MIA for muster

dreaminofmeadows

All the times we did b-to-b on HAL, we never had to pay our bill after our first segment.

For many years, we had to attend life boat drill for all cruise segments. Then HAL changed the rule for a year or two and we did not have to attend the second life boat drill.

Then came Costa Concordia and we again had to attend life boat drill for every segment, however, we still did not have to pay our on board bill until we left the ship.

On our first back-to-back cruises on HAL in 1996 -- our shipboard account for the first cruise was closed and a new one was started for the second cruise.

A few years later it was changed.

On all of our B2Bs on Princess we have received a letter stating that we did not have to attend the second muster drill and we had no problems in not going.

On the last leg, we went to the buffet just before muster and got some snacks and drinks. When muster sounded they told us it was muster. I pulled out my "in transit" card and they said it was OK, but that they could not serve us.

FWIW...

On all of our B2Bs on Princess we have received a letter stating that we did not have to attend the second muster drill and we had no problems in not going.

On the last leg, we went to the buffet just before muster and got some snacks and drinks. When muster sounded they told us it was muster. I pulled out my "in transit" card and they said it was OK, but that they could not serve us.

FWIW...

Are B2B prices better than two separate cruises? They are not on RCI.

HAL has what they call Collectors Cruises. If booked as Collector, it is one booking number and considered one cruise. There is a small discount. If booked as a b-to-b with two booking numbers, it is called b-to-b and the price is slightly higher.

They're calling specific people? Are you quite sure they're calling them for muster? I always guessed they were calling specific people to get off the ship, like for wedding parties, not muster.

As far as I know, CCL counts the number of people there for muster but doesn't account for individuals.

I recall that they take attendance - either by cabin number or actual names. I haven't sailed Carnival since 2004, but then it was on deck, by name.

Princess always scans our cruise card, so they know who is there and who is not.

Keep in mind that passengers on the second leg of a b2b are not required to attend

Not on all cruise line. I did a B2B on Royal Caribbean, and it was mandatory to attend both muster drills.

As a side note, several years ago on the Explorer of the Seas, it took a long time for the muster drill to start after we all lined up, (and had our names checked off). Several times, 4 or 5 different were called over the PA system. This continued for about 15 minuets. Then the Crew member working our muster station had to double check all of the names on his check list. Then the Captain came on the PA system, he called the names of one family, and they were directed to contact the Captain, immediately. During that announcement, staff was told, that the Captain was to be contacted when that family was found. He sounded angry. He then directed that the Muster could begin. The crew member at our station said that in all of the years of his working on a cruise ship, that the Captain has never come on demanding to see a passenger (and his family). He said that this family was on the ship hiding somewhere, and were avoiding the muster drill. He said if they were found before the ship sailed, they would be put off the ship. If not found until after sailing, they would be put off at the first port. Would not want to be that family. Sail away was delayed about one hour.

Princess always scans our cruise card, so they know who is there and who is not.

Keep in mind that passengers on the second leg of a b2b are not required to attend

I have never done a b2b but I think that you are wrong on this statement.

DON

We have done many, many back to back (to back, etc.) on Princess and were never required to attend again after the first muster. It's been this way for at least 10 years.

Things changed for a lot of cruise lines after Concordia. We've only done a couple of b2bs (and not on Princess) since then, but we've been required to attend again.

I like going to muster drill, you meet the most interesting people. The drills now go very fast, less than 30 minutes if everyone shows up. We did a cruise about 2 years ago on a smaller ship. This drill was held on deck and the Staff were having us line up in rows, tallest in back, shortest in front, those in the back were sheltered from the wind. One very tiny lady refused to move to the front "Too cold" and told the staff what sounded like "go pound sand" in some language other than English. They tried to manipulate her to the front and she was having none of it. She wouldn't budge. The crew finally just let it go, she did show up. We did meet some very nice folks at the drill. I know that when the drill is over it is time for a drink and sail away!

Something I've never understood -- why do people work so hard at hiding in order to skip the drill? It's not like there is anything else to do during that time.

AND the longer they delay the longer the drill. If everyone would just show up on time it could be over and done with that much quicker.

I agree. Get there, pay attention and wait until it is over until you try to make new friends. The chatting and laughing and failure to listen makes all of us stand on deck longer than necessary.