Calling Experts in Trans Atl or Trans Pac

Fogfog

When choosing a route and cabin.....

what do we need to consider

Months/weather time of year...which do you recommend??

As new empty nesters we do not have to work around school schedules:D

... we will be working around holidays to see the "kids":rolleyes:

Stateroom on the ship... while higher cabins have great views--if the seas are rough--is it rocking up there?

You really do not have a choice as to time of year. April for example all ships head from USA to Europe. The likelihood of a rough crossing is the same spring or fall. The good thing is on a TA or TP they have the ability to change speed or course to often miss storms.

Views - for most of these you look out on the ocean so a higher cabin gets you a view of more ocean except when entering or leaving ports.

Smoother - you have it correct. The smoothest place on a ship is midship on the lowest deck. The higher you go the more roll you feel. The more forward or aft the more wave action is felt. We usually are midship on about deck 6 or 7.

When choosing a route and cabin.....

what do we need to consider

Months/weather time of year...which do you recommend??

As new empty nesters we do not have to work around school schedules:D

... we will be working around holidays to see the "kids":rolleyes:

Stateroom on the ship... while higher cabins have great views--if the seas are rough--is it rocking up there?

How long an answer do you want?

Many do the transatlantics in inside cabins as they go to their "other" home (1/2 year in Florida, 1/2 year in England)....it's a low cost way to travel.

Some like the roominess and "luxury" of a suite...and if they can afford it, why not.

We like the openness of balconies...we can open the door, sit outside if the weather is OK, read outside in privacy and hopefully quiet (depending on your neighbors). We rule out obstructed view cabins...that's a financial decision...there's nothing wrong with obstructed views..they aren't really all that obstructive. Then it's up to location and a decision of whether the additional cost for Aqua and eating in Blu is worth it or not...sometimes it's priced rediculously, sometimes it's a very reasonable upgrade cost.

My recommendation on S-class would be to try to get a 1A cabin on the slant because they have larger balconies. There are also a very few aqua cabins that have the same slant....they are ok. For us, concierge class has no value unless it's a concierge guarantee which is a balcony guarantee but without the risk of getting an obstructed view cabin.

On the M-class ships, concierge and aqua cabins are physically larger than the other balcony cabins....so that's what we book. There is no other reason to book concierge...it's just size of cabin.

Other than that....find a cabin that has other cabins above and below rather than being over or under some noisy area like the pool deck with scraping chairs...or under the gym (dropping weights...yup, we've been there).

You'll find the price difference between categories is small....just find a nice cabin not too far forward or back.....don't worry about how high you are....when you're at sea, it doesn't really matter if you're seeing 5 miles or 11 miles of water...it's still water.

Hope some of this helps.

If doing a TA from Europe - the US in Oct/nov I'd recommend doing one that leaves from the med Vs the uk as the weather is generally much much better.. Not just the crossing but the first few day as well...

Also I'd recommend a balcony on the left side as that side gets the sun most of the day during the crossing, so you could see some nice sun rises/sets!

As for cabin location we always go midship high and that works great for as as its between the lifts/stairs so easy to get too wherever we are,

Good advice so far. We like the westbound TA's as you get an extra hour several times. Love those 25 hour days vs the 23 hr ones eastbound. Our last one was from Southampton and we did the northerly route. We got great weather and smooth sailing compared to the sailing the previous year. Loved the stop in Bermuda.

We always get a balcony too but sometimes we ask ourselves why? It is nice for the southern route.

I am not sure I would call myself an expert on trans-Atlantic and trans-Pacific cruises, but we have completed four trans-Atlantics and two trans-Pacific cruises. We generally do B2B or B2B2B series. Our upcoming B2B2B2B on the Eclipse will include a trans-Atlantic leg and our B2B on the Solstice include a trans-Pacific leg.

We've done TAs both directions and enjoyed both directions. But it was particularly nice this past fall when we had two port intensive cruises followed by that TA from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale. After a number of busy port days those days at sea were so relaxing.

All great help here.

Will compare ships.

We really enjoyed the Eclipse in the Baltics last summer...

sailed the Connie YEARS ago so I expect she's a bit different now

Testing our the Reflection in April so we can see how we like her.

Great advice here. thanks so much to my fellow CCers

If anyone has something to add--please do:D

Cheers

Generally speaking (but not always the case) a North Altlantic or North Pacific crossing (e.g. Tokyo/Vancouver or Southampton/New York) runs a greater risk of inclement weather than a mid-Pacific or mid-Atlantic crossing.

The best location on a ship for those who have queasy stomachs is amidships on the lowest deck possible. That is where you experience the least motion.

Usually (but not always), a cabin with a balcony or ocean view where you can see the horizon is better for people who suffer from seasickness.

But all modern cruise ships, including Celebrity, have roll stabilizers that take much of the roll out of the ship. Also Captains will alter the course and speed somewhat to avoid as much bad weather as possible.

Edited by El Crucero

Not sure we qualify as "experts" but we have done more than a dozen TAs (2 more coming up in the next 3 months) and 3 TPs. The reality is that the timings of these cruises is usually dictated by when the cruise lines do their repositioning cruises (with the exception of the Queen Mary 2). Regarding rough seas (it has seldom happened to us on these cruises) it is no different then any other cruise. If ship movement is a problem for you, consider a midship cabin on a lower deck! When it comes to TAs, many cruisers prefer the fall West bound cruises because you gain hours rather then lost them on the East bound cruises.

But we look at all these cruises as a way to get to or from Europe/Asia where we like to spend some additional land time. Although we have done fewer TP cruises, they would be our favorites because you can get so some very interesting islands in the South Pacific. Most TAs are relatively routine with stops at either the Azores of Canaries (we prefer these islands to the Azores) as you cross. Princess used to have the best itinerary with their 3 continent cruise that went south to the Caribbean, then across to a place like Senagal, and finally North to Europe.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We did a west bound TA in Oct 2013, on Infinity from Harwich (East of UK) to Miami. It included 4 port visits in France & Spain. Against my better judgement, I was persuaded to transfer my mid ship cabin (7204) to a FV (stern 9156) It had a huge corner balcony, overlooking the wake ( we had a fantastic view of a partial eclipse of the sun)

The bad weather started in the Bay of Biscay, but the worst night was as we left Bilbao, where we experienced 40ft waves. We spent 3 very uncomfortable nights, but the worst was when we slid up and down the bed due to the ship's movement. The fridge emptied its contents.

We did however have 'sitting room' as well as the large balcony.

My next cruise was a mid ships balcony (1A on deck 6) as you can never guarantee the weather.

Not an expert , have never done a TA but did a TP in October 2014 and it was our best holiday ever. Spent a week in Hawaii first then cruised on Solstice to Tahiti, Bora, Bora, NZ and on to Sydney where we had another holiday!

Just a pointer when considering rooms.....TA and TP do not seem to have included drinks packages making the upgrade to a suite (access to Michael's Club free drinks) more valuable. Add on the number of sea days and I think these are the cruises you really get value for money by upgrading your room.

Whatever you choose, have a great cruise!

Here is the budget conscious version of transatlantic and transpacific cruises. :o

I've done 8 T/As (of 14 or 15 nights) and 1 T/P of (23 nights) in the last four years, all but one in an INSIDE cabin. The best deal was $449pp, (for the Reflection!) and the MOST I have paid for ANY of them was $799pp. $30pp/per day to $50pp/per day to cruise on Celebrity is an offer I simply can NOT refuse. :D

With a half-billion-dollar-engineering-marvel-of-a-ship to explore and enjoy, as well as two or three thousand people to meet, the ONLY reason I am EVER in my cabin is to sleep and shower. I very much enjoy a completely dark environment as I usually sleep in until quite late in the mornings. ;)

Even if I had the funds, I would choose to cruise much more often in an inside as opposed to less often in a more expensive cabin. Lots of people cancel just prior to final payment which can leave the cruise lines with many empty cabins that can be booked for unbelievably low prices one to four weeks after final payment.

Leaving in a few weeks for my second T/P, this one is a B2B of 35 nights for under $1,700pp, and will almost certainly be back to a T/A in the fall. Get your flights through RCCL's AIR2SEA (formerly Choice Air) for incredibly low prices. :cool:

Edited by teecee60

Here is the budget conscious version of transatlantic and transpacific cruises. :o

I've done 8 T/As (of 14 or 15 nights) and 1 T/P of (23 nights) in the last four years, all but one in an INSIDE cabin. The best deal was $449pp, (for the Reflection!) and the MOST I have paid for ANY of them was $799pp. $30pp/per day to $50pp/per day to cruise on Celebrity is an offer I simply can NOT refuse. :D

With a half-billion-dollar-engineering-marvel-of-a-ship to explore and enjoy, as well as two or three thousand people to meet, the ONLY reason I am EVER in my cabin is to sleep and shower. I very much enjoy a completely dark environment as I usually sleep in until quite late in the mornings. ;)

Even if I had the funds, I would choose to cruise much more often in an inside as opposed to less often in a more expensive cabin. Lots of people cancel just prior to final payment which can leave the cruise lines with many empty cabins that can be booked for unbelievably low prices one to four weeks after final payment.

Leaving in a few weeks for my second T/P, this one is a B2B of 35 nights for under $1,700pp, and will almost certainly be back to a T/A in the fall. Get your flights through RCCL's AIR2SEA (formerly Choice Air) for incredibly low prices.

You're lying!!! There is NO WAY you could have gotten those low fares!!:D:eek:;)

We have done TAs in each direction. Both cruises stopped in Azores, one ended in the UK, the other started in Copenhagen.

The seas around the British Isles and off the coast of France do tend to be more stormed than between Florida and the Azores.

We had fairly good weather on both cruises.

If you are susceptible to sea sickness, get a lower deck cabin in the middle of the ship.

You're lying!!! There is NO WAY you could have gotten those low fares!! :D:eek:;)

Et tu, Brute!?! :rolleyes:

Have you guys booked one for the fall yet? Harald is still contemplating THREE! :eek:

There are still some open cabins on the Explorer for the 35 nights in April! ;)

Edited by teecee60

Leaving in a few weeks for my second T/P, this one is a B2B of 35 nights for under $1,700pp, and will almost certainly be back to a T/A in the fall. Get your flights through RCCL's AIR2SEA (formerly Choice Air) for incredibly low prices. :cool:

Thanks so much

There are some great rates out there...At this time we don't have the ability to take 35-40 days off.

We haven't sailed an inside before--though we know several who swear by those staterooms and enjoy the nice dark rooms for sleeping.

Thanks to all for great advice.

Happy Sailing

There are still some open cabins on the Explorer for the 35 nights in April! ;)

Hey teecee60, I'm seeing 24 nights transpacific on the Explorer in April 2016 and October 2016. Where are you seeing 35? B2B?

Betsy

Veteran of five transatlantic and one transpacific on =X=

Hey teecee60, I'm seeing 24 nights transpacific on the Explorer in April 2016 and October 2016. Where are you seeing 35? B2B?

Betsy

There is an 11 nighter to New Zealand on 12 April, just prior to the 24 night transpacific. I got them for $618pp and $1049pp with several hundred in OBC on each leg. Current prices are more than DOUBLE those! :eek:

Edited by teecee60

I am not an “expert” on TA’s. We’ve done 3 or 4 and love them. Once we had a big storm, but no damage or inconvenience to us. I would tell you what I learned on Cruise Critic: Pick a cabin facing Africa if you want a better chance of sunshine! That works for either E or W bound ships. Also, we love mid ship Deck 6 on S-class ships. It is relatively stable, easy access to stairs to dining and theatre, less expensive than higher decks usually. We book Balcony Guarantee--don’t mind obstructions--we’re at sea--not much to see. After you are assigned a cabin, you can exchange it for whatever you prefer in your same category--thus assuring yourself of a midship spot.

Also not an expert in TA/TP, but our very favourite cruise ever was the Transatlantic we did from Florida to Spain. It's a great experience, and I'm not sure you can go wrong.

The thing we did not anticipate was the impact of the time changes ("Springing Ahead" one hour every day for much of the main part of the crossing). If we were to book another, we would aim to go in the other direction, where these would be in our favour ( as non-morning people after a few days, we were just full on missing breakfast, and the first day we had to get up and be some where at a specific time (in the Azores) was rough). For us, this would also give the advantage of enjoying some busy time touring around Europe (likely) then relaxing and recovering on a leisurely journey home.

Also not an expert in TA/TP, but our very favourite cruise ever was the Transatlantic we did from Florida to Spain. It's a great experience, and I'm not sure you can go wrong.

The thing we did not anticipate was the impact of the time changes ("Springing Ahead" one hour every day for much of the main part of the crossing). If we were to book another, we would aim to go in the other direction, where these would be in our favour ( as non-morning people after a few days, we were just full on missing breakfast, and the first day we had to get up and be some where at a specific time (in the Azores) was rough). For us, this would also give the advantage of enjoying some busy time touring around Europe (likely) then relaxing and recovering on a leisurely journey home.

We had the same issue on our Transpacific (China to Alaska). Add that to the "midnight sun" and it took a lot out of us.

• 2 months later...
Which T/P is best to do: the one in April or the one in October? I'm looking at leaving Australia via Hawaii and ending in Vancouver so was wondering which time would have the best weather to be able to do things?

That would have to be the Spring one, reverse itinerary in Fall.

Weather in Hawaii is pleasant all year round. We were there in March 2012 and had the temperatures we would expect in the UK in summer.

Done more then a few cruises, prefer the Europe to America TA'S easier to deal with the time change.

They have stripped the Trans Atlantic these day so few if any ports on them we have had as long as 8 sea days in a row recently.

TA's are best as a mode of travel from or to a destination, we are retired and don't need to detox from work so they can get monotonous.

Trans Pacific's are much nicer especially heading heading West, spend time in Hawaii and hop on there instead of wasting time and travel dollars sailing from the west coast to Hawaii.

A deck 11 A1 on the very aft on M class is one of the best locations you can have for a Trans Pacific on an M class the best of all worlds. We did a Honolulu to Sydney to Singapore 28 days and it was by far our best cruise.

Don't fret about the weather we have only been on one rough cruise and it was a lower inside and it made no difference. Just fond memories to talk of at the table.

Edited by baldercash