Is this fair

lenbest

I wonder if anyone could me help regarding my future cruise booking made with a UK TA. When I go to make the booking in the UK a deposit is required of several hundreds of pounds and is non refundable at any point, also if I book a guarantee cabin this cannot be changed. However Americans booking the same cruise do not have this stipulation and can cancel with a full refund up to about the 90 day departure point. Also if they book a guarantee cabin they are allowed to change if other cabins are available. The situation now is that we are not booking on the same terms as our American friends, booking some of the best cabins knowing they can cancel and if they book a guarantee cabin then that can be changed .To make matters even worse is if the price drops then even that is matched. What chance have UK cruisers got we are always going to get the worst cabin as the cruise lines know we cannot change.-or do I have it all wrong and this is not the case

Fair has nothing to do with anything. The rules there are indeed different and put you at a big disadvantage. I know some find ways to book with TAs outside the UK. A question - Who made the UK "rule"? I know it is also similar to what we do in the USA other places.

I wonder if anyone could me help regarding my future cruise booking made with a UK TA. When I go to make the booking in the UK a deposit is required of several hundreds of pounds and is non refundable at any point, also if I book a guarantee cabin this cannot be changed. However Americans booking the same cruise do not have this stipulation and can cancel with a full refund up to about the 90 day departure point. Also if they book a guarantee cabin they are allowed to change if other cabins are available. The situation now is that we are not booking on the same terms as our American friends, booking some of the best cabins knowing they can cancel and if they book a guarantee cabin then that can be changed .To make matters even worse is if the price drops then even that is matched. What chance have UK cruisers got we are always going to get the worst cabin as the cruise lines know we cannot change.-or do I have it all wrong and this is not the case

You have certain rights with your cruises that we don't have, that is the trade off you pay for it, contact your elected officials, its not Celebrity's fault.

This is a 'common' question/complaint amongst UK/EU passengers, I recommend you check with your Consumer Commission or Travel Board to answer this, as they will be more knowledgeable as to the reasons these policies are in place.

Then you will be able to come back and make a Sticky about it for all to read and know.

bon voyage

You're quite right in what you're saying. We found this out while booking our last cruise while on the Eclipse in 2014. At that time we were reading the ship's adverts re booking for only $100 but once you let on you're from UK the deposit changes to £300 (non refundable)!

It doesn't seem fair at all, I agree. In fact with the US folk paying only $100, that's also refundable, it's no surprise that some people on CC have 4 or 5 upcoming cruises as their signatures!! There's no risk.

I've heard about Brits booking through US agents but it's not all that easy. Some won't even deal with you when they know you're from UK

Part of this may be to the increased risk the cruise line faces under the UK package travel regulations. One key element of that regulations is that a passenger can make claims against the cruise line if they do not receive "the precise accommodation, standard of accommodation and accommodation facilities" that they contracted for. In the US we are not covered by such regulation. That means that if the cabin is changed the cruise line would have to maintain additional documentation that the changes were made with the passengers request and approval, otherwise the passenger could make a claim that what they received was not what they originally contracted for. Their computer systems are not set up to maintain that documentation and since it would need to stand up to legal challenge they would probably need to maintain paper records. Much easier for them just to refuse changes and make sure only one room is identified on paperwork sent to the passenger.

There are also increased risk that the cruise line faces concerning other areas as well.

I would not be surprised if the potential liabilities associated with the PTR also impacts the deposit requirements, in order to minimize changes and cancellations which also have some associated risk if not properly documented.

Edited by RDC1

There are different consumer regulations, tax laws, costs of doing business in different countries. Those costs have to be borne by someone and the strategy of the cruise lines is to pass those costs along to the consumers in those countries.

An example of when it works was the volcanic ash episode of a few years ago. People who booked under U.K. regulations and whose cruise was impacted were provided alternate flights, and accommodation, no cost to them. North Americans were able to fend for themselves.

I suppose, the cruise lines could impose the same rules across the whole Market, having a no deposit refund policy for North Americans, but as they don't have the same cost structure as the U.K. and E.U. markets, how would this then be fair ?

If you don't think your costs are "fair" the people you want to have address this are the people who pass your consumer protections laws. The cruise lines are only recovering their costs.

This is a classic example of "unintended consequences". Elected officials love to pass laws and rules that feel good. In your case they have put all kinds of protections in place for you that sounded good and feel good. Unfortunately, you now see the flip side of these rules. The old saying is "you get what you pay for". Someone here on CC was just complaining that due to weather their ship was boarding a day late and Royal Caribbean was not offering any compensation because no ports would be missed. I'm pretty sure with your rules had that person booked from the UK this would be illegal. In your case your government is offering you "free" travel insurance. You can now see what "free" is costing you.

This is a classic example of "unintended consequences". Elected officials love to pass laws and rules that feel good. In your case they have put all kinds of protections in place for you that sounded good and feel good. Unfortunately, you now see the flip side of these rules. The old saying is "you get what you pay for". Someone here on CC was just complaining that due to weather their ship was boarding a day late and Royal Caribbean was not offering any compensation because no ports would be missed. I'm pretty sure with your rules had that person booked from the UK this would be illegal. In your case your government is offering you "free" travel insurance. You can now see what "free" is costing you.

Actually what the passenger gets is transport back home if the tour organiser goes down while you are on vacation. The scheme provides funds so that you are not left abandoned overseas with no resources to get back home.

If you don't like the uk conditions the us ta are very willing to do business but unless you transfer cash into the booking currency at the time of booking you have the exposure to changes in exchange rate.when I booked the cruise I am doing next month the rate was £1 to $1.70, now it is £1 to $1.38 which would make the holiday 20% dearer than when we originally booked it.

Both systems have their merits and faults. We use US when they have deals we can't get and the cost otherwise is similar, but often the UK deals are better. You need to do the comparisons at the time.

I invariably book through a US online TA or onboard. My next Celebrity cruise was booked on my last X cruise and I only paid £89 deposit, fully refundable. Received obc for the cruise I was on as well as obc for the new cruise, plus tips included and a free drinks package. A complete no brainer.

Booked other cruises, Cunard and RCL with online TA in the US and always get obc and tips paid.

Edited by Deeliteful

You do realize life is by no means fair

There are different consumer regulations, tax laws, costs of doing business in different countries. Those costs have to be borne by someone and the strategy of the cruise lines is to pass those costs along to the consumers in those countries.

An example of when it works was the volcanic ash episode of a few years ago. People who booked under U.K. regulations and whose cruise was impacted were provided alternate flights, and accommodation, no cost to them. North Americans were able to fend for themselves.

I suppose, the cruise lines could impose the same rules across the whole Market, having a no deposit refund policy for North Americans, but as they don't have the same cost structure as the U.K. and E.U. markets, how would this then be fair ?

If you don't think your costs are "fair" the people you want to have address this are the people who pass your consumer protections laws. The cruise lines are only recovering their costs.

This is EXACTLY the reason for this policy, UK AND EU laws stipulate a cruise line must feed, house and transport pax back to the port of origin should problems arise, US law does not require this so UK and EU pax are a MUCH larger risk than a US pax so there fore just like insurance, the larger the risk the more you pay....personally I LOVE this as it clearly demonstrates the cost of living in a nanny state.....

Actually what the passenger gets is transport back home if the tour organiser goes down while you are on vacation. The scheme provides funds so that you are not left abandoned overseas with no resources to get back home.

If you don't like the uk conditions the us ta are very willing to do business but unless you transfer cash into the booking currency at the time of booking you have the exposure to changes in exchange rate.when I booked the cruise I am doing next month the rate was £1 to $1.70, now it is £1 to $1.38 which would make the holiday 20% dearer than when we originally booked it.

Both systems have their merits and faults. We use US when they have deals we can't get and the cost otherwise is similar, but often the UK deals are better. You need to do the comparisons at the time.

I have an upcoming cruise where the folks over on you side of the pond got free drink packages and those of us on this side did not. I have a feeling that I'll be sailing with some tipsy Brit's. :p

I forgot to add that I LOVE LOVE LOVE being able to book MANY cruises with $100 or LESS deposits to ensure I get the cabin I like and/or perks I want and then canceling at will with a full refund those I decide not to do...... :D

Edited by SheriffJoe

I have an upcoming cruise where the folks over on you side of the pond got free drink packages and those of us on this side did not. I have a feeling that I'll be sailing with some tipsy Brit's. :p

And the reverse of this is that the cruises we too in February and March 2014 were booked via the US to take advantage of the drink packages that were not available in the UK at that time. Your current go big, better best promo is not running here yet now but we have a buy one get one half price offer just now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've heard about Brits booking through US agents but it's not all that easy. Some won't even deal with you when they know you're from UK

Unsure why you are finding it difficult, many UK pax book through US TAs :confused:. Check both sides of the pond to see where the better deal lies and ask other pax for TA recommendations when at the Connections party ;).

Yes, just like those UK pax that had Israel removed from their itineraries at the last minute - they were not offered any compensation (only heard of 1 on this site that was offered cancellation). Or the Aqua pax that have had the daily water removed from their original booking - even though it's still advertised on the UK site.

If you pay with your credit card and are sufficiently insured, the cover you receive is probably more than those 'included' rules. And we certainly don't get 'free' travel insurance as you quoted above (the added cover is minimal and can't be considered in the decision process of purchasing insurance)! All of our TAs sell travel insurance when booking any holiday and strongly recommend that you take it. It's very unusual for UK pax not to have any additional travel insurance over here when going on vacation. Also, we do not have the option of 'any cancellation' insurance as you do in the States. It's basically for repatriation and medical expenses.

TAs over here take the funds when booking a cruise, unlike in the US where it's taken directly by the cruise company. One of those additional charges is to ensure that if the TA goes bust, then your holiday is covered. Again, you're paying extra to keep your money safe from poor business management. And all of the above only applies if you book a 'package' - it doesn't apply if you only purchase an individual segment of your vacation.

Even with the not so favourable exchange rate, by the time I have added in all of the additional perks I obtain by booking in the US, I'm still better off. One other point, I would never book a guarantee in the UK, too much of a risk compared to booking in the US ;).

Strangely I have Atol certificates covering the 4 cruise only holidays I have booked over the coming years.

ATOL is for air travel, quote from their website:

'By law, every UK travel company which sells air holidays and flights is required to hold an ATOL, which stands for Air Travel Organiser’s Licence.

If a travel company with an ATOL ceases trading, the ATOL scheme protects customers who had booked holidays with the firm. It ensures they do not get stranded abroad or lose money.

The scheme is designed to reassure consumers that their money is safe, and will provide assistance in the event of a travel company failure.'

So unsure if you're not flying how it operates :confused:. Clearly states that it's for air holidays and flights??

Additionally, it also states:

'What situations does ATOL cover?

ATOL protection applies to virtually any overseas air holiday booked with a UK travel company. The law says your holiday must be protected if you book a holiday with a single travel firm that includes:

flights and accommodation (including a cruise), or

flights and car hire, or

flights, accommodation and car hire.'

Note the combination of items booked from a 'single' travel firm.

Edited by villauk

We (in Australia) have pretty hefty cancelation policies too.

On my October cruise they dropped Istanbul from the itinerary. MANY people dropped out before final payment.

We Aussies got an amazing deal on that cruise. It only lasted a few days before doubling in price.

I usually book last minute so usually have to pay in full when booking.

There are many discrepancies between countries. You can get around some and just have to put up with the rest.