Freedom of the Seas - Labadee issues today

I know other lines do...I just got off the phone with RCI and she told me that the decision to go to Labadee or not will be made while we are on the Oasis. We sail a week from Saturday.

I asked RCI if an obc would be given of our port fees if they bypass the port...and was told to take it up with the ship.

Has anyone reading this missed a port...and did YOU receive an obc to equal the port fees paid?

Yes, port fees/taxes are refunded if they miss the port. They gave is a refund yesterday on Vision for missing Grand Cayman.

Edited by clarea

Here is one of the protest signs I was able to capture.

]

You do know when you post this stuff , You, Become an enabler of this type of activity, the protesters get exactly what they want with your help

Edited by setsail

Based on what I've read, seen and heard, my personal interpretation of the word PUSH in the "Continue the PUSH for development" protest signage is that locals want RCL to honor agreements that were made to continue development and expansion of Labadee.

Also, what the photos and videos of the protest don't show is that the boats first circled the Freedom in the early morning hours just after our arrival. Signage and verbiage were directed towards the ship. A little while later, security boats arrived to herd them to an area near the wave runner dock.

Thanks for the background. It sounds like the Protest was directed more at RCI than what I originally read. Guess it may be awhile until ships stop in Labadee. Had a great day there last August with a Cabana.

You do know when you post this stuff , You, Become an enabler of this type of activity, the protesters get exactly what they want with your help

Yes, we Americans are enablers of protests, as that's how we became a country. That's also why we enshrined the right to protest in our Constitution. So I'm not sure what country lower case "va" is, but you should read up on ours.

I doubt the ports even care. Why would the ports be sad? :confused:

Do you really not understand what the person is saying or are you just giving them trouble.

To have only 2 ports on a 7 night cruise would be sad. It would be a sad thing to have only 2 ports on a 7 night cruise.

Does that make sense now?

It was written in a stylized form, but it's just saying that the idea, the concept, is sad. Not that the passengers are sad or that the port (??) is sad.

I know Navigator of the Seas cancelled Labadee today. Do we know what ships are supposed to come in next and what their plans are? I'm interested in seeing how long this conflict will go on for.

I have seen enough posts on facebook to add a little credence (considering the source) that a chartered cruise for March has changed from Labadee to Nassau. That would indicate to me, through speculation only, that perhaps the charter company made that change, but it is the furthest out change I have heard of. I do have a friend on the upcoming BUCKEYE CRUISE FOR CANCEER that is on Navigator in late February and as of today they haven't heard of any changes.

This article is 20 years old but talks about some of the background of RCI and Labadee.

What struck me are the dates; it is nearly exactly 30 years since RCI's first call at Labadee and that may be significant with these protests.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Fantasy+Island%3A+Royal+Caribbean+parcels+off+a+piece+of+Haiti.-a019622661

Do you really not understand what the person is saying or are you just giving them trouble.

To have only 2 ports on a 7 night cruise would be sad. It would be a sad thing to have only 2 ports on a 7 night cruise.

Does that make sense now?

It was written in a stylized form, but it's just saying that the idea, the concept, is sad. Not that the passengers are sad or that the port (??) is sad.

It's sad both for the passengers who don't get to enjoy the day in Labadee, and the locals whose livelihoods are affected. I'm guessing most of the folks who work at Labadee are dependant on tips, so they've lost 2 days already. I would bet the protesters that prevented the ships from docking are not the ones who work there...

This article is 20 years old but talks about some of the background of RCI and Labadee.

What struck me are the dates; it is nearly exactly 30 years since RCI's first call at Labadee and that may be significant with these protests.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Fantasy+Island%3A+Royal+Caribbean+parcels+off+a+piece+of+Haiti.-a019622661

The article was obviously written by a cruise/corporate hating ignorant liberal.:D Interesting nonetheless thanks for sharing.

That said, it is perfectly understandable that locals will see all the affluence and want a bigger piece of the action. I won't blame them one bit for that.

Edited by bouhunter

The article was obviously written by a cruise/corporate hating ignorant liberal.:D Interesting nonetheless thanks for sharing.

That said, it is perfectly understandable that locals will see all the affluence and want a bigger piece of the action. I won't blame them one bit for that.

That didn't take long

Yes, we Americans are enablers of protests, as that's how we became a country. That's also why we enshrined the right to protest in our Constitution. So I'm not sure what country lower case "va" is, but you should read up on ours.

I gotta hand it to the Haitians. Their protest was much more civilized than the opportunistic thugs I've been seeing in our country lately.