what I saw on evening chic night

Redtravel

Not if he was a farmer, that's more a punk/thug thing.

Luke Bryan wears his John Deer hat backwards and he is neither a punk/thug... More or a style choice at this point IMO. No different than the cuffed jeans and dress shoes style that Elvis rocked back in the 50's.

I wouldn't wear a hat to the dining room period.... but I do wear it backwards in certain situations.

We were on a TA on Solstice several years ago at a table for two. At the next table was a gentleman who wore bib overalls every evening. I was surprised at first - I don't usually notice what people wear, but he was right next to us. He turned out to be a really interesting conversationalist, a retired professor who had travelled widely.

We could afford to pay for an extra suitcase, but do not choose to. We usually travel before and after a cruise, and don't want more luggage than we can comfortably manage without assistance. We complied with formal night requirements, but will be more than happy not to have to carry DH's suit and dress shoes on our next Celebrity cruise.

Absolutely no aspersions cast on the 'bib overall' wearers...what you wear doesn't display your character but maybe your personality which could be a very fun person. One cruise we had for tablemates a fellow with quite long curly hair, beard, etc go withs. Some were looking at him oddly. When we started to have a dining conversation turns out he was a (forced to retire) pilot who had an obvious tremour handicap which he tried to hide at the table. His wife was a plastic surgeon...if you're both reading this, we loved your conversations and interaction with us. No telling how a person 'looks'....take the time to find out who they are. Sorry, sounds like a lecture. Just not too big on pre-judging...I could be a candidate...LOL.

CHIC is Elegantly and sophisticated dressed - bottom line.

Jeans are not in that category - no matter who design them and how much you paid for them.

1.elegantly and stylishly fashionable.

synonyms: stylish · elegant · sophisticated · dressy · smart ·

[more]

antonyms: unfashionable

Jeans are not in that category - no matter who design them and how much you paid for them.

[more]

You might need a new dictionary and thesaurus

628d03eec761fb3a53246b76a6543fc5.jpg

blazer-dress-shirt-jeans-desert-boots-tie-pocket-square-belt-original-10259.jpg

13c0ef07176a0fc6efe9592d21a62eb8.jpg

white-jeans-canadian-tux-street-style-w724.jpg

blazer-dress-shirt-skinny-jeans-pumps-tote-bag-belt-sunglasses-necklace-large-4511.jpg

628d03eec761fb3a53246b76a6543fc5.jpg

blazer-dress-shirt-jeans-desert-boots-tie-pocket-square-belt-original-10259.jpg

13c0ef07176a0fc6efe9592d21a62eb8.jpg

white-jeans-canadian-tux-street-style-w724.jpg

blazer-dress-shirt-skinny-jeans-pumps-tote-bag-belt-sunglasses-necklace-large-4511.jpg

It is modern and very casual, but to me the look is not sophisticated or stylish for a special evening. It is a perfect look for a sightseeing, shopping and lunch. Just because it is in all magazine, doesn't mean everybody will agree on the definition. I am not saying everyone should be dressed like they are going to the Academy Awards..

Celebrity is moving with the times. Even before the change to Chic, many men had stopped wearing formal attire. For the past few years, many men wore less than formal attire. The sports jacket was a nice idea. However, with today's world becoming more relaxed, many men don't own a sports jacket or tuxedo. The new mode of dress can make men more comfortable. My husband hated bringing the formal attire. He was thrilled when Celebrity ditched formal night. He looked great on our last cruise wearing a nice shirt and slacks/designer jeans. When booking our next cruise, Celebrity won out over HAL because my husband can leave his formal attire home.

As for the person who says that Celebrity will become Carnival, it isn't going to happen. Carnival still has a reputation of being full of young people who party all night. On Celebrity, most people are not party animals. By 11 pm, most people are in bed.

[more]

Then tell that to Celebrity. Their interpretation and their suggested guidelines for their ships.

[more]

628d03eec761fb3a53246b76a6543fc5.jpg13c0ef07176a0fc6efe9592d21a62eb8.jpgwhite-jeans-canadian-tux-street-style-w724.jpgblazer-dress-shirt-skinny-jeans-pumps-tote-bag-belt-sunglasses-necklace-large-4511.jpg

Based on those pictures, the jeans are not the elegant part of what they're wearing. And I really wouldn't consider what they have on to be particularly "elegant" anyway. Definitely very casual and more fitting for every other night other than "chic" night.

The picture I removed, since it was huge, of the man wearing a jacket and tie, he was very snazzy looking, if you ignored the jeans. They, IMO, detracted from the look.

I like to see people nicely dressed. Classy is always classy, and jeans have never been nor classy or elegant clothes. Designers are promoting these images, that jeans are chic, so people will pay $$$ for them. They were made as a work clothes, so I would never consider them as chic clothes. I always dress up on the cruise and will wear elegant cocktail dresses for " formal" evenings. But that is me.

Downgrading in clothes choices diminishes the cruising experience.

Interesting that none of the photos were taken either at night or in a restaurant

Because you probably won't find it.

I just did a search for "evening chic wear jeans" and found basically the same type of pictures posted above.

As well as these:

ebfa9a7888ddeb2abf36eab593e68a19.jpgripped-jeans-button-down-w724.jpg

I guess in order to be chic, jeans must be ripped.

Edited by K.T.B.

Hubby will continue to wear his tux. I love it. Nothing like seeing men in a tux:D Wear what you are comfortable with, it's your vacation. We did see someone get turned away with shorts on at the MDR door. He looked nice, very neat but no shorts.

Think that the tux takes up no more room in the luggage than a sport jacket and slacks. So that explaination does not make it. It is a shame that young people today do not want to be in something else but jeans and a shirt. I wear jeans all week long and on weekends. When we cruise we like to dress up. Step out of our everyday and enjoy our vacation the way we like to cruise. Be happy, enjoy life and have fun! That is what vacation is all about.

Happy Sailing,

I don't really care what they consider..I have my opinion, they have theirs....

While we're all entitled to our opinion the important part is that Celebrity sets the rules, not you.

As my wife frequently reminds me, I'm only in charge of me.

What's with the "Rose's mom on Titanic" or "Miranda from Devil Wears Prada" nose up arguments about what is "chic"?

What I consider extremely well dressed may vary from you. I respect the expectations to keep a certain atmosphere, neat for dining, etc.

My idea of elegant or chic is very basic - it is centered around what I feel comfortable and confident in and fabrics and quality

that feel good on. It shows respect for the atmosphere I am entering.

Celebrity seems to attracts some clientele that tries too hard.

For those who feel that it is gauche to not be in a tuxedo or ball gowns for dinner, I submit this to you as well with my tongue planted firmly in my cheek. Save the flames, this is meant in good humor.

Please do not forget your parasols whilst traveling on a cruise ship, most especially when doing so in the tropics. Everybody knows that your skin must not show the slightest hint of exposure to the sun, since only the field hands spend time toiling in the outdoors . The gentrified are indoors naturally, but when forced to endure the harsh rays of the sun, this parasol is mandatory. Also, one mustn't forget to have your staff at the ready with a cool spritzer in case a traveler gets a case of the vapors.

:p

Fear not fellow cruisers, nor let your heart be troubled... :confused:

Rest easy and be assured that the battle has been joined...

The FASHION POLICE will NEVER cease in their valiant struggle...

...to uphold the age old standards of superfluous, arbitrary and archaic class conscious dress requirements of yesteryear. :eek: :D :rolleyes:

Didn't see any Tuxedo in Luminae. Everybody was elegantly dressed but hardly any jackets/blazers worn by men. However we are.sailing in Asia and humidity is very high. Large Japanese and Asian contingent aboard and for most part also very smart but in a Country Club style. Everybody looked very relaxed. In whatever they chose to wear. To me at least an excellent move.