Amsterdam tender hits reef in the Cook Island

Kiwi_cruiser

I, for one, was majorly impressed that the captain was working alongside other officers and crew in the water helping the passengers. Although this is what we might expect him to do, there are too many instances where a person in charge fails to live up to expectations.

Captain Jonathan is the finest Captain I have sailed with. He is out around the ship, always willing to say hello. The staff respects him. The crew operates like a well oiled machine.

In this case an errant wave pushed the lifeboat out of the cut onto the reef. Not an error in seamanship, an act of God. The Captain wisely suspended all tendering ashore, and recovered those already ashore.

This is a link to the photos taken in Rarotonga by Bill and Mary Ann (WCB)....

http://cruisingwithbillandmaryann.blogspot.com/2016/01/report-27-avatiu-rarotonga-cook-islands_28.html

One of the photos showed the big step getting into the tender from the dock....I personally could probably "drop in" to the tender...but I am not so sure I'd be able to climb up and out of it.....

568817607_WCBphotooftenderinRarotonga-27Jan2016-alongstepdown-orup.jpg.130b050cae996590e4320cf979d3ea8f.jpg

Shhhh - it's on our itinerary in April. I don't think it should have an effect - at least, I hope not

You will likely be at the northern tender port, not the one in question.

From my experience, if the northern one is not usable, which is common, HAL will cancel the stop: not a World Cruise, you know.

....but the water looked beautiful....!!

Oh, it is! It is!

When I was there I was off on some shore excursion or other that did not include swimming. We stopped somewhere for a break, and that beautiful water was just the other side of a beach. Before I knew what was happening, off came my shoes and I was running into the surf. :eek:

One of my fondest memories of that cruise. :D

Well OK, it was the after the day after the day after.:rolleyes:

Thanks for posting that. :D. (I really thought it would be "jumped over" under the guidance of headquarters PR).

I went to his blog and read the latest. Haven't had time this week to read much.

(Love the comments on sealing wax. Will have to look for some and restart using it. So classy.)

Thanks for posting that. :D. (I really thought it would be "jumped over" under the guidance of headquarters PR).

I went to his blog and read the latest. Haven't had time this week to read much.

(Love the comments on sealing wax. Will have to look for some and restart using it. So classy.)

He did make it clear he was restricted in what he could report.