What kinds of cabins do you normally book?

Siora7777

All the pictures I saw of OV cabins, the head board of the bed was always placed under the window. Are all of them like this?

If so, it doesn't make OV's that desirable, since one would have to stand on the bed to see out the window.

All the pictures I saw of OV cabins, the head board of the bed was always placed under the window. Are all of them like this?

If so, it doesn't make OV's that desirable, since one would have to stand on the bed to see out the window.

Many OV staterooms have the bed under the windows, but not all. Some ships have Panoramic OV staterooms with floor to ceiling windows. There are also some Family OV staterooms in the forward part of Voyager/Freedom class that have a different arrangement.

Thanks.

Apparently my original OV had the bed under the window, which was one of the reasons I just moved to an inside cabin. No use paying for more for a cabin "with a view", that doesn't really have a view. And having to stand on the bed doesn't qualify as a view to me.

As someone has mentioned, I can just turn on the TV to the "bridge view" and be able to see out, just not directly.

Many OV staterooms have the bed under the windows, but not all. Some ships have Panoramic OV staterooms with floor to ceiling windows. There are also some Family OV staterooms in the forward part of Voyager/Freedom class that have a different arrangement.

Many of them, but even if not unless it is a panoramic window you won't see much.

OV are only good for people who spend a lot of time in their cabin and need to have a daylight.

We started out in E2's on the hump, with our then teen daughters in an interior nearby. Fast forward quite a few years, and now that our nest is empty, we've been in JS, Grand and Owner's suites. We also sail now in the fall when most schools are in session, and fares are lower.

Great question. I often wonder the same as there is so much talk about suites. If it's just hubby and me we will do a balcony but if the kids (3) go with us we will get adjoining inside rooms.

So I've been on five cruises so far and I'm planning my sixth one unfortunately at the end of the year (too far away). I've been in four balconies and just last year my first inside cabin, which turned out to be just fine. Not as good as a balcony, I did miss it but was so happy just to be on a cruise.

I read these boards constantly and I read a lot of about the suite life and so forth...Some of you guys have a lot of cruises listed. Sometimes it seems like everyone is booking suites.

Right now I'm booked in a balcony cabin but am seriously thinking about downgrading to an oceanview just to try it. The price difference is only $280 between the two, that could pay for the gratuities and at least I'll be on the ship.

But it got me thinking, for those of you who cruise a lot what kind of cabins do you normally book? Suites or balconies everytime? Some of you cruise b2b or b2b2b, cruising is great value but it adds up.

Just curious. No flames please, I'm just asking people who don't mind sharing.

currently you can get Z inside half the price of a balcony saving nearly £700+ for 2 week cruise out of Southhampton.

Could do a back to back month at sea for the price of a balcony!

Balcony is only any good for keeping open at night for fresh air. Sitting out there gets boring really fast and i end up sitting at the sky bar or in the Jacuzzi making full use of the drinks package.

Balcony is more useful for the anti social cruisers me thinks..

Still trying to work out why you would pay for a suite on a cruise. Space is just space and you can only occupy so much at any one time. If i want some alone time i go to the sauna or steam room and then relax on a lounger on a hidden part of the ship with a beer and maybe my tablet.. So many places like this on these boats if you look for them.

For me value is key. If its a bit more then ill go for it but if i can buy a Rolex with the savings of booking a Z inside then no way ill spend that much on a room...

Wow: never thought of ourselves as anti-social because we cruise in Grand Suites. It has nothing to do with being anti-social. It has to do with cabin space afforded us with the suite.

We go to shows and enjoy the amenities of the ship but maybe you are correct with us being anti-social as we've found that a lot of people with drink packages onboard feel as though they have to get their monies worth and end up becoming obnoxious drunks. It's so nice to get away from all that and having a large cabin with a nice large balcony is worth every penny to us.

To the original poster about which cabin...get whatever cabin you feel comfortable spending your money on. Having sailed in oceanviews, balconies, junior suites and grands we have found the grands to be the cabins of choice.

P.S. We normally sail no less than 8 day cruises with averages being 10 days.

Balcony is only any good for keeping open at night for fresh air. Sitting out there gets boring really fast and i end up sitting at the sky bar or in the Jacuzzi making full use of the drinks package.

I guess that's your take, but certainly not mine :) I love sitting on the balcony in the afternoon - depends on what you find to be boring.

Balcony is more useful for the anti social cruisers me thinks..

Me thinks you thinks incorrectly :)

I said balcony appeals to the anti social crowd. Didn't say if you have one your anti social.

I find the drunk obnoxious people to be the most fun. At least they have a laugh..

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Sorry.. are you speaking in general terms again, or being specific with your comment about drunk people able to have a laugh? I'm trying to figure out in your opinion, how much the "drunk people" and "People who have a laugh" circles on a Venn Diagram overlap. Surely, you don't mean to say that ONLY drunk people are capable of having a laugh, right? Also.. you don't mean to say that ALL drunk people have a laugh, do you?

So I've been on five cruises so far and I'm planning my sixth one unfortunately at the end of the year (too far away). I've been in four balconies and just last year my first inside cabin, which turned out to be just fine. Not as good as a balcony, I did miss it but was so happy just to be on a cruise.

I read these boards constantly and I read a lot of about the suite life and so forth...Some of you guys have a lot of cruises listed. Sometimes it seems like everyone is booking suites.

Right now I'm booked in a balcony cabin but am seriously thinking about downgrading to an oceanview just to try it. The price difference is only $280 between the two, that could pay for the gratuities and at least I'll be on the ship.

But it got me thinking, for those of you who cruise a lot what kind of cabins do you normally book? Suites or balconies everytime? Some of you cruise b2b or b2b2b, cruising is great value but it adds up.

Just curious. No flames please, I'm just asking people who don't mind sharing.

I've been in suites on Carnival, Royal Caribbean and NCL. I have been on 29 cruises. My next two are in suites and my third cruise currently booked is in a balcony cabin. I've been in inside cabins, oceanview cabins, balcony cabins and suites. Typically I book a balcony.

In my opinion suites are not worth the extra cost unless you really need the room (for entertaining for example). So why are my next two cruises in suites? For the next one, to see if Royal Caribbean has improved its suite life. The last time I was in a Royal Caribbean suite the experience was well below expectations (we had the suite because we had six in the cabin and added six more for entertainment). The suite on NCL is the only way I can get a forward facing balcony - the cruise goes through the Panama Canal. On NCL the suite experience was above expectations. On Carnival a suite is just a larger room. The experience met my expectations.

Four of the seven in the photo below are guests ...

1scgc-Sittingroom.jpg

Five of the eight in the photo below are guests ...

1scgk-IMG_1678.jpg

Forward facing balcony (part of the suite) on the NCL Jade. All five in the picture are guests ...

pidd-friendsenjoyingtheview_zps26d08748.jpg

Edited by Cuizer2

I've been in an interior four times, twice in a promenade and once in an oceanview. Doing the balcony for our next ones. So far, I like the interior best. I love to sleep in complete darkness. Of course, I might change my mind after our balcony. As long as I am in a cabin on the ship, I am happy :D

Cindy

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk