Tip question

JABrown104

If we do pre-paid gratuities, is there any reason to bring cash for tips?

I know we need to tip the porters in the port, and if we order room service. But is there anything we're missing? Do we have to tip servers when they bring drinks?

Thanks!

I know we need to tip the porters in the port, and if we order room service. But is there anything we're missing? Do we have to tip servers when they bring drinks?

Thanks!

You are set.. Tips are added to your bar bill as you order..happy cruising

Thanks!

No need at all, and you can always add tips on the bottom of any tickets you sign.

I never travel with singles, at least from home and end up going home with a lot of them.

No need at all, and you can always add tips on the bottom of any tickets you sign.

I never travel with singles, at least from home and end up going home with a lot of them.

I realize OP is sailing Carnival and apparently they have a tip line on their tabs. Not all cruise lines have that feature. On HAL there is no way to add a tip to a bar tab. Aside from the automatic hotel service charge (tip) to on board accounts, all other tips are in cash unless you increase the HSC but that would not provide it to a specific server.

Yes...bring cash! Why wouldn't you? I can't imagine going ANYWHERE without cash! CASH is KING! Bring cash! Yes..you can add tips to your account, but not for porters, cabs, room service, etc... For drinks..you can write it onto your tab.

Edited by cb at sea

Thanks!

It depends on your style. Your prepaid tips will cover everything other than what's charged on board, and as others have said, those are charged to your account. I'm platinum on Carnival but haven't sailed them in a couple years. Last time I sailed, you could add tips for room service to the slip you sign when they bring it you, but we haven't ever done it that way--we always have some ones so we can give a couple when RS is delivered. You can always go to Guest Services and up your tips if you feel your steward or waiter has gone above and beyond. We've always given cash in those instances.

If you have children who'll participate in Camp Carnival, know that the staff there isn't included in your prepaid tips. I always used that as an opportunity to teach my DD about tipping and had her give them an envelope with a thank you note and a little $$ in it.

Have a great time on your first cruise!!

Edited by Quilting_Cruiser

Yes...bring cash! Why wouldn't you? I can't imagine going ANYWHERE without cash! CASH is KING! Bring cash! Yes..you can add tips to your account, but not for porters, cabs, room service, etc... For drinks..you can write it onto your tab.

Even though you can add extra tip for your bartenders, I always feel if I tip in cash directly to their hand, they have a much higher chance of actually getting to keep that tip. All others I really think they go into a pool to be divied up.

Again, for new cruisers or those who do not know the practice on all cruise lines, there are some cruise lines where you cannot write a tip onto a tab at the bar. An automatic tip is added but if you wish to tip the bartender a bit over and above, on some cruise lines you must do so in cash.

Thanks!

If you will be taking land tours, you will need cash there. Also in ports you won't use a credit card for small things.

Paying the pre-paid gratuities will do just fine.

However, if you should happen to get great service from your room stewards or dining stewards (or anyone else onboard), you might want to have a little extra cash to put in an envelope with a little note showing your appreciation for the extra effort they put in to make your vacation fantastic!

Just a thought.

Thanks!

No.

:D But only after they have looked at you. Not in anticipation of them looking at you or midway through the look.;)

I think it depends on the person. Sometimes I give a couple bucks if I think a crew member is considering looking at me. I cover my bases that way. But, then, I'm a very generous tipper. ;):p

I think it depends on the person. Sometimes I give a couple bucks if I think a crew member is considering looking at me. I cover my bases that way. But, then, I'm a very generous tipper. ;):p

I go a bit beyond that as I'll hand out those $$ if I remember a steward I sailed with in the past and he once sailed hello as I passed him in the corridor. Doesn't matter if it was 5 cruises ago. ;)

That's worth of a tip? Yes? :D

Not sure of what cruise line you are traveling on, but in addition to the room service and anyone else who that you feel deserves extra on top of the prepaid tips, if have access to a special lounge, such as the concierge lounge, (RC for example) it is customary to tip bartenders there, as the drinks are free and not included in automatic tips.

:D But only after they have looked at you. Not in anticipation of them looking at you or midway through the look.;)

What if they are wearing sunglasses, should we tip them if the glasses are pointed our way. And what if they have a wandering eye, and what if they look our way and frown, so many possibilities..happy cruising

Whenever someone posts a question about tipping anything above the hotel service charge/gratuities, you will find that they get advice from two camps:

(1) Those who get enjoyment from making people's day by giving them an "extra" tip for doing a great job of making the cruise special

(2) Those who would not consider tipping anything extra under any circumstances because they don't have to.

Therefore, do what feels right to you!

Happy Cruising!

Whenever someone posts a question about tipping anything above the hotel service charge/gratuities, you will find that they get advice from two camps:

(1) Those who get enjoyment from making people's day by giving them an "extra" tip for doing a great job of making the cruise special

(2) Those who would not consider tipping anything extra under any circumstances because they don't have to.

Therefore, do what feels right to you!

Happy Cruising!

And those who think you should tip regardless of the quality of service and those (from all camps) who will become abusive if you don't do it their way.

So I agree do what YOU think is right.