Is MDR busier now after dress code change?

laslomas

Not sure how true that is.

We enjoy(ed) dressing up for formal night and making the evening just that little bit more special but have no desire to stand out in the crowd as I feel would happen if we were to wear formal wear now.

Nothing wrong with looking good. Type in "evening chic attire" on Google and see what comes up. Celebrity's formal wear wasn't that formal anyway.

Don't no where others are seeing dress code enforcement, but my last X cruise (Reflection) before the change had no dress code at all on formal nights.

Evening Chic isn't a dress code anyway, but a justification for those that never bothered to feel better about how they are dressing. 2017 - Smart Casual. 2018 - anything goes, bring the "dressy" shorts and T shirts.

I am happy about the evening chic change and dress up every evening.

DH and I have always dressed nicely on smart casual evenings and now the attire for "chic evenings" sounds about the way we've always dressed for smart casual evenings. So there are no special evenings now...disappointing. I know we still have the right to dress formally if we want to, but we would be uncomfortable looking out of place. Wish X had left this issue alone. Before this change anyone who didn't want to dress formally had options (buffet, specialty or room service), but now those who do want to dress formally have no options unless they go rogue and stick out like a sore thumb!

Nothing wrong with looking good. Type in "evening chic attire" on Google and see what comes up. Celebrity's formal wear wasn't that formal anyway.

Ok - so I did it.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrTcca3E5xWs2AArjknnIlQ?p=evening+chic+attire+for+men&fr=yhs-mozilla-005&fr2=piv-web&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-005

All over the place from short sleeve untucked shirt and chinos to a jacket and tie but not a tux in sight.

I stand by my statement about looking out of place.

Oh well...........

Catugirl - didn't see your post before I wrote the above but you've said exactly what I'm feeling.

Edited by chamima

Ok - so I did it.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrTcca3E5xWs2AArjknnIlQ?p=evening+chic+attire+for+men&fr=yhs-mozilla-005&fr2=piv-web&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-005

All over the place from short sleeve untucked shirt and chinos to a jacket and tie but not a tux in sight.

I stand by my statement about looking out of place.

Oh well...........

Try Google images. I also see tuxes on your link.

Edited by Ma Bell

I don't worry about looking out of place. If I want to wear my tux because my wife likes me to wear it then I will - even if I was the only one aboard doing so. It's my cruise...my holiday...and so long as I am within the dress code I'll wear whatever I want and care not what others might think...that's their problem, not mine

I don't worry about looking out of place. If I want to wear my tux because my wife likes me to wear it then I will - even if I was the only one aboard doing so. It's my cruise...my holiday...and so long as I am within the dress code I'll wear whatever I want and care not what others might think...that's their problem, not mine

Exactly! That may be what they mean by Modern Luxury.

Edited by Hobbsey

Wow... :eek: I had to step away from my computer and count to 100 (1000) but I just have to respond! I care very much about how I look - not for anyone else, but for myself! I will be bringing all my favourite fancy dresses for my upcoming cruise. Will I look chic enough in your eyes? Probably not. I certainly hope you are not sitting next to me in the MDR looking down your nose at how I am dressed - but if you are, rest assured that I will not care one bit what you are wearing - I will be too busy enjoying myself on the cruise!

Wow! Although I love getting a strong reaction, I think I'm being completely misread.

The point I was trying to make is that for some time now, its been possible to come off a super casual excursion, or afternoon up at the pool, and just not feeling like changing, so straight to the MDR on a formal night, and you will NOT be turned away. Ever actually seen anyone stopped?, well I haven't. Don't care, and what you have is a completely unenforced dress code, but at least theory it exists.

Now maybe I'm wrong, but I at least thought that maybe the grubby dresser had some awareness of being well below "standard" and possibly some uneasiness, just not enough to shower and dress. My point is that under the new code, this person will justify his dress as within Evening Chic.

All these conversations about the dress code are funny. The people who didn't care to dress up have their way now and they still seem to be trying to make sure that no one will dress up.

People who like to dress up still will.

As it should be! :D (What someone else wears has never affected me one way or the other.)

Good reply edmonton2!! I am totally on the same page with you. I love dressing up for me and for my hubby. Enjoy a romantic, dress up dinner. So I too care nothing about what others think of my apparel....I choose to continue the formal nights, whether anyone else does or not. End of rant! ;)

I agree we will still dress up formally.

Ooooops, I was not asking for comments about dress code, the threads on that are long enough, but whether there was an impact on dining preferences since the change.

Is the MDR busier? Are the Speciality venues and Buffet quieter as passengers are welcome in MDR now in more casual attire? or has there been no noticeable change?

I didn't notice that the MDR or the specialty restaurants have changed at all. We dine Select so get to see the end of the Early Seating and the beginning of the late seating, both seemed to be the usual crowds on both smart casual and Evening Chic nights. The MDR was sometimes quite empty but they were the port days. I do not frequent the Buffet so cannot comment on that. I hope that answers your query.:D

honestly don't think it will make a difference. prices or not, the ones that want to eat in a specialty will do so, whether its because they like the food better or have OBC to burn or any other reason.

True but now they may be more inclined to book the specialty on a different night and eat in the MDR on Formal night. If we did eat in a specialty it was always on one of the formal nights so we didn't have to dress up.

So will we. I'll still wear my Dinner Suit on our forthcoming Eclipse Baltic Cruise in July, and to be honest I couldn't care less what others think.

And so will I and the 9 other people in our party - I think we may be on the same cruise as you actually . And like you we won't give a monkey's what anyone else wears - each to their own seems to be the new dress code .

Some people seem to think that the old formal nights - now called ' evening chic ' or some such ridiculous name - occur every night . There are only 2 or 3 on a 14 day cruise and consequently 11 non formal nights . Is it that big a deal to make those 2 or 3 evenings that little bit different from the other 11 and wear a jacket and , heaven forbid , a tie ?

Getting back to the OP comment re Speciality restaurants - did people really pay out 100 dollars just to avoid using the MDR and being required to wear a jacket and a shirt with a collar for approx. 1 hour ? Seriously ?! .... And the winner was - Celebrity !

Wow! Although I love getting a strong reaction, I think I'm being completely misread.

The point I was trying to make is that for some time now, its been possible to come off a super casual excursion, or afternoon up at the pool, and just not feeling like changing, so straight to the MDR on a formal night, and you will NOT be turned away. Ever actually seen anyone stopped?, well I haven't. Don't care, and what you have is a completely unenforced dress code, but at least theory it exists.

Now maybe I'm wrong, but I at least thought that maybe the grubby dresser had some awareness of being well below "standard" and possibly some uneasiness, just not enough to shower and dress. My point is that under the new code, this person will justify his dress as within Evening Chic.

Why do you care what other people wear?

And so will I and the 9 other people in our party - I think we may be on the same cruise as you actually . And like you we won't give a monkey's what anyone else wears - each to their own seems to be the new dress code .

Some people seem to think that the old formal nights - now called ' evening chic ' or some such ridiculous name - occur every night . There are only 2 or 3 on a 14 day cruise and consequently 11 non formal nights . Is it that big a deal to make those 2 or 3 evenings that little bit different from the other 11 and wear a jacket and , heaven forbid , a tie ?

Getting back to the OP comment re Speciality restaurants - did people really pay out 100 dollars just to avoid using the MDR and being required to wear a jacket and a shirt with a collar for approx. 1 hour ? Seriously ?! .... And the winner was - Celebrity !

When you consider the price of just a shirt and silk tie let alone a jacket, they got off cheap with just paying $100 for a diner that was probably better than the MDR. Winner was the passenger.

I am absolutely with you on your attitude.

Norwegian set the pace with for the rest of the industry when they started "Free Style". Once that caught on and the purpose built ships began filling to capacity the rest of the Mass Market lines had to follow along. It was inevitable that Celebrity and Princess (and soon enough HAL) would as well.

Frankly I wear dress clothes everyday for work. When I go on vacation the last thing I want to do is knot a tie simply to dine with strangers. I am always clean, neat and well dressed in slacks, shoes and a polo or sport shirt. On "formal" night or in a specialty restaurant I add a jacket.

So, for me, I will not have to book a specialty restaurant now on that one or two nights of my vacation. I doubt I'll be the only one.

Freestyle is about more than a casual dress code. It's about flexibility. Looking at my signature, you'll see that we've cruised with Norwegian a lot. We like the flexibility and options. Hobbsey - anything after this paragraph is definitely not directed at you.

We will be booking another Thanksgiving cruise, and a couple of the options we are looking at are on X. We've done 2 on X before and we really liked them. My husband now has to wear a suit and tie to work, so lugging formal wear/suits aren't what we look for in a vacation. I came on this board to find out if people were still trashing those who didn't dress to their standards. Sad to say, it's alive and well. Fortunately for us, we don't really care what you think.

Why do you care what other people wear?

Oh, and you are implying that you have no interest, yet you bother to read through the hundreds of posts on this and similar threads - that's strange.

To answer, what other people wear to dinner is an issue that has been beaten to death and doesn't need a comment. What I DO care about is the rapid decline in many facets of the cruise experience on X. Some of the more concrete aspects of this decline are IMHO, Evening Chic, the talk of Modern Luxury at the same time cuts are being made, the new pervasive club music, etc. And yes, I know I should go to another line, and probably will (as many others are stating recently), but I book far ahead, and in the meantime I'll state my opinions.

Cruising can be a real fun experience. Yes I understood the OP question. Formal night on a Seven Day Cruise. there are two nights not one? How people are dressed for the Evening on not just for Dinner.

I can just imagine like West world the Movie. you do not want to play the role?

That is quite alright. These are the people you'll never see again....They say change is good, but this change, takes away the good.

It's who's House, or should we say Ship? The days the Capt'n would be happy to sit with the Guests at Dinner? well would you like to see the Staff in their plane clothes as well. I guess some would?

Formal nights no matter where you go if it is up on Deck 14, looks out of place at the Ocean Café if you ask me. I would look, and I would compliment, yes I would. because I do go up there all dressed up as well.. At least I try. And who do I see up there eating, " The Capt'n and Staff"

7 days, who would not want to be dressed up each night, it's the time of your Life. you paid good money and waited all year for this moment or years.

Well the days of dress up is over for some, but take note after dinner you see more dressed up people than casual one's, they still lout weight the casuals.

Not sure how true that is.

We enjoy(ed) dressing up for formal night and making the evening just that little bit more special but have no desire to stand out in the crowd as I feel would happen if we were to wear formal wear now.

Hi, I just want to reassure that if dressing formally is part of your cruise enjoyment, that's it's still alive & well :)

We cruised on the Silhouette the week before Christmas, & on chic nights we still saw tuxes, gowns, suits & cocktail dresses. Yes there were jeans, or shorts on folks heading to the buffet, but there would be no reason not to bring & enjoy your formal wear. :)