Choosing between the Island, Coral, and Star - Please help!

kingsgirl

I'm looking to book two cruises to Alaska (back to back, one northbound, one southbound) and there are three ships to choose from.

They are the Island, Coral, and Star.

Which ship should I choose and why?

I'd be a first time Princess cruises (only sailed RCL at this point).

There are many threads regarding which Princess ship to sail in Alaska. 90% plus will suggest the Coral Princess. Her sister ship, the Island went through a not so flattering modification. I have sailed on the Coral several times and she is one of my two favorite ships.

There are many threads regarding which Princess ship to sail in Alaska. 90% plus will suggest the Coral Princess. Her sister ship, the Island went through a not so flattering modification. I have sailed on the Coral several times and she is one of my two favorite ships.

Are they identical ships or something? Like all in the same class? I'm not sure how Princess categorizes their ships.

Why is the Coral the favourite ship? Is she the most recently refurbished or something?

Are they identical ships or something? Like all in the same class? I'm not sure how Princess categorizes their ships.

Island and Coral are sister ships. Star is a little bit wider. In my opinion, they butchered the Island (and I won't cruise on her) and there was such an uproar that they canceled the same changes on the Coral (not sure if passengers really influenced Princess' decision NOT to do the same).

Why is the Coral the favourite ship? Is she the most recently refurbished or something?

The Coral has absolutely wonderful viewing areas both forward and aft. Depending on which stateroom you choice, you could have some fantastic views, but you should still get out. I had the last cabin on the first bump out. Loved it with the wrap around glass balcony railing. I was further back so the first few cabins acted as my wind breaker.

The Coral is a much smaller ship (less than 2,000).

People here mention Coral the ship of choice for Alaska. Why not Star or Island?

Booking this week and deciding which ship/date to choose. Can you help? All three do the land tour we want.

The Star would be my second choice and the Island last due to all the nasty changes.

The addition of 200 plus passengers and 150 plus new cabins.

The loss of a the large 2 level Universe lounge and no addition of any additional venues or changes to dining that can handle all the extra people.

The lines for anytime dining were ridiculous and lasted for 2-3 hours every night.

Poor Island Princess was mutilated during her last drydock. All viewing areas at the stern were converted to more cabins and a large lounge met the same fate. Total result: a couple hundred more passengers, less public space and no walk around the ship deck. Coral escaped Island's fate and also has an International Café.

Coral is the favorite because Island had a recent remodel which many of us considered to be a mistake - public rooms and promenade deck space turned into cabins for a few hundred more passengers.

Currently Tie) Star & Coral

Last) Island

Personally I prefer the Star: While the Star has 600 more passengers than the Coral it also has a large International Cafe and plenty of viewing space all around including the aft area plus plenty of public space. The Coral is a smaller ship, has a small International Cafe, has a forward viewing buffet area, a larger Wheelhouse Bar. Both have indoor pools and hot tubs. Either one is a good choice.

The Island was built as a sister ship to the Coral, but a 2014 major dry dock has added cabins for over 200 passengers, removed the Universe Lounge, removed aft viewing space and other things, plus no International Cafe.

One note on the Coral Princess the Princess web site deck plans for May 2017 show the fitness center in the area on deck 6 aft where the Universe Lounge is currently located. Is something going on? Don't know for sure, but worth an inquiry to Princess. Elimination of the Universe Lounge is a negative for sure and places the Star in first place on it's own.

I was on the Coral to Alaska in September and loved the ship. We never felt crowded while watching the scenery on the main decks.I would not hesitate to book the Star in Alaska. We took her to the Pacific and enjoyed the ship.I would not book the Island. I sailed on her before the cabins were added. I think the ship would feel crowded with the extra people and cabins they added. I could be wrong.

We chose the Coral, for the reason's that so many have recommended.

I was reading reviews on the Star, and they just did not seem that great.

If you are traveling this Summer, the Coral is just now coming out of dry-dock. Will have the new Princess Mattresses, and the new SHARE dining venue.

I know that several of us here on CC are awaiting the reviews of the updated Coral Princess after the first sailing, which departs tomorrow!

Yes, the Coral and the Island were sister ships. And, as mentioned, at last drydock, the Island was modified. Both ships are narrower ships, which can transit the Panama Canal. So, this is why the do the Panama Canal and Alaska cruises.

The Coral has the smaller Atrium instead of a Piazza. And, the smaller International Cafe (why they couldn't convert the Patisserie to Int'l Cafe???) But, we still chose the Coral.

Edited by Wishing on a star

sknight, Those deck plans also still show Sabatini's instead of SHARE. And they also still show the fitness center/gym on the upper deck. they certainly would not need two on the ship. It is still showing the Universe Lounge Upper Level on deck 7.

Not sure I am putting that much stock in that deck plan right now.

Edited by Wishing on a star

Like many others will say:

1. Coral

2. Star

3. Island

However, having said that, I am booked on an Alaska Connieusser Cruise Tour next June (OB6). It is offered on both the Island and Star. All but one of the dates on Island is sold out. Star has many openings left on multiple dates.

I've sailed Coral once and Star twice. (Yep, I'm still pretty much a n00b with only 6 cruises completed so far.) I liked both ships for different reasons and wouldn't hesitate to sail on either one.

Thank you all for the posts. We booked the Coral with 4 days land precruise. Our TA got us a $950 cut off Princess rate. :)

That's great :)

I chose the Coral for our cruise as well. I wanted nothing to do with the Island after hearing all the negatives after her dry dock, and I've already sailed on the Star. Plus, the Coral has the great forward and aft viewing decks, perfect for Glaicer Bay.

When will you be going?

We were unfortunate to sail on the Island after she had been 'mutilated' and would not recommend her. The walk right round the Promenade deck has been cut short with the addition of additional cabins but laughingly they have left the signs up telling you how many times around the deck is one mile. The gym now looks as though it is an afterthought and shoved in a cupboard. We did not have any children with us so did not use the children's facilities but gather they have been downsized. The aesthetics of the ship have also been ruined. We are also looking at the Panama cruise but will not be sailing on the Island again nor would we recommend her.

You're right about the Island Princess. We just cruised on her through the Panama Canal was very disappointed in what they did in the retrofit. So much so, that I don't care to cruise on the Island again. We've been on the Star 3 times and don't wish to cruise on that ship again. I call the Star the sausage ship due to lots of sausage dishes being served at the Lido Buffet. The chef must of made a deal with a sausage company, they got plenty of it cheap! The chef even go crafty and stuck a hot dog down the center of a meatloaf. It was served hot one day, and cold the next on the salad bar. I'm not a fan of either.:eek:

We've never been on the Coral and that would be my choice to experience.

We were unfortunate to sail on the Island after she had been 'mutilated' and would not recommend her. The walk right round the Promenade deck has been cut short with the addition of additional cabins but laughingly they have left the signs up telling you how many times around the deck is one mile. The gym now looks as though it is an afterthought and shoved in a cupboard. We did not have any children with us so did not use the children's facilities but gather they have been downsized. The aesthetics of the ship have also been ruined. We are also looking at the Panama cruise but will not be sailing on the Island again nor would we recommend her.

And the people in those cabins by the doors that open to the outside Promenade deck complain about those doors opening and closing all day and night long. People latch the doors open and maintenance comes along and shuts them. Worse hatchet job to a ship ever.

So all of you Island haters... let me come to her defense. We recently sailed on her in December for the Westbound Panama Canal transit, after her so-called "mutilation". Having never sailed her before, I never noticed any shortcomings. A walk-around the deck is still possible; the Promenade needs an interior cross-ship passage to complete (doors are often left propped open), and it's possible to walk around the the Sun deck if one doesn't mind doing stairs aft at the Sports deck (after all, what's the purpose of exercise anyway?). The crew was great. Our cabin steward was outstanding. We had forward viewing areas on the Baja deck. The shows were excellent and the Princess Theater has an LED wall which allows for fantastic backgrounds during shows. Sabatini's was intimate, excellent with wonderful staff. Captain Singer stopped by our table to chat during our dinner. The Maitre D' on this ship is the best in the fleet. The dining room staff staged a special birthday party for someone in our group of 10 with shrimp tempura appetizers (not on the menu), complimentary champagne, a full birthday cake and a solo serenade by a member of the waitstaff. Waiters remembered and greeted us by name during our journey.

Oh, and here is a picture of her "mutilation". She may present a different profile, but I wouldn't call her ugly. Despite the addition of staterooms, she was hardly crowded.

Don't be a sailing "snob" and give her a try. I doubt you'll be disappointed unless you're looking specifically for disappointment, in which case, you'll be sure to find it no matter which ship you choose.:rolleyes:

IMG_3039.jpg.c3a206a5efe200a1010d71a784009996.jpg