Bringing bottle water onto the ship

Mvwingnut

When did it change that we cannot bring bottle water and soda onto the ship? This is just wrong.... I was planning on bringing a case of water for my party of 5....

Where did you hear this? All information provided by Princess indicates you can carry on any non-alcoholic beverage. Here is the policy from the Princess FAQ's http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/experience.jsp

Reading the Cruise Answer Book it states under the Alcohol Policy: "Liquor, spirits, beer, bottled water, and canned or bottled soda are not permitted."

I want to bring a case of canned tonic water to enjoy with my Princess purchased bottle of gin in our cabin.

Anybody had a problem bringing soda on recently?

You cannot check it if it is not in a suitcase. This is a port rule. You can carry on as much water and soda as you like. This caught us by surprise last April and it was hard to carry on a case of water and a carton of Dr. Pepper. In Jan, we put the items in a carry on size and checked it at the pier.

• Like 1

Princess now has a water package. It sure beats carrying the stuff on for me. I brought it for my next two cruises. I believe it was 12- 500ml bottles for $6.90. Yes, not as cheap as the stores, but worth it for me not to lug it.

Two weeks ago, we took a case of soda on board in Ft. Lauderdale. Duct taped it to make it secure and make a handle, gave it to the porter with our luggage, and received it in our room when we received our luggage. No problem. I'd try it anyway.

I surmise that the policy will be changing over time, hence the addition to the Cruise Answer Book and the addition of the Water Package. As with any policy change (remember the bottles of wine limit?) it will take first a written policy and second the enforcement of that policy. Next week or next month, probably no difference to what has been done in the past. Next year, I would not be so sure. JMO.

I just now got off the phone with Princess and the CS rep said yes, you can bring water or soda aboard, but it has to be sealed and has to be carried on. You cannot check it. We're just going to put it in a carryon suitcase and wheel it onboard.

On Page 20, under Alcohol Policy.

I surmise that the policy will be changing over time, hence the addition to the Cruise Answer Book and the addition of the Water Package. As with any policy change (remember the bottles of wine limit?) it will take first a written policy and second the enforcement of that policy. Next week or next month, probably no difference to what has been done in the past. Next year, I would not be so sure. JMO.

Too late to edit my original post...but I went to the Cruise Answer book online and did not get the same wording???

Alcohol Policy

As provided in the Passage Contract, guests agree

not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in your stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits

or beer are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.*

From https://book.princess.com/images/cc/brochure/downloads/Princess_Cruise_Answer_Book.pdf

Perhaps there has been some recent editing?

Too late to edit my original post...but I went to the Cruise Answer book online and did not get the same wording???

From https://book.princess.com/images/cc/brochure/downloads/Princess_Cruise_Answer_Book.pdf

Perhaps there has been some recent editing?

The prohibition regarding water and soda was apparently added "in error." That prohibition was removed in the 10/15/15 revision of the Cruise Answer Book available online. The hard copy version is current out of stock.

In addition, the governing document, the Passage Contract, never included that prohibition.

To supplement our mini-bar, we brought on a six pack of Coke during our port stop in Puerto Vallarta last month.

That doesn't mean that there won't be changes in the future. I believe that Carnival has banned the carry on of all bottles of water and soda, presumably because of alcohol smuggling.

Edited by IECalCruiser

Princess now has a water package. It sure beats carrying the stuff on for me. I brought it for my next two cruises. I believe it was 12- 500ml bottles for $6.90. Yes, not as cheap as the stores, but worth it for me not to lug it.

I agree. We are now doing the same thing. You do pay up front. It is not added to your final bill.:) It comes out to less than .60 per bottle.

On our last few cruises, I was grabbing a bottle as we were leaving the ship and I think it was $2.00 per bottle.:eek:

When did it change that we cannot bring bottle water and soda onto the ship? This is just wrong.... I was planning on bringing a case of water for my party of 5....

We sailed on the Island Princess in December and I taped a baggage tag to a case of water. It showed up with my checked luggage. I also had six cans of tonic water in a duffle bag (checked luggage) and that came through with absolutely no problem.

I bought an 8-pack of diet Pepsi while in Hawaii and carried it onboard with no questions asked. Another passenger had a bottle of water which contained vodka. Security shook it and disposed of it.

So now I'm curious, and being a non drinker, I can't experiment to satisfy my curiousity. What happens when you shake vodka in a bottle vs water? No bubbles? Bubbles?

Hasn't changed.

But re water they do a dozen bottles for about $6 can't buy it at the supermarket for that, let alone then halve to lug them to the pier etc.

Has anyone been successful lately checking a case of water at Port Everglades? We have done this numerous times by duct taping a luggage tag to the water and checking it with the porters. Sounds like they maybe changing the practice.

Recently.........There have been posts saying that they checked a case with the porters and there are posts saying that they refused to take it.

The ship's water is fine...it's H2O....just like ALL water! Water is water....

So true!! With a minor exception...most bottled water is tap water from a municipal source. For most, some filtering is done, but municipal water can't compare to ship water. Ship water is either distilled with some minerals added to add taste Or reverse osmosis. Both are far superior to anyone's municipal tap water (in a bottle or not).