Nieuw Amsterdam current Internet pricing

shrimpboat123

We are on the Jan 24th and Jan 31st sailing with two booking numbers.

They are offering unlimited internet for $249. Doesn't seem to matter what the duration. The keyword is until you "disembark ".

Hope this picture comes through listing the options and prices.

8fe3264f7961326d9dba5526c46a610e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's how it worked on my four consecutive Nieuw Amsterdam cruises last October/November. The cruises were 12, 7, 7, and 13 days. Same price for unlimited for any or all of those cruises.

Seemed a little strange to me that 7 or 39 days would be the same amount, but that's the way it worked.

That's how it worked on my four consecutive Nieuw Amsterdam cruises last October/November. The cruises were 12, 7, 7, and 13 days. Same price for unlimited for any or all of those cruises.

Seemed a little strange to me that 7 or 39 days would be the same amount, but that's the way it worked.

Sooner or later they're going to figure out the discrimination.

Definitely too much if all you're doing is 7 days. Not too bad for 14 and even better the longer you're cruising.

BTW, the speed is pretty good during off peak times. Tonight it is a little slower, but way better than it used to be.

Edited by shrimpboat123

Hay Shrimpboat, can you tell me about the speed. I know this is a long standing question, but what I am looking for is the comparison between other lines. I have recently been on Princess and NCL and they have great download strength. I understand there may be a 'new type' of internet on ships currently (as compared to 10 years ago). Do you know if NA has that kind?

Just wondering your thoughts on the matter. Thanks for posting, leave 3.6.16I own my own biz and need to keep updated via email.

They are offering unlimited internet for $249. Doesn't seem to matter what the duration. The keyword is until you "disembark ".

This is true but the morning we arrived in Fort Lauderdale, it was showing a new sign up. But much better than counting the minutes.

Great - thanks! I only use about 5 min per day to download/upload email batches, so a couple of 30 minutes packages for my upcoming 12-day will save me about $17 from the 100 min/$55 block I used to buy!

I am interested in doing the same thing as you. Tell me, do you type emails and save them as drafts, sign in then send them?

Once you're connected to wifi on the ship, you just use it like regular wifi with your regular email program?

Thanks for the clarification - I haven't used the internet on the ship in 13 years and I bet things have changed a bit:p

Ruth,

So if I am on a Collectors cruise say a 7 night and 12 night B2B under one booking number for the 19 nights then my internet minutes will not vanish into thin air at the end of the 1st segment (7 days)?

Ruth,

So if I am on a Collectors cruise say a 7 night and 12 night B2B under one booking number for the 19 nights then my internet minutes will not vanish into thin air at the end of the 1st segment (7 days)?

Mine didn't, so they shouldn't go "POOF!" for you, either. Although there's never a guarantee it's going to work the same way twice. ;)

My four cruises were on three booking numbers, with the two 7-day cruises booked as a Collectors' cruise. It didn't seem to matter, as I never even had to confirm with the person in charge of Internet that my minutes would roll over.

I'm not sure. I know that the westy has had it at some point. Not sure if it still does. I think maybe tge Zuiderdam and the NA but I sure wouldn't want to place any bets on that info ;).

Nieuw Amsterdam had unlimited plan in November. Zuiderdam had traditional plans on recent New Year's Holiday cruise, with no unlimited option.

Edited by travelinjones

Hay Shrimpboat, can you tell me about the speed. I know this is a long standing question, but what I am looking for is the comparison between other lines. I have recently been on Princess and NCL and they have great download strength. I understand there may be a 'new type' of internet on ships currently (as compared to 10 years ago). Do you know if NA has that kind?

Just wondering your thoughts on the matter. Thanks for posting, leave 3.6.16I own my own biz and need to keep updated via email.

The last couple of days the speed seems to be slower. I did a speed test from a site today and only got 270kbps up and 340 kbps down. The speeds seemed faster than that at the beginning of the cruise. Email works fine as far as I can tell.

I've also discovered that the system knocks you off from time to time without you knowing. Many times I've had to log back in. A bit of an inconvenience.

One more thing. You can receive the WIFI signal on Half Moon Cay.

There is also a Cell Tower on HMC now and you can get a Bahamian Tel Cellular (BTC) connection.

I am interested in doing the same thing as you. Tell me, do you type emails and save them as drafts, sign in then send them?

Once you're connected to wifi on the ship, you just use it like regular wifi with your regular email program?

Thanks for the clarification - I haven't used the internet on the ship in 13 years and I bet things have changed a bit:p

I use Windows Live Mail. I just write things normally while disconnected and hit Send. They sit in the Outbox until a connection is made. When I connect they usually immediately start going out, any waiting incoming are downloaded, and I quickly disconnect. Sometimes I have to kick-start the process by clicking the Send/Receive All function.

This usually takes just 1 or 2 minutes, because there's a couple of other things I do to minimize the time:

First, before boarding I change from my normal complex home page to the very simple google.com, so I don't have to load up a home page with a lot of stuff I don't want to see or use each time I connect. (POA1 has told me that a blank home page should work, but it never has for me, so I stick with the google.com which only takes a couple of seconds to load.)

Second, I use a single email account ONLY for cruising, so it doesn't usually get "known" enough to start getting spam ... and if it does I discard it and set up a new one.

Third I ask my family and friends (who are the only ones who know of this email account) not to send me anything large like pictures, and no stuff like jokes unless they're short.

After reading my mail off line and typing up replies, I do another connect. On my last cruise only once did I hit a 3 min logon, and the majority were 1 minute.

When I'm in a port where I can get free or very cheap wifi I will check my normal email accounts and maybe send mail with a picture or two, and maybe check what's going on with CC.

Good luck! :)

Edited by jtl513

The last couple of days the speed seems to be slower. I did a speed test from a site today and only got 270kbps up and 340 kbps down. The speeds seemed faster than that at the beginning of the cruise. Email works fine as far as I can tell.

That makes sense, as more people are likely getting online to confirm travel plans and such. I've experienced the same on other lines.

Tom

Bought the $249 unlimited on my Nieuw Amsterdam cruise a couple weeks ago.

They cut it off the morning of disembarkation. Wasn't happy about that as I wanted to check my social media at 5am-6am when I got up and AT&T cell signal wouldn't reach that far off the coast.

Speed is OK. Good enough to post pics on Facebook and SHORT videos. 40 seconds or less. Tried to post one video that was over one minute long and it wouldn't upload.

Wifi in my cabin and throughout ship, so no problem connecting from anywhere.

The system does log you off constantly after not using it for like 20 minutes, or if you get disconnected from being in an elevator or something, so it is annoying having to log back in constantly, but not as annoying as having to count your minutes and remember to log out constantly yourself to save money.

I always prefer unlimited as it gets frustrating to pay by the minute and when the internet gets hung up (frozen) or something, and you are charged for it.

Edited by Cruiser 4 Life 66

Thank you for the information.