RCI won't let me upgrade from an ocean view to a balcony after final payment

They are saying that because i'm after final payment I cannot upgrade from an ocean view room to a balcony. The price now is showing less money than we payed for an ocean view. I wouldn't even ask for the refund of the difference in price, I just want to have the balcony instead of the ocean view.

The person on the phone said she wouldn't be able to do it because the rate on the website is only for "first time cruisers".

I have NEVER heard of a first time cruiser rate. Does anyone have any idea what that's all about?

Sometimes rates are for "new bookings", but I've not heard of a "first time cruiser's" rate. I'd call Crown & Anchor if you are a member. Otherwise call back, hopefully you will get someone cooperative.

Thank you everyone! We are calling the C&A number again to see what we can do. It just seems very odd. We have two cabins booked as balcony and we want to get our third cabin to the balcony too. is it really worth the headache to us from RCI to give us a hard time over $200 when we've already invested multiple cruises and over $10k on this one?

Like they say, call 3 times, get 3 different answers.

Some employees just do their job, others try and please.

Keep calling, even the Crown and Anchor number.

/

Thank you! yeah, it feels like we've been burned because we booked a year in advance on board. She literally told us that those rates were for first time cruisers and we told her it seemed like they were penalizing us for being frequent cruisers. Just didn't seem right! Told us we could have the cabin, but we wouldn't get the low rate. Instead we would have to pay them $300 MORE dollars and lose $100 OBC. WHAT?

Thank you! yeah, it feels like we've been burned because we booked a year in advance on board. She literally told us that those rates were for first time cruisers and we told her it seemed like they were penalizing us for being frequent cruisers. Just didn't seem right! Told us we could have the cabin, but we wouldn't get the low rate. Instead we would have to pay them $300 MORE dollars and lose $100 OBC. WHAT?

She might be confused between first time cruiser and new booking

Im guessing but I would say that you are talking about your Freedom cruise this March.

Many of those are on the going, going gone weekly sale that is restricted to new bookings. Call back Thursday and they should then honour the price.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

Im guessing but I would say that you are talking about your Freedom cruise this March.

Many of those are on the going, going gone weekly sale that is restricted to new bookings. Call back Thursday and they should then honour the price.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

Correct! Good catch! Thanks so much. Will try then.

That D3 price on March 6 is still more than I paid for my JS, so it does pay to book in advance :D

Keep calling and asking. Never give up. We purchased a cruise (inside stateroom) within a month of sailing. They then dropped the price on balconies. First they said it was only for new bookings and we would lose our OBC. We called 3 or 4 times and they moved us and we kept our OBC. Persistence is the key. The worst that will happen is they will continue to say no.

Best of luck! No matter what have a great cruise!

JoeRum

You guys should quit your moaning. You get a good deal. For those of us not in the USA, we pay in £ what you pay in $, we get no allowances if the cruise price drops after we book, it's tough luck, and we never get a call from the upgrade or upsell fairy.

And we don't even have a UK RCI office anymore.

You guys should quit your moaning. You get a good deal. For those of us not in the USA, we pay in £ what you pay in $, we get no allowances if the cruise price drops after we book, it's tough luck, and we never get a call from the upgrade or upsell fairy.

I totally agree! In Europe you get nothing, no prize adjustments anytime after booking, even if done over a year before cruise date, no changes or cancellation without fees and absolutely no chance of free upgrades or any changes after final payment.

The easy solution is to book with a US travel agent, as I do.

I note that your separate issue does not diminish the OP's.

You can get price drops in the UK if your TA will ring RCL but most will not. I have not had any upsells but have had a number of free upgrades. How many times have you cruised with RCL?

Edited by trojan3000

That D3 price on March 6 is still more than I paid for my JS, so it does pay to book in advance :D

Last I looked a JS is priced more than our SLS this March and for the second week a GS is priced substantially higher. I love booking early as you get the cabin you want and the prices are almost always cheaper.