Adventure of the Seas--a bit of a rant

snowdayz

Sailed on AOS 1/16/16. We are a bit fussy, 11th cruise and we gave it an A+! So many winers about everything on the ship and on the boards. It's what you make it and if you're looking for issues you'll find them.

Cruise and Enjoy...nothing is or will be perfect!

We are Diamond on RCL. The Adventure of the Seas is the only ship we will not do another sailing. We were upgraded to an Owners Suite so we're very excited for the cruise. We had a big problem with the cabin steward the first night. The hotel manager etc became involved. Nothing was done. This was just the beginning of our problems. This is the only cruise in 30 we ever complained to the hotel manager about anything!

There was a post on cc about the same cabin steward several months later. AOS has a management problem.

We've had a wonderful time on our other RCL cruises.

We'll be on the Seranade next year.

We were on the 1/16/16 sailing. Didn't notice that much wear that it bothered. Yes she could use an uplift but nothing horrible. Food the first night was blah but improved over the week. I've had better, I've had worse. The bed wasn't that too bad for me. I actually slept better than I had in a long time. But all these things are subjective...each to his own.

As for the ice show....one of the best I've seen. But again that's open to each individual's opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We were on the 1/16/16 sailing. Didn't notice that much wear that it bothered. Yes she could use an uplift but nothing horrible. Food the first night was blah but improved over the week. I've had better, I've had worse. The bed wasn't that too bad for me. I actually slept better than I had in a long time. But all these things are subjective...each to his own.

As for the ice show....one of the best I've seen. But again that's open to each individual's opinion.

It appears yours is a much more "real" view than the original post.

The highlighted portion is particularly relevant...as having just an alternative view in and of itself isn't either unusual or wrong.

However...with such a post being the first one...this appears to be a "drive by" or "hit and run post".

Clearly they are not happy...but then...there are plenty of people seeing a half-empty world and not happy. That's just the way things are unfortunately.

This is why you should NEVER "talk up" a vacation to 1st timers! Had you not told them how wonderful it was, they probably would have been MORE than satisfied!

I swear, the more you rave about something, the less fun newcomers will have....it's the truth!

Excellent point!!!!!!!!! Now I know for next time. You are so right!

It appears yours is a much more "real" view than the original post.

The highlighted portion is particularly relevant...as having just an alternative view in and of itself isn't either unusual or wrong.

However...with such a post being the first one...this appears to be a "drive by" or "hit and run post".

Clearly they are not happy...but then...there are plenty of people seeing a half-empty world and not happy. That's just the way things are unfortunately.

I am not hit and run. Jeez.

But I was disappointed and what resonated was the post about the Oasis and the face painting. Just because we love our Royal Caribbean and have come to expect certain standards doesn't make me a hit and run. Just sharing my very real observations because it was a STARK difference from our other experiences. You can agree or disagree but you can't invalidate what i experienced or malign my personality for sharing it. That's not fair. The paint was ABSOLUTELY peeling on the door of the adjoing room, and not a little bit either. The bed was so hard and when do you ever get a hard bed on a cruise?? The room smelled. Sorry but it did. The food was ok.

Is this your typical experience with RC?

Mine either.

Wouldnt you want to know that before booking? I know I would. May be first time posting, but I have read and reread threads, looked up cabin numbers etc plenty of times prior to cruising.

And I agree it's subjective and I also said, and will say it again, that complainig about a cruise ship is a first world problem. It certainly feels that way compared to the folks that work on the ships. However, when you fork over tens of thousand of dollars for your extended family, you expect to find at least the SAME EXPERIENCE that we had the other two times we sailed the Adventure.

My opinion might have been subjective but it was based on a comparison to two other times I have sailed on the Adventure and the many, many times I have sailed on other RC boats as you can see below. Putting it another way, my 2015 Adventuyre of the Seas cruise had more in common with my 2000 Norwegian Dawn sailing than any other cruise since then. IF that's not worth sharing, then I am not sure why this forum exists. Buyer beware....

I do think cb at sea has a good point though, never again will I so enthusiastically endorse a vacation to others....

Edited by snowdayz

We're on the Adventure the week before dry dock... kind of has me concerned now. Ironically, we're on the liberty the 2nd week after dry dock. :D

Nah, don't be concerned, it's still cruise!!!

Ports were great, the boat was fine, just not up to typical RC standard, but we still had a great vacation. At the end of the day, a cruise is a cruise.

Please explain the "no ice show" comment.

I might have been wrong on this but we looked for ice show and never saw it. We saw people ice skating but that was it.... It was Thanksgiving week, not sure if that makes a difference.

Yes please - inquiring minds want to know.

I realize the OP is new to CC and this post was labeled in part as a rant so their return may be questionable. But I hope they return to explain the "no ice show" comment.

I am here......

I cannot testify on a stack of Bible about the ice show..... I just simply remember not seeing it advertised. It was the week of Thanksgiving so maybe somebody from RC can confirm/deny. Happy to hear it may have been a one week thing and happy to accept if I made a mistake and we missed it....... The ice shows are always a real highlight--loved it on Oasis and Allure.

Sorry if I riled you folks up, not my intent. However, I stand by my rant and my plea to RC to have a certain level of consistency from boat to boat but also from year to year.......

We still had fun.

It was still a cruise.

.....and these are first world problems.

HOWEVER--we spend a lot of money on these things, don't you wan to know if something does;t work up front?

About the only thing I would say is this: if you are sailing on the AOS and your bed is not comfortable from day one, ASK FOR SOMETHING TO BE DONE ABOUT IT. My back hurt for a week aftwards and so did my husband's.

Well we are doing the AOTS for the first time, the first part of April. Normally I would be doing a "Carnival" cruise, but since the itinerary I wanted to do (St. Lucia) wasn't until the end of April, that is why we are doing this ship. I guess it won't be going into dry dock (October??) until we get off, so we'll see.

It was mentioned the "hard beds." Well I don't know if you know or not, but to me, Carnival has the BEST beds to sleep on, but if you cannot do Carnival, for a good nights sleep, as your room servant/s for an egg crate, and that should help some.

I am enjoying reading the postings of "current" people that just got off this ship, and what their (yes I know it is their opinion) opinions are. I am not a nit picky person, but I'll try to write a review on this ship when I get back.

Well we are doing the AOTS for the first time, the first part of April. Normally I would be doing a "Carnival" cruise, but since the itinerary I wanted to do (St. Lucia) wasn't until the end of April, that is why we are doing this ship. I guess it won't be going into dry dock (October??) until we get off, so we'll see.

It was mentioned the "hard beds." Well I don't know if you know or not, but to me, Carnival has the BEST beds to sleep on, but if you cannot do Carnival, for a good nights sleep, as your room servant/s for an egg crate, and that should help some.

I am enjoying reading the postings of "current" people that just got off this ship, and what their (yes I know it is their opinion) opinions are. I am not a nit picky person, but I'll try to write a review on this ship when I get back.

So i had not noticed the hard beds were a "thing" but that's concerning. Is the policy of no egg crate ONLY on the AOS or is this a RC thing? Honestly, THAT would seriously get me to rethink RC. We had bad backs for a week afterwards.....and for me, sleeping is usually the one of the best parts of a cruise. Love the comfy beds and the sway of the ocean.

I had the saaaaaame experience last year on Adventure. The whole crew seemed out of sync, out of energy, and unhappy. Service was just bad, food was only mediocre. We had 8 other family members with us, half of whom had never cruised before. I don't think we could pay them to take another cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Interesting how people on the same ship and cruise have entirely opposite experiences.

Having read parallel threads on this cruise and ones right before and after the same timeframe...it's a mixed bag...mostly positive. No surprise there.

It's unfortunate that some people have experiences below their expectations - no doubt. But after many years of cruising, and also reading posts at this site...I've also learned 50% of any cruise experience is based on what cruisers make of things, and the other 50% of what others contribute overall.

We sail tomorrow on AOS. I don't expect to be disappointed at all. Really looking forward to leaving the sux inches of snow that just fell today!

138East, is it possible for you to come back and let us know of your experience, when you return home from Adventure? I will be sailing her in May and I am curious. Thanks!

Foam eggcrate mattresses harbor disease. Hospitals no longer use them for this reason, and I'd bet that's why they're no longer available on the boat(s).

Especially since the AOS seems to be "sick" frequently.

Feeling trepidation towards my June cruise on her....

The egg crate mattresses are not used in hospitals because they are flammable. They never reused the egg crate mattresses in the hospitals. If we used them they were brand new. I hate to think that Royal Caribbean reuses the egg crate mattresses.

The egg crate mattresses are not used in hospitals because they are flammable. They never reused the egg crate mattresses in the hospitals. If we used them they were brand new. I hate to think that Royal Caribbean reuses the egg crate mattresses.

I never thought cruise ship egg crates were new and single use only [emoji47]

I think it can be hard for first time cruisers. Our first cruise we both hated. On a relatively newer ship but still peeling paint and abrupt staff. We decided to try again and had a more pleasant experience, although on a different cruise line. It was better. Our third, 1st on RCL, got us hooked. I can look past some peeling paint. It is on all ships. We have had the most wonderful staff on RCL compared to the other line. We even had a bar maid that we met on a different ship a year and a half later that remembered us. WOW! She got a great tip. Everything is subjective

I resoect everyone's opinion. However, if peeling paint and grubby carpet are going to ruin your cruise, stick to the newer ships. We have had some so so cruises and some great ones. If you give me great weather and a clean cabin, I'm a happy camper.

Do you also hate to think that Royal Caribbean reuses pillows?

Pillows are a much bigger bacteria problem than mattress toppers....just sayin'

I agree. There's no getting away from reusable stuff. The cruise line can't provide these items brand new every cruise.

Robyn. Which itin are you doing in 6 days?