no more prepaid gratuities required with open dining

thecruise_guy

Has this been ABSOLUTELY confirmed? No more prepaying gratuities for Select Dining,

Hi, I spoke to Celebrity UK yesterday and they said that it is only a proposal at this stage and as such has not come into force - however - she did say that it is likely that it will come in within the next couple of months...

I think this thread has caused a LOT of misunderstanding!

The only change supposedly coming is to those who book Select dining.

AND the only change is to WHEN the gratuities are charged and paid, not IF.

Currently if you have Select your gratuities are pre-paid before the cruise (as your cruise fare is).

Those of us in traditional dining have the gratuities charged to our onboard accounts on a daily basis. The change means that those in Select will also have the gratuities charged to their onboard accounts on a daily basis.

The main advantage is for people with a lot of OBC. The OBC can be used towards the gratuity charge. If gratuities had been paid in advance you couldn't use your OBC towards them.

If you have signed up for a package with included gratuities then your OBCs can be used for other things.

Thanks for clarifying.

What I've always wondered is why the cruiselines don't just bind the gratuities into the overall trip price and still pay out their crew the same money? If it raises trip prices slightly then so be it. But then it eliminates all of this pre-pay/pay on board or the possibility of cheapskates trying to remove the tips.

Agree 100% the complainers are all looking for a way to stiff on tipping. On a TA just sit a bit by guest services to see/hear the excuses why tips should be removed...sad...sad...sad

For the life of me, I will NEVER understand how some people can complain about tipping around $175 for two, while spending thousands for the cruise. :rolleyes:

I have never gotten such bad service on any cruise where I felt the removal of tips were warranted. If your service is that bad, then it may not be the staff who are doing the serving being the root of the problem....

Just my 2¢.

Edited by K.T.B.

We just upgraded to Aqua on Sept cruise from 1B fixed dining. We did not have to pay gratuities in advance for the fixed dining but were told that we DID need to prepay gratuities for Blu. We just used one of our perks for "paid gratuities" and we are done.

Can we still adjust these up/down at end of cruise depending on our service?

You were given very bad info. You do not have to prepay tips in Blu for future reference. It is a question that is very common with Blu patrons. Blu is totally anytime dining and because of this people and TAs get confused and think you have to prepay. It is actually a computer thing that has existed for several years with Celebrity. All you have to do is tell them you want traditional dining and you don't have to prepay. This is important for those who have OBC and is just a computer problem but the most asked question on this board regarding Blu since Celebrity introduced it.

Thanks for clarifying.

What I've always wondered is why the cruiselines don't just bind the gratuities into the overall trip price and still pay out their crew the same money? If it raises trip prices slightly then so be it. But then it eliminates all of this pre-pay/pay on board or the possibility of cheapskates trying to remove the tips.

Problem with that is that people will then start tipping and the whole discussion will start over in a few years. Been tried and failed.

So much confusion, misinformation, and stigmatizing regarding the purported change to eliminate prepaid gratuities. The only significant difference that will result, if in fact Celebrity institutes the change, will be that cruisers who pick or get assigned select dining will no longer be required to pay upfront the total amount of recommended gratuities as part of final payment. This change will not mean that gratuities will be arbitrarily left to the discretion of select diners and permit them to avoid addressing gratuities. Recommended gratuities will still be charged to accounts on a daily basis just as they would have been if select dining was not involved.

Regarding posts here that have stated that those who have had issue with the pre-paid gratuities are trying to stiff the cruise staff on tips is a bunch of hogwash and is offensive to those who have raised matter. Anyone who wanted to stiff the cruise staff, whether traditional diner or select diner, has always had the option to request that tips be taken off their account. Prepaid or post-paid has nothing to do with being a deadbeat. The matter has been about the inability of select diners to use their non-refundable OBC for paying their gratuities, not avoiding them. And since many, many cruisers over the past couple of years that have been getting sizeable Celebrity OBC perks as part of their bookings and being offered no choice except select dining at time of booking, it became apparent that this was a devise by Celebrity to reduce the effective value of the OBC, and in turn their costs, by restricting its usage for paying gratuities. Gratuities are a 100% cost item to the cruise line. Pretty much anything else that OBC can be applied to represents only a fractional marginal cost for them, ranging anywhere from low single digit % to the mid double digit % range. No wonder they would rather not have sizeable OBC perks to being used against gratuities.

So, we shall see what the future brings. My hypothesis is that if Celebrity does change the pre-paid gratuity policy for select dining that they will also reduce the the amounts on OBC offered as part of their bonus booking offerings. Up until now their offers have typically included separate choices between drink package, OBC and pre-paid gratuities. The face values of the drink package (standard) and OBC have both pretty much exceeded prepaid gratuities for a cabin of two by $100 give or take. So those have undoubtedly been the two most popular picks among the three. But... up to now Celebrity figured out a way to reduce the real value (or at least out of pocket to them cost) for the OBC by mandating a large number of cruisers (those in select dining) not be able to apply the OBC towards gratuities.

Now, if the enforced pre-payment is dropped, I would not be surprised to see Celebrity drop the amounts of unrestricted use OBC to compensate for the likelihood that many will choose to apply that OBC to their gratuities. The real question is how much they might drop the OBC amounts they offer up. I would think the amount might drop to the equivalent, or less, of what recommended gratuities are for two guests in a stateroom that qualifies for OBC.

So much confusion, misinformation, and stigmatizing regarding the purported change to eliminate prepaid gratuities. The only significant difference that will result, if in fact Celebrity institutes the change, will be that cruisers who pick or get assigned select dining will no longer be required to pay upfront the total amount of recommended gratuities as part of final payment. This change will not mean that gratuities will be arbitrarily left to the discretion of select diners and permit them to avoid addressing gratuities. Recommended gratuities will still be charged to accounts on a daily basis just as they would have been if select dining was not involved.

Regarding posts here that have stated that those who have had issue with the pre-paid gratuities are trying to stiff the cruise staff on tips is a bunch of hogwash and is offensive to those who have raised matter. Anyone who wanted to stiff the cruise staff, whether traditional diner or select diner, has always had the option to request that tips be taken off their account. Prepaid or post-paid has nothing to do with being a deadbeat. The matter has been about the inability of select diners to use their non-refundable OBC for paying their gratuities, not avoiding them. And since many, many cruisers over the past couple of years that have been getting sizeable Celebrity OBC perks as part of their bookings and being offered no choice except select dining at time of booking, it became apparent that this was a devise by Celebrity to reduce the effective value of the OBC, and in turn their costs, by restricting its usage for paying gratuities. Gratuities are a 100% cost item to the cruise line. Pretty much anything else that OBC can be applied to represents only a fractional marginal cost for them, ranging anywhere from low single digit % to the mid double digit % range. No wonder they would rather not have sizeable OBC perks to being used against gratuities.

So, we shall see what the future brings. My hypothesis is that if Celebrity does change the pre-paid gratuity policy for select dining that they will also reduce the the amounts on OBC offered as part of their bonus booking offerings. Up until now their offers have typically included separate choices between drink package, OBC and pre-paid gratuities. The face values of the drink package (standard) and OBC have both pretty much exceeded prepaid gratuities for a cabin of two by $100 give or take. So those have undoubtedly been the two most popular picks among the three. But... up to now Celebrity figured out a way to reduce the real value (or at least out of pocket to them cost) for the OBC by mandating a large number of cruisers (those in select dining) not be able to apply the OBC towards gratuities.

Now, if the enforced pre-payment is dropped, I would not be surprised to see Celebrity drop the amounts of unrestricted use OBC to compensate for the likelihood that many will choose to apply that OBC to their gratuities. The real question is how much they might drop the OBC amounts they offer up. I would think the amount might drop to the equivalent, or less, of what recommended gratuities are for two guests in a stateroom that qualifies for OBC.

In my opinion, you have some valid points. However have you considered that the cruise prices have increased as they increase the perks to offset each other.

The reason I say that is my booked cabin in a Jan 2017 cruise increased by approximately the same value of the second perk they recently added.

Additionally have you noticed they've added a standard (lower quality) liquor package? I expect the new perk will beome standard instead of classic thus saving X more money.

All I see X doing is the ole shell game so the non informed cruisers (people unfamiliar with Cruise Critic) are so confused that they make a decision more favorable to Celebrity.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Just wondering if Celebrity has changed their venue for the final night on the cruise. Last one we were on (Feb. 2015), the last night was a non-event. Is this their new practice, if so we will dine in a specialty restaurant on the last night. We used to enjoy the extra effort Celebrity put in for the last night. It seems that they are changing quite a few extra perks they had, such as the sea day buffet which was really great. If anyone knows why this has been stopped as well, we would really like to know the reason. Thank you

In my opinion, you have some valid points. However have you considered that the cruise prices have increased as they increase the perks to offset each other.

The reason I say that is my booked cabin in a Jan 2017 cruise increased by approximately the same value of the second perk they recently added.

Additionally have you noticed they've added a standard (lower quality) liquor package? I expect the new perk will beome standard instead of classic thus saving X more money.

All I see X doing is the ole shell game so the non informed cruisers (people unfamiliar with Cruise Critic) are so confused that they make a decision more favorable to Celebrity.

Good observations.

Yes it is pretty obvious that the cost of supposed free perks - drinks, OBC, gratutities, etc. - have been built into Celebrity's cabin pricing structure. It all comes down to creativity on their part to maximize profit (realistic business objective) by increasing revenue while figuring out where thy can reduce expense/cost (another realistic business objective). The calculation they have to make is when does the combination of these two begin to disaffect their clientele. Increases in pricing, direct or indirect, coupled with diminution in quality of service can not be unlimited. There has to a point of inelasticity where potential customers will simply not bite. I'm not thinking they are that point yet, and perhaps they are still quite some way off before they might get there.

We still like their product a lot and haven't been particularly put off by changes we have seen on recent cruises, though pricing may start to become one. I do think their move to push the all-inclusive approach has pluses, but also negatives. The primary negative I see is that the move towards all-inclusive pricing has decreased transparency in the cost for basic cruising and increased the complexity for purchasers to deduce the relative values of their offerings. Like you stated, "the ole shell game so the non informed cruisers (people unfamiliar with Cruise Critic) are so confused that they make a decision more favorable to Celebrity."

Just wondering if Celebrity has changed their venue for the final night on the cruise. Last one we were on (Feb. 2015), the last night was a non-event. Is this their new practice, if so we will dine in a specialty restaurant on the last night. We used to enjoy the extra effort Celebrity put in for the last night. It seems that they are changing quite a few extra perks they had, such as the sea day buffet which was really great. If anyone knows why this has been stopped as well, we would really like to know the reason. Thank you

We've been cruising with Celebrity since 1999, and the last evening has always been very low key. The second to last evening was usually a Formal evening. Maybe that is what you remember.

We've been cruising with Celebrity since 1999, and the last evening has always been very low key. The second to last evening was usually a Formal evening. Maybe that is what you remember.

I think you are correct. Last night is busy from the standpoint that all luggage needs to be packed up and set out for pickup before 11:00pm. I think the last fancy, formal night was the preceding night. No more formal nights so does it really matter anyway?

The last night they used to invite all the dining staff to the front and introduce them, and usually had a special desert. No big deal, but was just wondering. I agree the last night is a busy night with packing and all. thanks for your reply

I would not call us experienced cruisers as we have completed only two Celebrity and one Oceania cruises. Celebrity, we had traditional dinning and Oceania only has any time dinning. All three cruises we were fortunate to have from our travel agent pre-paid gratuities. With Celebrity we had the 123 packages.

Both Celebrity cruises we had the same waite staff and the last night tipped them additional cash as we did for our room staff. On Oceania we never saw the same waite staff twice, which we did not like. We have just booked another Celebrity cruise for 2017 the other day and the on line travel agent informed me they only are currently offering select dinning, the traditional dinning appeared to be full. I found this strange as the cruise we just came off from we had the 8:30 seating and the room was half full/half empty every night. We had heard select was a real problem where people were waiting on long lines and it was over crowded.

I'm am a little confused with all the above talk about select dinning and tipping. On our next cruise we are receiving classic beverage package, pre-paid gratuities and additional shipboard credit. With select dinning am I to understand my pre-paid gratuities takes care of that dinning.

I liked the suggestion from someone here that you request the same area each night so you might get the same dinning staff. I would like to give additional tipping on the last night to a familiar waite staff. I am in concierge class and maybe I would receive preferred setting.

We did select dining on our last celebrity cruise and in addition to the pre paid tips we tipped in cash on the last night as we had been seated at the same table or at least in the same section every night.

We had the same wait staff every night. We did request that which sometimes meant we had to let another party go before us when the next table became free, but we prefer to have a rapport with staff and also refer select dining so it worked well for us.