Global Entry System

KirkNC

Bcnvcanada is correct. Foreign carriers are not participating airlines so have no access to the PreCheck program. Now if you start your trip on a participating airline, say for example American Airlines, and fly to a major US hub like Dallas to catch say a British Airways flight you should get PreCheck unless randomly non-selected. Conversely if you get yourself to Dallas to board a British Airways flight you won't get PreCheck as BA is not a participating airline. To the best of my knowledge Air Canada is the only participating non-US airline.

Darn! Come to think of it, BA told me that over the phone, but I thought we were misunderstanding each other.

We are having our interviews tomorrow at Orlando. Do they not advise you almost immediately thereafter that you have been approved? Or is it that you won't know until the card arrives? It was my understanding that once approved, and before the card arrives, that the approval is digitally sent to your passport. No?

They tell you immediately if you are approved but it has nothing to do with your passport.

We are having our interviews tomorrow at Orlando. Do they not advise you almost immediately thereafter that you have been approved? Or is it that you won't know until the card arrives? It was my understanding that once approved, and before the card arrives, that the approval is digitally sent to your passport. No?

They will tell you at the interview you are approved, before you even get to your car after the interview you will have the email from GE. BTW your number is already assigned and it is the number starting in 98. Both at my interview and my husbands they told us we really do not need the cards but you will get them anyway. Mine arrived exactly a week from the interview and DH had his interview last Wednesday and his card was in the mail this past Monday. My interview last less than 5 minutes. But then I applied on a Saturday night on line and on Sunday afternoon I got my approval. Obviously the computer liked me :D DH too a few days for his approval.

They tell you immediately if you are approved but it has nothing to do with your passport.

Actually at the interview the digitally apply your approval and Known Traveler number. At my interview was a lady that forgot her passport and her husband and to drive to the airport to bring it to her. They do scan your passport and that is applying the information to the passport.

In spite of how they market GE, GE does not guarantee you TSA Pre. Most times you will get it but don't be surprised (like we were) the first time they send you to the regular lines. Read the fine print at the GE website as well as at TSA.gov.

It's really less of an interview than it is an opportunity for TSA to verify you are you. Nothing is sent to your passport, though they will scan it at the interview along with your D/L.

My DW reports that the card sent in the mail can be used as your ID at TSA PreCheck.

Of course. That makes sense. We will be returning from Southampton via the QM2, so we will be going through immigration and customs in Brooklyn.

Take your GE card with you. I haven't personally experienced it but I believe many cruise terminals have an express Immigration and Customs line for GE holders (in lieu of a kiosk), and I believe you need a card to prove eligibility.

One thing I've been trying to figure out. I'm not GE directly but get GE privileges as a NEXUS card holder. I'm wondering if my NEXUS card will get me to that line in lieu of a GE card.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
misspelling

Just got back from my New Zealand and Australia cruise on the Noordam.

Global entry works in both New Zealand and Australia. They have kiosks there similar to the ones in the US and you skip the lines and use the kiosks if you have US global entry.

Nothing is sent to your passport, though they will scan it at the interview along with your D/L.

But see #154, which says that it is sent to your passport. There was also an earlier posting a few weeks ago that also said that. So, who is correct?

But see #154, which says that it is sent to your passport. There was also an earlier posting a few weeks ago that also said that. So, who is correct?

They are likely linking the numbers in their system by reading your passport. The RFID chip in your passport is "read-only".

With Global entry you scan your passport at the kiosk and it reads your fingerprints (which they collect during the face to face interview). You do not need the card they send for the kiosks. The card is necessary to use the fast lanes when entering the US via car/foot from Canada and Mexico.

Because no one has the ability to "send" anything to your passport. There's no receiver built in - what a security nightmare that would be!

In spite of how they market GE, GE does not guarantee you TSA Pre. Most times you will get it but don't be surprised (like we were) the first time they send you to the regular lines. Read the fine print at the GE website as well as at TSA.gov.

Just wondering. Did you record your trusted traveler number on your airline reservation?. Otherwise, the boarding pass would not have TSA Precheck printed. TSA agent is looking for precheck on the boarding pass.

Random also does occur.... :(

Dennis

Just wondering. Did you record your trusted traveler number on your airline reservation?. Otherwise, the boarding pass would not have TSA Precheck printed. TSA agent is looking for precheck on the boarding pass.

Random also does occur.... :(

Dennis

I put my TSA # in when I do the checkin which I do online before I get to the airport.

For cruising, I carry my GE card in case it's needed for them (it was at Ft. Lauderdale's cruise terminal). I've found that the GE card isn't needed when entering the US at airports.

Because no one has the ability to "send" anything to your passport. There's no receiver built in - what a security nightmare that would be!

Figure of speech. From what I understand, the info is sent to your passport number, and that is possible. Once the passport number is plugged into their computers, I suppose this GLE info is shown.

Figure of speech. From what I understand, the info is sent to your passport number, and that is possible. Once the passport number is plugged into their computers, I suppose this GLE info is shown.

No, it isn't tied to your passport. That's why you're given another number, a known traveler number (KTN) which is how an airline knows your status. If you don't enter the KTN, even though you do enter your passport #, no TSA-pre for you....

Depending on the airline / on-line travel agency, you can post your KNT in your personal profile and it will automatically be applied to current & future reservations.

In other cases where this isn't an available feature on the site you need to apply your KTN when you check-in online or at the airport check-in facilities. Always check your boarding pass for the "TSA pre" noted on the print out. If it does not show be sure to stop by the check-in desk at the airport.

And, as mentioned, you really only need the card at border crossings (via walking or driving).

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob :)

No, it isn't tied to your passport. That's why you're given another number, a known traveler number (KTN) which is how an airline knows your status. If you don't enter the KTN, even though you do enter your passport #, no TSA-pre for you....

I do believe Dave is correct, the passport is used in the initial process to confirm identity and probably for a background check.

Global Entry is great when it works. Entry is only for US entry. None of the other countries honor it (Canada and Australia do not for sure). At LAX we were misdirected to a line for non-Global Entry. When I mentioned the fact we had Global Entry, the fellow who checked us in said he had never heard of it! He was a Customs and Border Patrol agent. The LAX Global Entry line is through the customs area--no signs. It is worth it for pre-check here in the US.

We just returned to US from our Australian Cruise. We landed in LAX in Terminal 2 on a Qantas 380 airbus. An united flight and a delta flight from Sydney landed at the same time so they were long lines everywhere including Immigration. We had a 2 1/2 hour window to get on our American Airline flight which was in Terminal 6. We needed to get through immigration, pick up our luggage, get through customs, find where we had to recheck our luggage, get to another terminal and go through security to get to our new gate in a different terminal. It was chaotic with so many people from 3 jumbo jets trying to do the same thing. Thank goodness we had global entry and TSA precheck. We were directed to the immigration lines but I saw the machines for global entry and we walked over and used them. We moved with a purpose but just made our American Airline flight, it was somewhat nerve wracking and we were sure that either us or our bags were not going to make our flight. We actually ran to terminal 6.

Well, it is called "Global Entry," not "Global Outry." ;)

There is no, nor do I expect there ever will be an international version of this as that is the same as a country farming out security.

Just went yesterday for our interview and specifically asking about any link between the TTN and our passport. There is none, which is why it is necessary to have your TTN on your ticket and boarding pass. Since there was some conflicting posts about the passport and TTN being linked, I was confused.

I returned from Australia on Tuesday flying into SFO. Using Global Entry I was through in less than 2 minutes. Unfortunately my bag was one of the last to baggage claim 45 minutes later.

FYI for those traveling to Australia: Any US passport (not just with Global Entry) can be used in the passport scanners at Australian immigration allowing you to bypass the lines to see an immigration official. Works great and is very fast.

• 2 months later...

Here's some information most should find useful.

Wife and I applied for GOES 23 May 2016.

Received emails today time stamped at 4:10 AM that we should check in to our account as the status had changed.

Both applications were approved.

Take away points:

Applications took 19 days, including weekends, to approve.

Received the email notification on a Saturday so they do process on weekends.

Now we need to schedule appointments.