Puchasing OBC Prior to Cruise

TexasHikers

Just to add a quick snippet - even if you are in the unfortunate position of having to cancel a cruise (prior to final payment date) anything you purchased for that cruise is credited back to your credit card pretty quick, along with your deposit for the cruise fare. Unless, of course, you have used a future cruise deposit and you can put that back in the "bank" with HAL. That happened to me last year when I had to cancel, and it was no hassle.

After final payment date much depends on your insurance for the actual fare, but I am pretty sure any additional charges for dinners/excursions/OBC is quickly refunded.

Lizzie68 -

If you cancel an OBC that you've pre booked, do you get a full refund or does the value of the OBC float? (Serious, not trying to get into a fight question.)

Edited by POA1

Just to add a quick snippet - even if you are in the unfortunate position of having to cancel a cruise (prior to final payment date) anything you purchased for that cruise is credited back to your credit card pretty quick, along with your deposit for the cruise fare. Unless, of course, you have used a future cruise deposit and you can put that back in the "bank" with HAL. That happened to me last year when I had to cancel, and it was no hassle.

After final payment date much depends on your insurance for the actual fare, but I am pretty sure any additional charges for dinners/excursions/OBC is quickly refunded.

BTW, if you cancel a cruise AFTER FINAL PAYMENT, you are also reimbursed the gov't taxes/port fees. Only the actual cruise fare is not refunded. My TA actually itemizes these 2 components separately, and I do not figure in the port fees/taxes when I compute how much travel insurance coverage I need.

Carol

Lizzie68 -

If you cancel an OBC that you've pre booked, do you get a full refund or does the value of the OBC float? (Serious, not trying to get into a fight question.)

Not Lizzie, but purchased obc is fully refunded.

If I buy $300 obc that is what is refunded to my credit card.

Lizzie68 -

I have no idea, to be honest. I've never cancelled an OBC. I've cancelled a cruise and got all my OBCs back....

This is a new concept I'm not familiar with. How does one know the prepayments are refunded without a hassle if the cruise is canceled?

The only thing we prepay is a quarterly federal income tax to avoid IRS penalties.

Well, if you read my post(s) above - I know because I have cancelled a cruise and received refunds without hassle. Not sure how much clearer that can be.:confused:

I have no idea, to be honest. I've never cancelled an OBC. I've cancelled a cruise and got all my OBCs back....

No problem. I was just curious if you, or Canadians in general, got a full refund of pre purchased OBC. We do, as an offset credit. I just wasn't sure how it works in non USD.

No problem. I was just curious if you, or Canadians in general, got a full refund of pre purchased OBC. We do, as an offset credit. I just wasn't sure how it works in non USD.

It works just like any other cancelled purchase, it is refunded in U.S.$ and it is converted to Canadian at the prevailing "buy" by the bank rate (lower than what we pay to but U.S.) at the end of the day.. Not sure if that answers the question?

Edited by kazu

Another benefit of pre-purchase OBC is for every $300 adds 1 mariner day.

Are you certain of this, or do you have to actually spend the OBC to earn Mariner credit?

If not, you could easily earn more Mariner Days - buying the OBC and get it refunded after your cruise.

Edited by DaveOKC

We've never built up a cash credit balance but once HAL started allowing signing up for and paying for excursions on line we took advantage of the opportunity. Initially we did it more to make sure we got certain excursions that might sell out but quickly realized when we did prepay it cut down on the end of cruise final bill sticker shock. We consider the ability to prebook and pay for any indulgence from excursions to creating a cash balance one of the real positive changes and improvements HAL, and probably other lines, has implemented.

Are you certain of this, or do you have to actually spend the OBC to earn Mariner credit?

If not, you could easily earn more Mariner Days - buying the OBC and get it refunded after your cruise.

I'm pretty sure you are correct. You must buy things.

Are you asking about IRS penalties? If so we learned years ago about the penalty, we own a business and have to be careful to pay tax the quarter it is earned to avoid penalties.

I was referring to your question about full and timely refund of prepaid items on a cancelled cruise. Lizzie answered below.

Well, if you read my post(s) above - I know because I have cancelled a cruise and received refunds without hassle. Not sure how much clearer that can be.:confused:

It works just like any other cancelled purchase, it is refunded in U.S.$ and it is converted to Canadian at the prevailing "buy" by the bank rate (lower than what we pay to but U.S.) at the end of the day.. Not sure if that answers the question?

I had an unfortunate situation when, instead of re-faring the cruise to get an upgrade or price drop (can't remember which), the cruise was cancelled and rebooked under a new booking number. All of our pre-booked (and pre-paid) shorex were immediately cancelled and refunded at the prevailing exchange rate. As we had paid on Canadian credit cards, the exchange rate was higher than the rate at which the original charge was booked by the credit card company. We had to rebook our shorex and our TA was able to get HAL to refund us for the difference that their error caused. It was a real PITA. I believe the difference in exchange rates is the only way non US residents are penalized (or make gains, depending on the fluctuations).

Now I try to pre-pay for these types of things only on my US$ credit card. The only exchange rate I worry about is the one used when I transfer money into the US$ bank account.

Another benefit of pre-purchase OBC is for every $300 adds 1 mariner day.

you are correct Dave

OBC does not count towards mariner days unless it spent on board.

Now-a-days you do not get any significant interest on your money for such a short period, so why not pay it ahead.

As to over withholding on federal or state taxes, I often do this to avoid potential under witholding penalties, which can be expensive and quite a hassle to deal with. Each person's situation is different, so do not judge.

Where did you get the idea that I was judging? I simply commented how I view it. Each to his own. I understand and appreciate the rationale of budgeting. It just isn't the way I prefer to do it.

Where did you get the idea that I was judging? I simply commented how I view it. Each to his own. I understand and appreciate the rationale of budgeting. It just isn't the way I prefer to do it.

Your earlier comment: "It strikes me that pre-paying OBC's is much like over over withholding for federal taxes. Why let someone else use your money?"

Sorry if I offended you - I did not mean to.

Edited by DaveOKC

Your earlier comment: "It strikes me that pre-paying OBC's is much like over over withholding for federal taxes. Why let someone else use your money?"

Nothing judgmental in that, it's a question any good tax accountant should ask...

Thank you. I appreciate that. But the OP had asked if there was a downside, so I responded as to what I saw as a downside. Many don't agree. Many are obviously much better at budgeting than I am. I, on the other hand, am too cheap to give people money before it is necessary. (Probably a result of my clients doing the same to me!)

Too bad HAL doesn't have a policy (and this is just dreaming) that if you prepay $90, you get $100 OBC. Fat chance. But you can bet that these advance payment are going into an interest-bearing escrow account. of some type.

Thank you. I appreciate that. But the OP had asked if there was a downside, so I responded as to what I saw as a downside. Many don't agree. Many are obviously much better at budgeting than I am. I, on the other hand, am too cheap to give people money before it is necessary. (Probably a result of my clients doing the same to me!)

Too bad HAL doesn't have a policy (and this is just dreaming) that if you prepay $90, you get $100 OBC. Fat chance. But you can bet that these advance payment are going into an interest-bearing escrow account. of some type.

I doubt that will happen, given the VERY low interest on short term items. Rates are so low now that there is talk of banks starting to CHARGE you interest to hold your money!

I'm the same as you. Just because people pre pay some things doesn't make them better at budgeting. Would love to see Hal give that kind of an obc deal. I'd buy in that case.

You're absolutely right. We cancelled an upcoming Alaska cruise. Our future cruise credit was redeposited the same day. Everything we pre-booked (dinners, excursions, etc.) was credited back within 2 business days.

It has been my experience that when HAL has owed us a refund of one sort or another, they have acted quickly to get it applied to our credit card. They have never held our money an unreasonable number of days.

When my DH passed away, HAL immediately credited to his credit card the total we had paid for FCD's. I hadn't even thought of them and had not requested the refund.

Edited by sail7seas

Past experience I'm guessing? :confused:

We had to cancel a cruise for which we had pre-paid Pinnacle etc when I learned I needed another open heart surgery. Everything was refunded very quickly. It was prior to final payment.

You have to spend that OBC to get Mariner Day Credits.