Yay or Nay to onboard art?

shaun07

How do you feel about the onboard art?  

149 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the onboard art?

• YAY! the art is great
    • NAY! the art is poor
    • I wish they would offer more art
    • I wish they would do away with that art

I posted this on NCL board and wanted to see what this board thought so I could compare.

Is the onboard art good quality or is it bad. Meaning is it worth buying? Any stories about your experience buying onboard art?

While I voted yay, it is a tricky question. Our house is filled with art we purchased on cruise ships. My parents house is filled with it as well. Did we get a good deal? No idea. Was it a good investment? No idea, probably not. Do we enjoy the artwork we bought? Yup, every day. Do we wish we hadn't bought it? Nope.

So, my voting yay is because we enjoyed the experience of the auctions and enjoy and are happy with what we have. To me, that is all that matters. If the goal is to get a bargain on a piece of art that will be worth a bunch of money later on, well, I can sell you a nice bridge in Manhattan.

Brian

While I voted yay, it is a tricky question. Our house is filled with art we purchased on cruise ships. My parents house is filled with it as well. Did we get a good deal? No idea. Was it a good investment? No idea, probably not. Do we enjoy the artwork we bought? Yup, every day. Do we wish we hadn't bought it? Nope.

So, my voting yay is because we enjoyed the experience of the auctions and enjoy and are happy with what we have. To me, that is all that matters. If the goal is to get a bargain on a piece of art that will be worth a bunch of money later on, well, I can sell you a nice bridge in Manhattan.

Brian

Probably a great summation. If you like it buy it, as long as you don't expect it to retain it's value as an investment.:)

I have a couple of pieces of art from a cruise ship auction. I won my choices out of several prints playing trivia. They cost $8 each for shipping and came promptly in heavy duty shipping tubes. Had them framed and get compliments from guests.

If you buy something you will enjoy looking at for years, then you've done something smart. If you buy a Picasso engraving or sketch thinking you've struck it rich, go stand in the corner.

I voted for the art that is part of the ship decor. That art is great and adds to the overall vibe on board.

The art available for sale/auction is crap IMHO. I want them to do away with that!

Rereading the OP, I see they meant the art for sale. Oh well, I guess I answered the poll wrong but the title is a bit misleading. On board art can be either.

Edited by eel

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! We have art bought on board and paid less or equal price to what we would pay on land.

Some of what was offered was god awful and way expensive. Interesting that folks were buying such items. We have not bought any more since art auctions returned to RCI. Main reason, no room left to hang it ;)

We have not bought any more since art auctions returned to RCI. Main reason, no room left to hang it ;)

We have the same issue as well... Hell, we have pieces of art sitting in closets because we don't have room... And prints sitting in drawers... I guess I need to buy a bigger house? :)

Brian

While I voted, "I wish it would go away" I would change my vote after reading your message. I will never go to one, or buy the art, but one thing I have learned about enjoying the bigger ships is that everything that doesn't interest me draws people away from the things that do interest me making them less crowded than if only one thing is going on.

Edited by BillOh

Since they stopped announcing the art auctions every 30 minutes over the ship's PA system, I have no problem with them being offered on the ship. I wouldn't buy anything from them personally, but if people want to go and spend their money it is up to them.

The Pawn Stars episode with art purchased on a cruise ship should tell you everything about whether it's a worthwhile investment (if you haven't seen the episode, not at all). That said, if you really like the piece, then it's up to you whether the price you pay is worth it.

The Pawn Stars episode with art purchased on a cruise ship should tell you everything about whether it's a worthwhile investment (if you haven't seen the episode, not at all). That said, if you really like the piece, then it's up to you whether the price you pay is worth it.

The same can be said for most things in life! My truck is worth a lot less than I paid for it... I don't think my $120 sneakers will fetch more than $5 with free shipping on eBay. But, to me, I've enjoyed them in their steady decline in value.

I think people who are unhappy with the "scam" are unhappy that they paid $150 for a "retail value of $2,000" lithograph and find out that it was only worth $150. Ummmm, if it was really worth $2,000 you wouldn't have gotten it for $150. You're upset that you didn't "scam" the art house into selling you a $2,000 piece of art for $150.

Maybe part of it is Park West's upselling pitch. While it is a facade, it's a facade that makes the average person feel like they are upper crust, old money, the 1%. It makes you feel special. And, as long as you are enjoying that feeling, don't try to pull open the curtains, as, you won't find a wizard there, instead will end up disappointed and ruin your little fantasy.

And, as with all things, if you can't afford it, don't buy it. :)

Brian

I think most summed it up nicely don't go to buy an investment go to buy something you like. We have tended to buy pieces in almost every place we have traveled. Not for the investment (don't know enough to try that game) but for the enjoyment of the piece and the story. I have a Venetian mask, a wood inlay jewelry box from Sorrento, another large wood inlay art piece bought in Hawaii from an Italian artist (go figure), and a beautiful Hawaiian coastal picture commissioned directly from the Hawaiian artist that made it. Each piece beautiful eclectic and with a fun story attached. So will I go the the art auction on the cruise...probably, will I buy?...doubtful, but you never know what will catch your eye and be a great story to tell folks about your travels. Just go knowing that it's not about an investment but about the experience. And free champagne is a nice addition...just saying.

Brian

We have bought a fair amount of Art on cruises. We enjoy the sales events. We like particular artists Le Kinff, Anatole Krasnyansky, Faunch. Can't stand Peter Max that they are always pushing. Don't believe the Rembrandt, Dali, or Picasso are worth what they are asking and I have never seen one sell.

We enjoy the art. We like the price we pay for nice prints framed and delivered to the house. We usually get the "specials" they have when we buy. So I say yes if you like the art and the price.

My wife is a artist and enjoys the ART HISTORY part of the presentation. If you see a piece you cannot live without and realize the art work might not be worth the framing, go for it. Long time ago, myself as a novice art appreciator, I won a water color print from some one famous. It cost me $375 to get it framed by them. When it arrived it had a slightly dented frame, I called them and sent them pics of the damage, they said another one would be sent immediately, which they did. I ask do you want my old damaged pic return and they said NO, shows you the true value of "SOME" of the art. My lady still laughs about my deal.

I should say I also won a poster print from Erte(i'm familiar with him) I chose not to have it framed, it must have been worth more than I thought, they really got almost mad and up set for not having it framed.

Edited by north29

I should say I also won a poster print from Erte(i'm familiar with him) I chose not to have it framed, it must have been worth more than I thought, they really got almost mad and up set for not having it framed.

My wife laughed at prices to get the artwork framed. She took a community ed class on framing, spent a few hundred on supplies, and framed a bunch of our stuff. :)

When we first built our house about 20 years ago, we had fun at the auctions and bought quite a few pieces because we liked them, not that we thought they were or potentially would be worth anything in time. We had them framed locally (which cost more than the original prints as I recall) and always get compliments on them from visitors. My husband has an original signed Dali that he's had forever - it hangs right up there with the Park West stuff and I really don't care what any of them might be worth (although I'm sure the kids will be fighting over the Dali one day).

Haven't attended an auction in several years as we are completely out of wall space!

From a completely uneducated point of view I have seen some lovely artwork that I thought looked really nice on cruise ships, but I've never actually bought any as it's always been too expensive, and I have no real sense of what is a good price for a piece of artwork, so would be unlikely to buy - as I'd really need to feel like I was value when spending any lump sum.

Still, I'm open minded about the art and will go the events and auctions because it's something to do and I like to have a looksee... the art may not be in my price range but I do find it interesting.

You will find art in all kinds of price ranges....We have bought pieces on both our cruises, one by Andrew Bone which cost us about $250 unframed and one by Tomasz Rut (who recently had 2 painting added to the Vatican Art Collection) for $1500 (it came matted and framed). Both pieces were bought because we loved them. We are traveling on the Oasis in April and will likely add another piece of artwork to our collection.

In the end its a personal choice!!!

I wouldn't go to a sporting goods store to purchase diamonds....just sayin

But whatever floats your boat........

I don't have anything on my walls that cost a lot or is worth anything to anyone but me....it just looks good.

Edited by BecciBoo