Possible snow diversion this week from NY

rsail203

We are driving from Toronto, Canada to NJ on Sunday for Anthem, which leaves on Monday. Since we are coming from the north I think we should be alright, I have been monitoring weather forecast for the various cities we will drive through along the way and looks like we should only hit the affected area once we are almost there (the last 100 km or so). I am hoping by Sunday evening the major highways will be clear. If the last leg of the drive takes twice as long I am ok with that too.

Hope I am not being too optimistic!

If it was me, I'd already be gone.

;) Me too ! We're leaving early Wednesday to drive to FLL to board Oasis on the 30th but I'll be keeping a close watch on this storm and if necessary, we'll change our route and head down the 75 instead. :)

;) Me too ! We're leaving early Wednesday to drive to FLL to board Oasis on the 30th but I'll be keeping a close watch on this storm and if necessary, we'll change our route and head down the 75 instead. :)

If you aren't leaving until Wednesday the storm will be long gone if it's as predicted. No reason it should affect you.

We are driving from Toronto, Canada to NJ on Sunday for Anthem, which leaves on Monday. Since we are coming from the north I think we should be alright, I have been monitoring weather forecast for the various cities we will drive through along the way and looks like we should only hit the affected area once we are almost there (the last 100 km or so). I am hoping by Sunday evening the major highways will be clear. If the last leg of the drive takes twice as long I am ok with that too.

Hope I am not being too optimistic!

You might be a little optimistic. Being in Toronto you have good snow removal. I'm from Buffalo and moved to Philly. I was amazed when we had a snow storm how many things were closed and how long it took them to clear the roads. If the snow is done by Sunday morning, you should be ok, but if there's ice you may have some problems

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Latest reports are 5-8 in the NY area, much more south and west of us. I'm in NW New Jersey and I think we'll have less than DC, Philly and they reported 24+ inches in Harrisonburg VA (JMU, one of my son's first choices for college in the fall). If NY gets that much and it dies out early enough, they may get flights out on Sunday. But I'm thinking Saturday's flights will be grounded.

Do not even consider driving through the MD/DC/VA area during a snow storm--even a small one. Our TV stations are reporting the accidents and gridlock on the roads last night from a .8 inch snow shower in the DC area.

If we get more than 12" of snow it will be days before they clear all of the streets.

My suggestion would be find an airport west of your location. [out of the path of the storm]. See if you can drive there Sat afternoon and fly to FLA.

Edit: I checked the weather forecast [for what it is worth ] Albany is not expecting any snow. Does your airline fly out of there. Or maybe Syracuse, etc. I know they are a pretty good distance to drive from where you are, but, you would make your cruise.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

I drove through the blizzard of 1996 (maybe 95?) that hit Ohio and surrounding states that December. At that point it was proclaimed to be a 100 year storm. We stopped counting cars in the ditch at 100, and it went up from there.

These states aren't prepared and nor can they handle the levels of snow that fell over that 24hrs. Exit ramps were clogged full of snow, cars were abbandoned in the center of I-75 in Dayton and it was what some would call crazy but I would call a rush. Growing up in the snow belt off of Lake Huron, I have driven through weather where you can't see more than 2 hydro posts away let alone the front of your hood at times, I personally found it to be no big deal. For the locals it was another story.

To cover 200 kms it took about almost 5 hours. Thankfully we had a hotel room prebooked so when we arrived at our nights stop we had a place to stay. Having food, drink, and a place to stay prearranged is the key if you are heading out for the long haul in weather like this. You also have to figure that the cars around you have poor tires, poor drivers and no clue how to drive in real winter weather.

Hopefully your blast down I-75 will be much less uneventfull. At least you are planning/thinking of the worst case situation.

Edited by A&L_Ont

I wouldn't consider driving to FLL since that's the majority of the storm you have to drive through.

I'd try to get flights from the west and drive west. Buffalo/Syracuse/Rochester/Albany. Buffalo is 6 hrs from JFK and have Delta/Jetblue/Southwest direct to FLL.

I drove through the blizzard of 1996 (maybe 95?) that hit Ohio and surrounding states that December. At that point it was proclaimed to be a 100 year storm. We stopped counting cars in the ditch at 100, and it went up from there.

These states aren't prepared and nor can they handle the levels of snow that fell over that 24hrs. Exit ramps were clogged full of snow, cars were abbandoned in the center of I-75 in Dayton and it was what some would call crazy but I would call a rush. Growing up in the snow belt off of Lake Huron, I have driven through weather where you can't see more than 2 hydro posts away let alone the front of your hood at times, I personally found it to be no big deal. For the locals it was another story.

To cover 200 kms it took about almost 5 hours. Thankfully we had a hotel room prebooked so when we arrived at our nights stop we had a place to stay. Having food, drink, and a place to stay prearranged is the key if you are heading out for the long haul in weather like this. You also have to figure that the cars around you have poor tires, poor drivers and no clue how to drive in real winter weather.

Hopefully your blast down I-75 will be much less uneventfull. At least you are planning/thinking of the worst case situation.

Thanks Andrew! That's my OCD personality kicking in... prepare for the worst. I thought I was being smart not booking any hotels for the journey down (except in Florida) so if there is some kind of freak storm and we need to stop for the night, we're not committed to being in a specific booked hotel which might still be hundreds of miles away when we feel we should stop, if it's too bad. By hook or by crook we'll be on that ship! haha ;)

I appreciate all the input. I almost was able to make a change to a Friday flight, but it didn't work out. Driving into the teeth of the storm makes no sense to me. Going to Albany or other cities was considered, but we decided not to do that for various personal reasons. We're staying put with our Saturday and Sunday reservations and hoping it will work out. If not, we plan to fly directly to Jamaica Monday morning, spend 2 days at a resort on the insurance companies dime and join the cruise Wednesday and enjoy 11 days on the Allure.

I recently saw a forecast on CNN that mentioned only 2 inches in the NY area. Obviously that's just a guess and high winds and planes coming from other areas also will affect our flights, but we decided to see what happens and play it by ear.

Rich

I appreciate all the input. I almost was able to make a change to a Friday flight, but it didn't work out. Driving into the teeth of the storm makes no sense to me. Going to Albany or other cities was considered, but we decided not to do that for various personal reasons. We're staying put with our Saturday and Sunday reservations and hoping it will work out. If not, we plan to fly directly to Jamaica Monday morning, spend 2 days at a resort on the insurance companies dime and join the cruise Wednesday and enjoy 11 days on the Allure.

I recently saw a forecast on CNN that mentioned only 2 inches in the NY area. Obviously that's just a guess and high winds and planes coming from other areas also will affect our flights, but we decided to see what happens and play it by ear.

Rich

I hope that it works out. Keep us posted on your journey. I hope you make it safe and sound and that all works out.

Rich

Good luck, Rich! Hope it all works out for you and wishing you a fantastic cruise. :)

12 inches for DC Balt Richmond. Can't go around. Starting Fri early and ending Sat night. Go Fri morning, drive like you stole it ant hit the snow at Richmond. But NE-Snow and-Delay don't go together . My wife is a NY Italian who says everyone eats snow in NY. CSX will keep the tracks open, my nephew is a conductor for them so Amtrak will run with delays. Take it. I'd say get on the early one and get out, 1-3 inches Fri by 5Pm in DC and up to 12 inches overnight into Sat morning.

Thank you so much for this post. We are on Amtrak on Saturday from Buffalo to New York and I was worried about how that trip would go. We sail on Monday out of Bayonn . Delays I can handle. 😀

Thank you so much for this post. We are on Amtrak on Saturday from Buffalo to New York and I was worried about how that trip would go. We sail on Monday out of Bayonn . Delays I can handle.

Just curious have you done this before? What is involved at the border? Where do you get off Amtrak in N.Y City? We are from Niagara area, and have thought to make this cruise port in the future.

Stay safe everyone meeting ships this week-end. Happy Sailing! :)

Edited by evelyn51

Just in case you need another option. Jet Blue flies direct to FLL from Stewart Airport in Newburgh NY which is only about 1 1/2 hours from LI. Great little airport and there's no snow in their forecast. 7:30 am flights Sat and Sun mornings have seats available and would get you to FLL by 11am.