Time to Get Rid of Self Service Food?

It probably does, Gut. If you keep your hands clean you are less likely to transmit the virus to your mouth etc, where it can enter your system.

That is right. It is highly unlikely you will be beside someone when they throw up from Noro (where you would inhale airborne droplets), so the most likely way for the virus to enter your body is through your mouth. Either have very very clean hands or do not touch your food with your hands. As someone else said, also do not put the 'eating end' of your fork or spoon on the table.

The well televised ship in early December had Noro and so had The Eden sailing in behind it with some 150 cases I believe, although it was not mentioned

-

I did take notice that on The Eden the hand sanitizer stood idle at both ends of dining areas - no staff, just lonely Sanitizer stands with gel in it - I did use it both in and out of the dining areas as that is what I am accustomed to do - have never had gastro on a ship

After the outbreak staff attended the Sanitizer area and insisted it be used, and all foods and drinks were distributed by staff, pool and spas emptied and staff more than usual sanitizing handrails etc

(I once read that one of the most germ prone areas are your car steering wheel)..... yoohoo Captain!!!! lol

I haven't ever caught noro on a cruise but several times I had caught a cold that has turned to bronchitis (twice to pneumonia).

I caught a nasty respiratory virus on Dawn last August. It turned into bronchitis and took about 6-7 weeks to go away completely. :(

Really hard to avoid that sort of stuff unless you isolate yourself in your cabin for the whole cruise - they'd never sell any inside cabins if people felt they had to do that ;)

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Our rules for avoiding noro virus:

Use the hand sanitiser - thoroughly- whenever it's available.

Chip people who walk through the sanitiser without using it or point them out to staff.

Use the toilet in your cabin whenever possible and wash your hands thoroughly.

Carry hand sanitisers for use before eating/ after toileting onshore.

Don't eat the street food at foreign ports.

The buffet is the breakfast and lunch time go to for most of us. We all have to work together to ensure it stays open.

Edited by wishfulone

You've left out CLOTHES. What's the first thing people touch after using a toilet? Their clothes!

So we shall just have to cruise naked.;)

I believe that there are cruises that cater for this.

Not that I've been on one or have any desire to do so. :eek:

It's bad enough looking at some people with their clothes on. :eek:

Two very simple rules will stop you getting Noro and we all learnt them as kids.

1. Wash your hands -(includes before you eat, prepare food, serve food and after toilet use, etc.);

2. Do not eat with your hands (includes touching food, biting nails, licking fingers etc).

Two very simple rules will stop you getting Noro and we all learnt them as kids.

1. Wash your hands -(includes before you eat, prepare food, serve food and after toilet use, etc.);

2. Do not eat with your hands (includes touching food, biting nails, licking fingers etc).

Easy to remember those two. Perhaps a few signs with these reminders in the toilets/buffet/MDR?

Edited by Kinkacruiser

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink!"

No matter how many signs, and how many announcements, there will always be those people who believe "it doesn't apply to me". :(

Exactly, I have seen people walk out of the toilets without washing their hands and then go straight into the Buffet area and decline the sanitiser as well. I called someone on this and they just feigned a lack of English and walked on. The staff member chased after them but I went the other way as I had lost my appetite and decided to go to the grill by the pool. Just One more reason why I avoid the buffet.:(

There's no point getting knickers in a twist or stressing out if you see someone not using a sanitiser, it does NOTHING for Noro. Noro is a virus, the sanitisers are ok against bacteria but not viruses.

You just have to hope that they use the appropriate hand washing procedure, as we do, and just be happy with your own regimen.

We use the sanitisers when entering, and leaving, food areas more because it makes others feel better.

Some people are obsessed about bacteria and sanitise just about everything in their homes but overlook the fact that what they are doing is also killing off good bacteria as well as bad. We need good bacteria if we are to protect us from and build up our resistance to the bad.

What about packing a box of disposable gloves...to be sure, to be sure!

:eek:.... love it and don't forget to pack the surgical masks too:rolleyes::D

Have been lucky and so far avoided any type of gastro whilst onboard, head colds and cabin cough not so lucky... but it happens....I put this mostly down to fluctuating onboard temps and the air con....:D

We always sanitize on entry and exit in any of the food areas and I am probably in the minority with this one but I have a rule that each time I go back into the self serve area's during a meal, even if it's just for a thingo of butter or a drink, I reuse the hand sanitizer ....at the end of the day it's up to you to protect yourself as much as possible...:)

:eek:.... love it and don't forget to pack the surgical masks too:rolleyes::D

Have been lucky and so far avoided any type of gastro whilst onboard, head colds and cabin cough not so lucky... but it happens....I put this mostly down to fluctuating onboard temps and the air con....:D

We always sanitize on entry and exit in any of the food areas and I am probably in the minority with this one but I have a rule that each time I go back into the self serve area's during a meal, even if it's just for a thingo of butter or a drink, I reuse the hand sanitizer ....at the end of the day it's up to you to protect yourself as much as possible...:)

I think we all need the totally contained suits.

Never had Noro. Don't do anything on the ship I don't do at home, other than use he sanitizer. But seem to have pretty good immune system, when everyone else is coming down with colds flu etc I'm the one most likely to have no problems.

However last cruise I did catch a cold, not as ba as the one Mrs Gut copped and got a fair idea who I got it off, shouldn't have kissed her goodnight should I.

What about packing a box of disposable gloves...to be sure, to be sure! ;)

What a good idea.Failing that and this might sound a bit like the school camps many of you would have done from Yr 4 to Yr 7 is having others serve you all.Sure it sounds a bit retro and none of you are kids anymore but I am thinking of this from a Hygiene point of view.

There's no point getting knickers in a twist or stressing out if you see someone not using a sanitiser, it does NOTHING for Noro. Noro is a virus, the sanitisers are ok against bacteria but not viruses.

You just have to hope that they use the appropriate hand washing procedure, as we do, and just be happy with your own regimen.

We use the sanitisers when entering, and leaving, food areas more because it makes others feel better.

Some people are obsessed about bacteria and sanitise just about everything in their homes but overlook the fact that what they are doing is also killing off good bacteria as well as bad. We need good bacteria if we are to protect us from and build up our resistance to the bad.

Good point, do some people rely on the hand sanitizer and feel washing their hands properly, avoiding touching anything that has been touched by others, and not actually touching their own food isn't necessary?

Also is too much of the sanitizer for bacteria making your hands less resistant to the noro virus??

Perhaps there is an someone out there that really knows what is best, so far I have avoided all tummy bugs but is this just luck.

Having staff serve all food wont make any difference. The staff can just as easily pass on infections if they are sick and they have motivation to work and not call in sick and pass their germs onto others.

If the attachment photo works then perhaps all the cruise experts can tell me what is wrong with it. I have attached a photo of a crew member on a food serving line with no gloves on with his hand touching his hair. How lovely to get a serving of knits with your meal. I am sure he did not wash his hair after last going to the bathroom.

Crew members are human too and are susceptible to mistakes, they are not superhuman. If they were they would not be working on cruise ships.

2003-02-28-010.jpg.a28f5af1e8af4171af599ab18b052168.jpg

Having staff serve all food wont make any difference. The staff can just as easily pass on infections if they are sick and they have motivation to work and not call in sick and pass their germs onto others.

If the attachment photo works then perhaps all the cruise experts can tell me what is wrong with it. I have attached a photo of a crew member on a food serving line with no gloves on with his hand touching his hair. How lovely to get a serving of knits with your meal. I am sure he did not wash his hair after last going to the bathroom.

Crew members are human too and are susceptible to mistakes, they are not superhuman. If they were they would not be working on cruise ships.

Yes better too be safe and serve yourself!!

When passengers report their sickness it would be helpful for them to be given a questionnaire on their activities, eg which food outlets they used, shore excursions taken, public areas used. Then this info could be compared to see if there is a link

When passengers report their sickness it would be helpful for them to be given a questionnaire on their activities, eg which food outlets they used, shore excursions taken, public areas used. Then this info could be compared to see if there is a link

Great idea, :D

They just need to make sure they have washed their hands first otherwise the papers and pencils will be contaminated.:p

. So wash your hands in soapy hot water for 30 seconds please.

This is what all the information says, even that ear worm RCL cartoon.

SO WHY DO THE TAPS IN THE BATHROOMS AUTO SHUT OFF AFTER 5-10 SECONDS:confused:

Edited by woodyren

This is what all the information says, even that ear worm RCL cartoon.

SO WHY DO THE TAPS IN THE BATHROOMS AUTO SHUT OFF AFTER 5-10 SECONDS:confused:

They don't on Sun & Dawn Princess, they run as long as you have your hands under them.

But they did on Celebrity Solstice AND you had to touch a button to start them again. :eek: The only taps that were automatic were in the disabled toilets.

They don't on Sun & Dawn Princess, they run as long as you have your hands under them.

But they did on Celebrity Solstice AND you had to touch a button to start them again. :eek: The only taps that were automatic were in the disabled toilets.

They were actually Sensor taps on the Solstice so you just had to wave your hand past again.:D

They were actually Sensor taps on the Solstice so you just had to wave your hand past again.:D

I tried that but they didn't seem to work. Maybe I was waving my hand too far away but the water never seemed to start until my hand was just touching the sensor. It was the same in two separate bathrooms.