Major snowstorm

Giorgi-one

I know someone who was suppose to fly out tonight from NY....cancelled...they are driving to Providence RI and getting a flight out in the morning...weather should be ok there.

Not a good plan if they're flying Southwest....S/W has already cancelled all flights in and out of BWI and most flights to Florida from the Northeast corridor change in Baltimore. Only flights leaving Long Island today are non-stops to Florida..everything else has already been cancelled. If I were supposed to fly our from NY tonight I would have either changed my flight or started driving Wed. The entire east coast is going to be impacted by this storm as far south as North Carolina.

I have cruised for years--while still working--and always planned to take days off prior to cruise to ensure I made it, as we were flying out of blustery Buffalo, NY. I will not risk losing all I invested in a vacation! Take my advice, and fly down at least one day prior. Make it part of your vacation.

Many cruises sail on Sunday so flying in Sat might work better for the person who cannot leave on friday before a sat cruise

Edited by Cruise a holic

We were 3 days early for our 17 Night Celebrity Infinity Panama Canal Cruise in San Francisco.

If I was doing a 1 week Inside Cabin Florida/San Juan Cruise maybe I risk missing my flight?

We are Aqua 1 booked first day, not going to take a chance.

CaptDave

When we do the Summit out of San Juan most of the passengers arrived that day. I always tell them...what it?

I use to fly G-IV's around the world. I do know a bit about traveling. Spend the money and get there a couple days early.

CaptDave

My Summit cruise definitely had interesting travel complications going to San Juan and coming home.

Flying out for a cruise is rarely an issue as we ALWAYS fly out the day before. However, this one time, there was an issue. Thankfully not a major one.

The day flew out it the temperature was 1°. The plane we were about to board had sat at the gate all night long. (S.O.P. Not usually a big deal.) Unfortunately the ground crew failed to drain all the water from the pipes in the plane, so they froze. They could not fly the plane without having running water.

Everybody deboarded, including the flight crew, and they amped up the heat on the plane as high as it would go, as well as having heaters under the plane. Eventually the water was moving and we re-boarded. We ended up leaving over an hour late.

Through all of that, and before we got off the plane, 4 couples rushed on to it about 20 minutes late! :p The plane's misfortune was their lucky break!

Now then, flying home after the cruise was not an issue for us to get back to Chicago, but it was an issue for those going to and from the east coast. Much like today, there was a major storm hitting them. The cruise line was already informed the day before we disembarked that about 200 passengers on the cruise after ours would be catching up to the ship at the first port of call. Flights heading out to the east were all cancelled. NOTHING was flying out. Flights to Chicago were fine, but there were some small delays. Our flight was actually overbooked and the people at the desk were begging some passengers to take a later flight.

All I know is, we got home safe & sound. And back to frigid weather....

Everyone would love to arrive a day or two early but may not have the funds or vacation time to do so.

We always fly in the day before but there are expenses associated with it. There's the cost of the hotel and meals. Flying a different day may increase the cost of a ticket.

Many people don't get a generous number of vacation days.

I hope everyone gets to their ship safely so the relaxing & partying can begin!

Not a good plan if they're flying Southwest....S/W has already cancelled all flights in and out of BWI and most flights to Florida from the Northeast corridor change in Baltimore. Only flights leaving Long Island today are non-stops to Florida..everything else has already been cancelled. If I were supposed to fly our from NY tonight I would have either changed my flight or started driving Wed. The entire east coast is going to be impacted by this storm as far south as North Carolina.

I left fla last night on Sw from TPA to Islip...non stop...advanced it from Sat...plane was 100 capacity ....balt flt was delayed. Happens alot.

glad to be back for a family event but it is now postponed til next weekend..

6,000 flights canceled for this storm.

Hope everyone gets where they need to go asap and safely....next few days wll be rough trvl wise!

I left fla last night on Sw from TPA to Islip...non stop...advanced it from Sat...plane was 100 capacity ....balt flt was delayed. Happens alot.

glad to be back for a family event but it is now postponed til next weekend..

6,000 flights canceled for this storm.

Hope everyone gets where they need to go asap and safely....next few days wll be rough trvl wise!

HCAT: hope you're either holed up with family or at a hotel with a restaurant. Our snow totals now up to 18". Southwest has cancelled virtually every flight leaving Islip after 12:30 today. Only flights that went out were the 4 non-stops to Florida this morning. As for other destinations, virtually everybody has to stop in BWI and those flights have been cancelled for today and tomorrow. Sorry your event has been postponed...if its any consolation to you weather supposed to warm up next week.

Edited by Hydrokitty

We never heard back from the OP, so I'm wondering what happened. Hopefully he was able to get out today (Friday). Philadelphia airport is closing, so nothing will be going out tomorrow.

Hype? I think not. I live at the Jersey Shore, and not only do we have the snowstorm to worry about, but coastal flooding.

Although we had to cancel our annual February Caribbean cruise due to caring for my elderly mother, we had arranged to fly out 4 days prior to the cruise departure. Never want to take a chance in the winter.

We never heard back from the OP, so I'm wondering what happened. Hopefully he was able to get out today (Friday). Philadelphia airport is closing, so nothing will be going out tomorrow.

Hype? I think not. I live at the Jersey Shore, and not only do we have the snowstorm to worry about, but coastal flooding.

Although we had to cancel our annual February Caribbean cruise due to caring for my elderly mother, we had arranged to fly out 4 days prior to the cruise departure. Never want to take a chance in the winter.

I heard they were evacuating Barnegat. Stay safe. The News here in Philly just upped the expected amount to 2 feet.

Our first cruise departed on a Saturday from Port Everglades. We had a 9:00am flight out of Philly the Friday before. It started snowing as we were taxiing out to the runway.

When we arrived in FLL the airport was an absolute ZOO. No flights were leaving for the Midwest or North East and a lot of people were stuck there with no way out. It turns out we were one of the last flights to leave the North East that day. When the ship sailed Saturday, leaving 2 hours late to try to give people time to arrive, it was still just over half full.

We have been lucky flying down to FLL in the morning of the day before we sail. This next cruise we are flying down Thursday morning (6:45am flight) for a Saturday departure. We want to be double sure we get there, so if whether is an issue we can just get in the car and drive and still make it!

I sure hope for everyone trying to get away this weekend (and for my Son who has to clear the sidewalks and driveway at home!) that the predictions are just typical TV rating bait hype.

Exactly why we're flying down on Thursday as well - no WAY I'm missing this cruise.

Although I'm hoping this weekend is going to get the snow demons out of our area. We HAD planned to go to Rehoboth and hit the outlets for new cruise clothes this weekend. Yeah. Next weekend, I guess! We're firmly in the 18-24" band here, and it's snowing pretty hard out.

Everyone would love to arrive a day or two early but may not have the funds or vacation time to do so.

We always fly in the day before but there are expenses associated with it. There's the cost of the hotel and meals. Flying a different day may increase the cost of a ticket.

Many people don't get a generous number of vacation days.

I hope everyone gets to their ship safely so the relaxing & partying can begin!

I've had issues like that on occasion, though extremely rare, where I could not take the day off, but I took an evening flight after work. I usually priceline a hotel and I can get one for well under $100.

We have a Sunday cruise and our plane was supposed to leave Detroit Metro Airport at 6:55 Friday am. Plane was full with some people leaving on their cruise on Friday afternoon and another couple traveling to Aruba. Well, our plane was, at first, cancelled because they were unable to close the back door. Eventually, at the pilot's insistence, they were able to fix the door and all, but one, of the 155 people on board reboarded. People would make their cruise, others would get new connections and we are in our hotel waiting for Sunday am.

All nonstop flights to Florida from Providence are running as usual today which is great news for vacationers. Same was true for yesterday. No snow yet as of 10:15 am but the weather people promised us snow by 8 am.

Philadelphia airport closed yesterday afternoon. Still closed today. Charlotte closed early friday and hopes to open late today. going to take well into Monday to sort things out.] witrh thousands of flights cancelled. Sort of everything south of you closed or almost so.

Philadelphia airport closed yesterday afternoon. Still closed today. Charlotte closed early friday and hopes to open late today. going to take well into Monday to sort things out.] witrh thousands of flights cancelled. Sort of everything south of you closed or almost so.

The 6 am flight to Charlotte is scheduled to leave at noon. Anything to/from Baltimore has been cancelled at least til 6 pm at this point. It appears those planes going back and forth from Florida are not being affected.

South Shore of Long Island.....we're expecting 24" of hype and flooding at high tide. Saw pictures of Jersey Shore.....good luck down there....we're both gonna need it.

HCAT: hope you're either holed up with family or at a hotel with a restaurant. Our snow totals now up to 18". Southwest has cancelled virtually every flight leaving Islip after 12:30 today. Only flights that went out were the 4 non-stops to Florida this morning. As for other destinations, virtually everybody has to stop in BWI and those flights have been cancelled for today and tomorrow. Sorry your event has been postponed...if its any consolation to you weather supposed to warm up next week.

Thanks..I'm safe at home in Suffolk NY. Had a smooth nonstop flt TPA to ISP . Got to shop and prepare yesterday and so far still have power. Snow blower guy will come tom and I am not venturing out,,,even to visit next door!

Dtr made the right call postponing altough fewer can make it next week. Getitng around tom will be rough!

Hope you are safe too. We never go thru Balto on SW.unless absolutely necessary. ..frequent weather and other delay issues..got abandoned there one night by SW at 11 pm., no hotels available we rented a car and husb had to drive home into the night.. got the max booby prize from SW but would rather they held our plane...they do that much less these days..

Hope cruisers and travelers made it safely to destinations.

Edited by hcat