WOW! Booze is expensive on RCI???

ve2dx

Every time drink prices are mentioned here, we are often reminded of how they are "on par with any major city bar". No. Ive never had a drink in Manhattan. Ive never even been to Manhattan. I consider Atlanta a "major city" though and i can truthfully tell you I can drink cheaper in Buckhead at upscale bars than I can on the ship now.

Comparing the prices to a ballgame where you are only there for a few hours vs. a whole week really isnt comparing apples to apples.

You know, i see this statement about ballparks a lot. Why exactly is it not a good comparison?

You know, i see this statement about ballparks a lot. Why exactly is it not a good comparison?

Well in the sense that both are captive audiences I guess it may be a valid comparison. Everyone knows prices are outrageous at sporting events though. They pay those outrageous prices because a. they cant bring their own and b. they arent gonna be there for days.

IMHO, its not fair for Royal to charge those kind of prices to their guests but hey, people keep on buying and who said life is fair anyway?

If anyone took a RC cruise last February and are going this February, they are gonna be in for quiet a shock when it comes to drink prices. Especially if they havent been hanging out here at CC.

Well in the sense that both are captive audiences I guess it may be a valid comparison. Everyone knows prices are outrageous at sporting events though. They pay those outrageous prices because a. they cant bring their own and b. they arent gonna be there for days.

IMHO, its not fair for Royal to charge those kind of prices to their guests but hey, people keep on buying and who said life is fair anyway?

If anyone took a RC cruise last February and are going this February, they are gonna be in for quiet a shock when it comes to drink prices. Especially if they havent been hanging out here at CC.

So since the passengers are there for a longer amount of time (days vs. hours) they shouldn't have to pay the higher prices? A captive audience is a captive audience. The length of time one is going to be there, IMO, isn't really an factor. Certainly doesn't seem to be a factor to the revenue dept. :p

Is it because it adds up over the course of the week? If you're a season ticket holder, then multiply your spending at one game by 16 games for a football season and it probably works out to the same as being on a cruise! :p

I guess people could always get a drink after the game. But then shouldn't the stadium lower their prices to compete with the bar that the patrons will have access to in a few short hours?

Theoretically, it's not a good comparison, because a ballpark is more temporary, whereas you're on a cruise for days at a time. But, I'm with you, really. The higher prices are because of a captive audience, regardless of the length of "captivity." :D

I, however, am a willing captive any time I'm on a cruise, and if I want a drink, I'll buy a drink.

It's what stops us sailing with them to be honest. As a Canadian I just can't fathom paying that much for a drink. Sure I might have a drink or two in a high end resort and pay the same or more but I'm not living in that bar for 7-14 days. Sad as I'd like to try some of their new ships.

I wish I could get all you can drink beer for $46/day with tip at my local watering hole. Last week I had two draft beers and two sodas while playing pool and it cost me $22 with tip. This was just at a pool hall. And not considered expensive.

Wife and I will go out together to another pool hall. Be there for 4-5 hours. I drink beer, she drinks vodka. Our tab is normally in the $100-120 range with tip. That's the Select and Ultimate package for her and I on the ship for $116. And we have it for longer than just the 4-5 hours.

Everything is relative.

Theoretically, it's not a good comparison, because a ballpark is more temporary, whereas you're on a cruise for days at a time. But, I'm with you, really. The higher prices are because of a captive audience, regardless of the length of "captivity." :D

I, however, am a willing captive any time I'm on a cruise, and if I want a drink, I'll buy a drink.

Good attitude

Every time drink prices are mentioned here, we are often reminded of how they are "on par with any major city bar". No. Ive never had a drink in Manhattan. Ive never even been to Manhattan. I consider Atlanta a "major city" though and i can truthfully tell you I can drink cheaper in Buckhead at upscale bars than I can on the ship now.

Thats not most peoples main gripe anyway. The gripe is the 40-50% price hike last year. This Lava Flow pictured below, which would have been $8.05 including tip, is now $14.16 including tip. You can drink a lot cheaper in the tourist traps on the islands than you can on the ship now. Thats what a lot of people that dont buy drink packages are doing IMO.

Comparing the prices to a ballgame where you are only there for a few hours vs. a whole week really isnt comparing apples to apples.

12670323_10205394295712292_8466590253735730272_n.jpg

Agree 100%.

Prices used to be comparable to our local bar/restaurants. We live just south of Wash DC. (Not Manhattan,either, but not an inexpensive area).

A few nights ago I had a beautiful Pomegranate Martini for $7.90 (tip not included) in a local restaurant.

We have been on three cruises since the drastic price increases last year and we now drink less on board!

Do you think RCCL moves up the drink prices instead of the cabin prices? They have to make a margin as a company. If the choice was lower drink prices and higher cabin prices, would that make a difference? You figure that the cruise vacation is going to cost you $X per person; look at the all-in price (air, parking, cabin, drinks, etc) to decide if it's the vacation for you. I'm in!

Do you think RCCL moves up the drink prices instead of the cabin prices? They have to make a margin as a company. If the choice was lower drink prices and higher cabin prices, would that make a difference? You figure that the cruise vacation is going to cost you $X per person; look at the all-in price (air, parking, cabin, drinks, etc) to decide if it's the vacation for you. I'm in!

Yeap, I agree. I think it's a matter of choice for cruisers. Even the fares with drink packages included usually are inflated. I usually pay a single supplement, so When I choose a cruise, it's when, where, how much per day including excursions, on board spending. I budget how much I can allow myself and go from there. If I get some perks like OBC or a beverage I take that into consideration.

There is nothing worse that going on vacation and come up short.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wish I could get all you can drink beer for $46/day with tip at my local watering hole. Last week I had two draft beers and two sodas while playing pool and it cost me $22 with tip. This was just at a pool hall. And not considered expensive.

Wife and I will go out together to another pool hall. Be there for 4-5 hours. I drink beer, she drinks vodka. Our tab is normally in the $100-120 range with tip. That's the Select and Ultimate package for her and I on the ship for $116. And we have it for longer than just the 4-5 hours.

Everything is relative.

Lol Yes...You get to go out for 4-5 hours and then return home and drink whatever you like for cheap. You cannot compare anywhere on land for a couple

of hours to being on a cruise ship for days with no other option than to abstain

Anyone who thinks the booze is expensive has never spent much time drinking in Manhattan. :)

To be honest, the per drink prices are on par with just about any upscale bar/restaurant in any major US city. You're not drinking pitchers of Miller Lite at the bowling alley down the street, so, don't complain that it doesn't cost the same.

If you want to compare it to what you might pay on shore in the islands, yeah, they are expensive. But, I'm pretty sure the $12 Ketel One and tonic on the ship is actually Ketel One. The $7 Ketel One and tonic at bar in Nassau, I'm betting was purchased in a plastic bottle with a handle on the side. :)

Brian

I pretty sure the unopened bottle of beer I bought for $2, in port, is exactly the same beer that would have cost me $6.50 on the ship. The only way they would get $12 out of me, for a drink, would be sticking a Glock in my ribs while wearing a ski mask. I don't do it home and I sure wouldn't do it on a ship.

Thats not most peoples main gripe anyway. The gripe is the 40-50% price hike last year. This Lava Flow pictured below, which would have been $8.05 including tip, is now $14.16 including tip. You can drink a lot cheaper in the tourist traps on the islands than you can on the ship now. Thats what a lot of people that dont buy drink packages are doing IMO.

12670323_10205394295712292_8466590253735730272_n.jpg

They had lava flow 2 for $15 and Bahama Mama 2 for $15 on the FOS.

We are in a suite & I thought there was mini bar liquor available for purchase. has that changed? Curious to know.

Could have been before my time, but there's been no mini bar liquor for purchase in any stateroom (even suites) for many years.

" I have heard some issues with RC and getting only one glass in the MDR and no one came to see if they wanted another one or two or three."

This is exactly what happened on our last cruise. If I'm buying a package it's because I plan to have a few drinks over dinner. One glass of wine when I am first seated will not last the entire meal.

So since the passengers are there for a longer amount of time (days vs. hours) they shouldn't have to pay the higher prices? A captive audience is a captive audience. The length of time one is going to be there, IMO, isn't really an factor. Certainly doesn't seem to be a factor to the revenue dept. :p

Is it because it adds up over the course of the week? If you're a season ticket holder, then multiply your spending at one game by 16 games for a football season and it probably works out to the same as being on a cruise! :p

I guess people could always get a drink after the game. But then shouldn't the stadium lower their prices to compete with the bar that the patrons will have access to in a few short hours?

8 games

[until people stop buying the drinks the prices won't be reasonable. I am going on Liberty of the Seas next month and plan to not drink at all. I don't have to drink on vacation and I am boycotting due to the prices. It will also help with not gaining as much weight.:)

[until people stop buying the drinks the prices won't be reasonable. I am going on Liberty of the Seas next month and plan to not drink at all. I don't have to drink on vacation and I am boycotting due to the prices. It will also help with not gaining as much weight.:)

I imagine that is going to be an awfully silent protest.