Random stateroom question...

vacajuls

Does anyone know if an electric plug in scent warmer/air freshner would be permitted in our stateroom?

I would say no based on this item from the prohibited items list. Emphasis, save for "NOTE:", is mine:

Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However "torch lighters" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and therefore are prohibited.
Edited by garnetpalmetto

I cannot imagine that it would be a fire hazard. (but I am not an engineer, nor do I like artificial scents)

http://www.wowktv.com/story/23623441/scented-plugins-cause-early-morning-fire-in-charleston-wv-firefighters-believe-wv

Marie uses some of those at our house and it is on my cruise checklist to unplug them before we go. Along with shutting off the water. :)

I've never been in a room that I thought was stinky (ever since they stopped allowing smoking), but I've seen little pop up scent things that look like they could work and you wouldn't have to plug them in.

http://www.amazon.com/Air-Wick-Freshener-Lavender-Chamomile/dp/B011O2OLOS/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&qid=1454108099&sr=8-27&keywords=air+freshener

Tom

I've mostly only ever had a balcony cabin so you just open the doors & let the natural air in - never had a cabin that smelt yet though either.

I would imagine that interior or ocean view cabins would be more prone to accumulate smells with no fresh air option like balcony cabins.

Even still, I couldn't use artificial room sprays etc - they make my sinuses block up & are not healthy for you at all. Plus they are only masking smells not removing them, fresh air is the best air freshener if a balcony cabin is an option for you. :)

Does anyone know if an electric plug in scent warmer/air freshner would be permitted in our stateroom?

I hope not. If I was in that stateroom the next week, I would need to spend too much of my cruise trying to get rid of the horrible chemical smell and/or trying to change cabins. Please don't.

http://www.wowktv.com/story/23623441/scented-plugins-cause-early-morning-fire-in-charleston-wv-firefighters-believe-wv

Marie uses some of those at our house and it is on my cruise checklist to unplug them before we go. Along with shutting off the water. :)

As stated above, those are not allowed, as they use a heating element. In addition to the dangers in the above link that warn about blocking them, the unit also does not have a high temperature shut off, so when the oil has evaporated, it will continue to heat and can melt the plastic housing. While manufacturer's claim there is no proof, many fire institutes believe these to be hazardous devices, when left unattended.

There are battery powered ones that don't use heating elements.

We have successfully used an Airwick heated oil plug in with a sensor light on several Royal Caribbean cruises. (We got the idea from Cruise Critic years ago!) It freshens the air and provides a night light. We choose a light scent and set it on the lowest setting. I have asthma which is sensitive to strong scents, but have never had a problem.

unlikely to be allowed and even more unlikely it would not actually fit based on how the outlets are designed.

bring diffuser reeds or a battery operated one.

I personally wouldn't want to give up the outlet for a plug in but I have brought along the slide-tin style freshener from Yankee candle or scentsy to leave near toilet. It's tiny, no heat or electric needed and is not overpowering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk