Late Alaska Sailing to Glacier Bay

rayandshirl

We have sailed to Alaska several times and taken the Denali, Fairbanks trip as well. We have always sailed in May or June.

Due to upcoming chemo treatments, we have had to change our June 30 sailing to September 8th.

If you've sailed to Alaska at this late date, could you please tell me if you still saw any whales? The cabins are almost sold out so I know we won't be alone on the ship!

Thank you.

We've cruised up to Alaska 8 times, 7 of which were in Sept -- went as late as Sept 16-26 one time. We have seen whales on every single trip in Alaska -- many times, right off the side or the back of the ship ... not even on a tour.

We even saw a grizzly on our Sept cruise, however that was up in the area of Sitka and Icy Strait Point.

The one time we went up in May, we saw the salmon running ... heck, there were so many salmon you couldn't even see the water. In Sept, there may be a few but nothing like earlier in the season.

PS -- we thought it was just us but with all our cruises up to Alaska, all of which were off season, we've only had rain to contend with on one cruise ... and that was the late Sept one. Still a great cruise...just not as sunny as the other ones.

We have sailed to Alaska several times and taken the Denali, Fairbanks trip as well. We have always sailed in May or June.

Due to upcoming chemo treatments, we have had to change our June 30 sailing to September 8th.

If you've sailed to Alaska at this late date, could you please tell me if you still saw any whales? The cabins are almost sold out so I know we won't be alone on the ship!

Thank you.

In 2011 we sailed a 10 day round trip on Sea Princess from SF - Alaska. We had fantastic weather (the locals kept shaking their heads over it because it was tee shirt weather). The trip was from September 7th - 17th so it was pretty late in the year. We did indeed see whales. :D

Note: It was not tee shirt weather in Glacier Bay.

Edited by Thrak

We were the last southbound cruise from Whittier to Vancouver a few years ago. We saw whales both on an excursion (Orca Enterprises) in Juneau and on the ship while sailing. As far as bears, we took the "evening wildlife excursion" while in Skagway. This was a ship's excursion. We saw lots of bears as well as otters and eagles.

Thank you.

September is a GREAT time to sail to Alaska. Quite a few whales (although often on the other side of the ship). Whale viewing in Juneau was good with Orca Enterprises. Lots of bears gorging for winter in Denali (take the Tundra Wilderness Tour). Out of two visits we saw Denali twice. On one visit temperature was 72 in Fairbanks mid-September. All the shops are running big sales to get rid of merchandise. The big advantage is far fewer ships in each port and fewer people on the land tour.

Yes whales are seen the entire cruise ship season. In fact- take a look at the annual Sitka Whale Fest, in November.

The big difference is daylight, which isn't my preference for this time frame. Also, these cruises used to be given away, now there is little discount.

We went a few years ago in late July and saw lots of whales. They were seen in excursions and while cruising along side of the ship.

Please note that the OP asked about a Sept 8 sailing. Data for late July is meaningless for the OP.

DON

If this were me, my question would be, is this still the prime time to see the bears??? Is the Salmon run over well before this?

September is later than "I" would be comfortable with for the bears... That is because "I" am going to invest $2,000 (2 ports) in flight seeing tours to see them. Because of that I am going late July/Early August.

Edited by TheCalicoCat

If this were me, my question would be, is this still the prime time to see the bears??? Is the Salmon run over well before this?

You will see as many whales as in June-August. The salmon run starts in late August and most of the salmon return to the rivers in Sept and Oct. The nature trail at the Mendenhall Glacier, you can see bear feeding on salmon on the boardwalk, right below you. In the Ketchikan River, walk up the river 3 or 4 blocks and you can see Bears if you can stand the stench from the dead salmon along the river bank.