The only group of cruisers that caused these changes were those who decided to jump ship to NCL who created Free Style in the first place. Market forces controlled these decisions.

Edited by Hobbsey

That's an odd statement. I have never seen anyone try to make someone NOT dress up if they want to. On the contrary, the dress code police are those who want to hold on to the old and outdated tradition.

The only group of cruisers that caused these changes were those who decided to jump ship to NCL who created Free Style in the first place. Market forces controlled these decisions.

There never were any "Dress Code Police". There was just a dress code that was created by the cruise line. It has changed but it seems that people are still concerned that someone might still be looking too dressed up for their taste. Why is there still any discussion about the subject? There is no dress code any more.

There never were any "Dress Code Police". There was just a dress code that was created by the cruise line. It has changed but it seems that people are still concerned that someone might still be looking too dressed up for their taste. Why is there still any discussion about the subject? There is no dress code any more.

LOL, no, there is no Actual Dress Code police. I was referring to those in these forums that insist on criticizing others for not dressing up to their standards.

LOL, no, there is no Actual Dress Code police. I was referring to those in these forums that insist on criticizing others for not dressing up to their standards.

The point is the standards were Celebrity's, not the passengers'.

Evening Chic isn't a dress code anyway, but a justification for those that never bothered to feel better about how they are dressing.

Wow... :eek: I had to step away from my computer and count to 100 (1000) but I just have to respond! I care very much about how I look - not for anyone else, but for myself! I will be bringing all my favourite fancy dresses for my upcoming cruise. Will I look chic enough in your eyes? Probably not. I certainly hope you are not sitting next to me in the MDR looking down your nose at how I am dressed - but if you are, rest assured that I will not care one bit what you are wearing - I will be too busy enjoying myself on the cruise!

Wow... :eek: I had to step away from my computer and count to 100 (1000) but I just have to respond! I care very much about how I look - not for anyone else, but for myself! I will be bringing all my favourite fancy dresses for my upcoming cruise. Will I look chic enough in your eyes? Probably not. I certainly hope you are not sitting next to me in the MDR looking down your nose at how I am dressed - but if you are, rest assured that I will not care one bit what you are wearing - I will be too busy enjoying myself on the cruise!

Yes, indeed!! I also had to count to 1000 just to calm down, too....thinking maybe I read this or interpreted this incorrectly. :(

And also, I did eat in the specialty restaurants ONLY to avoid having to bring formal wear! I am not a foodie and while I enjoyed my dinners in those dining rooms, I have enjoyed them just as much in the MDR. $100 for a meal is way too much to charge in my opinion when I like what is within steps away just as much. Plus, the specialty restaurants always require reservations and that is not a dining style I enjoy. That is why Blu worked out so well for us.

Not sure how true that is.

We enjoy(ed) dressing up for formal night and making the evening just that little bit more special but have no desire to stand out in the crowd as I feel would happen if we were to wear formal wear now.

Good reply edmonton2!! I am totally on the same page with you. I love dressing up for me and for my hubby. Enjoy a romantic, dress up dinner. So I too care nothing about what others think of my apparel....I choose to continue the formal nights, whether anyone else does or not. End of rant! ;)

honestly don't think it will make a difference. prices or not, the ones that want to eat in a specialty will do so, whether its because they like the food better or have OBC to burn or any other reason.

How do you explain all the people who always asked when formal nights were so they could book a specialty and said it was because they didn't want to dress formal.