Is there a 'right' time to do a World Cruise?

Rubbish...

A World Cruise is when you cruise right around the World in one go. The ship may be on a WC , but segment people, as you would well and truly know ,are looked down upon by the Worldies.

There is a definite segregation of passengers and the Full World Cruisers have special events and gifts laid on for them.

That is total garbage. I have done two half world sectors and other major sectors like 31 nights through Asia on a Grand Voyage.

It is always the full and half world passengers that get the benefits, parties and perks. Trust me I know from experience and have been there done that and have all the t-shirts to prove it.

We gate crashed Arcadia's world cruise a couple of years back .... 28 nights worth...was it a world cruise ........no and we don't skite about it being one.... sheesh the ego of some.........:rolleyes:

Big difference between stating one has done a "world cruise" compared to one who has "cruised around the world". :D

I agree anytime is good for a world cruise if you have the time and the money go for it.... as for kids onboard world cruises each to their own but personally the likes of PO UK's Arcadia which is adults only is more attractive to us, great to have choice :D:D

Disclaimer: I have nothing against children I successfully raised two :D

Arcadia also does what is called "Grand Voyage or Grand Odyssey" which is a massive returning loop cruise part way around the world.

The first cruise I did was from Sydney to Adelaide, Fremantle, Bali, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Port Louis, Port Elizabeth, Cape Town, St. Helena, Rio De Janeiro, Recife, Vigo and Southampton. On that one for 49 nights and got endless perks, parties and events. Then 5 years later I did Southampton to Madeira, Barbados, Isla De Margarita, Curacao, Panama Canal, Acapulco, San Francisco, Honolulu, Apia, Suva, Auckland, Bay of Islands and Sydney.

On both it was the Southampton/Sydney sectors which had the greater numbers.

That is world cruising. It is world cruising style and experience.

You haven't done a World Cruise unless you do the full cruise.

A segment sector on the ship that doing the world cruise does not classify as doing a World Cruise. Many have done segments on various ships on different lines that make up the world cruise. But I haven't heard of anyone saying that because they completed a portion of the world cruise, they have now done a world cruise.

World cruise to me is completing the whole journey. Not bits and pieces.

Edited by icat2000

On both it was the Southampton/Sydney sectors which had the greater numbers.

Sigh..... in that case are they not known as "half world sectors" ??? ...and........banging them together does not maketh a world cruise especially when they were done 5 years apart...lolololololol...:D

Arcadia is currently doing a fantastic 115 night "World Journey", P&O's words not mine, her "South America and Japan Adventure", following as we have friends onboard, weather has been brilliant for viewing the Chilean Fjords the glaciers absolutely stunning.......might have to reconsider a cruise in this region.... they are doing all 115 nights so the entire world journey.........;)

Sigh..... in that case are they not known as "half world sectors" ??? ...and........banging them together does not maketh a world cruise especially when they were done 5 years apart...lolololololol...:D

Arcadia is currently doing a fantastic 115 night "World Journey", P&O's words not mine, her "South America and Japan Adventure", following as we have friends onboard, weather has been brilliant for viewing the Chilean Fjords the glaciers absolutely stunning.......might have to reconsider a cruise in this region.... they are doing all 115 nights so the entire world journey.........;)

I jumped to Princess for South America because the British seem to think there is no country called Argentina. Why the British would want another baron wasteland island with inhospitable climate is beyond me. It would have been far better just to let Argentina keep it. For the record I do believe the Malvinas are for Argentina. But then again Australia was "empty" when the British found it. Got to love the British, conquered more countries and committed more acts of genocide than the ****s and got away with it.

So jokes aside and back to world cruises, the half world sectors give you status on those ships just as much as the full ones. You have covered too much of the world and sailed for too many nights for it not to be recognised as a world cruise.

The Princess Sydney/Sydney world cruises I don't really care for. Would not want to be on a ship full of Australians! The P&O world cruises they had style and a good vibe to it.

Its all in the wording. For instance my husband and I say we have (or will be shortly) circumnavigated Australia (note lower case c). We however do not say we have done an Australian Circumnavigation (note upper case C) which would indicate it all in one go on one ship.

I should imagine the difference being 'I have cruised round the world' as opposed to a 'World Cruise' which to me means 1 cruise, 1 cruise ship, complete circumnavigation in unbroken days.

I am in my late fifties and I would hesitate at a World Cruise, I am doing 35 days and think at this point in my life I reckon I could do up to 50 days but any longer away from family etc would be too much for me. The logistics alone do my head in :D But if you think you can cope with being away for so long - go for it.

Many of my parent's generation waited until they retired to do travel and as my Mum says, by that time things were starting to 'fall to bits' and it was not as easy as they thought.

The Princess Sydney/Sydney world cruises I don't really care for. Would not want to be on a ship full of Australians! The P&O world cruises they had style and a good vibe to it.

As an Australian who finds other Australians quite good company I promise I will try to avoid any cruise you are on so you won't have to put up with me.

Elise

We are doing 106 day World Cruise on Sea Princess next year 2017 . We are in our mid 60's and expect most on board to be our age or a little older. The joy of travel with our children being grown up. Plenty of time on our hands, now that we are retired.

As an Australian who finds other Australians quite good company I promise I will try to avoid any cruise you are on so you won't have to put up with me.

Elise

Most are good company. I have just seen on many cruises with Australians on a drop in dress standards to thongs, shorts and singlet tops in main dining rooms for dinner, feet on chairs in show lounges and people living like sloths.

I have said on many occasions you could walk to the Opera House bar opposite the cruise ship terminal in Sydney and find much better dressed and trendy people than you find on cruise ships. People get better dressed for the Melbourne cup and horse races than cruise ship. Why is it Australians become slobs on ships. That is the only thing I don't like and why I try to get as far from Australia as possible for cruising to price them out.

Most are good company. I have just seen on many cruises with Australians on a drop in dress standards to thongs, shorts and singlet tops in main dining rooms for dinner, feet on chairs in show lounges and people living like sloths.

I have said on many occasions you could walk to the Opera House bar opposite the cruise ship terminal in Sydney and find much better dressed and trendy people than you find on cruise ships. People get better dressed for the Melbourne cup and horse races than cruise ship. Why is it Australians become slobs on ships. That is the only thing I don't like and why I try to get as far from Australia as possible for cruising to price them out.

I have never seen thongs, shorts and singlet tops in the MDR for dinner and I haven't seen feet on chairs in a show lounge. Most people are well dressed and well groomed. We enjoy meeting people on cruises and can't recall meeting anyone who wasn't polite. :)

I have never seen thongs, shorts and singlet tops in the MDR for dinner and I haven't seen feet on chairs in a show lounge. Most people are well dressed and well groomed. We enjoy meeting people on cruises and can't recall meeting anyone who wasn't polite. :)

And funnily nor have I.

Indeed lat cruise the head waiter commented that he has less issues with dress code on cruises full of Ayssies than mos others with the possible exception of Poms.

Many people live in willful Ignorance

They only see what they want to see.

I'd say do it now like you are planning. I did a half world on Princess in 2011 with my 23 yr old daughter. Would have loved to do a whole world (one day. )

But now the grandkids are coming it's hard to leave them.

So go for it while you want to, they are great (well my half was ) [emoji3]