Debarkation reflection- flying from FLL- need help please

hockeymom21

Please forgive me if this is somewhere on the board. I have used search and cannot find answer. What would your advice be for getting to FLL airport from Miami Port and making a 10:45AM flight? Of course, using self debarkation. Would you suggest using private driver to get to airport? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Just for 1 person. Thank you.

Even if everything goes well this is going to be a tight connection. You need to be at the airport 2 hours prior to departure for a domestic flight. Allowing for an hour to get from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale once you disembark, you should be off the ship before 8:00am. I believe a taxi is your best option to get to Ft. Lauderdale quickly.

We had an 11:10am flight from FLL disembarking Reflection this past December.

We carried our own luggage off the ship and we were off by 7:15am with no lines through customs. The private car service we pre-arranged was scheduled to pick us up at 8am, they arrived at 7:45am. Even with hitting some traffic on I-95, we arrived at our terminal (JetBlue) by 8:45am.

Everything went as smoothly as it could, no issues getting an empty elevator at 6:30am... we even had time to stop off at Luminae for a quick breakfast before leaving the ship. Of course, anything can happen, we knew we had to move quickly that morning and having a private car (vs. a van carrying additional passengers, etc) was key. You don't want to be stuck on a multi-pax van that will make multiple stops and delay your arrival to the airport.

Would I do it again? Probably not... mainly because I don't like having the worry if there should be a problem with the ship clearing customs, etc.. and I didn't like the rushing around that early in the morning and dealing with our luggage. For our upcoming cruise, we purposely chose a later flight out of FLL and plan to disembark the ship later.

Good luck!

I agree that it can be tight. Many factors can cause your delay.

For sure a private car and driver would be a wise choice but it does depend on the day of the week, traffic and how tight the check in counter plays by the rules. I believe that, as you are flying within the country you only need to be checked in within 60 minutes of the flight.

If you can do online check in (at the computer center on the ship) the day before that will save you time as you only need to drop off bags and not be in line to check in.

Edited by pete_coach

Please forgive me if this is somewhere on the board. I have used search and cannot find answer. What would your advice be for getting to FLL airport from Miami Port and making a 10:45AM flight? Of course, using self debarkation. Would you suggest using private driver to get to airport? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Just for 1 person. Thank you.

We are doing this from Ft Lauderdale to Ft Lauderdale airport, but not from Miami.

Edited by Jade13

You might make it and then again you may not. I have been on cruises where no one got off the ship before 11 AM. Checking in online is a nice idea but does not save any time at airport - you still need to check-in for your bags. Saturday is always one of the busiest day at FLL airport - up to 10 cruises letting off passengers really backs up security lines. I am doing the same thing for my cruise and have a 6 PM flight out of FLL - only nonstop and best price when I booked. Bet you will be thinking about that flight for your entire cruise.

We used QLS Private car service for a ride from POM to FLL. They also have a shared shuttle that would be less costly, but not sure how early their first van full will leave the port area. Be prepared to pay around $90 for private or even a taxi (which can be hard to get, especially one willing to drive over to Ft. Lauderdale.) Good luck! :)

We took the Celebrity transfer from Miami to Fort Lauderdale airport yesterday.

We had a scheduled disembarkation time of 7:15 and caught a 9:45 flight. We were were scheduled for a 12:57 flight but managed to change at check in.

No delay at immigration (we are Canadian).

Waited 20 minutes for luggage.

No traffic problems on the way.

Luggage drop moved quickly.

All things worked together for good. Wouldn't count on it an other time.

Hope for the best in terms of ship being cleared, line up VERY EARLY for self disembarkation, grab the first taxi you see. Avoid shared rides, Hope roads are clear and that you are not delayed by luggage check in , security lines, ....carry on only would be best ..

How many ships arrive back to port everglades same day?...they may get to the airport first!

Have a back up plan if you miss your flight...very important

Edited by hcat

Thanks! Would you mind sharing what the change fee is to take an earlier flight? We have a 12:45 or so flight out, but there is an earlier flight that we would rather take. The problem is getting the earlier connecting flight to home so that we arrive home earlier. It's either that, or sit in ATL for a longer length of time (if we get an earlier flight out of MIA.)

FLL from Miami port for a 10:45AM flight? Even on the best of days you're looking at a 35 minute trip. And this is assuming you're among the first out of the port and hitting the highway immediately. If you can definitely be off the ship by 7:30 at the latest, getting through customs within 15 minutes or so, you may make it to the airport by 8:45 or 9:00.

So, yes, it's doable, but do you want to cut it that close?

Others have already said it. If you are off the ship at 7:30 with your luggage (that is if ship is not late and customs is fast) in your hand you now catch a taxi (fastest) and in rush hour traffic probably 45 minutes to FLL. We are now at about 9:00 at FLL. Stand in line to check your bags - (no idea how long) - and go thru security and walk to gate - 20-45 minutes - and it is now close to 10:00. Since you must be at the gate 30 minutes before flight time you can absolutely make your flight if everything goes right. One little blip and you miss your flight.

FWIW - I am TSA precleared and it took me one hour and twenty minutes to get from the curb to my flight last year at FLL and I got to go in a preference line for my bags as I fly a lot.

Hi there

We have booked a private shuttle to FLL. We already have 2 other couples from this cruise with our shuttle. We have room for another person. The cost is $25 for Single person $40 per couple. We are doing walk off as well. If you want to send me an email, we can chat. lisehodgson@rogers.com.

Talk to you soon

Lise

Pete, I'm not sure where Jade was coming from but I'm sure it was a well intentioned post. One could ask what the value of your post is, too?

No disrespect of course.

No disrespect but what, value was your post to the topic? :confused:

Curious how much that transfer was pp? Amazing that you made that flight! :eek: Could you change without a change fee?

The issue with cruise ship transfers is that you will be waiting until the bus is full, which could be a while. For a tight schedule, I'd absolutely book a private car service. They'll be waiting specifically for you, and won't balk at driving from PoM to FLL as some cabbies might.